Of Birthdays and Friendships

Of Felines and 95s

"Oh ", Wheein thought as she drew doodles of Ggomo on her sketch book.

She was on break from her busy schedules and had totally forgotten about his birthday coming up soon. She got dressed and headed to the pet shop in Itaewon to see what she could get as a present for her beloved cat.

Not wasting a minute since she didn't like being outside too much, she beelined to the cat section of the shop on the second level of the building. 

"Should've brought Hyejin along with me today", she thought to herself as she trudged up the stairs.

She stopped at every rack to see and think about whether Ggomo would like such toys. There were hundreds of them and she was about to pull her hair out.

"How is it this hard to find a suitable present for a CAT?" she mumbled to herself, albeit a little too loudly.

"I know right, nothing seems to check out for me either", a male voice replied, shocking Wheein. The toys were pushed away and out peeked the familiar face of Yook Sungjae. His cheeky smile turned into a look of slight shock as he saw his fellow idol standing on the other side of the shelf.

"Hey there Wheein-ssi, didn't know that was you!" Sungjae mused.

Wheein's lips turned into a smile as she replied "long time no see, Sungjae-ssi! What are you doing here? You have a cat too?" she stopped herself before rambling on further.

"Yeah, I wrecked my brains trying to find something suitable for my cat and I just couldn't settle on anything," Sungjae said with his hands spread, indicating that he had already been in the shop for quite awhile. "Shall we head to the cafe to take a break and then brainstorm together? Maybe that'll work better, for the both of us." he added with a short laugh.

Wheein nodded and walked with him to the small cafe across the street. The inside of the cafe was warm and cozy, and she instantly felt at home when the smell of coffee hit her.

"What would you like to have?" Sungjae asked, standing a few feet away from the counter.

"Just an iced Americano will do, hold on I'll get my wallet," Wheein said as she reached for her purse.

Sungjae rested his hand lightly on her arm. "That's alright, I'll pay for your drink. You can go find a seat first, I'll come look for you later."

Wheein wanted to reject his offer, but he seemed insistent on it so she relented. She mouthed a 'thank you' and walked to the empty table at the darkest corner of the cafe. That way people won't be able to see them and assume that they were dating. The press was a horrible thing and the last thing she wanted was a scandal right before the comeback.

Sungjae strolled over with a tray packed with cookies, a cake, her iced Americano and an iced latte. 

"You're gonna eat that much?" Wheein questioned with her utmost sincerity. 

Sungjae let out a hearty laugh, saying "I'm flattered you think I can, but this is for us to share. Figured we need some sugar to activate our braincells."

"Sorry, didn't think you'd get any for me. I got a comeback coming up so I can't have too much, I apologize in advance." Wheein bowed slightly, indicating her apology.

"Ah, don't worry about that, I can pack any leftover cookies for Hyunsik hyung afterwards. Just help yourself to whatever you can eat," he said as he carefully placed the cake and cookies on the table. "Your seating choice is really special though, dark corner in a bright room. You're afraid of a scandal aren't you?" Sungjae asked with a slightly playful tone. He could understand where she was coming from. Besides, he liked dark corners too, so it didn't matter to him nonetheless. 

"Yeah I am, can't risk it you know. I think they have a secret tracker on me somewhere I don't know of," Wheein said and they laughed in unison. 

"Sorry for asking Wheein-ssi, but could we talk comfortably? I feel like we've known each other for years but we haven't really spoken to each other personally before. I've only ever spoken to Byulie noona and Yongsun noona," Sungjae initiated. 

"Of course, I've been meaning to ask you that too, I've always called the rest of your members oppa, excluding Peniel sunbaenim and yourself. I'm a 95 liner, you're probably older right? I should call you oppa then?" Wheein asked. 

"Really?!" Sungjae said, eyes wide. 

"I'm a 95 liner too! That's such a coincidence! We could be friends then, you don't have to be formal with me!" Sungjae exclaimed, excited that he had gotten a new 95 liner friend. 

They laughed and shook hands. "Well I'll introduce myself again, I'm Jung Wheein from MAMAMOO, a 95 liner. Nice to meet you!" "and I'm Yook Sungjae from BTOB, a 95 liner as well. Nice to meet you too!" 

