Final

April and Godbye

“Gosh, can’t you hurry up a little? We’re getting late,”

Sehun hisses at the girl beside him who casually tying her shoes as if they’re not late, “Well you can go to the car first , no one’s stopping you.” the girl hisses back at him while still trying her shoes. “That’s your car, I’m not driving your car.” he says while pointing at her red Audi E-Tron and she rolls her eyes before stomping her right feet to make sure that her shoes are tightly tied.

“Let’s go baby boy,” she stands up and leave him who can’t help but just sighs at her act. “Can’t you hurry up a little bit?” Sehun hisses and the girl on the driver seat throws a glare, “Is it my ing fault that you left your car in your friend’s home? Don’t be such a pain in the ,” she says as she starts the car and drives to school. “Alright, alright Kim Ahyoung, you won.” Sehun mutters and the girl smirks in victory.

“What did you do yesterday anyway, I knew you came home late.” Ahyoung mutters as she tries to find the fastest lane to get them to school. “It was Soomi’s birthday—“ Ahyoung scoffs, “Oh her,” she says and Sehun squints his eyes at her. “Yes, her. She’s my girlfriend, me and the boys threw her a party.” Sehun explained and the girl raises her hand to stop him from telling any more details.

“But I’m your wife,” she says in matter of fact tone, “On the paper,” he adds. “Whatever,” she says and soon they reach the school. “You don’t need a ride home right?” she asks as they get off the car. Sehun shakes his head and they separate from the parking lot.

Kim Ahyoung and Oh Sehun are married to each other for a year now, their marriage is your typical arranged marriage. Ahyouung is the only child of the President and owner of Majesty Holdings, the chaebol group created almost five generations ago. Meanwhile Oh Sehun is the youngest of two from the owner of Haemyung Group, another chaebol group. Both their fathers are friends and decided that arranging a marriage between their children would be a great opportunity to create an unbreakable partnership between the two companies.

But Sehun already has a girlfriend and Ahyoung didn’t make a fuss about it at start. They live under one roof with two separate lives. Ahyoung is the queen of the school. She throws glares at others and doesn’t even bother to stomp on others’ pride. Their high school is the social nest for generations of chaebols, law enforcements, and politicians’ children. Ahyoung parents’ are one of the main contributors to the school, people worship her for some reason. She has this aura around her that makes people swoon over. No one really dare to speak while looking right through her eyes, she is scary. She opens her locker to be greeted by chocolates and flowers placed in front of her locker.

“Yo Ahyoung!”

Someone taps on her shoulder as she’s taking some books from her locker, “It’s early in the morning, Ong Seongwoo. I could kill you,” Ahyoung throws a glare at the boy who just laugh. After all, she never really mean anything that she says to him. He knows her since they were in elementary school. Although they didn’t stick close all the time, Seongwoo knows her better than anyone. “Wow, can I have these?” Seongwoo points at the Ferrero Rocher placed for her, she simply shrugs and he happily takes it. Ahyoung takes the flowers and closes her locker.

“We have our classes together today, you have plenty of time to kill me.” Ahyoung rolls her eyes at his statement as they are walking down the hallway to their first class. Several students looking at Ahyouung either admiring or simply gawking. She has fans, it’s something that she love and hate at the same time. “Stop bugging me, you have a girlfriend to attend to.” Ahyoung points at a girl with blue coat near the classroom’s door. “Just want to say that you have to come to my party this weekend.” Seongwoo says, “Oh yeah, your birthday party. Which also fall on the same day as my dinner with the parents.” Seongwoo whistles lowly.

“Marriage , huh?” Ahyoung shakes her head, “Don’t even mention that.” she says. “You can come and leave as you wish, just be there. Okay?” Seongwoo smiles while waiting for her respond and the girl just nods. “Great!” he smiles and then bid her goodbye to approach his girlfriend.

Ahyoung enters the classroom then put the flowers she got to the vase in front of the class before taking the farthest seat, she takes a seat and then look at a crowd of four in the middle chairs. Soomi’s there with Sehun also two other boys of his friends, Baekhyun and Chanyeol. The thing about Soomi is, she’s smart and quite pretty if Ahyoung must admit and Sehun actually likes her. Although Ahyoung maintains her rank steady in the top three all these years, she can’t help but feel jealous whenever she sees Soomi. That nerdy girl got everything that she couldn’t have. Not enjoying what she sees, Ahyoung settles herself and take a nap.

 

 

It is lunch time, everybody go to the cafeteria to get their foods. The cafeteria is crowded, students eat and chat at the same time. But suddenly their attention when there’s a sound of food tray being thrown to the floor.

“I-I-I’m sorry…..”

Ahyoung looks at the girl who’s on the floor, she doesn’t say anything. “I didn’t see that you’re—“ the girl stutters, “You didn’t see me? You have FOUR ING EYES AND YOU DIDN’T SEE ME?” Ahyoung asks her as she raises her voice.

Sehun looks at Ahyoung from afar, no one really surprised with her actions but still they look at her lashing out her anger at the girl on the floor who’s still trying to find excuse.

“Next time you walk, use your ing eyes. Those are there to see not to cry for help,” Ahyoung left the cafeteria. Then people begin to talk again and act as if nothing ever happens.

“Jeez, someone should stop that girl.” Jongin says as he gets back to his seat, “Can’t you stop her? She’s your wife,” Baekhyun asks him who just shakes his head. “Maybe you can talk to her,” Soomi suggest but Sehun just laughs. “The last time I ever talk to her seriously was when she threw a cup of tea right to my direction, no thank you.” he shakes his head in denial.

“Oh, I brought your car. Almost forgot that I’m holding this,” Suho gives the car keys to the owner, “Thanks hyung, really need it. Going to the school with her royal highness isn’t something pleasant.” Sehun says and they all laughing together.

 

 

Ahyoung goes to her locker to change her shoes, she pulls out a pair of black Gucci boot with red laces on it. Her shoes are totally ruined by the spilled kimchi stew spilled by the girl in the cafeteria earlier. She puts the stained shoes in a zip bag and makes sure that she’ll laundry the shoes. As she’s tying her laces, she notices that someone calls her name.

“Ahyoung,” she looks up and sees the principal with her parents, her parents look at her with their stern face. “Mr. Choi,” she stands up and the principal smiles at her. “Your daughter has maintained her rank throughout the years, you must be proud to have a daughter like her. She’s the only student that the teachers think would be worthy becoming the valedictorian.” Mr. Choi says and her parents just smiles at the remarks, “Well, shall we talk about the funding?” her father asks the principal who nods and quickly let him to his room. Meanwhile Mrs. Kim, her mother, stays behind for a moment.

“What are you doing here?” the lady with navy dress and black Birkin bag asks Ahyoung, “I was just changing my shoes, someone spilled it with kimchi stew.” Ahyoung answers her mother. “And where’s Sehun?” her mother asks again, Ahyoung’s pupils are shaking and she can’t bring herself to answer the question. The older female looks around and she realizes that there are almost no one in the hallway, she turns to her daughter. “You have one job which is to maintain this marriage, don’t be such a useless child.” Ahyoung can feel her upper left arm being pinched by her mother, “Remember that,” after that Mrs. Kim leaves her and Ahyoung takes a deep breath to calm herself down. She winces at the pain, it will surely leave a blue mark.

It’s been a month since she last seen her parents. She almost forgot how suffocating it was to be near them. She walks to the toilet to wash her face and clear her mind. Then someone bumps into her, “Ah, sorry.” Ahyoung looks up and sees Jongdae. Thoughts run though her mind, what if he saw her and her mother. “Hi,” Jongdae greets her and she just leaves, avoiding prolonging any contact with him.

Ahyoung is the only child in her family, she has no one to turn to or talk to. She endures all the pain from the abuses alone. When she thought she could finally get out of her suffocating life, her parents somehow always comeback in some way to remind her that she owes them. She could never get away from them. As she looks at herself in the mirror, she sees a girl with broken pride. Something that she’s not proud of, ever.

She splashes some water towards her face just to refreshes herself, trying to bring down the tension in her expression. When several students come in, they stop chatting when they look at Ahyoung and then quietly go to the stalls. She looks at them as she wipes down the water on her face before throwing the tissues to the bin. Ahyoung straightened her back and looks at herself on the mirror one last time before leaving the bathroom. She just wish that she won’t get to see her parents again for today.

 

 

Soomi and Sehun are walking together leaving the building, all the lessons’ are finished for the day. They are talking and then joined by the other boys, “What are we going to do today?” Chanyeol asks as he puts his arms around Baekhyun’s shoulders.

“Soomi has a dinner with her family tonight so we can’t go have a dinner at Kyungsoo house,” Sehun says and the boys groaned, “Aw, come on guys. Besides, it’s the first time my sister get to go home from London.” Soomi explains. Sehun just chuckles at his friends, Soomi always accompanied by the guys. Maybe the facts that they’ve known one another since junior high and how enjoyable being around her are the reasons why they always together. Ever since they start go to high school, people would pester her because she’s known as Sehun’s girlfriend who also happens to be massively popular alongside the other boys.

So having fans around them is highly possible. The boys want to keep Soomi save from them and the girl actually brings cookies that she made herself for the boys every day. She’s a real sweetheart, that’s why they love her. Unlike certain person which is approaching them.

“Jeez, why are you everywhere?” Sehun groaned when Ahyoung stands right before them, “Well we actually live under the same roof so, knock it off.” she says and then turns her attention to the girl with short bob haircut. Ahyoung doesn’t want to acknowledge it but Soomi looks cute, cute. An adjective that she never fond of, cute is just a way someone telling another person they’re adorable, someone who won’t be seen as a threat. A weak person and she learns that those who are weak don’t deserve to accomplish anything because they don’t try as hard as those who are strong, those who struggle to stand with their own feet. Those who don’t have everything laid out for them.

“I don’t get it, I would never.” Ahyoung looks at Soomi, the girl beside Sehun looks down. Ahyoung intimidating stares never fail to bring someone’s confidence down.

“Just get over it will you? Stop budging Soomi,” Jongin says and Ahyung looks at the boy, “Just gonna drop by to say that the dinner has been pushed forward for tonight instead of tomorrow. Maybe you haven’t heard,” Ahyoung says.

“Or maybe I just don’t care,” Sehun mutters but clear enough to be heard, “Oh, you’ll care. You know what I’m capable of, don’t even try. Know your limit,” Ahyoung smirks.

“Because maybe it won’t be you, hurting someone else don’t have to be hurting you.” Ahyoung glances at Soomi and Sehun could almost slap her if Soomi doesn’t hold his arm.

“Stop it, you’ve tormented me the past year, isn’t it enough?! I don’t need a nuisance like you in my life,” Sehun raises his voice almost makes Soomi flinches. For some short moment, he feels guilty for lashing out in public like that. He just can’t take it anymore, he doesn’t need a headache from someone like Ahyoung every day.

Ahyoung stares at him, challenges him to actually hit her. But she knows he could never do that especially in public. She looks at Sehun straight in his eyes, waiting for a reaction or any other action. She knows she might crossed the line this time but she’s not wrong. She’s not taking anything, she just claiming what hers. She laid out the facts, she’s not the only one at fault here. Sehun looks at her, trying to relax himself as Soomi holds his arm.

“See you at the dinner,”

Ahyoung says before leaving them, the other boys look at her as she leaves. “That girl should see some doctor, she has the mind of medusa or something.” Suho says, “Maybe she has her own reasons.” Jongdae mutters.

Sehun looks at Ahyoung who’s getting farther, he can’t believe that she’s still persistent keeping their marriage. He knows none of them likes the idea of this arranged marriage, but somehow she’s persistent to keep it. But he’ll never see the way Ahyoung make her eyes larger to prevent any changes in her expression, the way she straightened her back to not let anyone see that she’s actually not strong enough. No one will ever see that because she won’t let anyone to see that.

 

 

Ahyoung puts her bag on the couch in her room and then lays herself on the bed, she is tired. This constant ego battle between her and Sehun never ends. It happens every day, mostly at school because that’s where Soomi is right beside him. That’s where she sees that everyone got the life they wanted except her. Yes, she may have everything. She maybe the smartest student or the richest student but she surely never feel anything. At least for some people, their parents really set things for them, they care. Her parents don’t even care her birthday or her graduation, they just want a child who is perfect and excel in everything without a flaw. A child who will not bring them sorrow, who’ll make things easier for them. Ahyoung was raised to check all those box, without love and affection. Things that she actually needs.

She closes her eyes before starting to takes off her uniform and take a shower, the monthly dinner between her, Sehun, and their families has been pushed forward because his parents are taking a trip to France for a business. The monthly dinner was something that Ahyoung hates, she has to meet her parents and in-laws while smiling and acts as if nothing wrong between her and Sehun. Her in-laws are nice people, she actually really likes them. Sehun’s mother is really affectionate towards her, very different with her own mother. At the end of the dinner, her parents would always talk with her by just the three of them. Making sure she knows that her duty as a filial daughter is to keep the marriage intact.

Filial.

She doesn’t even know whether she’s really their daughter or not. Every accomplishments she has were never really appreciated but once she doesn’t have one, they demand her to have one. They would beat her out of it. She has always to be the perfect one, always.

A knock is heard as she put her earrings, she knows its Sehun. “Wait,” she says before she stands up from her dressing table and then takes her clutch.

She opens the door to be greeted by Sehun in his casual gray tuxedo, she looks at him before getting out of her bedroom and then walks down the stairs. Sehun sighs as he closes her bedroom’s door and then follow her downstairs. They’re taking his car so she waits until he pulls out his car from the garage. She’s wearing a knee length cream dress with navy bow in the middle of it and a black heels. She hates heels but her mother would never approve her wearing a crocs or sneakers to the dinner, she would say that it’s not appropriate.

“I’m sorry for earlier….”

Sehun opens a conversation during the ride that has been silent for almost ten minutes, “You should be,” she answers without looking at him. “Look, this is suffocating us. Don’t deny it,” Sehun looks at her as they stop in the traffic light, “Maybe for you, but I don’t.” Ahyoung answers. Sehun rolls his eyes, “What do you mean?” he furrows his brows at her.

“Because I don’t carry a baggage having a girlfriend like you, I’m enjoying all of this.” Ahyoung rolls her eyes back and Sehun scoffs at her, “Soomi is not a baggage, you are. Why do you enjoy all of these anyway?” he asks as he drives the car again after the lights turn to green. “Because you’ll care for me, admit it.” she teases and he just shakes his head, can’t believe how stubborn and self-centered she is. “I will never, that will never cross my mind. Ever,” he says and soon he pulls into a restaurant around Apgujeong.

“Let’s see that,” Ahyoung says before they get off the car. Sehun looks at her in disbelief, he texts Soomi before getting off the car and then enters the restaurant together with her.

“Good evening, please follow me,”

The waiter them to a private room inside the restaurant, as expected their parents already arrived. Mrs. Oh face lightens up as she sees the two of them.

“My children, how are you two?”

She stands up to greet them, Ahyoung smiles. “We’re fine mom, I met you last week. Don’t act as if we live in different city,” he says but his mother slap his arm lightly. “Yes, but I haven’t seen Ahyoung quite some time. Right, dear?” Mrs. Oh turns to her daughter in law who just smiles. “How are you?” Mrs. Kim stands up to greet them too. Ahyoung can feel her spine getting cold, her mother’s warm smile is deceiving. She knows how she really is, seeing how both of her parents could act like a normal parents.

“Let’s start eating before the appetizer gets cold,” Mr. Oh says and all of them take a seat to start the dinner.

 

 

“Good Lord, you’re here!”

Ahyoung rolls her eyes at Seongwoo reaction, she shows up to his birthday party. He gladly let her inside, there are a lot of people already as it has started almost an hour earlier. “I thought you’re having a dinner but then he came with Soomi so what happened?” Seongwoo points at Sehun and Soomi alongside the others, “It was pushed forward to yesterday, his parents need to go to France for something.” Ahyoung shrugs her shoulder.

“Anyway,” Ahyoung pulls out a black small box from her pocket, “You know I hardly buy something for a gift, you should be thankful.” Seongwoo rolls his eyes as he takes it from her hand.

“Of course, your highness. It’s my pleasure to receive your present,” he jokingly says and Ahyoung just laughs at him, “Where’s your girlfriend? Isn’t she supposed to be right by your side sticking like a glue or something?” she asks Seongwoo who just laughs at her question.

‘Well, there she is.” Seongwoo points at a bunch of girls sitting on the couch, “It’s called socializing, something that I do know you don’t really fond of.” Ahyoung throws him a glare and he just laughs. “Are you staying? I have a fondue fountain right over there,” Seongwoo points at a tall chocolate fondue fountain in the center of his living room.

“I was planning to give this and go but I’ll stay for the fondue,” she says and Seongwoo laughs, “See you around,” he says as he leave to see the other guests.

Ahyoung looks at Sehun who’s laughing with his friends and Soomi.

Her again.

Ahyoung takes a strawberry from one of the plates near the fondue fountain and take a bite of it. She leans on the wall while enjoying her own food. Whenever she hears Soomi’s laugh, her stomach turns. That girl always remind her how she has nothing compares to her. Soomi seems have everything, even her parents would pick her up from school sometimes. Ahyoung feels this rage, jealousy, and anger inside her. She hates it.

Suddenly she felt her stomach turns, it’s been going on for years now. She has a frequent migraine now, it drives her crazy. She looks around and goes to the powder room right at the end of the house, there were less people there. She goes in and decides to fish out a small bottle of aspirin from her clutch and gulps two pills. She stares at her own reflection, she looks miserable. Everyone around her seems okay, she looks okay from the outside. But she’s actually not and no one cares.

What a life.

Ahyoung leaves the powder room, someone is waiting for the powder room. “Ah,” Sehun stands in front of her. Ahyoung looks at him without expression, “Took you long enough,” he says and she scoffs. “Take your time, I’ll be having fun with your girl.” Ahyoung says as she leaves. “Don’t mess with her, I’m warning you.” Sehun warns her but she just leaves.

