Rest Easy, My Love

Rest Easy, My Love

It's 2 o'clock in the morning.

Passing by the corridors filled with bright white lights is probably too much for her tired and weary eyes. Thankfully she had chosen to wear her hoodie and cap after changing from her outfit.

The KBS Gayo Daechukjae ended quite late due to some lengthy suprise numbers but everything ended up well. The performances were excellent, her MCing went smoothly, her collab song went amazing and the crowd were all hyped-up. Anyone could say that it was a great event. The night was good and everyone was okay.

'Everyone' .... everyone except that one person.

She has now reached a corridor that is lined with flower stands of different well- wishes for the patient currently residing at the end of this hall. While passing by, her attention was caught by one of the biggest stands.

She read with her eyes, 'May you have a speedy recovery. - From SBS Corps.'

Her tired face suddenly flushed red with rage at the thought of all of this hypocrisy.

'The audacity of these people...' she angrily thought.' 

A compensation for their mistake, a half-baked apology for show. It made her feel even more disgusted and furious of them. No size of flower stands will ever be enough and will suffice for the pain and misery that their negligence had put her through. 

Almost just a few steps away from the room, the door opened, a tall girl accompanied by a relatively small woman went out of the room. 

"Irene-ah you're here." said the smaller of the two.

"I apologize for only arriving just now Sunny-unnie. I dropped by our dorms to get some more clothes for myself and some blanket for Wan-- I mean, Wendy." She bit her lip for almost slipping up.

'Wannie' an endearment that she had gotten used to and now longs to use towards person resting on the other side of the door.

Sunny had noticed the slip but decided to let it slide. After all, it's unimportant right now. Of course she had heard the rumors, and for years she had been silently watching the connection between her two favorite dongsaeng, one is playful and the other one is serene yet both hearts are pure and filled with warmth and love.

"It's alright Irene-ah, although, you could have rested first before coming here. Seulgi and I are going to see Wendy's new lab test results first. The nurse is currently tending to her."

"I understand unnie. I will see and take care of her while you are gone." Biting her lips, Joohyun can feel her anxiety building.

Sunny nodded and bid goodbye to Irene. Seulgi on the other hand held Irene's left arm firmly. 

"Are you sure you can do this unnie? Will you be alright?" the younger girl's concern was evident on her eyes.

They both know exactly that this will be the first time Irene is going to see Wendy in the hospital. She had been preoccupied with work and rehearsals during the last few days and was not able to see her 'Wannie' yet. 

This sudden reality brought chills to Irene's spine. Indeed, what will she see at the other side of this door? How will she take it if she finally see's Seungwan's bedridden condition? what would she feel? 

These questions brought her more anxiety. She clutched her chest, her heart that was palpitating. Just above her right chest was a medallion which she had always worn. 

'They call it the miraculous medal Hyunnie, it brought miracles to many of its bearers in history... and now, i want you to have it... Seungwan said, as she puts it on Joohyun's neck.

'... as a token of my love for you and to keep you safe, always...'

"She needs me more than ever Seulgi-ah. Her family still hasn't arrived yet. We are her only family right now. " she responded, trying to put up a reassuring smile. '... and I want to be by her side... I need her with me. I don't want anything else to happen to her...to keep her safe.'

Seulgi pressed her arm gently as she gave her, her infamous bear smile. "You are right unnie. I know that u will take good care of her for all of us. And if Wan is awake, she would want you to be by her side always.You might not even be able to leave her sight." the bear further chuckled and with a nod she finally left Irene

After knocking 3 times gently on the door, Irene enetered the room. Inside was a wide and spacious private room which has a sofa bed,tv, big dressers, a private comfort room. It seems that the company had made sure that Seungwan is treated in the best facility of the hospital. This slightly brought some relief to Irene's heart.

Near the windows was a queensized bed and there lies the patient whose body is covered by a white blanket. Wearing an oxygen mask with bandages on her right side face and around her head, a dextrose and several other tubes are attached in her body.

A nurse standing by the patient's side is currently holding a thermometer. 'Patient at 41°C, hyperpyrexia check, with swelling...,' Joohyun heard the nurse muttered.

Laying down her bag and and taking off her cap and hoodie, Irene gently approached the nurse who was slightly startled with her appearance.

"Irene-ssi...?" the nurse seemed to have recognized her immediately.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Irene-imnida. I am here to visit the patient. May I know her condition right now?" she politely asked.

Realizing her job, the nurse immediately bowed towards Irene and said, "The patient is currently having a fever, although it's a natural reaction of her body given her fractures. The doctor's already gave her some prescribed medicines for the inflammation and pain. It may take a few more minutes before they take effect." 

Irened looked at Seungwan and noticed the tiny droplets of sweat on her face. Despite the aircondition inside the room, her Seungwan is sweating as if she had just done one round of their dances songs. 

"To help alleviate the heat on the  patient's body, please constantly sponge her arms and legs with this cloth. The doctors will be periodically checking her condition since further diagnosis still needs to be made. If there is an emergency, please push this button to notify us." the nurse further instructed on  which Irene listened carefully.

"I understand. Thank you so much." Irene politely bowed towards the nurse which was returned by the latter and proceeded to leave the room.

Finally alone with the patient, Irene silently observed the slow breathing of the precious girl in front of here. Even in  her unconscious state, Irene can notice the little gasps of pain leaving the younger girl's lips. She moved closer to gently caress her left arm but she can't help but winced at the burning heat she felt with the contact of their skins.

Her Seungwan had always been warm and that's one of the reasons why she loves to cuddle with her. But right now, her Wannie's body is abnormally warm accompanied by a really bad swelling on her right cheek and a whole right arm that is casted. Not to mention, the most serious of all her injuries, her pelvic fracture. She cannot imagine the amount of pain and hurt that Seungwan must be feeling right now. Little did Joohyun noticed the droplets of tears falling from her tired eyes as she sniffed as they fall.

Using a wet washcloth as instructed by the nurse, Irene started sponging gently on Wannie's forehead, neck, arms and legs. While doing so, she noticed the different bruises that Wendy had sustained all over her body due to the fall. Joohyun's stomach clenched at the sight of them, her body was trembling as she let out a cry of grief along with another dam of tears.

Holding Seungwan's good hand and she had intertwined their fingers and held it to her lips as she sobs. 

"I am here Wannie. I promise that you're going to be fine. We'll make it through. We're going to be okay." she whispered.

Joohyun bent down to gently place a kiss on Seungwan's forehead and whispered,

"Rest easy, my love."