Happy Ending

Winter Air: Happy Ending

You awaken to warm sunlight beating down upon your swaddled form. The grey comforter does plenty to keep you warm even in the dead of winter, so on this summer morning you find the need to push the blankets off of you and to the end of the bed. Of course they fall to the floor with a soft "fwump-" gravity doing its job. You want to stretch vigorously but a weight on your right upper arm prevents you from doing little more than sprawling your legs. A smile stretches across your face without you looking to see what that weight could be. There's only one explanation: Kim Jimin. You just can't help rolling carefully so that you're flush against the form of your sleeping husband. Your eyes, being shut until this moment, flutter open to admire the cinnamon roll that's slumbering away a good part of the morning in your arms. 

His hair is still a hypnotic shade of gunmetal, and even bare-faced, his complexion is as fair as it was the very day you met him. Very briefly your brows crease and your embrace around his form tightens. You hate to think of that dark and fateful day. After a moment, however, you resume your smiling watch over your lover. That day, regardless of how dismal, was the beginning of something wonderful. If it hadn't been for those desperate hours, you never would have met the light of your life. 

You press a gentle kiss to Jimin's crown and breathe in his scent. Though you've lived together for years now, he still manages to maintain his own individual scent- vanilla and something peppery... bergamot, maybe? You certainly don't have the knack for identifying flavors and scents like he does, but that's fine; that's why he's the cook in the house. In your admiration of Jimin's serene form, you see his left hand wrapped limply around the edge of the thick comforter. His sterling silver wedding band with embedded gems sparkles faintly in the gaze of the sun. You can't help but to recall the joy on your wedding day. 

/ "Park Jimin, will you take Kim Namjoon as your lawfully-wedded husband?" Jimin had insisted for so long on having a traditional Christian wedding and because you love him so fervently, you don't have the heart to turn him down, even if you a r e Athiest. In your eyes, religion has nothing to do with how one expresses love, anyway. So you stammer through your vows in a haze of excitement; thrill; disbelief. When it comes time to kiss your spouse- ugh... the word 'spouse.' You can't resist but to sweep him into a dramatic dip and kiss him deeply. 

You both choose a song to dance to and you have to admit that after hearing Jimin's choice, yours feels underwhelming. Still, it draws tears to both of your eyes while you stand chest-to-chest and sway. The way his curves house your large hands perfectly will never get old, you think; the way his lips form a smirk even in his laziest moments will always be a start of some sort of trouble; the way his eyes seem to soak in your entire existence like they're going to lose their function at any moment and he's got to take you all in... it's all so endearing; so bewildering. You can't imagine how you got so lucky. 

"Thank you..." You hear that delicate voice whisper into your collar and you hum, gesturing for him to expound. You don't want to disturb the aura of his presence, so you listen in silent anticipation. "Thank you for bringing me home. Thank you for loving me." You're only vaguely aware of the music that you're both swaying to, for Jimin's voice is far more appealing to hear. You press a kiss to his satiny hair and mutter something low that only he can hear. 

"Thank you for being there. Thank you for existing when I needed you most." This makes more sense to you than it does to Jimin, but he still appreciates the sentiment. He couldn't possibly have known that you were considering drugs, booze, crime... and that it all ended with the sight of the helpless angel on the stage. Just as soon as you part, you wish to be holding him again... so you do./

A sniffle escapes you as a trail of tears drips down your temple and sneaks its way into your ear. You paw at the moisture and in this motion, Jimin stirs. His eyes slowly crack open into those sleepy slits that you've come to adore, and though you're sure his eyeslashes are curtaining his entire view of the world, he notices the red splotches on your face and the glistening of tears on your face. He instantly becomes alert and lets his hand raise to your hair. His brows are slightly knitted as he nestles closer against your stronger figure. 

"What is it, Joonie? Are you okay?" His morning voice, though still a soft tenor, is hoarse and attractive, and you find that it's gotten you both into mischief more than once. You don't want him to worry about you being a little over-emotional, so you smile and issue a peck to his nose. He smiles and lets his hand lower to his chest once more where it crumples like a weary cat's paw. You find everything about him so endearing... and you're hard-pressed not to start sniffling again. His eyes are still aimed upward to gaze at you and you find this to make him appear innocent, though you know just as well as he does that he's far from innocent. This causes you to bury your tearful eyes in his messy hair. 

/ A scream yanks you from your slumber, and without even taking a glimpse at the bedside alarm clock, you know that it's hardly even past three. Your feet scrabble for purchase on the hardwood floor as you practically fly out your bedroom door and down the short stretch of hallway to Jimin's own room. You'd hoped he'd be comfortable in the guest room, but for the past three nights after bringing him into your home, he'd awakened with blood-curdling screams in the dead of night. Every time, you'd hurry to his side and comfort him, hoping that your presence would do some good. It did help, but very little. 

In these moments, you found that he was extremely out of it, hardly reachable. All he seemed to know was that he was on the floor. After you would cradle him and rock him gently, cooing repeadtedly that he was safe, he'd finally scramble onto his bed and cower there, whispering incoherent words to the darkness. You waited for at least half an hour each night to ensure that he was calm and comfortable before leaving the room, though you suspected that he would come out of his flashbacks and feel scared and lonely. When you reached his door and swung it open, you found him crouched in the same corner, shirt hem clutched in trembling hands. 

"Jimin! It's me, Namjoon. You're okay, I promise. Come here-" You speak softly while lowering yourself to both knees, sitting patiently a couple of feet from his shivering form. His eyes stare right through you and his whimpering pleas are actually intelligible this time. 

"No, p-please! I'll do what you want, just don't hurt me again. I-I want to go home. Please..." You can't help but to stifle your own sobs at this display of terror. You move to embrace him, struggling with him only momentarily as he fights the touch. Once he's settled in your lap, head resting on your shoulder, he calms and lets his cries dim to whines. He reacts faster tonight than he has in the past few nights. It seems that he's more alert this time. All you can do is slowly rock him and whisper gently all the while. 

"You're safe, Jimin. You're home. This is home... I'm Namjoon, you're Jimin, and you're safe. It's okay, child..." You watch his clammy hand tremble as it raises to your face. You allow it to rest there and you even nuzzle into it, hoping that this added contact will help ease his fears. His thin fingers are shaking like leaves on branches enduring a storm. You rest your own hand over his, hoping to warm it, if only a little. He mutters something too softly for you to hear, but he repeats himself in a tone that is demanding and clear enough for you to tell that he expects an answer. 

"Will you protect me, Namjoon?" You hold him tighter, allowing his lithe frame to be maneuvered easily. 

"Yes, I will. You don't have to worry, Jimin. I'm here for you. Nobody will ever hurt you again." He begins to whimper and you feel tears soaking through your shirt. 

"Nobody? Ever?" You reply by standing carefully, slowly, so as not to topple forward. You then carry him to his bed, where you gently lay him down. Then you join him, your own form curling around his. 

"Nobody. Ever." He still shivers, so you pull the rumpled blankets up to cover both of you. After several minutes of his silent, shoulder-shaking sobs, he begins to quiet. You can tell that he's falling back into sleep, for his breaths are becoming more even. You find yourself drifting as well, but you're startled awake by him muttering softly. 

"I trust you... trust... Nam... joon..." And as you fall asleep with a protective arm over his side, a sad smile stretches across your lips. /

Jimin doesn't miss the way your breathing grows more labored. He knows you well enough to know that you're crying. He pulls back and frowns while resting a hand on your jaw, just as he did that night. You again nuzzle into his touch and sigh letting the dammed up tears roll down your temple. 

"What's wrong, baby?" You offer a weary smile and roll just a little more so that you're at eye-level. 

"I was just... remembering." Jimin smiles and props his chin up in his palm while lifting himself with an elbow. His look urges you to expound. "That night when we first slept in the same bed; our wedding day..." His eyes lower momentarily, probably recalling those times, himself, before he gently bunts your forehead with his own. 

"Good times... why were you thinking of them?" His fingers drift up to play with your hair again and you give a breathy chuff of pathetic laughter. 

"I was admiring you and it just happened..." He blushes gently and rolls away to sit with legs dangling over the edge of the bed. 

"Hush, you." You simply love how he gets all embarrassed and sassy... and this helps to draw you out of self-induced sadness. "Now why don't you get the shower started? We've got big plans today..." Your heart soars and flutters like that mystical golden snitch... and you remember why. You both have plans to meet your surrogate mother together... and you can hardly make it to the shower fast enough. Once you both strip and crowd under the wide stream of warm water, Jimin wraps those thin, muscled arms around your neck and presses a passionate kiss to your lips. 

"I owe you more than you can ever know, Jimin. I in' love you." He smirks and gives you yet another kiss before issuing a playful nip to your bottom lip. 

"Wanna prove it?" You're in no position to refuse him, nor do you want to. 

'This will be just another beautiful day with my insatiable husband. Just one more day in the course of many to come.'