Ahyoung comes back to the party crowd and turns to where Seongwoo serves the drinks. “You must be enjoying the companies,” Ahyoung says to Soomi who’s right beside her, Soomi looks at her left and tries to stay calm. She could never stay calm with Ahyoung’s presence, the taller girl resent her and she is afraid of her. Well, who doesn’t?

“I don’t understand what they look from you, I’ll never get it.” Ahyoung adds, “Maybe…. You should look at other guy,” Soomi says and Ahyoung throws her a glare. “Look at Taehyung or Jungkook, they’re also the star of the field. May—“ Ahyoung turns to her with a glare, “Maybe what? Maybe I should stop budging you and Sehun? You do realize this marriage isn’t just about my so-called obsession on Sehun. You think this marriage that low?” Soomi looks down.

“Marriage means M&A, my marriage is a billion dollar marriage. You think this is just a mere childish pursuit of your boy?” Ahyoung raises her voice, “Next time you talk to me, make sure you use your brain.” Ahyoung pushes Soomi away. The short girl moves and Ahyoung leaves her.

“What did you say to her?” Bekhyun holds Ahyoung who just scoffs, “Tell her something that actually real? Is it my ing fault that she’s so weak even to talk to me?” Ahyoung asks and Baekhyun almost lost his anger. “You should change her diaper, I think she just peed herself.” Ahyoung smirks as she leaves. “,” Baekhyun curses and goes to Soomi whose eyes already teary.

 

 

Ahyoung can feel her head is spinning as if she’s going to have second head. If only she could skip school but she can’t. Mr. Wang’s running test doesn’t have any make up exams and she doesn’t really want a zero on her report card.

“,” she almost falls back to her bed if she didn’t hold on to the bed’s frame. Yeah, maybe going to school isn’t a good idea but still, she has to.

She usually only takes twenty minutes to get ready and heads downstairs for a quick breakfast, but she’s struggling to keep herself standing straight so it takes almost half an hour to get ready before coming downstairs.

“Took you long enough,”

Sehun comments when Ahyoung just entered the dining room but unlike the usual, the girl doesn’t fires back or mocks him back. She just throw him a glare before going to the fridge and takes out a carton of milk. He frowns, not used to the silent he receives. He walks back to the kitchen area to approach her and put his hand on her forehead while she’s gulping down the milk, resting her back on the fridge’s doors.

“You’re burning,” he says and she looks at him, “No , Sherlock. My head’s been spinning since the moment I open up my eyes. Don’t need to point out the obvious,” Ahyoung sarcastically laugh while gulping down the last drops of milk and throw out the carton.

“Then you shouldn’t be going to school, genius.” Sehun says but Ahyoung shakes her head. “The running test will not run itself, Mr. Wang have the no-make-up-test reputation. I don’t need a zero in my report card so no thank you,” Ahyoung declines, she goes to take an apple on the dining table and takes her car keys before Sehun holds her arm.

“No, you’re not driving.” he says as he puts back the car keys in its place, “Look, you care about me.” Ahyoung teases but Sehun just brushes it off. He keeps holding her as he takes his bag and car keys, “I don’t want you to hurt someone else while driving with half closed eyes, come on.” he says as he drags her to his car.

He puts her on the passenger’s seat and drives them both to school, “Did you check your temperature?” he asks and she just hums in response. “How many classes we have together today?” he asks and Ahyoung with her fingers. “Three? Four maybe?” she asks back and Sehun just shakes his head, “Just tell me if you need anything, we’re going home together anyway.” Sehun says and Ahyoung looks at him.

They reach the school in twenty minutes, Ahyoung groans as she gets off the car. “I swear I could die today,” she mutters and Sehun chuckles. “Come on, we have the first class together.” he takes the bag from her hand and they walk together to the class, Ahyoung just following his steps to get through the hallway and to the class. Of course she hears the murmurs from the other students on them walking together without her trying to scream at him or he frustrated at her.

“Oh my gosh, are they finally get it together?”

“I would be jealous to be either her or him,”

“Is this real?”

“I bet he grew tired of Soomi already,”

Sehun shrugs it off, he takes care a lot of people when they’re sick. They share the same roof, there’s no way he doesn’t get it that she’s sick. They enter the class together and everyone look at them, even Soomi who is watching something from her phone looks up. Everyone’s gaze follow the two of them until Ahyoung reaches her seat at the back, “Try to not die today,” Sehun says and the girl just chuckles. He goes to his girlfriend after he put Ahyoung’s bag.

“What happened?” Soomi asks while carefully looking over at Ahyoung who would throw her a glare but this time she’s sleeping soundlessly on her seat.

“High fever, probably more than 38 but she insisted to come in because today is the track running test.” Sehun answers as he settle down his bag and sit right next to Soomi.

Not long after that, Seongwoo enters the class and goes to the back to greet Ahyoung like what he usually do, “, you’re actually burning.” He says after touching her forehead. “Go away,” she murmurs. “I don’t see a red E-Tron so you’re not driving to school?” he asks and Ahyoung murmurs an answer, Seongwoo shakes his head as he pulls out sandwich from his bag.

“Tell me if you need anything,” he says as he goes to his seat. Sehun looks at Seongwoo, he wonders what’s their relationship is. That boy of course has a girlfriend but he also close with Ahyoung and clearly never feel intimidated by her. Seongwoo knows Ahyoung better than anyone, everyone knows that. But Sehun just didn’t know how long and deep the relationship between the two of them. And now he wonders how much does Seongwoo knows about them.

, what he even think about it.

Sehun shakes his head and return to his conversation with Soomi.

 

 

“Next up, Kim Ahyoung, Kim Minyoung, Kim Songju, and Lee Ari.”

Mr. Wang calls out the next students who need to do the test, Ahyoung slumply walks to take her position. As the whistle blows, the four girls run and Ahyoung can feel that everything feels fuzzy. She can’t look at her surrounding clearly but she won’t stop running, just a couple more minutes and she’ll get to sleep at the infirmary.

Sehun looks at her from the basketball court, he just finished the test and it is the female’s turn. He sees how Ahyoung tries to keep her running steady, “Jeez,” he mutters. Jongdae who happens to be nearby look at the same direction where his best friend is looking.

“She’s sick?” he asks the husband, “Yeah, high fever. Probably more than 38 but she’s so stubborn.” Sehun shakes his head. “You’re taking care of her?” Jongdae asks again, “Don’t have any other choice, although we more like a housemate than a couple. She still live in the same house as I do,” Sehun answers. Jongdae looks at Sehun, he wants to ask something but then stops. “Let’s go, the boys are waiting for the ball.” He pats the taller male’s shoulder and they go back to play basketball.

A long whistle is heard just fifteen minutes later, signaling that the girls could stop running. Ahyoung stops in her track and walks back to take a sip of her water bottle, she can’t take it anymore.

“Mr. Wang, can I go to the infirmary? I’m not feeling well,” she asks the teacher and he nods, with that she walks to the main building. Ahyoung walks slowly, almost losing her consciousness along the way, She holds on to the wall, “,” she curses and everything goes black.

Sehun looks around, he can’t find Ahyoung. The girl sure had finished her test and now she’s missing, the last thing he wants to do is to search that sick girl around the huge school. He walks inside the building and looks around. “She must be walking to the infirmary,” he mutters and not long after he takes turn towards the infirmary direction, he found someone crouching down and realizes it’s Ahyoung.

“Hey, you’re okay?” he taps her shoulder but she’s not responding, he takes a look at her face and she’s closing her eyes. He chuckles and then decided to pick her up to the infirmary.

“Excuse me, doc.” he calls out and a doctor shows up, “Oh, what happened?” she asks and Sehun explain everything. After the doctor shows them the empty bed, she gives them a thermometer and excuse herself to take care the sick pass for Ahyoung.

Sehun looks at the sleeping figure, he never realize how small she actually looks. She always cover up so she always look tough. But when she’s sleeping, she’s just another girl. Maybe the fact that they never spend a night in the same room made him never see how peaceful her sleeping figure is.

The thermometer let out a sound, signing that it has finished measuring her temperature. “Oh God,” Sehun says as he read the 39.5°C on it. No wonder she really has no more strength to fight back anything.

“Is it finished?” the doctor comes back, Sehun nods and gives her the thermometer. “That’s a high fever, how could she went for the P.E. in that fever?” the doctor wonders, “This is the sick pass, you can comeback after school to get her.” she says and Sehun thanks her before bowing and leave the infirmary with the sick pass.

Ahyoung is sweating in her sleep, the infirmary’s doctor starts wiping her forehead and then realize something so she dials up a number. “Hey, are you free? She’s here, a high fever.” she says to the person on the other line.

 

 

“She’ll be fine?”

Another doctor puts his stethoscope in his bag after he stands up, “She should be, thank you for calling.” he says to the infirmary’s doctor. “You told me if she ever come, I should call you. I’m just doing what you asked,” the female shrugs, “I owe you, dinner?” he asks and she just laughs. “I’ll text you, but thank you really. I’ve been looking after her since she was ten or eleven,” the male doctor looks at Ahyoung. She realizes the affection he has towards the young female. “You know her that well, old patient?” she asks, “Doctor-patient confidentiality,” he says and she laughs. He then bid his goodbye to her and then leaves.

Ahyoung slept for almost another three hours, by then the classes are over. She opens her eyes and slightly frowned at the bright light.

“,”

She mutters as she tries to wake up, her body feels sore for no reason but she thinks it’s because of the running test. She doesn’t do enough warming up and she gets all the sore. She looks to her right where there’s a bedside table, she recognizes the writing on the notes in front of the sealed bag.

‘Get better soon’

Ahyoung chuckles and then the curtain is opened, the infirmary doctor approaches her. “Are you feeling better?” she asks her and she just nods. The female doctor takes a thermometer from her pocket and put it on Ahyoung.

“Dr.Kang was here isn’t he?” Ahyoung asks and the doctor stops looking at her watch, “I recognized the writings, they’re not yours.” Ahyoung nods at the medicine on the bedside table. The doctor smiles, “Yeah, he was here.” she answers as she pulls out the thermometer from her armpit.

“38,7°C , still a fever but at least it’s going down. Is he coming back to pick you up?” the doctor asks and AHyung frowned, "Who’s ‘he’?” she asks back. The doctor looks at her but then just smiles, “Someone brought you here. You passed out, I understand you won’t remember. I believe he’s ….. Sehun? Is it right?” the older female slightly frowns because she forgets the boy’s name.

Ahyoung looks away, he really does care about her. Something she’ll remember for later.

“So, you know Dr. Kang?” Ahyoung continues to question her, “Yeah, we went to the same medical school. He asks me a favor, I’m simply doing what he asks.” the doctor answers. “What favor?” the doctor simply smiles and then leaves.

Ahyoung takes the medicine from the table and then someone comes, “You’re up?” she looks up and sees Sehun with their bags.

“And you still care,” Ahyoung puts her legs down to put on her shoes, “Of course, I’m not going to let you die and rot at home.” he rolls his eyes but some kind of relief because the girl got some spirit back. In the morning she could barely speak. But then he sees that Ahyoung still stumbling to put on her shoes, guess the dizziness still not going away. He puts down their bags on a chair and get on his knees to put on her shoes, “The doctor said you still have a fever, 38,7°C. Not really a good numbers,” he says and she just sneers.

“Numbers huh?” she says but somehow he catch the disappointment in her voice, he didn’t know whether it’s the choice of words or his tone that upsets her.

Numbers.

Just like how her parents describe her and why they’re raising her. She’s an asset, not a child. She’s something that her parents need to appraise what the people think of them. That everything happened for her marriage are just numbers, their marriage is an M&A. It’s just a way for them to relay the duty to raise her, remove her from their sight yet never let her go. They let the armor around her wings go but not the chain that chained her legs. She’s released but not free.

“Let’s go,” Sehun says as he finishes lacing her shoes, she stands up and he holds her arms to lead her walking out of the school. There’s a few students in the hallways, some are looking at them but Ahyoung doesn’t really care about it. She already misses her bed and wants a peaceful sleep at home.

“Do you want to eat anything? We could get it on the way home, you know I don’t cook.” Sehun asks as he drives them back home, “You do know how to make an instant oatmeal right?” Ahyoung asks.

“Oatmeal?” he asks back, “If you don’t know, I’ll just make it myself.” Ahyoung mutters. “Nothing else? Usually it’s for breakfast but it’s almost dinner time so…” Sehun makes sure and she just shakes her head. He just keeps driving and let her sleep during the drive home.

Soon as they got home, Ahyoung walks herself to her bedroom. Sehun looks at her and just shakes his head, “What am I to her? Servant?” he scoffs but then still walks to the kitchen to make her the oatmeal she requests. He opens up the cabinet where Ahyoung usually put her oatmeal boxes, he then realizes that she rarely eats anything else at home except the oatmeal, fruits, milks, or ramen. She rarely eats rice at home if he didn’t order a takeout or his mother didn’t send any side dish. It’s either she’s in a strict diet to maintain her figure or she has something he doesn’t know.

“More like the first one,” Sehun furrows his brows as he starts making the oatmeal, he checks his phone while waiting for it to be ready. Several messages from his friends and also Soomi. He smiles as he texts them back, he somehow doesn’t feel as annoyed as he would be for leaving Soomi to Jongin’s care because he needs to take care of Ahyoung. It makes him feels bad, he should be annoyed.

Sehun realizes that the oatmeal is ready, he leaves it on the stove that he turns off while cutting the strawberries as how Ahyoung would makes her breakfast in the morning. He then stirs the oatmeal in the pot before moving it to a bowl, put some chocolate chips and strawberries on top of it. With a glass of hot tea, he walks to her bedroom right next to his bedroom upstairs. He knocks on the door and hears a grunt from her before opening the door. Ahyoung is already in her pajama and bundling up in her comforter. Sehun notices the sweats on her forehead, he quickly puts the food on her bedside table and look for thermometer.

“Are you chilly?” she just nods, showing a huge discomfort in her face. He put the thermometer on her armpit and goes to take a towel from the bathroom with a basin of cold water. The thermometer beeps and he takes a look at the numbers, “Your fever is going back up, does the doctor gave you a prescription?” Sehun asks again. “Yeah, a bag of medicine in my bag.” Ahyoung answers.

“I’m taking it,” he says as he goes to take the medicine from her bag on her desk, he found a bag of medicine prescripted to Ahyoung  with ‘For Ahyoung’ on top of the bag. He frowns because for anyone to write that must be really close to her, the infirmary doctor doesn’t seem that close with her. He shrugs off and then goes to put the medicine right on her bedside table.

Ahyoung tries to sit up as she removes the towel on her forehead, “39?” she asks and Sehun nods as he takes the bowl for her. “Look at you being a really good husband,” she comments and Sehun just chuckles, “I’m being a dutiful husband for his sick wife, so eat up and eat your medicine. Anything more than 40 won’t be good,” Sehun mutters as he takes a spoon of the oatmeal to feed her.

“Yes but a fever means that my body is fighting some bacteria or anything that’s wrong with me.” Ahyoung recalls and Sehun looks at her, “No wonder you stay on the top rank throughout these years,” he mutters. Ahyoung just smiles as she chews her food, “You’re sweating a lot,” he says when he feels the damped blankets around her body. “Well yeah, I don’t think I’m getting better too.” she says as he helps her to take a sip of her tea.

“I’ll call in you for sick tomorrow, I’ll just skip the class.” Sehun says and she looks at him, amused with what he said. “Why so shock?” he asks her, “Because you’re willing to skip the class voluntarily,” she raises her brows and he chuckles. “Well, in your condition I don’t think you’ll be able to do anything. Besides, you did the same when I broke my arm a couple months ago,” Sehun says and she just nods with a smile, Sehun may think that’s just because she’s content with him taking care of her in return of the debt he had towards her. But he doesn’t know that it’s deeper than that, she actually loves and care for him. And for him to care for her back is just something that makes her happy. Because back when she was a child, none of her parents actually taking care of her. She gets sick, the maids will provide the care. They don’t want anything to do with her but takes all the credit when she achieved something. Discredit it when she makes a mistake or underachieving.

 

 

Ahyoung wakes up, feeling slightly better than before, she collects her energy to stands up and leave the bedroom. “Sehun?” she calls out but no one reply back, she makes her way downstairs and hears a laughter from the living room.

“Hey,” she calls out as she enters the living room and finds both her husband and Soomi on the couch. Her couch.

She’s seen them at school being close all the time but she doesn’t know that seeing him with that girl in their house is way harder. The couple don’t seem to realize that she’s standing there, Ahyoung can feel she’s frozen up. She hates it, she builds all the way so no one can scare her but just seeing him with Soomi is enough to make the wall crumbling down.

“YOU!”

She looks back and see her parents, the fire inside her died out instantly. The aura turns cold and dark, “Why can’t you be a grateful child for once and make this easier huh?!” her father asks and a slap comes across her face. Ahyoung fell, her mother feels dissatisfied. Ahyoung tries to crawl away, to ask for help but somehow the distance between her and the couch is too far away.

“You ungrateful child, you shouldn’t even live!” at every words, her father hit her, just like she get used to.

“No, help me….” Ahyoung whimpers but Sehun doesn’t seem to hear her out. She’s in another slump, no one can save her.

“No… No…. NO!

 

 

“Hey, hey,” Sehun comes rushing from the sofas in her bedroom to her bedside. He’s been on guard since she might need anything at night so he decided to sleep on her sofa for the night.

Ahyoung opens her eyes and realizes that it was a dream, her forehead is sweating and she looks at Sehun at her bedside. “Are you okay? Bad dream?” he asks and she still can’t stabilize her breathing.

“Ssh, ssh…. It’s okay,” he pulls her into a hug and her breathing slow down. He doesn’t know what dream she had but it must be so bad, he could feel all the sweats at her back. He calms her down and as her breathing becomes steady, he measures her forehead’s temperature. Still hot but probably not as hot as before.

“Let’s put you back to sleep,” he says but her grip on his shirts is strong so he has no other option but to let her sleep on his embrace. It’s three in the morning, he’s sleepy but he have the urge to make sure she’s sound asleep before he goes back to sleep. He looks down and notices his shirt is wet, there’s a trace of tears formed in Ahyoung’s face.

