One

I really saved a nation my last life

 

Should I go and talk to her. I looked at the clock and it's 1:08 a.m already. She must be fast asleep. The text message that interrupted my thoughts said otherwise. It said, 'Unnie'. I got up from my bed and rushed to her door. It's been 2 years since we became roommates. I slightly knocked on her door. She opened the door in a matter of seconds,as if she was expecting me.

How is she beautiful even with her messy pink hair and sleepy eyes? Why did she chose me out of everyone? Why me? I wondered while staring at her. It's not like I am gonna get answers ever. I don't want answers in the first place. What's important is: I am hers and she is mine now.

She signalled me to to come inside. I slowly pulled her to hug and I gave her a peck on her lips. She beamed with happiness. I entered her room and she closed the door behind me. Even her back view is so pretty. 

"Unnie." She said in her sweet voice. I just shook my head and we both slid under her blanket. Her smell is making me feel like I am at home. Well it's not wrong. She is my home.

I can still remember how I knew she was around back in our school days. I don't know if it's weird or not, but I always knew when she was there. I would look around and the next moment all I knew was that our eyes are interlocked.

"What are you thinking unnie?" Minju asked. 

"I just remembered our school days"

"Why suddenly?"

"I don't know, Minmin."

"Is it because of tomorrow?" She questioned.

"Maybe."

Tomorrow. Tomorrow we are going to watch a play which my mother is acting in. This is the first time I am taking someone to watch my mother's play. I am quite nervous actually. I mean very, very nervous, but I know Minju is a lot more nervous than me. I just knew it from her message.

"Are you nervous?" I asked. 

She looked at me and said. "I feel like digging a hole and hiding." 

We both chuckled at the end. "It will be okay, Minmin." 

She nodded. 

She is on her left arm and I am on my right arm. We both are facing each other. She is nervous but she is calm. Which is actually not like her. I started caressing her hair and she smiled. What did I do in my past life to deserve her?

"Good night, Minmin."

"Min-night, unnie."

We both fell asleep gradually.

I woke up first. Minju is still sleeping and she is hugging me tightly in her sleep. I looked at her and I gave her my daily good morning kiss on her forehead. 

"Unnie." She said sleepily. 

"Good morning, Minmin!" 

"Good morning, my Wonnie unnie."

Why is she flirtish already?

We both hugged each other tightly and stayed still. I don't want to get up. I just don't care about anything right now. I just want to stay like this with her forever.

Back in our school days...

She always came to see me to my class before school started. We spent hours texting. We met each other during the interval. I can still remember the first time she held my hand. She always gave me a heads up when there are bag checking stuff going on. It's not like I had anything and she knew it too. But she always let me know. Just seeing her made my day.

It's not like we never had our downs. We did at the start because I was in denial. But yeah I said goodbye to the coward me and decided to date her and that is the best decision I have ever made.

After all those years, here we are now, hugging each other and waking up next to each other. 

"It's time to get up, Minmin." 

She pouted. "Just a few minutes more, unnie." 

Can I say no? Of course not, so we did sleep for another hour. She really has me on her hands. I smiled internally at the thought.

We got up and she ran out of the room like a kid. How cute.

It finally hit me. Minju and my mother are going to meet. My girlfriend and my mother are going to meet. OH MY GOD! What should I do?

I screamed internally.

Minju came back to the room and said "Unnie." in a worried tone.

"What, Minmin?" 

"I AM GOING TO MEET YOUR MOTHER TODAY!" She said in a loud and scared voice. 

"I know, Minmin." She came towards me.

“But Unnie, what will she think? Won't she be curious why I am the only one who came? Won't she be suspicious?"

"She already knows, Minmin."

"About us?" She asked with her eyes wide opened.

"No no, Minmin. She just knows you are coming. She already knows you as my roommate and that we are very close. You know that already. She also knows I am dating someone... If the so called motherly instincts are working well, she might have already guessed it's you." I said in a calm voice. She looked worried but also relieved. I continued, "We never talked about telling about us to our parents officially even though they might know already. I am more than ready to tell my mother, but you also have a say in it. So I didn't and I will wait as long as you want. Anyways you don't have to worry about it." 

She looked relaxed. 

