Fight or Flight

Mornings and Airports
Please log in to read the full chapter

 


 

Eun Jiwon loves his job as a flight attendant; even so, he dislikes working during the holiday season. He has always saved his allocated leave so he could spend time with his mom and the rest of his family and friends during the holiday. But duty called so there he was at the airport, wearing his uniform, pulling his luggage, and trying to put on a smile for an early morning flight.


 

Jiwon is not naturally smiley. That would be his friend Kang Sunghoon who had asked him this huge favor of switching flight schedule with him. Jiwon could easily say no to everyone else but never to Sunghoon. They had gone through many challenges together even before becoming flight attendants. Smiley he may not be but when Jiwon does smile, not only could he make the ladies swoon but he could make even the grumpiest person smile back. Most pilots like having him in their crew particularly Captain Kang Hodong and Captain Lee Sugeun. Whenever the three of them are in the same flight, work is much more enjoyable for everyone.


 

Work is still work, and when Jiwon commits to something, he totally gives his best. As the passengers walked in, he greeted them and attended to them though he would never get used to what he has always thought to be unnecessary attention from female passengers no matter how long he has been in service. He was checking and closing baggage compartments when he first caught two girls in particular looking at him then giggling and he feared that his ears were reddening from embarrassment so he picked up his pace to complete the task at hand and quickly walked away.


 

But for some reason, Jiwon could not help but look back at the girls once everything was in order and the flight was in progress. Well, perhaps the girls stood out because of their hair? One had fiery red hair while the other had platinum blonde and an interesting uneven cut. Both look beautiful that Jiwon wondered if they were some kind of celebrities trying to travel incognito. Moreover, now that the girls' attention was onto something else and he could observe them freely, he felt rather worried. The blonde one started crying albeit trying her best to muffle any sound while the redheaded one was comforting her, trying to manage the situation. Does she feel sick? Did something happen? Should he ask? There weren't many things that Jiwon found too hard to handle but someone crying was definitely one of them.


 

“Excuse me, but is there anything I can get you? Or your friend,” Jiwon finally found himself asking the one with red hair while taking care not to look at the one who was crying in case it made her uncomfortable.


 

“Oh. Something sweet I guess?” She replied then quickly looked at her companion to ask, “Hot choco?” to which the girl responded in the affirmative while wiping her tears. “Dara's got aviophobia. This is her first long distance flight,” she explained quickly.


 

Jiwon nodded in understanding and empathy, and could not help but look at Dara who smiled at him despite her tears. He found her beautiful from a distance but man, he was not prepared for the visual assault from the close encounter. Ever the professional, Jiwon managed to say, “Don't worry, Ma'am. Air travel is safe; in fact, ...”


 

“...it is the safest mode of transportation,” Dara finished his statement. She had obviously read up on aviophobia. This was probably her attempt at conquering her fear, Jiwon thought.


 

“My name's Dara, and this is Bom. I know you're doing your job, but if it's possible, I'd like it if you would drop the 'Ma'am.'” If it wasn't for her tear-stained face, Jiwon would totally be taken aback, intimidated even, at how commanding Dara could be.


 

“I'll go and get your hot choco then, Dara-ssi,” he said, flashing Dara a reassuring smile.


 

“Thanks.”


 

Dara was much calmer for the duration of the 12-hour flight though she needed to be distracted whenever any sign of panic or anxiety start to show on her face. Jiwon would suggest mobile games to play and films to watch, but what proved to be the most effective distraction was the inflight shopping catalogue.


 

“What do you think about this one?” Dara would ask his opinion and seem to consider it carefully. He could tell she has good taste from the items she asked about. And lowkey loaded because how could she afford to buy them? He had many questions: How old is she? What does she do for a living? What will they be doing in London? But recognizing that he was at work, he restrained himself from asking any question.


 

Jiwon found it amusing that Dara's fear of flying does not have any effect on her appetite. Both girls actually ate well; Bom even asked him for an extra corn muffin.


 

Not that Jiwon thought of Dara as a damsel in distress or that he fancied himself as a knight but he was glad to be on that flight. He must admit he felt a little sad when they have arrived at their destination.


 

“Thank you for flying with us!” The flight attendants would say as the passengers began to disembark. “Thank you,” the passengers would usually reply.


 

“Thank you, Eun Jiwon-ssi,” Jiwon heard Dara say as she passed by him. His eyes could only follow her movement, committing her form to his memory as she walked away.