“She’s crying?” he furrows his brows, whatever she dreamed about must be really devastating. His mother told him that when someone cries or scream after a dream, the dream is something about that person’s deepest secret or what they scare the most. As far as he lives with her, he doesn’t know what she’s scare of and they never really talk about it, looking back, they never really try to find out about each other more. They don’t share the same bedroom and their lifestyle is very different. It’s just like two people with different lifestyle living under the same roof. They rarely have a normal conversation except when one of their parents around. Speaking of which, he notices the tense when her parents are around. She never really say anything but he knows. The fake smile she made in front of them and how fidgety she becomes when they’re around. He wonders why.

And he doesn’t even know her birthday. The queenka of the school actually never throw a birthday party so he doesn’t know when her birthday is.

He looks around her bedroom, it’s really plain. He rarely goes in so he never really have a full view of it, now that he’s on her bed, calming her down. He takes hat chance to scan the room. The bedroom is in shades of dark brown, gold, and grey. There’s not even one personal item he could find, her dressing table is all arranged neatly. The white sofas also look really neat, the books in the cupboard and no photos at all. It feels like no one actually stay here for the past year, it feels like he’s looking at a showroom bedroom.

His bedroom is way more unorganized, a lot of his friends’ photos and books all over his desk. How does he say this? It feels like anyone’s bedroom would have something personal, something that tells that it is their bedroom. In Ahyoung’s bedroom, he can’t see any single personal items of hers other than books or cosmetic sets, there’s no teddy bear or photos that she put. She only have their wedding photo in a frame right on her desk and a copy of Van Gogh’s The Starry Night framed on the wall. He never knows that she’s a fan of the painter or a fan of anything related to paintings.

Sehun didn’t realizes he’s been observing the bedroom for almost half an hour when he looks at her phone by the table. Half past three in the morning, he looks at the now seemingly calm and small female in his embrace. He doesn’t know why but seeing her comfortable with his embrace is actually satisfying him. They were never this close and he’s quite a heavy sleeper, maybe she’s been having this kind of nightmares all this time but he just never notice.

“What actually happens to you Kim Ahyoung?”

 

 

It’s almost seven in the morning, Ahyoung opens her eyes and feels someone is holding her tight. She looks up and sees Sehun sleeping but still embracing her. She smiles contently, so her nightmare last night isn’t followed by another dream. She thought that him rushing to her bedside and embracing her are just another dream. But it’s not and somehow she feels safe in his embrace. She feels the towel still on her forehead then decides to get back to sleep.

Half an hour later, Sehun opens his eyes and realizes it’s already morning because the sunshine goes through the blind. He raises his left hand to cover his eyes and looks at Ahyoung who still asleep on his chest. He smiles and tries to peel her off his chest, he needs to prepare the breakfast. But first he put his hand on her forehead to make sure her temperature is going down. He has been changing her towel until he fell asleep around four in the morning.  He takes the towel from her forehead and put it in the basin, she’s still warm but the temperature might be lower than last night’s. Sehun stands up and let Ahyoung got into a more comfortable position.

Sehun changes the towel and put it again on her forehead before leaving downstairs. He checks his phone while walking downstairs to fetch her and himself a breakfast. He sees a text from his group chat, asking where is he.

‘Got to take care of Ahyoung, she could barely sit.’

Then the boys reply back to him. Jongin, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol are saying that she could take care of herself and she kind of deserves it. While Suho, Jongdae, and Kyungsoo say for him to take care and half-reprimanding the other three to shut up. Sehun chuckles, he close the group chat and sees a couple message from Soomi. He apologizes and says that he already ask the boys to fetch her for the day.

He walks to the kitchen to prepare some coffee for him and oatmeal for Ahyoung, he recounts his observation on Ahyoung’s bedroom. He can’t find anything personal in her bedroom, it feels like she rarely sleep there although she mostly spends her time in her bedroom. Everything seems too clean and impersonal. He tilts his head, “, why am I even thinking about that?” he mutter to himself and then continues to stir the oatmeal.

When he comes back to her bedroom, she’s already up. “You’re up?” he asks as he puts the tray on her bedside table. Ahyoung nods as she settles her back, “Thanks,” she says as he passes her the warm tea. “Feeling better?” he asks and she just shrugs, “Probably, I’m not spinning anymore so I should be getting better.” She says and Sehun just nods along. “You need help to eat?” he half-asking-half-teasing her and she just rolls her eyes, “I can help myself with that,” she says and he just laughs.

He looks around and decides to change the water in the basin for the new one while she’s eating. Ahyoung looks at him while eating her food, she loves it how he’s around her and takes care of her. She feels like it’s normal seeing how he moves freely in her bedroom, it seems natural.

“Can I ask you something?” Sehun says as he put the basin back near her bed, she nods in response while finishing her foods.

“Why don’t you have…. You know, personal stuffs?” he asks and she raises her brows, “I mean, your bedroom is very clean, I must say.” Sehun adds. “Well, thank you.” She says, quite confused how to respond to him. “Don’t beat around the bush, if you have anything to ask or say then do it.” Ahyoung says and Sehun looks around as he sits on the sofa. “I don’t see anything personal in this room, I mean, look at my room. You can see a lot of things, messy but at least it is recognizable as someone’s bedroom. Don’t you have anything to make it less impersonal?” Sehun asks and Ahyoung scoffs as she is done eating.

“I don’t really have anything to represent me, so no.” ahyoung shakes her head, “What about your childhood? Family trip? Birthdays?” he asks again and the girl on the bed still shakes her head. “My childhood isn’t like most kids, I don’t practically grew up while being given Barbie dolls and candies. Never went on a family trip, not even a birthday party. So, no.” she add as she takes her cup of tea from the bedside table.

Sehun furrows his brows, Ahyoung literally checks all the box for a spoiled brat. Her childhood must be full with expensive trip to Switzerland or shopping in Ginza. Or so he thought.

“You’re not close with your parents…?” he carefully asks her and she let out a scoff, “Depends on how you describe close.” She shrugs and the male nods as he understand the answer.

“You see, I don’t have a lot of friends. Unless you count fans as friends, I never thought anyone else as a friend. More like, allies. So now you know, go ahead and spread it like wildfire.”

He looks at her and suddenly understand her sweet tone, “You think I’ll use it against you?” he asks, “I told you, I don’t have friends other than Seongwoo. Others might want to find something in me to use it against me,” Ahyoung stares at her cup of tea. Although she sounds stern, Sehun realizes her expression isn’t that angry.

The awkward silence stays for a couple minutes, none of them know what to say to each other. Sehun is busy with his thoughts while Ahyoung is busy thinking whether telling him a little part of her is a good idea or not.

“You’ve finished?” Sehun suddenly stands up while rubbing his hands, Ahyoung looks at the already emptied bowl and cup as she nods. “I’ll bring you another tea,” he says and he leaves the room. Ahyoung sighs, she hates telling people her story. It makes her feel exposed and unprotected for some reason. But Sehun is somehow different, it feels like she could trust him with this. She’s just not sure yet. When she’s back all healthy, he’ll be back with his clingy whiny girlfriend and she’s all alone.

 


 

It’s past lunch and Ahyoung is sleeping in her room, Sehun is downstairs in the living room. He’s watching a movie because he’s too bored. His friends are all at school so he doesn’t really have anything to do when the girl is asleep. He leaves her because her fever is going down and she’s not sweating anymore. While scrolling through his phone, he heard the bell rings.

“Who is it?”

He mutters to himself as he walks to the door, he sees a glimpse of the guest. Furrowing his brows because he recognize the uniform.

“Hey,” Sehun opens the door to be greeted by Seongwoo who stands there alone, “Aren’t you supposed to be in class or something?” the house owner asks and the male guest just laughs. “I only have three class today, can I come in?” Seongwoo asks and Sehun makes a way for him.

“She’s sleeping?” Seongwoo asks and Sehun nods, “I just want to come by and gives this to her, I guess I’ll just give it to you then.” Seongwoo gives Sehun a paper bag. “She usually eats it when she’s sick or after she’s sick, that’s her favorite ox-bone soup restaurant, if you’re wondering.” Seongwoo explains as Sehun takes out a nicely wrapped take away bowl from the paper bag. “You really know her that well, I guess.” Sehun says as he put it on the kitchen counter top.

Seongwoo chuckles, “We’ve been friends since 3rd grade so yeah, I guess so. And by her personality, you know that no one really dare to speak to her.” Sehun nods as he can’t agree more.

“She’s just broken inside, that’s what people have to understand. But for someone like Ahyoung who can’t really express her feelings, no one really wants to understand her because she doesn’t really make an effort to make people understand. I won’t blame neither party,” Seongwoo adds as he sits on one of the breakfast stool, Sehun looks at him. Somehow understand what he means, “Drinks?” Sehun asks and Seongwoo shakes his head. “I got to go, my girlfriend is finishing her class soon.” he says and Sehun nods, “Does she tell you things already?” Seongwoo asks him casually. “Just that she’s not close with her parents, she told me this morning.” Sehun says and Seongwoo nods, “After almost two years?” he asks again and the male in front of him nods. There’s a silence for several minutes and then suddenly Seongwoo’s phone rings, “That’s my cue, got to go. Tell her to get well soon,” Seongwoo raises his phone and Sehun just laughs.

“Thank you for coming and talking,” Sehun thanks the boy and Seongwoo just smiles, “My pleasure,” Seongwoo smiles as he leaves the house.

Sehun goes back to the living room and fishes out his phone from his pocket, he decides to look at Ahyoung’s social media. Her instagram is filled with white and bright blue themed pictures, mostly about foods or just random spots. Her face only shown in two out of thirty photos. As she said she and her parents never went on a family trip, her trips to Hawaii or London must be a solo trip that she took herself.

“It must be lonely,” he mutters as he looks at all of her photos, everyone at school always treat her like a queen or god so he never notices whether she really has friends or don’t. To be short, he doesn’t really care about her because all she does is to annoy him, Soomi, or his friends.

Then he heard footsteps from the second floor and Ahyoung is seen walking down the stairs, “You need anything?” he asks and she just shakes her head. “My fever has gone down so I decided to leave my stuffy room,” she shrugs as she heads to the kitchen, Sehun gets up from the couch as he locks his phone. He goes to the kitchen too and sees that Ahyoung is looking at the paper bag on the counter top.

“Seongwoo was here, he said you’ll crave for the ox-bone soup when you’re sick or after you’re sick.” Sehun explains before she gets to ask anything and Ahyoung chuckles as she put her cup of tea right next to the teapot, “Yeah, he’s right.” she just laughs as she pours herself a cup of tea.

“Do you want to eat it for dinner?” he asks and she nods, “Thank you,” she mutters before leaving him alone in the kitchen. Sehun looks at the currently fit-again girl that leaves to the living room, he smiles.

Maybes, she’s not so bad after all.

 


 

“How was yesterday? Did you fight a lot?” Chanyeol asks and Sehun just rolls his eyes, “She’s actually really quiet when she’s sick, which I’m grateful for.” Sehun answers as he pull out a chewing gum from his pocket.

“Speaking about the devil,” Baekhyun nods at the class’ entrance, Ahyoung walks into the class with a sandwich on her right hand. She scans the room as always and then just walks to her usual seat, Sehun looks at her as she takes a seat right at the back.

Soomi comes by and sits right next to Sehun as always, “She’s okay?” she asks Sehun and he just shrugs. ‘Sorry I couldn’t come to school yesterday,” he apologizes and she just timidly nods, “How about a date after school? To repent about yesterday,” Sehun offers and the shy girl just smiles. “Yes, be my guest.” she nods, Sehun smiles as he ruffles her hair. Something that he does to tease his girlfriend.

He takes a glance at Ahyoung who sends him a glare, they’ve been talking fine yesterday and then she’s back being herself today. Just another day in Ahyoung’s little angry world, that’s how Baekhyun and the others describe it.

Seongwoo comes to the class like always and goes to Ahyoung’s table, “Hey you, feeling better?” he asks the girl. Ahyoung just chuckles at his question, “I’m here, feeling better thanks to the soup.” she thanks him and Seongwoo just laughs as he sits right in front of her. “Do you want to watch a movie after school?” he offers her and Ahyoung chortles at his offer, “With you and Woori? No, thank you. I don’t need being a third wheel, it’s too crowded.” Ahyoung simply rejects and Seongwoo realizes the last words aren’t for him and his girlfriend. He takes a look at her before she rolls her eyes as she knows what he’s going to say or to do, “I’m going to the restroom,” she says as she locks her phone and leaves the class.

In the hallway, she meets the infirmary doctor. The older female nods and smile at her, greeting her. “Thank you, for yesterday.” Ahyoung says and the doctor turns mid track to look at female student, “No need, I’m just doing a favor, that’s all.” the doctor smiles and AHyoung stares at her for some time before let out a small smile.

“Still, thanks.” Ahyoung bows to the doctor before go on her way.

 

 


 

“Tell me again, why are you guys following us?”

Sehun groans for the hundredth time as he, Soomi, and the other boys walk into the mall. “Because Soomi said she doesn’t mind, right Soomi?” Jongdae mockingly says, more like teasing Sehun. Soomi laughs at the boys, “Aw, come on. It will be such fun anyway,” Soomi remarks as she holds Seun’s left arms. “Fine,” Sehun surrender to his girlfriend request.

“So, what are we going to do tday?” Kyungsoo asks them, “Movie? None of you have watched the new Star Wars movie right?” Suho asked and they all shake their heads. “Great, this is not what I expected this morning when I asked you for a date,” Sehun complain but Soomi just laughs.

“Hey, isn’t that Woori?” Baekhyun points at a girl with a brown bag, leaning on a wall while playing her phone.

“Hey, Woori!” Soomi calls out as she approaches her and the girl called locks up from her phone then smile at them, “Hey,” she puts away her phone as Sehun and the others also walk towards her.

“What are you doing here?” Soomi asks, “Oh, movie date with Seongwoo. He’s in the restroom, doing his business.” Woori answers and the others laugh. “Are you going to watch Star Wars too?” Baekhyun asks and Woori nods, “Yeah, Seongwoo have a big crush on Luke Skywalker.” she quipped. “Let’s just watch together then, it will be such fun. All of us, together.” Chanyeol suggests and Woori nods along.

“It would be nice if Ahyoung comes along too though,” Woori mutters as she takes a glance at Sehun who quickly raises his brows, “You actually want her to be here? Joining us?” Jongin asks her to make sure she’s saying the right thing.

“Yeah, Ahyoung’s not that bad actually. Seriously,” Woori defends the girl and Soomi just furrows her brows at the sentence. The word not should have been nonexistence.

“Oh, come on. She can’t be that nice,” Baekhyun growls and Woori just laughs, “Seriously, she actually let Seongwoo to go on a date with me on her birthday. Not something you’d imagine for someone like her, right? I also thought that she might want him for her only but she actually rejects his idea and let me go on a date with my boyfriend.” Woori says and the boys’ expression turned confused.

“Birthday?” Sehun asks and Woori just nods, “Speaking of which, when is her birthday? She never throws a party or anything,” Jongdae wonders and then Woori widens her eyes as if she realizes something’s wrong.

“Ah that’s—“

“Hey,”

Seongwoo comes back from the restroom and goes right next to Woori, “Ah, they’re offering to watch the movie together.” Woori quickly says before anyone ask anything.

“Star Wars? Sure, what were you guys talking about?” Seongwoo asks as he puts his phone to his coat, “We were asking about when Ahyoung birthday is,” Soomi blurts and Sehun realizes Seongwoo’s expression harden.

“You don’t know when her birthday is? After almost two years?” Seongwoo retorts as he look at Sehun who’s standing right in front of him, Sehun hesitantly shakes his head and Seongwoo just stay silence about it.

“Well, Ahyoung decides not to tell anyone about it so I shall respect her desire. Let’s go, tickets on me today.” Seongwoo says as he smiles and then lead the pack to the movie theater. Suho tilts his head but then just goes along, Jongdae thinks about Seongwoo’s behavior and Sehun simply wonders  ‘when was it?’ in his mind as he follows Seongwoo with the others.

 

 


 

“I’m so sorry I shouldn’t have say anything,”

Woori says as she and Seongwoo get in his black Range Rover, Seongwoo looks at her as he puts on his seatbelt.

“That’s alright, people do mistakes sometimes. I won’t blame you,” he smiles at her and then starts the ignition. Woori fiddles with her fingers, she feels bad. “Aw, come on. Don’t blame yourself, they still don’t know right?” Seongwoo caresses her hair and she just tilts her head, “Still, I feel kind of guilty,” she says and Seongwoo simply laughs as he driving his car out of the parking lot.

“You really not going to tell anyone then?” she asks and he shakes his head, “Like I said, she decides not to tell anyone so I’ll respect that.” he answers. Woori nods along, she understand his answer.

“On top of that, Sehun should find out himself.”

Seongwoo mutters but Woori can hears it loud and clear, she looks out to the window and then thinks about something.

“Then, I want to celebrate her birthday this year. The three of us, how about that?” she claps her hands at the idea, Seongwoo laughs as he takes a glance at her.

“I don’t know, you know her….” he shrugs at the idea, he never try it. “Oh come on. I hate being alone on birthdays, birthdays are the day when someone should be celebrating because that’s the day they were born into this world. Right?” Woori explains and Seongwoo just nods along, she’s kind of right.

“Jut the three of us, no biggie like yours. Maybe at her house, your house, my house, Han River’s riverside. Anywhere, it shouldn’t matter,” Woori says and Seongwoo smiles, “You really care about her, huh? I thought you hated her being my best friend,” he says and Woori throws him a look.

“I did at first but after last year…. I kind of understand her,” Woori softly says and Seongwoo sighs, they both know exactly what happen on Ahyoung’s birthday last year.

 

 


 

“Seriously? You’re going to ignore my effort to get this cake for you just for me to go on a date with Woori?”

Seongwoo retorts at Ahyoung’s wish and the birthday girl simple rolls her eyes, “Seriously, I don’t want to ruin your relationship that just started six months ago. Go, have fun with her.” she simply casts him out of her living room. She stands up from the couch to take the cake to the fridge.

“Ah, come on. You’re really going to do this? No one loves being alone on their birthday,” Seongwoo remarks and Ahyoung let out a snort, “Seriously? Ong Seongwoo?” she throws him a look and the boy sighs.

“You sure Sehun’s coming home early?” he makes sure before he leaves her because he knows that Ahyoung really want him to be gone.

“Yeah, I’ve texted him like two hours ago and he replied. So please, enjoy your date young master Ong,” Seongwoo can’t believe her but then just laughs and goes to hug her, “Happy birthday, I really hope you’ll celebrate your birthday with someone joyfully this year.” he says as he pulls away. Ahyoung laughs, “Now go. Woori must be waiting,” she playfully pushes him and he just laugh.

“Open my gift right at 11.59 p.m okay?” Ahyoung rolls her eyes at the silly request, she simply nods as she pushes him out of her house.

---

“The movie was really fun,” Woori says and Seongwoo nods along, “Yeah, I definitely see you drooling over Tye Sheridan.” Seongwoo says and she slaps his arm. “Seriously,” she shakes her head, Seongwoo just laughs as she bends down to tie his shoes lace.

Woori looks around and then sees something right across the street, she squints her eyes to see better and makes sure her eyes aren’t playing tricks on her.

“Hey, Seongwoo.” she calls out her boyfriend name, “Hmm?” he simply hums as he still tying his shoe laces.

“Didn’t you say Ahyoung is going to celebrate her birthday with Sehun at home?” she asks him while still looking at the figure right across the street, “Yeah, what’s wrong?” Seongwoo stands up as he finishes tying his laces. “Then what is she doing there alone?” Woori still doesn’t let her sight over the familiar figure gone, Seongwoo looks at where she’s looking and then furrows his brows.

“That’s her….” Seongwoo murmurs, Woori looks up at him and sees his expression changed. Ahyoung is sitting in front of a minimarket with a can of soda and ramen cup in front of her, staring into nothing.

Seongwoo sighs as he closes his eyes, “Let’s just go,” he says as he brings Woori to the other direction. “We’re not going to approach her?” she asks and he shakes his head, “I’ll just wait for her to tell me. From her expression, she must be really upset.” he says.

 


 

“She really didn’t say anything about it?” Woori asks as they stops in the traffic light, Seongwoo shakes his head. “The Ahyoung I know will never say anything upsetting her to others. She just never,” he answers and Woori sighs.

“She must be lonely,”

Woori murmurs and Seongwoo turns to his girlfriend with a smile, “I’m going to buy her presents too this year. You’re not the only one who get to buy her one,” Woori continues her suggestion and he just chuckles.

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll just follow what you want, boss.” he groans as she punches him in the arm.

 

 

Sehun opens the door of the house and sees Ahyoung in the living room, she changes her attention from her Netflix to him.

“Where were you?”

She simply asks him as she focus back to the television, he enters the living room as he takes off his coat.

“Movie, with the boys and Soomi. Oh, also Woori and Seongwoo.” Sehun answers and Ahyoung quickly throws him a questioning look, “We met at the mall so we decided to watch the movie together,” he shrugs and the girl on the couch rolls her eyes.

“With her?” she flatly asks, “Yes, her. I have a girlfriend, in case you forget.” Sehun says as he walks to the kitchen to take a glass of water. “Yeah, her.” Ahyoung says as she follows him leaving the living room.

“Why do you hate her so much? What did Soomi do that makes you hate her that much?”

Sehun asks before she gets to climb up the stairs, she stops mid track and then stares at him. She’s not saying anything but then just leaves him downstairs as she continues to climb the stairs. Sehun looks at her and really can’t understand why she hates Soomi very much. His girlfriend certainly never do anything to the girl, they didn’t even know each other until their marriage was set up.

He’ll never realize that it wasn’t Soomi that Ahyoung hates, it’s because he actually spends more time with the said girl. That he actually feel need to protect Soomi, not her. Soomi is weak and selfless, traits that Ahyoung hates. She was taught that being weak and selfless mean you let someone win over you, let someone put their ego above you and could push you aside very easily. That’s what she learns as she grows up, there will never be a place for the weak. Ahyoung can’t understand why they all so protective towards the weak nerdy girl, out of all people in the world why her?

Ahyoung enters her bedroom and then sighs, life has never been so easy on her. It’s like saying her life is a joke unlike others’. She has the right to be mad, he’s her husband ‘by law and paper’ but still they’re married.

Back downstairs, Sehun still thinking about the conversation in the mall. He doesn’t realize that he didn’t know her birthday, not even once. She never say anything or try to make him do something on her birthday.

She actually let Seongwoo to go on a date with me on her birthday,”

When was it?

When is it?

Asking her would be the weirdest and craziest idea, he just need to find it by himself. Seongwoo’s respond at him not knowing her birthday is the coldest stare he ever sees from him. But that’s normal, they’ve been living in the same house for almost two year and not knowing her birthday might be too much, right?

But then again, this is a girl who’s constantly mentally torturing his girlfriend. Not some saint or angel nor a main character material. Just another antagonist in his and Soomi’s life. So he doesn’t really need to know, right?

“Argh, damn it!”

Sehun groans in annoyance, his life isn’t simple after all.

 

 

It’s a gloomy Thursday because there’s a lot of clouds in the sky, Ahyoung is just grabbing some books from her locker. Someone taps her shoulder and she takes a glance to see Seongwoo. “So, you’re not doing anything on your birthday right?” he asks and she throws him a glare at the word birthday.

“I mean, in three weeks’ time, sorry.” Seongwoo mutters as he looks around, “Nothing, you know. Why?” she asks him back as she slams her locker door.

“Well, Woori wants to celebrate it for you.” Ahyoung throws him a questioning look, “Just the three of us, simple hang out kind of thing? No biggie, she just wants you to celebrate it,” Seongwoo explains before she throws him some harsh or curse words. She’s thinking for a while, “Ask me in three weeks’ time then,” she says and Seongwoo’s lips turn into a smile, knowing that she’s actually reconsidering it.

“Great! You won’t regret it, I promise.” he nudges her elbow and she just rolls her eyes at him, maybe celebrating a birthday wasn’t bad after all. Ahyoung doesn’t know, she doesn’t have the will to celebrate they day she was brought to the world. The day when her parents constantly remind her to be grateful because she’s alive and born into the world which if she could choose, she would rather not to be born if this is the life she has.

That’s life, made with lies and ifs.

“Anyway, it’s going be raining. Do yu have umbrella?” Seongwoo asks her as he looks at the sky from the big window. Ahyoung looks at the sky, it’s dark. “Maybe, I don’t know. Never check it,” she shrugs, “Yeah, kind of forgot you hate useless things.” he retorts and earn a punch from her. Seongwoo just laughs, “One more class before home, see ya!” he says as he goes to different class. Ahyoung nods at Him and then enters the class. It’s an AP Macroeconomics class, only twelve people take the course. Ahyoung takes five APs for her last year in high school, hoping that taking 15 AP throughout her school years get her a seat in overseas college. Going overseas means no parents, no heartbreak. Her school is one of the few schools in Korea to take the US educational models and offers 20 AP classes. As far as she knows, she is the only one who completed ten by grade 11th scored 5 in six out of ten tests. She’s on top of the honor roll and doesn’t want anything to jeopardize her chance to get out be free.

She takes a seat and set her books before taking out her phone from her pocket. Unlike any other students who take AP classes, she prefers Netflix over reading the material before classes. AP classes are her channels to let her parents know that she’s worth it and also let her stay at school more than house with studying excuse.

Sehun enters the class as he is also attending the same AP Chemistry with her, he looks at her and then takes a seat right beside her. Out of his friends, only he and Suho who actually manages to take three AP in senior year. This AP class is the class that he needs to take because of his parents’ demand, they only have two AP classes that they want him to take which is AP Macroeconomics and AP Statistics.

He groans as he pulls out his phone, he’s really bored with the subject but then school year is almost over so he only needs to hold on for several more months. He looks at AHyoung at his left, he can’t understand how she manages to excel her study (he only have one 5 out of 5 AP classes he took) because the only thing he ever sees is her watching Netflix from her phone or from the television.

Enrolling in the same AP class with Ahyoung that his friends aren’t taking is actually nerve-wrecking for him. Sehun likes to study with someone else because he can asks but then, if he wants to ask someone about this subject, there’s only Ahyoung. Not long after that the teacher came in and everyone goes to their seat. Sehun sighs, he wish he could just take music class with his friends.

 

 

 

The lightning is really frightening, it’s really dark and most students who are trapped in school are those who bring their own car and since the parking lot is an opened field, they would need an umbrella which only a few bring them along to school.

“God, I don’t bring an umbrella…” Chanyeol mutters as he look at the dark grey skies and pouring rain, “I told you to bring one this morning,” Baekhyun groans at the giant male. “Oh, come on. I was busy getting all of your sandwich orders this morning, be thankful you get to have a breakfast.” Chanyeol fires back and the shorter male chuckles in annoyance. Soomi just laughs looking at the two, Sehun hasn’t finished his macroeconomics class yet so she might be going home alone or waiting for Sehun to finish his class.

“Hey, do you want me to take you home? Our house is close by, right?” Jongdae asks and Soomi declines him nicely, “I’ll just wait until it’s over, you guys can go home first.” she says to Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Jongdae. Suho still not finished with his Calculus BC class yet. “Nah, it will take forever to stop and sometimes Sehun’s class goes overtime. Come on,” Kyungsoo says and Soomi shakes her head, “I still have some works left to do anyway, thank you!” she walks to the library as she waves her hand to them.

An hour later, the classes are officially over and everyone groan as the rain still hasn’t stopped yet.

“Damn it,” Ahyoung groans as she doesn’t bring her umbrella to school, Seongwoo usually have it but his class is over early and probably already heads home with Woori, she hates to wait for the rain to stop. She goes to her locker to put the books she doesn’t need and bring the books that has a homework for tomorrow. As she slowly unpacks and packs her bag, she looks at Sehun from the corner of her eyes. The by always way prepared than her so she knows he’ll bring an umbrella to school. Before she could even close her locker door, Sehun walks away to the library section of the school without looking back.

Ahyoung frowns, she curiously following her because the parking lot is sure the other side of that part of school. She keeps a distance and then stops when she sees Soomi getting out from the library. Her breathing starts getting heavy and sweating, her again.

“Sehun,”

Ahyoung calls out, the boy looks at her from the distance but then he looks back at Soomi. Ahyoung stays there and without even saying anything, Sehun goes with Soomi without even glancing back at her. She looks at the two and clutch her coat tightly, he doesn’t even look back. He doesn’t greet her back, he doesn’t say anything, he doesn’t care at all.

Yeah, he doesn’t.

That’s it, she doesn’t need any proof. It’s been almost two years, she has enough.

 

 


 

It’s half past eight and Sehun hasn’t heard from Ahyoung, he left her at school because he needs to be Soomi’s boyfriend. He’s been quite distant with Soomi, he feels bad for the marriage and feels like he’s been a lousy boyfriend for Soomi. That’s not wrong, after all he and Ahyoung never have feelings toward each other.

Then he hears the front door open, Ahyoung enters the house with soaked coat. Her uniform isn’t that wet but her coat and hair are soaked.

“Gosh, where were you?”

Funny how Sehun is the one who ask her that because usually it would be the other way around. Ahyoung let out a scoff as she keeps walking upstairs, “Ahyoung, wait!” Sehun tries to hold her but she doesn’t listen to him and slam her bedroom’s door.

He sighs, he’s just being a good boyfriend to a girlfriend. Is that so wrong? He wants to knock on her door but knowing her for quite some times now, it might not be the best time to approach her.

Inside her room, Ahyoung puts off her uniform and let out a big sigh. She can’t put with this anymore, she’s trapped. Might be better than being trapped in her parents’ house but this is just slowly killing her. She’s exhausted from him, from life, from everything. There must be an end, it’s like her life is just a circle. A loop.

It goes on and on and on.

And she keeps die, die, and die.

She must to find a way out of this, graduation is months away and she doesn’t think she’ll last that long.

“,” she curses as she throws her half wet uniform to the floor, she fills up her bathtub and decides to soak off her thoughts in the warm bath. Ahyoung always thinks clearer in a bathtub filled with warm water and Lush bath bombs.

People say time will forget, but what Ahyoung learns is that time just conceal. It never really go away or forgotten. She thought her parents love her dearly and wait for them to return the love she has for them, the unconditional love she has for them. But it’s just a waste of time and energy, the love she waits never really come to her. Her parents never care about her, she’s not a daughter to them. Just another person, an asset, a valuable deal maker. The merger and acquisition between Majesty and Haemyung tripled their capital worth, talking about profits.

Ahyoung opens her nightstand drawer and pulls out a brown envelope. She thought Sehun would be the one who pulls out this card to her, not the other way around. But life is full of unexpected things, she knows she should never expect anything in her life. The last time she expects for something, she celebrated her own birthday in front of a minimarket alone. Such an expectation.

 

 


 

“Oh yeah, another day before weekend. I hope we can get this over really quickly, can’t wait for Macau this weekend.”

Kyungsoo lazily mutters as he takes his books from the locker, “You’re going to Macau this weekend? What for?” Chanyeol curiously asks as he looks at the shorter male. “My brother is throwing a birthday party and also preparing to go on one knee for his girlfriend. So, being a best baby brother I am. I’m going there with the whole family,” Kyungsoo answers as he shakes his head. He never really fond of going away because his safe place is his house, especially the kitchen.

“You’re his only brother, Soo.” Jongdae remarks and the other boys laugh, Kyungsoo just rolls his eyes at them and then closes his locker.

“Anyone interested in going to Gangwondo with me?” Jongin asks as he leans over his locker, “What? Skiing?” Sehun asks and the latter nods. “I have nothing to do,” Baekhyun quickly agrees to Jongin’s plan. “We’re in,” Suho says, we as in him and Jongdae. “Do you want to come along?” Sehun asks Soomi who’s right beside him, the girl thinks for a while before nodding. “Alright, we’re in.” Sehun smiles and as soon as he says that, a slam is heard.

All the students in the hallway look at the source of voice, Ahyoung locks her locker and walks away. The sound of her black ankle Louboutin against the floor fills the silence, no one dare to talk until she’s gone. Sehun throws a worry look, they haven’t been talking and she even leaves the house earlier than him this morning. She’s mad but this isn’t like the usual tantrum, there’s something else about this. Meanwhile, Jongdae looks at Ahyoung as she walks away. He’s seen how her parents treat her few weeks ago. He’s sure much worse things happened behind closed doors, he never tells anyone about it. He’s not even sure Sehun realizes that she’s been abused.

“What’s with her?” Suho mumbles as everyone go back with their activities, Sehun shrugs. “Haven’t been talking to her,” he adds, Jongdae looks at the taller male and just sighs. Maybe he doesn’t know anything after all and he has no rights to say anything without reliable proof. “Let’s go, our classes re starting soon.” Jongdae says to them and they all walk towards their respective class. Only Sehun and Chanyeol shares the same morning class, the others have separate class. Jongae happens to be in the same class for this morning with Ahyoung.

He looks at the girl who has occupied the back seat at the last row, but the girl is standing with Seongwoo. They are talking and Seongwoo doesn’t seem too happy with their conversation. Jongdae furrows his brows but she doesn’t want to look like eavesdropping so he just take seat and occupies himself with his phone. Not long after that, he can hears Seongwoo’s voice.

“Why? Why do you have to do this?” the boy asks and Ahyoung lets out a chuckle, “You do know why, you’ll help me with it right?” she asks him and Seongwoo lets out a groan. Jongdae doesn’t hear anything but because Ahyoung simply thanks him, he knows that Seongwoo just goes with whatever she asks. Seongwoo walks to his seat and then take a look at Ahyoung again, he lets out a sigh and then just goes to sleep. Jongdae doesn’t know what are they talking about but Seongwoo’s expression doesn’t change for the whole class.

 

 


 

Ahyoung is walking to the restroom when someone calls out her name, she turns around and her expression stoned.

“There she is,” a teacher says as she points at Ahyoung who just stands there, her parents thank the said teacher before walking towards their daughter.

Mr. Kim takes a look at their surroundings, they’re are the end of the east hall where students rarely there during breaks. Ahyoung isn’t feeling like eating at the cafeteria so she decides to just strolling around while eating from the vending machine.

“What did you do?” her mother asks as soon as they’re left alone, “What do you—“ Ahyoung’s question is cut short by a loud slap to her cheek.

“Do you think we don’t know that you’re not doing well with Sehun?” her mother asks again, slightly raises her tone and Ahyoung flinches a little.

“One of their lawyers was looking up the prenuptial agreement yesterday, what do you think it looks like?” Mr. Kim and this time Ahyoung feels like she’s shrinking. Her father low yet piercing tone always succeeds in scaring her, they’re too big for her.

“What did you do you wicked child?!” her mother asks again, Ahyoung tries to stand tall but somehow she loses her confidence.

“I didn’t do anything! It’s not my fault that we’re not doing well,” Ahyoung answers but she mutters her last words because she knows how her parents are going to react.

Not your fault? Then whose fault is it? Mine?” her father asks, his sarcasm manages to make Ahyoung flinches.

“You useless kid, you can’t even safeguard a marriage. What can you actually do, huh?” Mrs.Kim throws her a question again and before Ahyoung could even answer to that question, another slap flies to her other cheek. Ahyoung falls back to the wall right behind her.

“Listen to me you ungrateful child, all you have to do is to safeguard this marriage and don’t make a fuss. You know you’re no longer useful if you can’t even do that,” her mother squeezes her shoulders tightly, Ahyoung whimpers in pain.

“I don’t remember raising such a useless child like you in the first place.” Mr. Kim says as his wife lets Ahyoung go, “Do you job properly,” that’s all Ahyoung got to hear before they leave. Ahyoung can feel the stinging pain on both of her cheeks, she hold her arms and feel the ring marks that her mother left her. She doesn’t remember the last time she ever got a beating this bad, although this isn’t even half as severe as what they did back before she’s married to Sehun.

She slumps to the floor for a while before someone offers a hand for her, she looks up expecting Seongwoo but she sees Jongdae concerned expression as he offers his hand. Ahyoung looks at him before grabs his hand and tries to stand in her own feet that turns to jelly a while ago.

“Are you…. Alright?” Jongdae asks slowly, “You’d know my answer,” AHyoung simply says as she tries to look at her won face with her phone.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to,” Jongdae apologizes for witnessing everything, Ahyoung puts back her phone in her pocket before looking at him.

“You knew, didn’t you?” she asks, referring to their encounter weeks ago when her mother confronts her at school. Jongdae nods and Ahyoung lets out a chuckle, they don’t say anything to each other for a while. Jongdae is processing everything that he just seen and Ahyoung is looking at the right words she needs to say to him.

“I’m leaving,” she suddenly breaks the silence and Jongdae looks at her, “What?” he asks her and Ahyoung looks away.

“I’m leaving just like how everyone wish me to,” Ahyoung says again, her tone isn’t sad or angry. It’s the calmest tone that Jongdae ever hears from anyone, emotionless. He usually good at reading people but this Ahyoung isn’t readable. He can’t sense whether she’s just sarcastically joking or actually sad because she’s giving up.

“Don’t tell anyone, no one except Seongwoo knows, yet.” Ahyoung warns him and he just nods. Although they never talk this lengthy, Ahyoung somehow trusts him as a confidant. He doesn’t say anything about what her mother did to her few weeks ago, it’s an enough proof that shows he wouldn’t say anything to others out of her consent.

“We might never talk before this but thank you,” Ahyoung says before leaving him and Jongdae stays there as he watches the girl enters the restroom. For some reason, he wants to tell everything to Sehun. But then he respects her wish, to say nothing to nobody.

 


 

Sehun parks his car right next to Ahyoung’s in the garage. The boys decides to go Gangwon-do tonight so they could enjoy the whole Saturday skiing and then heads back on Sunday evening. He enters the house and doesn’t find Ahyoung laying on the couch watching Netflix as usual, she would throws him random question before yelling at each other or simply he furrows his brows and then heads to upstairs. As he goes to his bedroom, he passes Ahyoung’s bedroom and he hears that she’s on a phone.

“Yeah, can you help me on it?”

Sehun frowns when he hears what she’s saying, who is she calling? Before he even get close to the door, Ahyoung quickly closes the door as is she knows that he’s going to eavesdropping. Well, technically he just happen to hear what she’s saying without planning on eavesdropping her conversation with God knows who. He just shrugs it away and continues to walk to his bedroom. As he packs his stuffs, his phone rings.

“Yes?” he puts his phone to loud speaker before tossing it to the bed next to his backpack so he can continues to pack his stuffs, “We’re meeting in Jongin’s house right?” he can hears Chanyeol’s deep voice from the other side.

“Yeah, I’ll pick up Soomi along the way. We’ll just meet there,” Sehun says as he takes his charger from the bedside table, “Alright then, see you!” Chayeol’s excitement can be heard and Sehun just laughs as he hangs up. He takes a beanie before zips up his bag and makes sure he got everything he needs to be away during the weekend. The winter has just passed a month ago but it’s never too late for skiing.

Sehun picks up his phone and put his bag over his shoulder before leaving his bedroom. He meets Ahyoung as he about to walk downstairs, she looks at him but then doesn’t say anything and then just walks downstairs.

“Ski trip?” she finally asks when he’s about to take his car keys from the counter top where he usually puts his keys, “Yeah, you heard?” he asks back and Ahyoung just scoffs. “I’m not deaf. Ski trip with her?” Ahyoung asks again with a mocking tone and Sehun frowns at that, “Her name is Soomi and yes, also the boys.” he answers.

“Her,” Ahyoung doesn’t seem care to mention her name as she walks to get a glass of water, “Listen up, I don’t know what kind of game you’re playing on me. Stop it, you won’t achieve anything by doing this. I think we both mature enough to know.” Sehun raises his tone a little bit to warn her. Ahyoung keeps pouring a glass of water for herself before turning to look at him.

“Of course, enjoy your trip.” Ahyoung says before takes a sip, Sehun furrows his brows as he hears that.

“Thanks…?” he says before heading to the garage and leaves the house to get Soomi.

Ahyoung watches from the front window as his car pulls out from the garage and leaves. She sighs, it might be their last conversation and he doesn’t seem to care, well he doesn’t know so it’s not his fault. If this ever anyone’s fault, it would be their parents’ fault but her parents would never admits that they’re wrong. She’s tired, she needs to run far from here. She returns to her bedroom and sighs for the hundredth time, she’s really tired. She doesn’t want to tell Sehun, he doesn’t care and even if she wants to tell him, he couldn’t know. She needs to protect him from her parents, God knows what they could do to him.

 

 

 

“Yeay! We’re hereeee!”

Chanyeol stretches his body after some long drive due to traffic to Gangwon-do, “Good job, driver Park.” Jongdae pats the giant male’s shoulder as he takes their bags from the trunk. “You should at least give me something, I’ve managed to get us through all that traffic.” Chanyeol asks Jongdae and Baekhyun who were in the same car as him.

“Oh, shut up and help us get these bags inside.” Baekhyun mutters and Chanyeol quickly takes a bag from the latter’s hand.

“Excited much?” Sehun asks Soomi who slowly nods, “I’ll take our bags, you can go inside first with Suho and Jongin.” he says and the girl smiles as she follows the two male who have the keys to Jongin family’s cabin.

“Soomi you can use the bedroom upstairs with Sehun, Suho and Jongdae will be next to you so don’t think about doing anything funny at night.” Jongin says as everyone gets in to the cabin, “Hey!” Sehun protest and Soomi just blush. “The three of us will use the bedroom in the first floor, done?” Jongin asks as he finishes dividing everyone’s room, everyone nod so they begin t put their bags inside their own bedrooms.

“Shall we cook the foods we bought earlier? There’s no Kyungsoo here and God knows when we could properly eat if we don’t start now,” Suho suggests as they all sit in the living room, “I’ll help,” Jongdae says, knowing none of the other boys want to help or actually helps in the kitchen. “Me too!” Soomi raises her hand and then follow the two males to the kitchen, Sehun puts his phone away and then decides to join the trio in the kitchen.

“Why are you here?” Suho asks as if Sehun is prohibited to be in the kitchen, “Chanyeol snores and those two freaks is yelling over Nintendo,” Sehun nods at Baekhyun and Jongin’s direction. “Hey, where’s the pepper we bought?” Jongdae asks and Soomi stops putting everything on the table, “Oh, I think I put it in my bag because you guys take it last minute. I’ll go get it,” she says and then goes upstairs to her bedroom.

“Wait, I have to answer this.” Suho says as his phone rings and he leaves Jongdae with Sehun in the kitchen. The older male takes a glance at Sehun who’s continuing Soomi’s job, “Hey, did you talk to Ahyoung before you go here?” Jongdae asks Sehun who stops doing what he’s doing for a while before continues with a frown. “Yeah, why?” Sehun asks back and Jongdae goes back to cutting the vegetables, “Did she say anything?” Jongdae carefully asks but he knows that Sehun Is already feels weird that he asks about the girl. “Aside from ‘enjoy your trip’? No, what is it Jongdae?” Sehun stops what he’s doing to look at the older male, “No, nothing. Just curious because you knows, she hates Soomi being around us,” Jongdae just shrugs as he keeps cutting without taking a glance at the taller male.

Sehun chuckles, “Well, she does mention Soomi as her a couple times. She refuses to say her name for some reason, but we’ve been on a trip like this for a couple times. I’m sure she’s fine with it,” Sehun scoffs as he puts the bags away so they could start cooking properly.

‘He really doesn’t know anything,’ Jongdae thinks as he keeps doing his task to cut every vegetable they’re going to use, he wonders why Ahyoung doesn’t tell him anything and how the hell Sehun doesn’t know anything about it. But then, Sehun doesn’t even know her birthday so it shouldn’t even shock him that he doesn’t know anything more about her. It’s not that he’s trying anyway.

 

 

 

“Watch out!”

Sehun looks over Soomi who’s skiing with Chanyeol right behind her, he smiles as the girl laughs with the giant male after he almost fell.

“I hope the holiday wasn’t over, I would love doing this every day.” Baekhyun mutters as he stops right beside Sehun, “Yeah, me too. Sadly, senior year came upon us. I wish I could just excel everything in an instance, like Ahyoung.” Jongin groans as he put on his gloves properly. “I’m really confused, how the hell she managed to get all those A’s and finished half of the AP class by eleventh grade?” Baekhyun wonders as he turns his head towards Sehun who just shrugs. “I’ve never seen her studying at home, well, I hang a lot with you guys so I may never know but I’ve always seen her watching Netflix at home.” Sehun says as he fixes his googles.

“Maybe she bribed the school? You know her parents are the main donors of the school,” Jongin scrunches up his nose, wondering and Sehun just chuckles, “But she is smart, I’m not surprised with her results.” Sehun says before catching up the rest. Jongin and Baekhyun also catch up with the others.

Sehun is about to approaches Soomi who’s laughing with Chanyeol and Jongdae when he hears a familiar voice. He turns around and sees no one that he thought would be the owner of the voice, he frowns. Why does he hear things like Ahyoung’s voice? He might have gone crazy from all the yelling and argument they have for the past year.

“God, I’m crazy.”

He mutters and then joins the rest of the group, “So, race and the loser have to make dinner for today?” Chanyeol suggests and the others happily nods except Suho. “The last time we race was in Vermont and you know what you guys did to win,” Suho reminds them what happened in Vermont last year and the others just shrugs innocently.

“Come on, it will be fun. No foul play this time!” Baekhyun pleads and the older male just shakes his head in disbelief, they pushed one another last year and Suho ended up being the one who made the dinner by himself (with Jongdae helped washing the dishes). “Come on, let’s do a race!” Soomi teams up with Jongin and Baekhyun to persuade Suho.

“Alright, alright. No foul play, I’m going to kill all of you if anyone do something funny,” Suho warns them all and everyone cheer, “Yay! Let’s decided the start point then,” they decide to walk around a little before finding on the right track for them to race. “You can just hop into Sehun, he’s really good at this.” Jongdae says to Soomi who just laughs at the suggestion, “Yeah, we all did the funny things and he’s the only one who managed to win alongside Kyungsoo. All the struggles we’ve been through,” Baekhyun shakes his head. “Hey, to be fair, you guys did it by yourself!” Sehun defends himself and the others just laugh.

“Alright, ready, set, GO!”

Sehun is almost winning when he somehow sees a glimpse of Ahyoung right at the end of the track, he almost trip but manages to catch his balance and then open his goggles to see if it’s her or just another imagination of his.

He looks at the girl who he thought to be her and it turns out to be another person. He frowns, what’s wrong with him? He can’t be missing that witch, he’s with his girlfriend now. This sighting of Ahyoung never happen to him, hell he doesn’t even care about her. Maybe talking to her and only her for a day full when she’s sick is making his brain doing weird things.

“DINNER’S ON SEHUN!”

Baekhyun shouts in a victory with the others as Sehun doesn’t really finish until the end of track and he just sighs as he joins the others a few feet away from him.

“Really? It’s just a few feet away guys,” Sehun protest but the others still want him to cook the dinner even after a long debate, “That’s alright, I can help if you want to.” Soomi suggest and the others groan. “Hey, that’s not fair! He’ll have to cook alone Soomi, what does this race even mean if you’re going to help him.” Jongin complains and Soomi just laughs, sometimes the boys are really just being boys.

“Alright, alright. Let’s head back, I’ll help you prepare the ingredients.” Jongdae says and they all agree with him.

On the way back, Sehun isn’t really talking with the others. He looks like has a lot in his mind, Jongdae looks at him but decides not to say anything yet. Sehun would join in a conversation between Soomi and Baekhyun for a while but then stay silence for the rest journey back to the cabin. Why is he thinking about Ahyoung? Why does he feel something’s wrong? Their last conversation yesterday sounds different, not terribly different but something’s off and he can’t put his finger on it.

As soon as they reach the cabin, the others decide to take a shower and just wait up for Sehun to prepare the dinner. Sehun head to the kitchen after taking a shower first and then joined by Jongdae.

“What do you want to make?” Jongdae asks Sehun who still looking at his phone, looking concerned over something. “Hey, Sehun.” Jongdae taps his shoulder after waiting for an answer and the younger male quickly looks at him, “Maybe fried rice and stir fry? You know my cooking skill doesn’t go anywhere beyond that,” Sehun says and Jongdae laughs as he takes out some ingredients from the fridge.

“You seems distracted, what happen?” Jongdae asks when Sehun is cutting the onions, he looks at the older male and then let out a sigh. “I don’t know, I’ve been seeing Ahyoung. I don’t know why but it feels like she’s haunting me,” Sehun replies, Jongdae looks at him as he closes the fridge’s door. “What do you mean seeing her?” Jongdae tilts his head in confusion, “I mean, I thought someone else as her and I thought I hear her voice calling me. It’s not normal but I’m not crazy.” Sehun puts down his knife and then turn around to look at the slightly shorter male who’s just as confused as he is.

“She used to text me, leave a message on my voice mail, called me when I’m away with you, with Soomi. But today nothing happens, it’s not normal but it doesn’t mean that I’m okay with her terrorizing me every time I go outside without her. I just feel something’s off…? I don’t know, maybe I’m just crazy,” Sehun shakes his head, Jongdae looks at him. He wants to tell the younger male things that he know. But he just can’t do it. Ahyoung made him promise to never tell anyone about it, he wants to keep her promise and respect her wish. They may don’t know each other that well but from what he’s seen, he feels like the needs to do it.

“Withdrawal symptoms?” Jongdae blurts out and Sehun just laughs at his choice of words, “Probably, I don’t know. I’ll just get this dinner ready before someone yelling at me because he’s starving.” Sehun gets back to cooking and Jongdae decides to leave him as he haven’t take a shower yet.

 

 

 

Sehun pulls up at the garage, it’s Sunday evening and they all have gone back to their houses. He just drops off Soomi at her house before, still nothing from Ahyoung and it starts to make him confused. The girl used to cling on him every time he goes out especially out of town, she would terrorize his phone with short but frequent messages. He enters the house and then notice that she’s not in the living room or the dining room. He frowns and then heads upstairs, maybe she’s studying. Something that he has never seen at all but doesn’t mean he’ll eliminate that possibility. He approaches her room and then knock on it.

No answer.

Sehun frowns, “Ahyoung?” he calls out but no one’s answering. “I’m opening it up,” he announces as he twist the doorknob and then opens up to an empty bedroom. He’s confused.

Her car is in the driveway, there’s no way he would go anywhere without her car, she also would tell him whenever she’s leaving the house (although he said that he doesn’t care where she’s going but she’d still send him texts, telling him where she’s going when he’s not home).

“That’s weird,” he mutters and then notices that their photo on her desk. “Where are you Ahyoung?” he mutters but then thinking probably she’s downstairs in the reading room, he finds her in the reading room a couple of times before. He heads to the reading room but found no one, he then starts to think. Where she might could be?

He heads to the kitchen to take a glass of water. As he leans on the fridge to think, he notices a paper on the counter top.

‘I’m going to my parent’s house, don’t look for me.’

Sehun frowns, why on earth would she be going to her parents’ house? Is something’s wrong? Why she didn’t tell him sooner? What actually happened?

He groans and then decided to take the notes with him tomorrow to school, Seongwoo might know something.

Or at least that’s what he thought.

“What?” Seongwoo asks him back when they were talking in the school’s tennis court, they just finished the PE class which is the tennis and Sehun approaches Seongwoo to talk about the disappearance of Ahyoung.

“She didn’t tell you anything?” Sehun asks him back and Seongwoo shakes his head, Sehun takes out the note that he found on the counter top. “Is this her handwriting?” Sehun asks and Seongwoo analyzes the handwriting. He keep silence for a while, “Yeah, it’s hers.” Seongwoo nods as he gives it back to Sehun.

“So she might be in her parent’s house after all?” Sehun asks, “Well, that’s what she said. But if she said not to look for her, then don’t. I wouldn’t do it, she might be thinking so let her be.” Seongwoo says as he picks up his bag, “Thanks,” Sehun nods and the other male leaves. It might feel like a weird relieve that she’s in her parents’ house not somewhere else but it still doesn’t tell him why does she leave?

Sehun doesn’t realize that Seongwoo stops in his track to look back at him, feeling sorry because he was told not to say a word to anyone until she says so. He wants to keep his promise with her, to respect her decision. Sehun doesn’t need to know yet, it’s not the time.

“Hey, what are you thinking?” Soomi approaches Sehun and the male just smiles as he put the notes back to his pocket.

“Nothing, let’s go.” he says and they leave the court together but Sehun is still thinking about Ahyoung, he still doesn’t understand why. Did he do something wrong? The ski trip isn’t the first trip he went to with his friends and Soomi so it couldn’t be that. Did he say anything wrong? They have a regular short conversation as usual, it can’t be that. What was it? He could only sighs as he opens the locker to put away his tennis rackets and return to the class.

“Kyungsoo’s cooking udon today, you’re coming?” Suho asks Sehun while they’re walking to the class together, “His house?” Sehun asks and the older male nods. “Soomi can join us, we’ll just ask her after this.” Suho pats his shoulder and Sehun nods along, “I’ll ask her,” he agrees as the bell rings, indicates that the next class is about to start.

 

 

 

“Where’s your family?” Chanyeol as soon as he enters Kyungsoo’s house, “Still in Macao,” Kyungsoo shrugs as he put the bowls down. He usually cook when his family isn’t home because he would have the kitchen for himself then.

“So you came back alone?” Jongin asks and the house owner nods, “I’m not skipping the dreaded Calculus test and doing it alone, not a chance.” Kyungsoo quips as he keeps cooking. “Do you need any help?” Jongdae asks and then Kyungsoo orders him to do something as the others make themselves comfortable in his living room.

“Sehun, what’s wrong?” Soomi asks as she plops to his side on the couch, Sehun turns to look at her. “What? Nothing,” he chuckles as he puts his phone away and then watches the television shows that Baekhyun turns on, “You’ve been distracted since this morning, what happens?” she asks again. When Sehun isn’t talking, he hold his arms and he smiles at her shortly, “Ahyoung’s gone,” he says and then she furrows her brows. “What do you mean by gone? You mean gone gone?” she asks back and Sehun shrugs.

“Honestly, I don’t know. I don’t even know why I’m thinking about her, I’m sorry.” he says and Soomi just nods, she looks at the television and then realizes that he’s been thinking about her since the ski trip. She realizes how distant he is since then, can’t really blame him but she can’t blame herself for the jealously she’s feeling. She is her boyfriend after all, she deserves to be jealous when he’s thinking about someone else. Although that someone else is his wife.

“Udon’s ready!” Jongdae announces and everyone heads to the dining room, “Don’t complain, I don’t see enough ingredient when already start cooking so just eat it.” Kyungsoo mutters and they all just laugh.

“Thanks Kyungsoo,” Soomi says as she takes a sip of the soup, “I think you shouldn’t go to Law school, cooking school would do better for you.” Baekhyun comments on his friend’s cooking. “Not planning on using it as my main job but yeah, not bad.” Kyungsoo replies as he joins them in the dining table.

“Hey, I don’t see Ahyoung at school today. Did anyone realize that?” Jongin suddenly blurts out and then everyone stops eating, “Now that you mention it, yeah….. I didn’t see her either,” Suho mutters. “Where is she? Sick? Skipping? Ah, you said she’s gone, right?” Chanyeol asks Sehun who sits right next to him, Sehun puts down his spoon as everyone looks at him. “Yeah…. she’s gone.” Sehun answers and everyone furrows their brows, “What do you mean by gone?” Kyungsoo asks although he usually doesn’t really give a crap about anyone else.

“When I got back after the ski trip, she was nowhere to be found. She simply left a note saying she’s going back to her parents’ house. Called her, went straight to the voice mail. Texted her, no reply.” Sehun explains and everyone starts thinking, “Well, maybe you marriage will be over soon. Isn’t that good?” Baekhyun says and then Sehun shrugs. “Yeah, but Seongwoo doesn’t know anything which is weird. He usually knows a lot more than I do, he told me she didn’t tell him about this.” Sehun chuckles.

“Just wait for a week, maybe she’s taking a break? We don’t know right?” Jongdae suggests and everyone nod their head, “Yeah, let’s hope so.” Sehun says and they all continue to eat.

 

 

 

Sehun tosses in his bed, it has been five days since Ahyoung goes missing. He still doesn’t understand why she’s gone, it’s not like their fight isn’t a usual routine. They have constant fight and battle of who-can-hurt-others the most every day, it’s not new so she couldn’t be hurt from that routine of theirs. He tries to call her cell but it always go straight to voice mail, weird because she would never go anywhere without her phone. He’s worried but he can’t just talk to their parents, his mother wouldn’t approve their relationship. They always pretend as if nothing happen and that they’re actually trying when they’re not. His mother always say that ‘how you treat others will show how you were raised, how you treat a girl will show how I taught you’ and sure Mrs. Oh never taught him to have this cold-war kind of relationship.

But then, Ahyoung has been a to Soomi who is his real girlfriend. So, it’s not his fault that they constantly have this fights and arguments, right?

“Argh, what is happening?” he mutters, he tries to forget that she’s left but every time he goes home, he would be reminded of her. No matter how stranger they are at home, they still live under the same roof and eat in the same dining table during breakfast and dinner. Now he has to make his own breakfast, locks the house by himself, coming home to an empty house. He doesn’t even feel like he has the excitement he used to have when he’s with Soomi. He just can’t get Ahyoung out of his mind and to his defense, he is just worried.

“You haven’t been able to sleep at night?”

Soomi asks during their usual date at the weekend, Sehun looks at her who sits right in front of him during their lunch. Soomi sighs but she still tries to smile, “You’re worried aren’t you?” she asks again and Sehun just let out a sigh. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t even be thinking about her.” Sehun apologizes but Soomi just shakes her head, “I mean, I understand. But you know how she’s been to us, I just….” Soomi looks down to her plate and then Sehun feels bad. He moves his hands to hold hers, he can see the insecurities in her expression. Now he makes his own girlfriend insecure and upset, he just can’t decide which right move is for him.

“I’m sorry, okay? Let’s just enjoy today without thinking about her,” Sehun smiles at Soomi and the girl just timidly nods her head, after that they continue their lunch before heading to a nearby ice cream fair. Soomi tries to distract him from thinking about Ahyoung during their date which makes Sehun feels guilty but then just tries his best to follow her lead. They spend their entire day looking around the fair as the girl loves ice cream so much.

Being with Soomi is entirely different than being with Ahyoung, His girlfriend likes to hold his hand, something that he finds cute but somehow slightly irritates him nowadays. Her laugh used to be contagious but these days, it sounds like a high pitched shriek that sometime he would wince. Her pleads sounds like a demand and her texts becoming way more regular, felt like a mandatory texting. He used to really love Soomi’s company, the girl is his paradise than being with Ahyoung. Her texts and calls used to be a solace.

Used to be.

He can’t believe he ever think about that.

Being with Ahyoung could be tiring, her constant sarcastic comments were irritating but then he realizes it is an entertainment. Their argument was annoying but then they would just agree with each other on taking a decision although she would constantly throw him glares. She would complain whenever he never could get the groceries to its place while placing them neatly in a short amount of time. She never asks for his help except when she’s really sick, something that he really appreciates her. She’s strong, she never cry or whine. Her honest reaction on everything could hurt some people but then he knows that’s how she express herself. She never filters her words, she doesn’t feel she need to and he’s okay with it actually. Their cold war isn’t a cold war after all, just a way to respect each other’s boundaries. Her texts when he’s outside were annoying and he told her many times that he doesn’t care where she goes, ironic how her disappearance could make him worries for a week straight.

He can’t be in love with her, right?

It’s just a housemate looking after his other housemate.

.

 


 

“Why?”

Soomi asks while they’re sitting in a bench on the school’s rooftop garden, Sehun sighs. He never thought he would say the word to her, the girl who’s been with him these whole time.

“I’m sorry, I just can’t keep you in this relationship. You deserves better, Soomi.” Sehun apologizes but the girl is already sobbing, he wants to hug her and console her but he knows it won’t work because he’s the one who makes her cry.

“But you’re the one for me, don’t you feel the same?” she asks through her sobs, holding back some tears but then those tears just falling off.

“I did, I honestly still want to feel the same way I felt when I first ask you out. But this problem, this….. situation, I realize that I need some time off to think about how I really feel.” Sehun closes his eyes, can’t barely stare at her.

“It’s Ahyoung isn’t it?” the girl asks during the silence, Sehun doesn’t answer because honestly he doesn’t know too. He just feels he’s off and he needs to take a break to think about his feelings, what they are, how they’re going to move forward. It’s been almost two weeks, people actually began to wondering where the straight A’s queenka is. Some asked him, some created a gossip between themselves.

“I can’t abandon you, you deserves better than me. Maybe if we take this time off and I would still be the same, you still feel the same with me. We could work it out again. I need to think and you need to clear your head, Soomi.” Sehun says and Soomi just keeps silence.

“I’m so sorry, I really am.” Sehun says as the bell rings, signing that everyone should go back to class. He takes a look at her for one last time and decides to leave her, she needs to think and process everything.

I’m so sorry Soomi.

 

 


 

“What the hell did you do to Soomi?!”

Jongin yells at Sehun when they just talk after their class, students began to surrounding them. “Jongin, stop. People are watching,” Suho says but the taller male shrugs off his restrain and goes at Sehun, “Why Sehun? WHY?” Jongin asks but Sehun just stares at him. “I need some time off, let me go Jongin.” Sehun tries to break free from Jongin’s grip but the latter just throws him to the floor before leaving to where Soomi is. Jongin leaves with Baekhyun and Chanyeol, Jongdae helps Sehun to stand up.

“I understand why you did this, but are you sure?” Kyungsoo asks as Sehun pats off his pants, people starts to whispering with one another as they dispersing. “That’s why I did this, I need to find out.” Sehun replies while looking towards where his other friends are heading. “Let’s just eat,” Jongdae suggest and they all go to the cafeteria for the break.

“What was that?” Seongwoo looks from afar as he approaches Woori who just locks her locker, “I heard Sehun broke up with Soomi and Jongin throws him to the floor,” she shrugs and her boyfriend furrows his brows. “He broke up with her? Like, broke up?” he makes sure he’s not hearing things, Woori nods as they walk to the cafeteria together.

Seongwoo looks at Sehun who sits with Jongdae, Kyungsoo, and Suho. Guess the other three look after Soomi who might be sobbing somewhere else, clearly not okay with the sudden break up. But Seongwoo also realizes how distant and off Sehun is all these days, Ahyoung’s disappearance actually does something to the boy. As much as he hates him for not helping her, he can’t really hate him because Sehun doesn’t know anything.

“You haven’t heard anything from her?” Woori carefully asks and Seongwoo shakes his head, “It shouldn’t take long, she said. I don’t know what happen, I just hope she makes it.” he says and Woori clearly can see the worry in his expression. “I’m sure she is, she’s Kim Ahyoung after all.” Woori tries to calm her boyfriend and he smiles at her, “Yeah, you’re right.” he says. Suddenly his phone rings and he picks it up as they move along the line to get their food.

“Hello,”

Is this Mr. Ong Seongwoo?” he can hears a female in the other line, he furrows his brows.

“Speaking, who is this?”

I’m from Severance Private Hospital, we contact you because you are the emergency contact of Ms. Kim Ahyoung. Is that right?” the woman in the other line confirms.

“Yes, I am.” Seongwoo’s voice starts to waver, afraid about what he might hear next.

We need you to come here, sir. Ms. Ahyoung is in critical condition,

Seongwoo swears he thought his world collapsed when he hears the sentence, “W-what? What happen?” he asks back. Woori looks concern with his tone, he never stammers. “We need you here as soon as possible, sir.” Seongwoo quickly ends the call and then grabs Woori’s hand before she could take the tray.

“Seongwoo? What happen?” she asks him as she just follow him walking in fast pace as if someone is hunting them down, “Seongwoo, talk to me.” Woori says and he looks at her as they reach the parking lot.

“Ahyoung is in the hospital, they said she’s in critical condition.”

 

 


 

“Auntie Hong!”

A lady in her fifties stands up as soon as she sees Seongwoo running towards her, “Where is she?” he asks and she points at the trauma center. After speeding through the traffic, Seongwoo manages to get to the hospital in ten minutes and quickly goes to the emergency room with Woori.

“What happened?” he asks and the lady can’t say anything but cries, “I’m so sorry I couldn’t protect her, none of us could.” the lady says. Seongwoo looks at Ahyoung who’s lying unconscious on the bed with doctors all around her, “Are you Mr. Ong Seongwoo?” two doctors who just attend Ahyoung approach him and he nods.

“We need you here to sign the surgery consent form. The emergency contact is usually the POA holder so we asked you to come. We need to operate Ms. Ahyoung quickly. The bleeding from her stomach ulcer is worsening, we need to stop the bleeding or she might be in more danger.” the slightly older doctor says and Seongwoo looks at the form that they handed to him.

“I can’t…. I can’t sign this,” Seongwoo shakes his head, much to the doctors’ and Auntie Hong’s surprise. "You're not the POA holder?” the doctor asks and Seongwoo shakes his head, “Nope. She’s married, her husband have the authority to sign this.” Seongwoo hands back the document. The doctors look taken aback by the statement, they never thought someone as young as Ahyoung would be married. “Can you get her husband here as soon as possible? We need this signed as soon as possible,” the other doctor asks and Seongwoo nods.

“I’ll bring him here,” he says and the doctors go back to treat Ahyoung, there’s a lot of wound on her. Seongwoo holds his tears and then looks back to both Woori and Auntie Hong.

“I need to get him here, you stay here with Auntie Hong. Tell me if anything happen, okay?” he asks Woori who nods and he quickly runs back to his car.

He never thought that he would need to do this, it never cross his mind that the situation will get worse. He thought she’ll be okay, he thought she’ll be free after all of these. But sometimes, life has its own plan.

In ten minutes, he’s back at school. Walking fast to the cafeteria, he tries to locate Sehun. The break is an hour long break so everyone still at the cafeteria. He walks up to Sehun’s table, “Can we….. talk?” Seongwoo tries to catch his breath and Sehun nods. Jongdae and Kyungsoo makes a place for him so he sits in the middle.

“What’s wrong?” Jongdae asks, Seongwoo takes a deep breath and then look at Sehun. “I need you to come with me to the hospital now, they need your sign for the surgery consent form.” Seongwoo says and Sehun tilts his head, “My sign? What surgery consent form?” he asks the male back.

“Ahyoung is in the hospital now, Sehun. She’s in critical condition and she…. Just come with me, will you? I’ll explain everything on the way,” Seongwoo pleads, Suho and the others look at Sehun.

“What?”

“We’ll come with you,” Suho says as they quickly stand up. As the five leave the cafeteria, they walk past Soomi, Jongin, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol. They don’t exchange any words but they are clearly confused why Sehun is walking out with Seongwoo.

“Where are they going?” Chanyeol mutters.

 

 


 

“The day she’s gone,”

Jongdae starts during the silence on the way to the hospital, “She was supposed to leave the country, right?” Jongdae asks Seongwoo who’s driving. He looks at Jongdae from the rear mirror, “How did you know?” he asks back.

“I… I’ve seen how her parents treat her, accidentally. She told me the day when we were leaving for the ski trip,” Jongdae mutters, Seongwoo nods. “She was leaving for London, she asked me to keep it a secret from anyone until she’s safe. Until she’s arrived safely in London, so I decided to act as if I know nothing. Just like what Jongdae did,” Seongwoo explains.

“But…. Why?” Sehun asks and Seongwoo makes a turn before entering the hospital’s parking lot, “You’ll see,” Seongwoo says and they all quickly get off from the car.

“This is her husband,” Seongwoo says to the doctors who are talking with Auntie Hong and Woori, “Please sign this, we need to operate Ms. Ahyoung quickly before the bleeding harms her.” Sehun quickly takes the document and signs it in hastily. “Thank you,” the doctors say and the leave, they all get a glimpse of Ahyoung’s condition.

Sehun gasps, he never thought he would see her in this state. Bruises and cuts all around her body, she looks severely abused.

“Doctor,” Sehun calls out and one of the doctor looks back, “Please save her, save my wife.” he pleads and the doctor nods as he walks away.

“Is that…” Suho asks and Jongdae nods, they could only look at Ahyoung being carried away. Hoping and praying are all they have now.

“You must be Sehun,” Auntie Hong looks at Sehun who nods, the lady smiles and then holds his hands. “Thank you, thank you for keeping her safe for the past year.” she thanks him but Sehun couldn’t say anything, he doesn’t understand how he’s been keeping her safe. Seongwoo then suggests that they should be waiting in the surgery waiting room for anything on Ahyoung.

“What do you mean keeping her safe?” Sehun asks the lady, Auntie Hong instantly looks at Seongwoo who then shakes his head.

“Ahyoung and her parents….. They never have a good relationship, good by means loving and caring just like how any decent family is.” Auntie Hong starts explaining, Sehun and the others listen closely while Seongwoo just sighs with Woori calming him down.

“I’m one of the maids in her parents’ house, I’ve been with the Kim Family since she was a baby. I watch her, seen how she’s raised, how she treated by her own parents.” she looks really upset and Sehun could only guess before she continues her story, “The abuse became more severe as she grew older, none of us maids know why. All of these hospital trips started since she was nine, the age when she should be playing and worrying about nothing at all. Her parents rarely at home, she would wait for them until they got back only to fell asleep and then we moved her to her own bedrooms. As a very not present parents, they demand a lot from her. When she was nine, she starts know about all these games and gadgets, her grades slipping and she ranked fourth. They really beat her out of it, saying words that parents would never say to their child, ever. That was the first time we ever see that, how they lash out at her, discredit all of her achievement just because of a slipping rank.” Auntie Hong shakes her head in disbelief, still reliving the memories she had on the event.

“They would always go on a trip overseas after beating her like crazy, crazy by means really really severe. Two weeks the least, could close up to three months. They just left her, those are the times I really want to stick up for her. The whole household want to, but then we know we’ll lose our job and we won’t be able to look after her if it happened. That’s why we could only observe her, watch her, look after her by being close with her. Their relationship is just another prove that not everyone could be a parents, children didn’t get to choose their parents or whether they want to be born or not.” the lady smiles sadly, she really loves Ahyoung like her own child.

“When she told us that she’s getting married, she was really happy. Saying that her future husband is really handsome and kind, I can see that.” Auntie Hong looks at Sehun who just looks down, remembered how he threw a whole tantrum at his parents for arranging the marriage. He left his house to cry on Jongdae’s house, to blame everything on his parents and vow to never go along with their plan. He didn’t know that Ahyoung actually really love this marriage.

“Marrying you and moving to a new house is a big present for her, she said it would be heaven and none of us should ever get worry about her anymore. She doesn’t have to meet her parents every day, the abuses would eventually decrease, if not gone. That’s why we are really shocked to see her two weeks ago, her father brought her in and locks her in her own bedroom. We didn’t know how bad it was, turns out it was really bad.” Auntie Hong closes her eyes, still remember how Ahyoung was literally dragged upstairs by her father. The girl cried, pleading for some mercy to her parents. But they didn’t even flinch.

“They would spend hours in her room, forbidding anyone to go upstairs. Usually we would sneak to her room, give her foods and drinks because her parents never gave her when they’re abusing her. There are times when they didn’t give her anything for three days straight. But this time, they never leave the house. We never got the chance to see her, we’re not brave enough. Two guards placed in front of her room, no one could ever go upstairs. That’s why we were too late when we found her, if we….. if we got the chance to see her…” she sobs and Seongwoo who sits right next to her tries to calm her down, “it’s not your fault Auntie, it’s okay. She’ll be okay, she has to.” he says while rubbing her back to calm her down.

“When her parents leave for Switzerland this morning, we knew the abuse is over. The guards has left, the first thing that we do after they left is go upstairs to her room and check her. We didn’t know that it was bad, we thought she’s okay because it’s different this time.” she continues, Seongwoo frowns. “What do you mean by different?” he asks, “Usually we would hear her screams or cries even at nights, her bedroom is never soundproofed. It’s like a reminder for all of us who work in the house that they could do that to anyone even their own daughter. But this time, we never hear anything, not even a sound. So we thought she’s okay, she’s….. None of us could feel her pulse when we get there…..” Auntie Hong cries again and everyone try to calm her down, Seongwoo is patting her back but then thinking for the reason how Ahyoung didn’t make a sound at all.

“I thought her emergency contact would be you, her husband. I guess she never change it,” she adds after calming down a little bit. “She wants to keep you out of it, even I finding it out was an accident. The bruises in her arms aren’t normal, I knew that. I confronted her and she finally confessed to me, after months of trying. Since then, I understand what happen to her. Why she’s acting that way, why she hates being weak.” Seongwoo explains while looking at Sehun.

“I’m sorry, I should have known….” Sehun mutters but Auntie Hong just shakes her head with a smile, “It’s not your fault, you know how persistent she is when she’s determined to do something. She’s determined to not let you know, she’d do it seriously.” Sehun just smiles a little bit.

“We found her unconscious, bleeding on the floor. None of us, the maids, could feel her pulse. We quickly call the hospital, knowing we couldn’t just summon the doctor home, this time it’s serous. She was lying on the floor while holding onto this,” she reached over her jacket’s pocket and gives Sehun a crumpled photo. He furrows his brows while unfolding the photo, he gasps when he realizes what photo it is.

“Your wedding picture,” Suho mutters as he also looks at the photo too, Jongdae and Kyungsoo couldn’t feel worse than this.  They realizes how she really treasure her relationship with Sehun, how precious it is to her and know they feel bad on badmouthing her every time she did something at school.

“Thank you,” Sehun says to Auntie Hong and she just nods with a smile.

“I must go now, informs the other on how her condition. You guys stay here and update me, we need to do a lot of cleaning at her bedroom and rearrange everything. Preparing if her parents come home early,” Auntie Hong stands up, “Do you need a ride?” Seongwoo asks and she shakes her head. “You stay here, I’ll just take the bus.” she assures him she’ll be okay and the bids goodbye to the others before leaving while wiping her tears.

Everyone look at her as she goes away, Sehun looks back at the photo in his hand. Now he realizes how an he has been, not even try to work on the marriage. Although Ahyoung never really trying, but she doesn’t even date anyone else. While he keep persistent on keeping his relationship with Soomi which unfortunately ended. He doesn’t want to lose her, he needs to talk to her and explain everything. To say how he really feels to her, how stupid he’s been for realizing it too late. It’s been almost two years and he blames himself for not seeing all the signs.

“She really cares about you, protecting you at all cost. Not telling you all of these might be the best thing she did, keeping you out of the loop. She’s scared that you might get hurt if you know, knowing you nature of solving everything by your own.” Seongwoo sighs, “I asked her to change her emergency contact to you, because no matter how you deny it, you are her husband after all. Her husband is the only legal person who could sign for all the forms for her medical decisions. She actually wanted to make me as a POA holder but I told her, if anything goes sideways then you, out of all people, should know. No matter how reluctant she is to tell you, this day would come and I’ve prepared. To explain everything to you in the simplest way although she wished for none of you know except me and Woori. If things go worse like this, you should know. You have the right to know,” Seongwoo adds with a bitter smile. He hoped that this day would never come, that he won’t need to explain it to Sehun. But he can’t evade the inevitable, no one could.

“I’ve been friends with her for years, trying to understand what really happens with her. What’s really happening inside her mind, keeping her stay sane and stable. Becoming her mental support for years, I stood up for her during all these years when no one want or could because I know her, the Ahyoung you see every day at school is not the real Ahyoung. it’s just that she built a thick wall that was so tall that no one couldn’t enter her, it took me almost three years to finally understand everything, putting pieces by pieces.” Seongwoo chuckles, then everyone go silent. No one really say anything because no one could really know what to say to console each other, what to say while processing this situation.

 

 

 

It’s been almost four hours when they finally stop operating, a team of doctors come out of the surgery room.

“How is she?” Sehun asks and the lead doctor steps forwards, “We have some good news and bad news. First off, we managed to stop the internal bleeding which caused by the stomach ulcer, we believe the ulcer has been going on for years so we closed the holes in her stomach wall. We also managed to close up her wounds which some are deep cuts. She’s currently stable but not really out of the red yet.” the doctor explain.

“And the bad news?” Woori asks, preparing for the worse to come. The lead doctor looks at his side and a female doctor steps forward.

“We discovered that she suffered an intracerebral hematoma or a contusion. The bleeding is not severe but it is bad enough and will clot, eventually creating an intraparenchymal hemorrhage. If it happens then we should perform a decompressive cranietomy on her, meaning opening up her skull to let the swelling and avoid intracranial pressure that will be dangerous for her.” she explains and Sehun looks extremely defeated. He didn’t expect it to be this worse.

“Also, we detect a minimum activity of her brain. We think it’s because of the contusion, which means we wouldn’t know when she’ll wake up. Maybe in three days, maybe a week, a month. We don’t know for sure yet.” another doctor explains the situation to them and Suho has to hold Sehun to prevent him from falling. “Can we see her?” Seongwoo asks after wiping down his tears, “Yes, of course.” the lead doctor replies. They all thank the doctors before go to Ahyoung’s room.

Woori covers to hold her gasp, everyone still can’t get over how weak Ahyoung looks. Her head is wrapped with bandage, there are IVs and tubes everywhere and she is given an oxygen mask. The only sound they could hear is the oxygen and heart monitor running. Sehun walks close to the girl he used to call nuisance. The wounds all over her body, the cuts, no one could believe what they’re seeing. 

“Why….” Sehun murmurs, he holds her right hand. Her hand is filled with bruises and cuts, he doesn’t know how her parents did this to her. All he know is that he can’t protect her.

 

 

 

Sehun comes back home after Seongwoo asks him to wash up first, none of them goes back to the school after they go to see Ahyoung. Suho and Kyungsoo volunteer to get their bags and take their cars from the school’s parking lot so if anyone needs to go somewhere, it won’t be a problem because they all went to the hospital with Seongwoo’s car. Sehun walks upstairs, realizing how empty the house is without Ahyoung. The words he used to throw at her during his frustration just got back at him, she can’t say anything but he feels like she just stabbed him. He can’t believe how bad the abuse is and how blind he is because he clearly seen the cold stares her parents towards her. How they never really acknowledge her presence, not even call her ‘dear’ or ‘honey’ like how his mom likes to call him (sometimes only to though). How they never have a physical contact at all, Mrs. Oh would hug Ahyoung and pampers her with kisses when they meet. Meanwhile Mrs. Kim slightly smile at her before returning to a conversation she has with his mom.

What a cold world she’s been all these times.

And he didn’t see it.

Why?

He looks at his hand who still holds the photo that Auntie Hong took from Ahyoung’s grip. Their happy expression was only a mask, at least for him. But he realizes how happy she really is. It must be a big relieve for her knowing she doesn’t have to face her parents every day anymore. To be free from the years of abuses only to be with him, the person who doesn’t actually realize how everything means for her. Only to be hurt in a different way, still abused.

Sehun walks past her bedroom then stops before comes back and enters her bedroom. The last time he was here is to take care of her, having a real conversation with her. His eyes are getting watery and he closes it, to let it running down his cheeks. He wants to say sorry, to make up for everything he did and didn’t, to make her feel worthy, to take care of her. All these times, she spent years taking care of others’ feelings, keep her feelings hidden away because she’s afraid that someone might use it against her just like what her parents did.

He takes a look at the The Starry Night left behind on her wall, he realizes there’s a sentence right under the painting.

I wish they would just take me as I am. Vincent van Gogh

A sentence yet he could feel the sincerity in this sentence, a sentence she might wish to say towards her parents. To just love her the way she is, to be just her parents. A little part of him somehow wishes it goes towards him, that she wants to be loved by him. That she actually feel something in this marriage. Her gratitude on the wedding news might merely because she could leave her house but there’s a part of him that wished she actually has a feeling for him, something that would ever made him even worse for all the things he done to her but then it will give him a chance, a slight hope that she’ll open up to him, that he will be able to protect her this time.

 

 


 

“Still nothing?”

Sehun simply shakes his head, it’s been almost four days since Ahyoung was out from the surgery. The doctors are right, she hasn’t wake up since then. He misses the colors on her face. He’s been staying on the hospital after school since then, Auntie Hong would be taking care of her while he’s at school. Seongwoo and the others also come together with him, hoping there might be any improvement. The doctors say that they’ll decided whether they would have to perform a surgery for her brain on her or not within a week after her surgery as they’re currently monitoring her condition.

“Do you think she’ll wake up soon?” Jongdae asks Sehun who just smiles while looking at the sleeping girl.

“She has to, there’s a lot that I need to say. Things I haven’t done for her,” he mumbles as he caress her cheek.

Seongwoo smiles, “Thank you, I thought you’d tell me to go away when I came to look for your sign.” he confesses but Sehun just chuckles. “I always told her to go away, that she won’t matter to me at all. Told her to stop texting me where she’s going because I don’t care. Funny how her disappearance made me crazy,” Sehun says.

“The last words that she said to me was to enjoy my ski trip, I instantly knew it was weird for her to say that to me. Knowing well she never told me to enjoy whenever Soomi comes along. I knew it was weird but I didn’t do anything, I didn’t say anything.” Sehun regrets, Seongwoo feels bad but he’s kind of have the same regret as him so he knows well how his regret is.

“She’ll come back, she won’t easily give up. I won’t let her,” Seongwoo pats his back.

“Foods coming,” Kyungsoo and Woori just come back from buying the dinner for them, they would stay until past dinner. Sehun always sleep in the hospital, he never want to let her out of his sight. By the time he’s going to school, Auntie Hong and another maid would come to accompany Ahyoung. Hoping they’ll hear soon enough from the doctors or even better, she’s waking up.

“I have a group works for tomorrow, can you watch her for me?” Sehun asks Seongwoo, “Ah, sorry. I have a council meeting, but Woori can do it. Right?” Seongwoo asks his girlfriend who nods.

“Don’t worry, I’ll keep her safe with me.” Woori assures and Sehun thanks her.

“By the way, Chanyeol came up to me this morning.” Kyungsoo says and everyone looks at him while eating, “He asked me why you are always disappearing right after your class,” Kyungsoo continues. “And?” Sehun asks for the end of story that Kyungoo’s clearly holds, “I simply said I don’t know,” he shrugs and somehow Sehun feel relieved.

“But we can’t hid this forever, they’ll know sooner or later.” Jongdae says while looking at Ahyoung, Seongwoo and Suho nods.

“Yeah, but they don’t need to know now. Yet,”

Sehun says, he’s not ready to explain it to them because then he’ll have to explain it to Soomi too. He doesn’t know whether she has forgiven him or not. He always avoids her, trying to finish all the courses early to get back to Ahyoung. Looking forward for every chance he got to see her again although she might won’t realize that he’s been there the whole time.

A knock is heard and everyone stands up, a doctor comes in and they all bow at her. “We have the result, the CT scans and tests result have come back.” she says and everyone holds their breath, hoping for the best.

“Fortunately the blood that clots in her brain isn’t too severe so she won’t need a surgery for it. Good news, yes?” she says and Sehun smiles. “Thank you doctor, thank you.” he says and the doctor smiles back. “Alright then, excuse me.” she says before leaving the room.

Another knock is heard and a male doctor comes in, “Hello, I’m Doctor Kang Haneul. Nice to meet you,” the male doctor introduce himself. They all bow to each other, “I’ve seen you before,” Sehun says and the doctor smiles. “You were at school, the day she was sick.” Sehun tries to guess again and the doctor nods. “I’m a family doctor to her family, I asked your school’s infirmary doctor to call me whenever Ahyoung comes to the infirmary. She never did that one time,” the doctor shrugs while looking at Ahyoung on the bed.

“You’re her family’s doctor?” Sehun asks again and the male in white nods, “The maids, especially Auntie Hong, would call me whenever she got those bruises. I treat her, close up all the wounds, make sure she’s okay.” Dr. Kang replies. “It should be a doctor-patient confidentiality, I know, but promise me this would be the last time.” the doctor approaches Sehun.

“She might won’t survive another battle,” the doctor says and they all look at Ahyoung.

 

 


 

“Sehun,”

Baekhyun calls out after their history class the week after that, Sehun was walking fast but then stopped by Chanyeol who got all the benefits for being giant.

“Sehun, we need to talk.” Soomi says while approaching him with Jongin and Baekhyun, Sehun sighs.

“Fine,” he says and then they walk to the east wing garden of the school, “Look, I’m sorry for what I did to you, okay? I can’t let you to be in this estranged relationship, I can’t hold you with me when I don’t have the feelings anymore. I’m sorry okay?” Sehun apologizes but the other side seems surprised as if they didn’t expect him to apologize.

“Yeah… I mean, you’re a jerk for doing it but still, I would hate you more if you still keep Soomi in the relationship.” Jongin admits that Sehun is some kind of right.

“So…. What we need to talk about it….. Less about me, more about you.” Soomi calmly says and Sehun furrows his brows, “Me? What’s wrong with me?” Sehun asks.

“I know we’ve been distance with you for the past week but that’s because we need to calm Soomi down, makes her understand the same way we did. Well, she’s calmed down now. Then we realize that you always avoid anything after school, reluctant to prolong your stay at school even managed to finish the whole business project by yourself last week.” Chanyeol spits out the facts and Sehun keeps silent.

“Does this have anything to do with you, Suho, Kyungsoo, and Jongdae being around Woori and Seongwoo a lot more these days?” Baekhyun raises his brows at the taller male, Sehun looks at his watch.

“Fine, follow me. I’ll explain everything, just follow me.” Sehun says and then he walks to the parking lot.

Baekhyun and the others look dumbfounded but then just follow him to the parking lot. They decided to take Chanyeol’s car and then follow Sehun’s car.

“Why are we going to the hospital?” Jongin wonders as they’re approaching the Severance Private Hospital, “I don’t think any of them is sick though, they’re all present at school.” Chanyeol mutters as he looks for a parking space.

“Except one person,” Soomi says and they all realize something, “Dear lord,” Baekhyun murmurs. After Chanyeol finally parks his car, they all get off the car and then follow Sehun who has been waiting near the lobby entrance.

“I thought you guys don’t need to know, yet. That’s why I don’t say anything, no one knows except me, Suho, Kyungsoo, Jongdae, Woori, and Seongwoo.” Sehun says as he presses number twelve, “But then, you guys might really need to know. Just promise me to not say anything to anyone.” Sehun looks at them and they all nod.

“Is she okay?” Soomi asks and Sehun just smiles, the elevator stops at the 12th floor. They all get off from the elevator and then go to one of the room on the right side of the nurse station. A couple nurse smiles at Sehun, he’s been there for almost two week so everyone recognize him.

Sehun stops by the door with number seven on it, he grips the door handle and then opens the door. Woori is reading a book when Sehun enters with the others, she looks surprised as she stands up.

“I’m sorry, I just think they need to know now.” Sehun apologizes and then Woori shakes her head with a smile as she puts away her book, “It’s your call, your decision.” she responds. “Seongwoo’s outside, looking for foods. He’ll be back soon,” Woori adds and then Sehun nods.

“How…..” Baekhyun still can’t apprehend what he’s looking at, the Ahyoung he knows and recognize isn’t the Ahyoung that he’s looking at now. Chanyeol just stands there while Jongin pats Soomi’s shoulder who can’t hide her shock.

“When I said that she left three weeks ago, she was actually abused by her parents in their house. A couple maids found her bleeding, unconscious on her bedroom floor a week later. Left by her parents, might bleed to death the doctors’ said. When Seongwoo drags me and the others from the cafeteria two weeks ago, he asks me to come and signs her surgery consent form. Being over eighteen and married, I am the only one with the authority to do so. The doctors said the bleeding was too severe, the wounds and abuse are also severe. They don’t know when she will wakes up, we just get to pray and hope for now.” Sehun summarizes everything for the four.

“Are you okay?” Baekhyun asks as he taps the younger male’s shoulder, Sehun exhales. “It’s just…. I can’t protect her, I didn’t see it. I could lose her, Baek.” Sehun replies. The regrets are eating him up.

“I’m so sorry,” Soomi feels sorry for him, it must be hard to hide all of these while maintain his head on school. But then she takes half of his friends to console her, somehow she feels really bad. Sehun just smiles at her, “Her parents are overseas, I try to hide her as long as I can. Hide her from them,” Sehun adds,

“I’m sure she’ll be okay, she’s Ahyoung after all.” Jongin pats his shoulder, tries to cheer him up. “The maids said it’s been going on for years, they said that her marriage with me is something she actually treasures.” Sehun continues, “Because she’ll don’t have to meet her parents more frequently?” Chanyeol asks and Sehun nods.

“And after all she’s been through, we still despised her.” Baekhyun mutters, feels bad for everything she said about Ahyoung or how he treated her in the past.

“It’s alright, you’re all forgiven after all.” Seongwoo comes in, surprisingly not shocked seeing them with Sehun. He takes out a couple snacks from his bag, “Ahyoung never blame anyone for what they did or said to her, she’s just scared.” He continues and the four people still confused. “Scared that people might expose her weakness and turn it against her.” Sehun explains while looking at Ahyoung.

 

 

 

It’s supposed to be his birthday, April 12th. Sehun just has a student council meeting, Woori is replacing him to take care of Ahyoung. When he opens the door to her room, he sees balloons and flowers.

“What is this?” Sehun asks Woori who just finished putting a vase of baby’s breath and white daisies right beside Ahyoung’s bed.

“It’s her birthday,” Woori smiles excitedly as if she’s the birthday girl. “What….?” he looks at the date on his phone.

“Yes, you have the same birthday as her.” Woori answers his unasked question, Seongwoo comes out of the bathroom and then realizes Sehun is already arrived. He takes something from his bag and then goes to Sehun.

“Happy birthday, she told me to give it to you after she contacts me that she’s safe in London. We know it never happens,” Seongwoo looks at Ahyoung on the bed as he hands a brown envelope to Sehun.

“What is this?” Sehun asks and Seongwoo shakes his head, “I don’t know, she asks me not to open it. I never did,” Seongwoo shrugs.

-A month ago-

“Hey, can I ask you something?” Ahyoung taps Seongwoo’s shoulder when he just sits on his seat, he furrows his brows in amusement. “You never ask before, what is it?” he teases her but she just rolls he eyes while signing him to talk with her at the back of the class. Seongwoo furrows his brows as he stands up from his seat and then they talk at the back of the class near the window.

“I’m leaving,” AHyoung suddenly says after letting out a big sigh, Seongwoo doesn’t say anything because he doesn’t know what to say. He stands still as if he just sees a ghost.

“W-what do you mean….?” he asks her and she gives him a brown envelope, “Don’t open it. You can give it to Sehun after I contact you, after I’m safely arrived in London.” she says and Seongwoo just looking at the envelope that he’s holding.

“Why? Why are you leaving? This is not what we talked about,” Seongwoo panics, he doesn’t want to lose his best friend who he already treats as a sister. He wants to protect her. Ahyoung chuckles, “I can’t do this anymore, I’m tired. Maybe it’s time for me to stop,” Ahyoung says.

“I can’t be with someone who don’t love me even if I love him, his friends hate me. He hates me, even I hate myself.” Ahyoung bitterly laughs, the kind of laugh that Seongwoo hears every time she’s commenting someone else.

“I don’t know how much I can hold everything, I won’t even last until graduation.” Ahyoung shakes her head, “Why London?” Seongwoo asks. “I have to go as far as I can from here, London might be the best place for now. My parents will kill me if they know,” Ahyoung explains. Seongwoo just nods.

“Are you sure?” he asks, Ahyoung keeps silent. “It’s suffocating,” she simply says. Seongwoo holds the envelope close to his body, “Why? Why do you have to do this?” the boy wants to make sure and Ahyoung lets out a chuckle, “You do know why, you’ll help me with it right?” she asks and he just nods.

“Thank you, for everything. I mean it,” Ahyoung whispers to avoid anyone hearing their conversation, Seongwoo looks at her and she smiles.

He never know it would be the last smile he sees from her.

-Present-

Sehun furrows his brows, he just know it won’t be something pleasant if she left it to Seongwoo before she’s leaving the country. He takes out a piece of paper and somehow recognizes it because he has his own piece of paper, his truce card that he wants to flip whenever Ahyoung making everything difficult. His freedom card.

PETITION FOR DIVORCE

김  Kim

 Ah

영  Young

Ahyoung’s signature has already placed on it with her stamp on it, Sehun looks at the owner on the bed.  “Why….” he can’t help but wondering why she would do this.

Seongwoo looks over and gasps, “She must really loves you,” he says. Sehun looks back at him, “If she’s willing to do this, she’d risk anything for you. Divorcing you means she’ll be back to her parents’ house, coming back to the people she’s most afraid of.” Seongwoo looks at the sleeping Ahyoung. Sehun puts the paper back to the envelope, “She never told me that we share the same birthday.” he puts away the envelope as he doesn’t think it’s important.

“She wants to surprise you, thinking that maybe sharing her birthday last year together with you would change your relationship. I think we all know what happen,” Seongwoo adds, “She wanted to celebrate it together last year. But then I and Woori saw her in a minimarket, celebrating her birthday alone.” Seongwoo continues.

“She never says anything,” Sehun says and Seongwoo just smiles, “She never says anything that upsets her to others, she doesn’t even talk about it with me and I didn’t ask. I don’t need to,” Seongwoo says again.

“You shouldn’t do all of these alone,” Sehun whispers to Ahyoung, hoping she might hears it. Seongwoo looks at that and signs to Woori that they should leave, giving them some privacy.

“I won’t let you carry that kind of burden again, ever. So please just wakes up, we’ll work it out. Let me protect you, we’ll do it together okay? Just come back to me,”

He whispers but then it turns into cry, Sehun just can’t hold it any longer. He’s sorry and he wants it to Ahyoung personally, to hear her scoffs and chuckles every time he says something to her.

“Happy birthday, Ahyoung.”

 

 

 

Ahyoung swears she can feel her body breaks, she doesn’t remember much except hearing Auntie Hong’s voice along with several other maids screaming ‘Ahyoung wake up!’ and ‘Hold on!’ with fuzzy images. She can’t recall much but she does know she’s in the hospital. She can hears the heart monitor, the oxygen, the distant alarm sounds in the hospital.

Bright light goes through the blinds, she furrows her brows as she tries to open her eyes. She looks at her surrounding, Woori is sleeping on the couch with Seongwoo right beside her. Then he feels someone holding her hand. If Seongwoo is with Woori, who holds her hand?

Ahyoung tries to move her hand and the person slowly wakes up, she can’t believe what she’s seeing. Sehun opens his eyes completely and then realize what’s happening.

“Oh god!”

Seongwoo and Woori snaps open their eyes and then see that Ahyoung’s awake, “Ahyoung, can you hear me?” Sehun asks and she just stares at him. What is he doing here?

“Wait, wait, I’ll call the doctors.” Sehun quickly gets up from his seat, eagerly wanting to call the doctors and nurse quickly and not waiting for the buzzer to be responded.

“Thank God, you’re awake.” Woori smiles and Seongwoo can’t say anything but just wipes away his tears. “We’ll talk after this,” Seongwoo says because he’s sure Ahyoung has a lot to ask.

The team of doctors come and then check on Ahyoung, it’s been almost a month since she was finished out of the surgery. She waking up this late is already expected by the doctors, they need to make sure she’s okay and really awake.

Sehun calls everyone, telling them she’s awake. Jongdae and the others quickly arrive in a few minutes, they all waiting outside until the doctor is finished. After a couple minutes, the doctors finally leave the room.

“Ms. Ahyoung is fully awake, her condition is getting better. We’ll run some test for her tomorrow morning to check everything but her vitals are good. The thing is,” the lead doctor looks at his side, “Her physical condition might getting better but not her psychology.” another doctor continues. Everyone is confused, “I think it would be better if we let the psychiatrist meet her first,” he continues and Sehun looks at the other who just nod their head in agreement.

“Alright, thank you doctors.” Sehun thank them all and they all just nod while letting the psychiatrist enter Ahyoung’s room.

In her room, Ahyoung still staring at her wounds. Some are healed already but some cuts haven’t completely healed.

“Hello, I’m Dr. Seo, a psychiatrist.” a female doctor enters her room and Ahyoung pays attention to her, “How are you feeling, Ahyoung?” the doctor takes a seat right next to her bed. Ahyoung looks at the doctor for some times, “Fine, I guess….” she answers. The doctor smiles, she starts talking to her, trying to see her inside.

 

 


 

“Her condition is not that worse but not good either, she needs to trust someone that she wants to talk to. Maybe if one of you could talk to her, it would be better than talking to me. She didn’t trust me but she’ll trust you. But I can see the trauma is still there, lack of response when I asked her what actually happened. She needs to talk, she won’t to me but maybe to you.” Dr. Seo says and they all nod. She bids goodbye before leaving them.

“She’ll be mad at me for telling all of you, will she talk to me?” Seongwoo wonders, “She won’t talk to any of us, it’s either you or Sehun.” Suho quips.

“Sehun’s gone to the bathroom, you should go in first. We’ll tell him to join you,” Woori suggests and Seongwoo nods, he takes a deep breath and then opens the door. He sees Ahyoung already sitting straight with oxygen mask off of her.

“You have a lot to tell me, Ong Seongwoo.” Ahyoung says to him as if she’s reprimanding him, “Are you giving me a dressing down?” Seongwoo asks as he takes a seat right next to her bed. Ahyoung chuckles, “Of course I am, you did what you promised will never do. Telling him when it’s not time yet,” she continues, her voice is slightly weaker than she used to but being in a coma for some times could contribute to that.

“I have to, I had to. We talked about this, I can’t sign your medication consent forms. Sehun has the right to do that, he’s your husband.” Seongwoo rebuts her accusation for not respecting her decision, “And that’s why I told you that we need to make you my power in attorney holder. Whether you like it or not, you’re the only one who can’t help me. Not him, not anyone else.” Ahyoung says again, rising her tone.

“FOR GOD’S SAKE YOU WERE ALMOST DEAD! What do you want me to do?! I don’ want to lose you, you’re my best friend, my sister. I’m not trespassing the law for something as sensitive as your life, no.” Seongwoo starts to lose his calm, sometimes Ahyoung is the one who needs the dressing down.

Ahyoung looks at him, his words are not wrong. Sehun is the one who legally holds that power. Somehow touch by his words of not wanting to lose her.

“If something happens to you and I can’t tell him about it, I don’t know what to say if everything goes sideways. What happened weeks ago should have been avoided if you just talk, talk to him.” Seongwoo lays out the facts, he’s not wrong. If she just talk to Sehun what’s really happening in her life maybe nothing would have gone wrong like this.

“Then let me die, I don’t care.”

Ahyoung looks away and Seongwoo widens his eyes, “What?” he asks her back. Ahyoung doesn’t turn to look at him, “THEN LET ME DIE BECAUSE I’M TIRED OKAY?!” she yells and her voice starts to crack. She’s crying, Seongwoo knows. They both keep silent and then a voice breaks the silence, “Why…..” Sehun who probably just enters the room hears what she says. He stands there, completely lost at her words.

Ahyoung throws him a glare, her tears don’t stop falling but she doesn’t say anything instead refuse to look at neither both of them.

“Is that why you didn’t scream?” Seongwoo suddenly asks, “Auntie Hong told us….. and I know, but this time you didn’t do it because you’re…. tired?” Seongwoo continues. Ahyoung doesn’t say anything but it’s enough for him.

“What did they want from you?” Seongwoo asks again, Sehun approaches them still trying to figure out what Seongwoo is implying to. Meanwhile Ahyoung refuses to talk or answer his question.

“Ahyoung, hey Ahyoung….. AHYOUNG LISTEN TO ME!” Seongwoo grabs her shoulders, “What did they ask from you?” he carefully asks to her, spelling each words to her slowly. Ahyoung looks at Sehun who’s not standing right next to Seongwoo.

“Her name,” she pushes Seongwoo’s hands away and looks away, “Whose name?” now it’s Sehun’s turn to ask. Ahyoung sniffles, can’t bring herself to say it but it’s too late. The cats are out of the bag now, she must answer the questions.

“Soomi’s name. They want to know you girlfriend’s name. HAPPY NOW?!” Ahyoung yells at them, “Oh no…..” Seongwoo mutters as he falls back to his chair. “They knew?” he asks to Ahyoung who just nods briefly, “When?” Sehun asks too. Ahyoung calms herself down before answering the question.

“Six months ago..? You were out, with her. They came to the house, somehow they know that you’re out with a girl. They want to know her name, they threatened me. They told me I was weak, useless because I can’t stop you from going out with some other girl. They said things…. Things that parents don’t say to their child. I was demanded to say her name, but I can’t.” Ahyoung shakes her head, both males are confused.

“Why?” Seongwoo asks again, “Because I don’t know how to protect her if I said her name, they probably already know what she looks like. Knowing their pride, they can’t pay someone to find out about her. They always have to be the family. People who don’t care about others’ life because they have enough in their plate. But still, they want me to say her name, out loud. They’ve been harassing me for her name for months now,” Ahyoung scoffs.

“Why do you want to protect her?” Sehun asks again, Ahyoung looks at him and then rolls her eyes. “Because if they can do this to me, they could do anything to anyone. The only way for me to protect her is by not saying her name.” she answers and Sehun can feels his heart shattered in pieces. She’s actually trying to protect the person she supposes to hate the most.

“They want her name to come out of my mouth so they…..” Ahyoung stops talking, she can’t bring herself to say it.

“They can validate everything they have and to remind you that you’re not enough.” Seongwoo continues where she left off, already understand her parents’ personality for years now that he can find out what they’re thinking. Ahyoung nods, “But why? That should be the chance for you to be with Sehun, no offense but that’s how you wanted it be. For Soomi to be out of the picture,” Seongwoo asks again. Ahyoung sighs, “Because I can’t protect my own happiness, the least that I can do is by protecting the happiness of the person I care about. I’m not trying to make you pitying me, but I just can’t bring myself to do it.” Sehun stays silent, he still can’t understand how twisted everything are. He never thought she would say those words, Ahyoung isn’t a sweet talker so he knows she really means it.

“Funny, huh? Three years ago I did some DNA test, try to find out whether I’m their daughter or not. Everything that they did to me, they said to me, those aren’t words of parents. But the test came out positive, I am their daughter. Probably it was the first time someone cry over having a 99% match in a DNA test, crying because I’m helpless. If my parents can do that to me, what do others can’t do to me?” Ahyoung sarcastically ends her story.

“But you have me, you can tell me everything. You know that,” Seongwoo says and Ahyoung shakes her head, “You knowing about the abuse was an accident, I don’t want you to be tangled in my problem deeper than you should. And you…. You are supposed to not know anything at all, nothing.” Ahyoung looks at Sehun.

“But I’m your husband, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish.” Sehun recites their vow and Ahyoung rolls her eyes, “You didn’t care about the marriage, the vows aren’t real. You said the same things that my parents told me. That I am a nuisance, we’re nothing. Also, three people in a marriage is too crowded, I can’t do that to myself. Since you won’t pull the card, I pulled it for you.” Ahyoung mentions the divorce petition she signed for him.

“You didn’t tell me, you didn’t give me a chance. If you—“

“If I what? Told you everything from the beginning? How my parents abuse and used me? Told you that I am in love with you? Would you stop seeing Soomi then? Would you choose someone like me, someone with a dysfunctional family rather than a girl who has everything like her?”

Seongwoo realizes the conversation isn’t about dressing him down anymore, he stands up from his seat and walks away from Ahyoung and Sehun. To give the couple some space, the argument is beginning to be more personal. Meanwhile, Sehun keeps silent. He can’t answer that, he doesn’t know what to answer.

“See? You can’t even answer the what ifs, don’t say something that you won’t do. I know I never stand a chance against her from the beginning. No matter how hard I try, the only thing that’s going on in my mind is how you must be missing Soomi whenever you’re with me. You didn’t care at all, stop saying you care. That’s a bull, stop it.”

Ahyoung smirks but tears falling down her cheeks knowing that she’s defeated. Her walls are crumbling down and she can’t do anything about it. The person she actually loves is tearing it down, crushing her ego one at a time.

Seongwoo walks towards the door, trying to give them more space to talk about more private stuffs. As he closes the door behind him, the others look at him trying to get some more details. Seongwoo looks at Woori, she knows he needs some support whenever he looks at her. She nods her head and he sighs, “They’re talking about some private stuffs so they deserve some privacy. She’s just trying to protect you from her parents,” Seongwoo looks at Soomi who furrows her brows. “They knew?” Suho asks and Seongwoo nods.

“Oh God….”

 

 


 

Sehun is standing still, he’s still processing everything in his brain. He doesn’t know what to say to make her believe his words now. Yes he was really a jerk but that’s because he knows none of these happening to her. She didn’t say anything.

Ahyoung also doesn’t say anything but tears still streaming down her cheeks. She’s spent the whole week crying herself to sleep, hoping the abuse would stop. They just didn’t stop, they don’t even let her to explain or talk. The only thing she managed to slip was her wedding photo, the only thing that reminds her she has something to fight for.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you, that’s on me. I should have seen the signs,” Sehun starts off, he stares straight at her.

“When Seongwoo came and told me you were dying, I thought you did something to yourself. You were never really the type to disappear into thin air. Tried to call you, texted you, you didn’t reply not even once. I started to think about the what ifs on you, didn’t realize that losing you was the worst thing happen to me.” he continues, Ahyoung just keep staring at him not saying anything or responding anything.

“I spent days wondering what happen to you, trying to see if Seongwoo has something on you. That boy didn’t even say he knows where you’re going. I replayed our last conversation million times in my head, wondering if I said or did something wrong. Soomi knew I was completely distracted, I wanted to take a break so I ended the relationship. Coming home to empty home every day really don’t help, I just have to know where you were and whether you’re okay or not. I wanted to take a break, thought if I did then I could resolve this feelings and continue my life.”

He walks up to her bed but she looks away, can’t stand looking at him straight in the eyes. She feels lie he could shoot right through her. See all the things she’s trying to conceal from him.

“But then I realize it’s not only about knowing about your location, knowing about what happen to you and what you’ve been through. I….. I’m sorry and I know it’s too late, I don’t know whether you’ll still feel the same but I love you Kim Ahyoung and I wish I could turn back the time to repent every single thing I’ve done to you. I want us to work, to make this marriage work.” he holds her hand.

“Please, just give me a chance.” he pleads, Ahyoung looks at her. That’s the face she wanted to see the most after all these times. She put her left hand on his face, trying to make sure she’s not dreaming. It’s not one of her imagination.

“It’s me,” he says and she breaks into tears. He smiles and pulls her into a hug, trying to calm her down.

At last, she’s home.

 

 A/N:

 I’m so sorry it took me yeaarrrsssss (lol jk) to finish this but this story has been lingering on my mind for quite some times but it’s hard to put it into words, you know? Hehehe I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I enjoy writing this, please do leave a comment down below on what do you think about this story:) I’m currently trying to writing a bonus chapter that might won’t be released in yearsssss but it won’t be long, possibly under 10k words

Thank you for all the subbers! I hope you guys are doing well especially with the Covid-19 outbreak, stay healthy and keep your hygiene, have a very belated valentine day too!