Prologue

You Belong With Me (Revamping)

“The person you’re calling is unreachable. Please try again. Thank you.”

“Arrggghhh!!!” he shouted. Frustrated when the telco operator was the one answering his phone calls since a while ago. His legs kept walking while looking around for her. “Just where are you?” he mumbled as he kept dialling her number for countless times. He felt worry, especially when he knew she wasn’t in a good condition when she walked out from home.

“Neo babo!” He cursed himself. “What are you trying to prove?! You ruined your own marriage! Your happiness is just a step away! If only you could lower down your ego….” a voice echoed in his head, blaming himself-loud as if someone was shouting at him. He his head, hoping the voice would go away.

“Soojin-ah, please… give me a chance. I would do anything for you but please, come back~” He prayed as he kept looking for her, running non-stop as his eyes searched for a familiar figure around.

 

------------------

 

Soojin wandered alone aimlessly, ignoring the busy surrounding. Her phone kept buzzing, unanswered. Her eyes had swollen and red because of crying. She was looking so weary, as if she could fall down anytime.

“I wish you never appear in my life…”

Those words that blurt out from her husband’s mouth kept echoing in her mind. 1-year-old marriage that began without love. Still, she was hoping for a miracle. Hoping that her husband could love her just like how she had loved him-quietly. But she lost her hope a moment ago and now needed to accept the fact that they weren’t meant for each other.

She was in her own world, continuing her steps carelessly, walking without a soul, ignoring her surroundings.

*HONK!!!*

A loud honk echoed throughout the busy road.

“WATCH OUT!!!” someone shouted across the road.

*BANG! *

She felt her body flung through the air before slammed onto the ground, hard. The loud noise attracted the people around. Her vision became blurry while a loud buzzing sound occupied her head. The time seemed to have stopped ticking. Everything was moving slowly around her. In her blurry vision, she saw people gathered around her. She couldn’t understand anything they said. Her eyes became smaller and smaller before her world turned blank and pitch dark.

 

------------------------------

 

The siren of an ambulance echoed loudly, drawing the crowds’ attention as it crossed the busy street and halted near a group of people that surrounded a severely injured woman lying unconscious in a pool of blood. On the opposite street, his eyes widen in shock. His heart skipped a beat. The phone that was on his ear the whole time, trying to reach her, fell to the ground. His hands trembled like someone with Parkinson. His legs weaken, wobbling like jelly. He could not move. Everything happened too fast.

He saw her.

On a stretcher.

Drenched in blood.

Lifeless.

“I wish you never appear in my life…”

“I hate you…”

The argument they had a moment ago crossed his mind. The tears on her face just now tormented him. His body felt light as a feather, slowly drooped down on the pavement with a huge regret and guilt.

“You’ve misunderstood them!”

He recalled his father’s words.

“I’m sorry...” He muttered while clenching his fist.

 

------------------------------

 

The ER department became hectic as two ambulances arrived simultaneously, carrying two unconscious lives. A woman drenched in blood had the first attention. They pushed the stretcher towards an empty emergency room, together with the assigned medical team.

“1,2,3. Lift!” a doctor instructed as they moved her onto the ER bed before going through some necessary steps, examining her while listening to the paramedic brief concerning the victim.

“She sure lost tons of blood.” The doctor muttered before the woman’s body slumped into a seizure.

“Cardiac arrest!” The doctor exclaimed as she looked at the monitor that showing some unstable, declining reading and almost turning into a straight line with alarming beeping sound.

“Defibrillator!” she demanded as she cut out the woman’s cloth while the nurse preparing the machine before handing the pedal to her. “CLEAR!” She shouted, before putting the pedal on the woman’s chest. Her body lifted before crushing down again on the bed because of the high current voltage.

Situation became chaotic when the first attempt failed to revive her pulse. That poor woman did not know what was happening around her. The doctor then attempted CPR by pressing the woman’s chest several times, trying to bring her back.

“Doojoon-ah~” she whispered, but no one heard her. A drop of tear fell down from one of her closed eyes before the team heard a long beeping sound and a straight-line graph on the monitor.

 

-------------------------------