 

 

***

 


 

Eventhough she is not a fan of drinking coffee, Dara likes hanging out at her friend Austin's cafe mainly because Austin does not treat her the way most people usually do so she is not awkward around him although it has not been long since they became friends. However, the kitchen is strictly off limits to her since that day she caused a fire that set off the alarm. What Dara has mastered was the coffee machine and the cash register, and Austin lets her be in charge of the hall whenever she asks him. For research, she told him when he asked why she wanted to hang out at his cafe. She was busy making coffee with a dripper when she heard the bells chimed, signalling the arrival of a customer.


 

“Welcome!” Dara cheerily called out before seeing the person who just came in.


 

Even with his sunglasses on, Dara easily recognized Eun Jiwon, the flight attendant who she met on her first trip to Europe. The one who patiently taught her how to play games on her phone and kept her distracted throughout the flight when her aviophobia still made her cry. She has stopped crying since then although she still gets anxious sometimes but she has improved by leaps and bounds that she could now fly anytime and anywhere in a jiffy.


 

Recognition was evident on Jiwon's part too as he took off his sunglasses upon seeing her. “Dara-ssi?” he asked in disbelief.


 

“Please, just Dara. Unless you want me to call you 'Sir.' What can I get you, Sir?”


 

Dara saw Jiwon smile, that shy smile she had missed so much. It was the first thing she noticed about him when she first saw him, how shyly he smiled at the passengers. Bom so much about it but admitted much later on how much she liked it too.


 

“What do you make best?” Jiwon asked her.


 

“I can make anything on the menu well. Tell me how you like your coffee.”


 

Jiwon remembered that confidence in her voice. “Definitely sweet.”


 

“Got it.”


 

“How much?”


 

“It's on me. An overdue thank you for the hot choco and everything else.”


 

“But...”


 

Dara raised a finger and successfully stopped Jiwon from refusing. She saw him reluctantly walk away from the counter and take a seat after he noticed her glance at the forgotten coffee dripper. She quickly finished making and serving the honey ginseng coffee before proceeding to making a Spanish latte for Jiwon.


 

“May I join you?”


 

Dara had two cups on a tray. She got conscious knowing that Jiwon was watching her closely but she took the seat across him anyway before he could say anything. He picked up the cup and tasted the coffee while she nervously awaited his reaction.


 

“How is it? Too sweet?”


 

“It's exactly how I like my coffee.”


 

Dara was relieved. “That's good to know.”


 

“But I have a question,” Jiwon stopped and corrected himself. “Many questions.”


 

“Uh oh.”


 

“First of all, how are you related to Austin Kang?”


 

Dara laughed softly. Of all the questions that she dreaded him asking, he threw her an unexpected one. “Austin is my friend. He was also my teacher.” Her emphasis on 'was' wasn't lost on Jiwon. “I was taking lessons from him but I have been kicked out of his kitchen. For now.”


 

“You work here?”


 

“No. Not really. I usually work from home. E-commerce.”


 

“And home is?”


 

“In Apgujeong. My family is originally from Busan though.”


 

Jiwon nodded, seemingly processing the information that Dara provided.


 

“So how do you know Austin?” Dara asked him in return.


 

“From language academy. We were classmates.”


 

Dara was surprised. “English? But Austin is more fluent in English than in...”


 

“Korean. I needed a certificate so I had no choice but to enrol. I lived and studied in Hawaii but I think I'm pretty fluent in Korean.” Jiwon laughed.


 

“Really? I like Hawaii. I enjoyed my stay there two years ago.” Dara actually went to Hawaii for business and a photoshoot but she would rather not tell Jiwon those details. Not yet anyway.


 

“I went to Hawaii with some friends two years ago! Wait, the flight to Hawaii takes...”


 

“About 9 hours or so. I have overcome my fear. I think. Well I don't cry anymore, and I can now sleep soundly while onboard. But I think it's your fault for getting me hooked on inflight shopping.”


 

“Hey, that's too much! “ Jiwon protested, and whenever he did, he tend to speak fast and roughly. “All I did was hand you the catalogue. I was just doing my job. You're the one who wanted to buy stuff. You would have bought them all if I did not stop you.”


 

“I'm kidding; don't be mad at me.”


 

“I'm not mad at you; I'm explaining myself.”


 

“Are we good?”


 

“All good.”


 

“That was kind of awkward. I'm sorry. I tend to say unnecessary things.” Dara apologized.


 

“You're some kind of wonderful,” Jiwon muttered.


 

“I'm sorry. What did you say?”


 

“Nothing. I was kind of wondering if you would have time to call me l

Please log in to read the full chapter