The two newfound friends sat and started on their dessert, Wheein grabbing a cookie while Sungjae took a sip of his latte. 

"So when's the comeback? Spoil something for me," Sungjae said as he gave his million dollar smile. Wheein couldn't help but think about how kind and polite he was to her the whole way and that he must have learnt it from his hyungs in BTOB. Their groups really were similar in more ways than one. 

"Well all I can say now is that it's something to do with dissing haters," Wheein motioned a zip across after her sentence and Sungjae got the hint. 

"That's actually super cool! We wanted to do a similar concept but the hyungs went in too soon. Now we gotta wait another five years or so before the whole group is back together. But congratulations, I think it's gonna be a huge hit! Can't wait for it!" Sungjae commented before taking a bite out of his cake. 

"The release date is set for 14 November, which is also coincidentally Ggomo's birthday-" she stopped short before saying "ah, we went off topic didn't we," as she remembered that they had to head back to the pet shop to get his gift. 

"14th November is your cat's birthday? My cat has her birthday on the 15th! Haha the coincidences are just coming through. I got her in 2016 so she's huge now, can you imagine," Sungjae said as he opened his arms to the size of half a metre. 

"Hold on, 2016? That's when I got my cat too! They must be around the same age then, just like us!" Wheein laughed and Sungjae joined her as they joked about how they were oblivious to the fact that they had that many similarities. 

"So what's her name? Your cat." 

"Sami, can you guess why I named her that?" Sungjae asked, receiving a slight frown from Wheein, her thinking look probably. 

Being the frontal lobe of her group, she made a guess. "Your surname is Yook, which means 6 if you hear it, so I'm guessing 3X2=6? Is that why she's named Sami (32)?" 

"Woah you got it right on, yeah I thought since she was my first pet I should name her after me but I didn't know how to make it sound indirectly like my name. I eventually thought of this one and it suits her so well." 

"What's your cat's name? I heard a ggo-" 

"Ggomo. That's his name!" Wheein replied as she asked him to guess why. Sungjae clocked his head to the side and Wheein could see the slight resemblance of an animal in him. She couldn't pinpoint what it was. 

"Oh! Isn't that the yoghurt drink/thing we had when we were young? I thought it was familiar." Sungjae answered confidently and Wheein clapped softly for him. "That's right, I loved that when I was little, so much you don't even know. It's why I named him after it." 

Half an hour passed as they chit chatted about their cats and finished up with their coffee. Sungjae got a to-go bag for the remaining cookies and they left to go back to the pet shop across the street where Wheein purchased a shark like chase toy for Ggomo and Sungjae bought a new water fountain for Sami. 

As they stepped out of the shop, Wheein turned to Sungjae. "Thanks for the treat in the café, next time let me pay, alright?" 

"If you insist. I hope we can keep in touch! Here's my number. We could send each other photos of our cats." Sungjae said as Wheein started chuckling under her breath. "What're you laughing at...?" 

"You. You literally sounded like an old man trying to socialise." Wheein couldn't hold it in and broke out into fits of laughter. Watching her happy made Sungjae feel good, and he smiled. "Laugh all you want, I'm pretty sure you'll send as many cat photos as I will." 

"I'll see you soon, won't I?" Wheein asked, wiping tears from her eyes from doubling over too hard. 

"Let me know if you wanna hang out! I'll try to find time for you okay." Sungjae said as he made a mental note to sort out his schedules. 

"You won't be attending the year end music shows?" Wheein questioned. "They didn't send us an invite, and I'll probably be filming my drama at that period of time so nope, I won't be able to see you in the waiting rooms like before." Sungjae replied, feeling a little disappointed himself. 

The two 95 liners parted ways with a bro handshake, and as Wheein walked back home, she thought ​​​​​, I should really have brought Hyejin with me. The three of us would've had an awesome hangout session today. Then again, maybe not bringing her was a good thing because she would've felt left out hearing us talk about our cats​​​​​​. 

Sungjae on the other hand, was just glad that he had finally managed to speak to the other members of MAMAMOO. He could feel their two groups becoming even closer to a group hang out soon.