The Best Thing I Ever Did

The Best Thing I Ever Did
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“But you said you’d be back for New Year, Momoring” Momo saw her girlfriend whining on the screen to her.

 

“I know I did babe, but this competition is really important you know, it can-”

 

“It can help you get scouted by top entertainment scouts, I know,” the girl on the other end of the video call recited the sentence that had been said to them many times by Momo. “I just sometimes wish you knew how amazing you are, so that you can have some time to relax with me and the rest of our friends. You already missed Christmas while Sana and Mina came back.”

 

“But that’s just it Chae, if I relax, I slip and allow others the chance to catch up. I have to be at the top of my game at all times.” Momo tried to reason with Chaeyoung, but saw that it was getting nowhere. “Look, I will make a deal with you. If I get scouted by anyone and I'm fortunate to sign with them, then I will take you wherever you want to go in the world for a relaxing break, just the two of us.”

 

“You mean it?” Chaeyoung was clearly getting excited at the thought of enjoying some time together with Momo.

 

“I really do babe.” Momo smiled.

 

“Well then, let’s hope you win this competition and you get scouted!” Chaeyoung punched the air causing Momo to burst out laughing.

 

“I love that support Chae, I will take it with me into my performance knowing you are there with me always.” Momo softly smiled.

 

“I will always be there with you my Momoring.” Chaeyoung replied.

 

“I love you Chae. Its me and you, now and for…” Momo began before a voice called her.

 

“Momo! We need your help.” The voice came from the next room, but could be heard loudly through the closed door and walls.

 

“Sorry babe, I’m needed. Speak to you tomorrow?” Momo looked apologetically.

 

“Sure, speak to you tomorrow.” Chaeyoung replied, clearly deflated before the call ended.

 

-------------

 

Momo rested her laptop on the bed before getting off the bed and heading into the lounge where Sana and Mina were. “What do you need, I was talking with Chae.” Momo said in a slightly angered tone.

 

“I told her not to.” Mina tried to plead innocence to Momo.

 

“What topping do we get on our pizza?” Sana asked.

 

“You really pulled me away from Chaeyoung just so that you can ask me what topping we are going to have on some stupid pizza.” Momo was seething. “Sana, you really are unbelievable!”

 

“I’m sorry Momoring, I didn’t realise you were talking with Chae, I thought you were just chilling.” Sana replied with teary eyes.

 

“Come on now, you two,” the youngest of the trio of friends spoke up, trying to calm the situation. “Momo, I’m sure Sana didn't realise you were talking with Chaeyoung and I'm sure she is really sorry for disturbing your call with her, right?” Mina looked in Sana’s direction, as did Momo, and saw the now crying Sana nod slowly. “And Sana, I’m sure Momo is understanding now that she knows you didn’t know she was talking with Chaeyoung, right?” Mina and Sana now looked to Momo as Momo looked into Sana’s eyes with sorrow. Momo nodded before two pairs of eyes were now looking at Mina. “So can we hug and move on?”

 

“I’m sorry Momoring.” Sana ran and hugged Momo tightly.

 

“Hey, I’m sorry too.” Momo rubbed Sana’s back, comforting the crying girl.

 

Mina looked at the pair and knew that they were tired from the competition that ended earlier in the day, so that small argument was just one of their nothing fights rather than anything major. “So, what's going to be our victory meal then Momo?” Mina grinned.

 

“You were ordering pizza right? Let's stick with that then.” Momo said as her and Sana joined Mina on the couch and ordered the pizza they would be shortly eating.

 

------

 

Chaeyoung closed her laptop as she sat on her bed, knees held tightly against her chest. ‘Why does she have to stay away and the others come home.’ she thinks as she rests her head on her kneecaps and tears slowly trickle from her closed eyes, down her cheeks, dripping onto her navy jeans.

 

“Chae?” a voice softly called out to her.

 

Chaeyoung lifted her head to find her best friend, Tzuyu, was there looking over her with worried eyes. “Oh, hey Tzu.” Chaeyoung tried to say casually, wiping the remaining tears from her dampened cheeks.

 

“Is everything okay?” Tzuyu asked as she walked towards Chaeyoung, sitting on the edge of Chaeyoung’s bed, placing her hand on top of Chaeyoung’s, rubbing her thumb in an attempt to comfort her friend.

 

Chaeyoung took a deep breath. “Yeah, everything’s fine, im just being silly, that's all.” she offered a small smile.

 

“You know you can talk to me about anything and I won’t judge you Chae,” Tzuyu returned the smile. “You’re my best friend, I’ll always be here for you. I don’t care if you tell me something and you think it’s silly, because to me it’s not silly, it’s just you being you and me being me, that's all there is to it.”

 

Chaeyoung knew she could always rely on Tzuyu to help her get through her tough times. “I just miss her, you know.” Chaeyoung eventually said. “She said she would be back for New Year after missing Christmas, but now she’s staying in Japan because of the competition. You and Jihyo at least got to see your girlfriends this Christmas.” Chaeyoung started to tear up again.

 

“Chae, I-” Tzuyu stuttered. She didn’t know what she could say that could make the situation any better. Mina had flew back to Korea during the competition to be with Tzuyu for Christmas, and the same with Sana for Jihyo, but Momo had stayed in Japan, and Tzuyu knew how tough it was for Chaeyoung, seeing her two friends enjoying the company of their soulmates but her soulmate not being present too.

 

“It’s okay Tzu. They’ll be more New Year’s. I just wanted us to be together for this one.” Chaeyoung’s head hung low.

 

Tzuyu knew she needed to do something. She got up from Chaeyoung’s bed and went into the living room, finding Jihyo on the couch watching TV. “We need to call them, now.”

 

“Call who?” Jihyo asked, startled by Tzuyu’s sudden statement when she entered the room.

 

“Isn’t it obvious who?” Tzuyu rhetorically questioned.

 

Jihyo caught on to who Tzuyu was meaning. “What has happened now?”

 

“Momo said they are staying in Japan for the competition rather than coming home for New Year.” Tzuyu informed Jihyo.

 

“But the competition finished today, didn’t it?” Jihyo was sure she had got the dates right.

 

“Yes it ended today, remember Sana and Mina said they would be back for New Year because the final was the day before New Years Eve.” Tzuyu confirmed to Jihyo.

 

“So why is Momo saying they are staying in Japan?”

 

“There’s only one way to find out.” Tzuyu said as she held up her phone before dialling a number.

 

-----

“Mina, your phones ringing,” Momo called out from her seat at the table where she was playing card games with Sana while they were waiting for their pizza to arrive.

 

“Can you answer it for me, please.” Mina shouted back from in her room.

 

Momo walked over to the phone and saw that it was Tzuyu. “Hey Tzuyu.” she answered.

 

“Don’t ‘Hey Tzuyu’ me. Don’t you realise what you have done to Chaeyoung!” Tzuyu angrily said.

 

“What do you mean done to Chaeyoung?” Momo asked with a clear worry in the tone of her reply.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter