Carry Me To Bed

Carry Me To Bed
Please log in to read the full chapter

Picking up my blazer from the floor, I took a deep breath and fixed my hair while I took a look around the hotel room. The messy sheets were an indicator of what had happened just now; as was the other woman in the big suite getting dressed. Even though this certainly wasn't the first time I'd done this, the guilt was still a factor.

"I'm getting sick of this, Chaeng," I heard the other woman speak as I put on my shoes. "When are you gonna tell her?"

"Soon," I answered quietly.

"You've been saying that or the past six months," Lisa replied with growing anger in her voice.

"It's not that easy but I'll do it. You need to give me some time," I sighed deeply.

"I'm not going to be your ing mistress any longer," my business partner said. "Either you tell her this week or we are done."

"Come on," I tried to soothe her and walked towards her.

"No, I'm serious this time," she responded with determination and dodged my attempt to put my arms around her waist. "I've been patient but this is not what I want. The sneaking around was a little thrilling at first, I admit but this has gone on way too long.

The younger woman walked past me and made her way to the door.

"You have to tell Jennie," she added before leaving the room.

--

"Good evening, Mrs. Park.

Just like every evening. I was greeted by our housekeeper who took my coat and smiled politely. The routine of it all was more tiring than the strenuous hours of work before. I had built a life for myself that seemed perfect on the outside. If only the glorious facade would match my state of mind.

"Thank you," I mumbled in an exhausted voice. "Where is everyone?" 

"They have gone to bed. I can warm-up dinner if you like?"

"No, thank you. I'm fine. You can call it a night as well," I saw her nodding and headed upstairs.

At first, I contemplated going to see Ella but she was probably asleep and I didn't want to wake her. So I went straight to the master bedroom. Opening the door, I saw Jennie in bed with a book in her hands. The glasses perched on her nose, her hair in a neat ponytail and almost all of her body covered by the blankets; it was the same image as always. My wife of eleven years noticed me entering and tore her eyes off her reading material.

"Hi," she greeted with a gentle smile.

"Hey," I whispered for some reason.

My stomach was in knots. The memory of my conversation with Lisa earlier had my pulse racing. I knew that I had to do it at some point. There was never going to be a good time. I stood in the middle of the room and simply looked at the brunette woman. There was a part of that loved her and didn't want to hurt the woman who had been by my side through it all. But the different part of me sai that we weren't happy anymore. I knew I wasn't.

"Rosie, what's wrong?" Jennie asked worriedly and put her book down.

"We need to talk," my voice was already shaking.

"Okay," she breathed calmly.

I inhaled very deeply and told myself to it up. Slowly approaching the bed, I sat down at the edge and nervously fumbled the sheets. Once I had talked to Jennie, there was no going back. That knowledge had been keeping me from having this conversation. But it wasn't fair to her.

"I don't know how to say it," I whispered.

"Yes... you do," the other woman replied and I looked up to meet her gaze. Something in the way she said it, let me know that she may already know where this was going.

"I feel like we've been drifting apart," I heard my voice trembling again. "You know that... I care for you so much and a part of me will always love you. But... lately, I think we're both not happy with this. We've become so distant. I barely see you, and I know that's partly my fault for working so much, but I feel like we've grown so far apart that we might be happier... If we..." I trailed off.

"If we separated," Jennie finished my sentence as I struggled to find the right words.

Our eyes met again and I felt tears burning within mine. Although I was sure we weren't happy as we once were, my heart sank at the idea of actually closing this chapter of my life. The darker eyes were glassy as well but she put on a brave face.

"Yes," I nearly choked at the most simple word.

Jennie chewed on her bottom lip and sighed quietly. I knew she was upset but she reacted in a way that I hadn't expected. She only nodded.

"I agree," she suddenly said and my eyebrow lifted in surprise. "I want you to be happy, Chaeng. And I know you haven't been in a long time.

"I don't want to hurt you," I blurted out and she wore a sad smile on her lips now.

"I know," she murmured barely audible. "I'm not mad at you if that's what you're afraid of. There are always two people to fault if things don't work out."

Well fell silent for a while until the uncomfortable moment was too much to handle for me.

"Do you want me to sleep in the guest room tonight?" I asked carefully.

"No, don't be ridiculous," Jennie flashed a gummy smile that reminded of her as a teenager. My heart cramped up at the thought of us back then. We were so carefree, so happy... so in love. "Let's talk about details tomorrow, okay? I'm tired." 

"Alright," I agreed and took the other side of the bed.

Lying down, I stared at the ceiling for what seemed like ages. I didn't dare look to my side and therefore my wife because I knew I would most likely break down in tears. As relieved as I felt, a part of my heart had broken irrevocably.

--

The next evening, I found Jennie sitting at the dining table downstairs. Instead of eating dinner, she was writing something. There were a bunch of papers spread out on the wooden surface.

"What are you doing?" I asked curiously and took a seat next to her.

"I wrote some things down," the older woman explained. "Here," she handed me a few pages and I gulped.

"Are those divorce papers?" I was a little shocked.

"Not really but I thought it would be best if we handled some things," Jennie answered calmly.

"You want me to keep the company? That's not going to happen. We built it together and you will get your share of everything... shared custody for Ella...you even want me to have the house in Australia? You love that beach house." I kept rambling as I read the papers in an increasing amount of shock.

"I only want one thing." her voice carried an ounce of instability now.

"What?" I asked immediately, still struggling to get my head wrapped around everything.

"I want you to carry me to bed for 30 days." 

I felt every color draining from my face as I heard her words. Meeting the dark cat-like eyes, I wasn't sure what I saw in them except for some anxiousness. My heart was beating faster than it had in ages as I dropped the paper in my hands.

"You're not... serious?" I questioned cautiously.

"I am," she answered immediately. "I want you to pick me up from the couch and carry me upstairs to bed just like you did when we first got married. Don't worry, I'm not asking for what we did in bed afterward," Jennie laughed in a flustered manner. "But that's the only condition I have. Then you're free to go."

I was at loss for words. She was completely serious by the look in her eyes. It took me several seconds to even comprehend what she was asking for. To say it was surprising would be the understatement of the century. I wasn't going to leave her with nothing but of course I remembered what she was talking about.

For months, maybe even an entire year, I had carried my newlywed wife to bed. It had become a ritual for both of us and I cherished the memory dearly. It was before Ella had been born and obviously changed our patterns. After a while, we had forgotten about it and now seemed to be the least likely time to return to our old ways. But apparently, Jennie had different plans.

"Do I start tonight then?" I asked with a little smirk and looked to meet her gaze.

"Sure," she laughed softly and made my heart skip a bit at the sound. "I'm tired anyway."

"Let's go then," I tried to hide my nerves by shrugging nonchalantly.

I got up and was about to bend down when the other woman stood up.

"I'll make it easy for your first day," she said about me not having to pick her up from the chair.

"You're too kind," I teased with a girn but felt nervous the second she put her arm around my neck. I gulped slowly and felt my cheeks filling with blood. In one swift move, I swooped her legs off the ground so I was holding them with one arm, the other supporting her upper body. She squealed in surp

Please log in to read the full chapter