The Little One

Bloom

A twenty-six year old Ji Eun brushed her teeth and thought about her grandmother. Halmeoni was very fond of flowers, especially of magnolia and that one other flower that looked like it. She probably won’t like In Ho, Ji Eun’s boyfriend who happens to be allergic of flowers.

She gargled some mouthwash and winced out of pain from the wound in her upper lip. Spitting out the mouthwash was also painful. She twisted the faucet however, it did not budge. Even for the second time, with bigger force, it didn’t move.

Conveniently, the shower was long enough to reach the sink and washed out all the residue. She went back to her room and groaned as soon as she saw the daylight peeking through the small space in which the curtains didn’t cover.

Ji Eun works 4 hours each in a café, restaurant and in a bar as a solo singer. Morning was at the café called Sunny which served breakfast all day and featured bands and soloists like her. The young couple who owned it were her friends. Everyone greeted her warmly before and after her shifts.

Lunch was with Mexican restaurant called La Mujer in which she had to sing either Mexican or English songs. Sometimes she also have to dance which can be fun and also tiring. She also had to change her clothes to suit her dance.

Lastly, Dinner was with the bar called “The Zone”, In Ho’s brother owns it and pays her well if she sings Jazz songs. Unlike the previous workplaces, she didn’t really have anything to eat there since there were no appropriate food other than appetizers so she always opt to go home right away for dinner.

Singing was a passion Ji Eun loved as a child and garnered to even desire as she grew up. It would only be natural to be content to her jobs, but she was running old and the loving passion grew cold as years go. Every day for the few years became somehow identical and sometime in weekend, In Ho might show himself but sometimes not.

The places as much as lovely they were, didn’t really welcome originals. It must have been years since she last wrote something or was even inspired enough to do so.

She slapped her cheek to dispel such thoughts. The thoughts, though come back every day to haunt her. Especially when her mother gives a call sometimes.

Once her shifts had ended, Ji Eun glimpsed at her phone for messages but received none. Back then when they were younger, In Ho used to walk her home. He has now a car, but barely has the time. She understood it perfectly, though, as he wasn’t like her, he was working at a big company.

As soon as she hailed for a taxi, her phone vibrated in her pocket. Her heart skipped a beat and she ignored the taxi that paused. This was a very weird feeling.

Something has changed from the routine.

“I’ll pick you up.” - Inho

She displayed a tired smile and thanked the forces above whoever they may be guiding her fate. Maybe it’s grandma watching over me. Though that’s funny, she wouldn’t like In Ho.

In Ho drove her to a nearby spaghetti house. As much as she was happy, but her exhaustion was also catching up. Her eyes were heavy and dropped every few minutes.

“Are you listening?” He asked, irritated.

 

Ji Eun pinched her thigh and smiled. “Yes, your boss gave you a glass of bourbon in return of the witty joke.”

He blinked his eyes in surprised and grinned. In Ho went back to talking about work and Ji Eun tried her best to keep awake. The arrival of the pasta and wine, however, proved it be harder to stay awake.

-

 

Halmeoni tucked a golden bell on 8 year old Ji Eun’s ear and kissed her forehead. “If you stay friends with nature and greet them nicely every day. They will gladly pay you back and this exchange shall make you happy.”

Little Ji Eun complimented the tree that gave the shade on both of them. She told the tree to prosper longer and that it was very beautiful. Halmeoni did the same and then ate some sandwiches they made.

-

Current Ji Eun’s sight slowly cleared up after slowly opening her eyes. She immediately sat down upright from panic and looked for In Ho who was absent on his seat. The plates were already gone, but In Ho’s glass of wine was still not finished.

He went back after a few minutes and apologized as he was busy with calls. In Ho drove her home while she pretended to sleep at the back seat. She opened her left eye and observed her boyfriend.

It must have been really long since they met since his hair has already changed. He looked more slicked and serious now, but it suited him. He still bit his lip whenever he swerves to another direction not, because he was nervous but due to habit.

They arrived in a few minutes in front of her apartment building. He craned his neck to look at her and chuckled as he realized she was clearly pretending to sleep.

“You’re not a child, Ji Eun-ah,” he said.

She smiled and opened her eyes. “Come up with me,” she pleaded.

“Okay.”

“I’ll go pick up something on the 2ndfloor first, you go ahead.” She told him and ran towards the stairs. He peered at his wristwatch and sighed, but went ahead anyway.

Ji Eun grabbed the red box in front of the 2nd door and pressed a red sticker on it. “It’s Ji Eun! I’ve already picked it up. Thank you!” She shouted and walked away.

In Ho’s nose was very itchy once he approached his girlfriend’s door. He could smell something he didn’t like – flowers. Did she change her candles?  He pressed the passcode and went in with a hand covering his nose.

The itch magnified and his nose became red once he stepped in. He couldn’t help but let out a big sneeze. Ji Eun appeared on the open doorway and dropped the box on the floor. “What’s wrong?”

He stepped out of the room and his nose somehow calmed down a bit. Ji Eun sniffed her room and shook her head. “I didn’t have any scented candle or flowers in.”

“I’ll get the antihistamine from my car while you suppress it.” He immediately run off while holding his nose. She blinked a few times in confusion and studied the room.

After a few minutes of mopping the floor and spraying green tea all over, it has somehow expelled the flowery smell. She sat on the sofa and in a few moments she didn’t even realize she has already fallen asleep. In Ho however did not come back anymore.

The windows opened by itself and the night breeze blew white petals inside the room. The petals flew for a while and then fell gracefully towards the sleeping Ji Eun.

“Dear Gods, please watch over the little one as she rests for the night.”

-