The Film Student

Pages (A JB Fanfiction)

I thought I would never be late in class especially since it was in the afternoon, but I was wrong. I missed the bus stop nearest to the university, so I had to take another bus going back.

I ran to the classroom, which I still had to find where, and arrived ten minutes late. Good thing was I arrived at the same time as the professor.

And I wasn’t the one who arrived latest. A student came in while the professor was orienting us about the subject. He got the attention of the whole class with many whispering among themselves while looking at him with expression of disbelief. I heard one said, “It’s JB-sunbaenim from the Film Department. What is he doing in a first year class?”

So he was an upperclassman.

He sat next to me and I was never able to concentrate during the entire class. How could I when almost everyone suddenly wanted to sit near me, I mean him, but that should include me since I was only next to him.

I wasn’t really a sociable person, so being surrounded by people was really uncomfortable for me.

The class lasted for two hours and I was only able to feel relief after that. I rushed to the door as soon as the professor dismissed us, battling my way through my classmates who crowded JB.

Was he that popular?

Outside, I found my good friend Jinyoung waiting. He was by the wall reading a book when he saw me come out of the room looking harassed.

“What happened to you? You look like you just came from war.” He was teasing me, grinning like a kid.

We were both taking Bachelor of Laws. He was already in his third year while I was just starting the college life.

I took a deep breath before answering him. “Some popular kid is in the same class, so my classmates are really thrilled and I’m not. I mean, this is college, I have to concentrate.”

And as if on cue, the popular kid came out of the classroom.

“Oh? JB-ssi?”

Oh, sheesh. It seemed Jinyoung knew him too. He called him and gestured to come. The guy approached us, the throng of awestricken first years following him.

“What’s this? Looks like your fan club won’t perish soon.”

Jinyoung does not only know him by name. It looked like they were close.

The popular Film student named, JB grimaced. He tapped Jinyoung in the shoulder and suggested they leave. He went first. His newly recruited fans tried to follow, but were stopped by Jinyoung.

“Relax, guys. You’ll see more of him in the coming days.” He said as if it was normal. Then he turned to me. “Let’s talk some other time, but first, welcome to college.”

He also welcomed everyone before leaving us and going after JB.

I just sighed and went to our next class.

Almost every day, I saw him. He often hung out with Jinyoung even when I was with the latter. However, JB wouldn’t really talk to me unless necessary. He’s a snob!

At first I thought it probably because of our Zodiac signs, but no. He was just really a snob. And it was fine with me.

Well, until one day.

I was in the library reviewing for the upcoming exams with Jinyoung when he was asked to come to the Law Students Council’s office over some internal matter. He was the Council’s Chairperson.

Not long after he left, JB came looking for him, so I told him about it. He said he’d just wait for him there in the library and I let him. He wasn’t bothering me anyway. He was busy with his camera and laptop.

Hours passed and I didn’t notice I fell asleep. I woke up when the night already set in. The library was already empty, almost, saved for me and JB. Yes, him. The popular, but snob guy from the Film Department. He was sleeping, his head resting on his arms on the table. His camera was already stored away and his laptop closed.

I stretched my arms and a blanket fell from my shoulders. I picked it up and looked at the sleeping guy across me. Did he put it?

I checked the time on my watch and decided it was time to go. Jinyoung must still be in the Council’s office seeing his books where he left them.

I reached across the table to wake JB up. He must be a heavy sleeper or maybe just too tired. He woke up on the third time I tapped his arm and called his name.

He lifted his head and our eyes met. His were confused from waking up while mine probably were surprised from the realization that he was actually kind of handsome.

Well, I mean, I knew he was good looking – his fans would prove that – but looking at him up close, well…

“Hey. I asked you did Jinyoung already return.”

Okay, I’d take it back. He was annoying. Period.

“How would I know? I just woke up.” I retorted.

I got up and put my things back in my bag. JB picked the books up and helped me return them to the shelves. It was unusual of him. I never thought he had that side in him.

He even walked me to the bus stop and waited with me. We didn’t talk much. We weren’t really that close. But I did remember what he said that night.

“You’re intelligent and articulated, just lacking self-confidence. You also seemed demotivated most of the times. I hope you learn to reach out. We’re just here, you know. Jinyoung and I. You can always ask us for help.”

Who knew that popular, but snob guy from the Film Department was actually worried about a struggling freshman law student like me?