Her mother caught us one day when I was giving Minju her good night kiss at her doorstep (yeah stupid, I know). Her mother never said anything, but we know she saw us. She never changed in the way she usually treat us either. The issue has always been my mother. Her intimidating looks doesn't help at all either. Sigh. But she is the best mother in the whole world. She knows me perfectly. She knew even before I said I am gay. I actually never had to come out.

One day after school, I went to a cafe to grab some coffee. And there was this waitress who got my attention. I kind of kept stealing glances at her secretly. At least I thought I did so secretly. But my mother said "She is pretty." suddenly. I visibly started to panic and tremble. I can't actually remember because I was scared to death. At that moment my mother held my hand and said "Don't worry. I knew about it for a while. I waited ‘till you come to me. But I realised you will never do it. Your happiness is my happiness, Chaewon-ah. You don't have to be scared to be who you are. Your family is with you." That night I had the most peaceful sleep I had ever since I realized I am gay.

 

The morning went by pretty quickly. We both ended up doing our house chores and we had some snuggling sessions in between too. Sometimes she went "unnie" in a worried tone. Almost all those times ended up with us snuggling on the couch. Every time she smiled, I felt like I really have saved a nation in my last life.

As soon as we got into our car my phone rang. The screen said 'Ducky Yena'. Oh God. 

I answered the phone.

"Yaah, you really are taking Minjoo to see your mother's play. You never took me even I literally begged you." She screamed from the other side without a stop. 

Minjoo and I chuckled. 

"Where are you, Ducky?" I asked.

"Well, now?",she is hesitant to answer. I know why exactly.

"Yeah, now."

"Well me and Yuri is going on a movie date."

"I see. That's too bad. I was going to invite you to watch the play too. What can we do now?" I said in a teasing voice.

"YAAH KIM CHAEWON!" She screamed. 

We all laughed. 

"Minjoo-yah."

"Yes,Yena unnie."

"Don't worry about Chaewon's mother. She is actually a really cool mom, unlike Chaewon" Yena chuckled.

"Yes, unnie I got it." She said while looking at me. 

"Enjoy your date, Yen. Let's meet later. "

"Ok, Chae. You too" 

I knew I had to be prepared to hear an earful from the girls the next day.

We arrived at the theatre around 2.05 p.m. We were actually quite early. We had around another two hours before the play started. I held her hand and caressed her fingers with my thumb. Her hands are so soft. We eventually interlocked our hands and stayed still. We didn't talk, we just enjoyed each others presence in silence. 

After awhile I said, "I know you are scared. It's okay, Minmin. You don't have to worry. Everything will be ok. Just stay by my side." I slowly pulled her to a hug and she reacted immediately.

After that we went to the backstage area. The staff is familiar with me. I have come here multiple times with my sister. I held her hand and tightened the grip it before we entered the makeup room. I looked at her and gave her 'Are you ready look?' And she replied ’yes’ with her head. I slowly let go of her hand. 

I knocked and entered the room. Minju is behind me. 

My mother saw us and waved at us and came to us. "Oh, you guys already came. It's early." She said with a soft tone. 

She turned to Minju. 

"Hello, Minju! You are pretty even more than your photos. Chaewon has told us a lot about you."

"Thank you." She said with a shy smile. 

My mother looked at me and made a 'she is good' face towards me. 

I smiled at her and Minju.

"You two go and take a seat wherever you two are comfortable with.” She turned to Minju and said, "Minju enjoy your time and let's go to dinner tonight. I mean only if you are okay with it."

Minju nodded and she looked surprised. I sensed it. We went and made ourselves comfortable in the third row. There were only few staff members checking lighting and they didn't even notice our presence. 

I held her hand once we sat. "How was it? I told you everything will be okay."

"Yes, you and Yena unnie, both are right. Your mother is indeed a cool mother." She said while giving a thumbs up. 

When she is happy, I am happy.

I don't mind what the future holds for me. Whatever it is, Minju is a part of it. We are not perfect individuals, but together we both make each other special and at least someone closer to perfect. I kept staring at her and whispered to her ears, "Minmin, I am really happy right now." She beamed at me and kissed my lips. I really must have saved a nation my last life.