Step one: Give her signs

The Joy of Courting Your Clueless Best Friend

Step one: Give her signs

-

Sooyoung likes to think she has class.  On principle, when people need to reach her, she lets her phone ring at least three times before picking up the call.  After all, it’s not good to leave the impression that she’s too available.  For romantic endeavors, it takes away the allure—the thrill of the chase.  To others, it could give off the vibe that she has nothing else going on in her life.

For her favorite unnie, though, she makes an exception.

When her screen lights up with Son Seungwan’s caller I.D., Sooyoung swipes to accept not even half a second into the first ring.

“Hi!” she chirps.  “What’s up?”  She places her pen down on her desk, slamming her textbook shut.  Studying is a pointless endeavor now that her concentration has been effectively shot.  It’s impossible for her to contain her enthusiasm when it comes to Seungwan, but she figures that it’s okay.  Seungwan deserves all the love in the world, and Sooyoung has plenty to give for her. 

“Hey, Sooyoungie!” comes Seungwan’s voice on the other end, staticky and muffled.  “I’m about to pass by the convenience store.  Is there anything you need?”

“Hmm.”  Sooyoung taps at her chin, pretending to consider.  She scoots out of her chair and flops onto her bed, flat on her stomach, kicking her legs up.  With utmost sincerity, she says, “I need you.”

In lieu of a response from the other end, the wind howls.  Although muted, Sooyoung can still hear the ambience of the city life through the tinny phone connection—the humming engines of cars driving by, the rumble of the underground subway trains, the chatter of university students milling about on a Friday night.  Then: the smooth glide of glass doors sliding open, along with the high-pitched beeps of items being scanned at cash registers.

After Seungwan is silent for a few seconds too long, Sooyoung starts to think she broke her.  “Unnie?” she calls out.  She’s lying on her side now, phone pressed flush against her ear to catch any signs that the other girl is alive.

“I’m here,” Seungwan answers.  There’s the sound of a box getting thrown into a shopping basket.  “Maybe I’ll get some treats for Haetnim, then.  And some persimmons.  I know you love those.”

“I love you,” Sooyoung says teasingly.  It’s an earnest statement, though.  It always is.  Maybe one day Seungwan will catch on.

When Seungwan snorts, Sooyoung figures that day is not today.

“Wow, you’re so helpful,” Seungwan remarks, sarcasm dripping in her tone.  Sooyoung can imagine fond exasperation on her face—the way she rolls her eyes right before giving a belly-deep laugh.  “When did you get so cheesy?”

It isn’t the serious response that Sooyoung wishes it were—not that her joking tone calls for it—but it gets a chuckle out of Seungwan and that’s what matters.  Sooyoung smiles, curling a lock of hair around her fingers.  “I don’t know.  You’re a bad influence.”

“Hush.  Do you want me to come over or not?”

“Like you would give up a Friday night with your best friend,” Sooyoung shoots back, rolling onto her back.

“Hmm, I don’t know—there’s a first time for everything.”

She sits up.  “No, no.  I’m sorry!”

As if handing out a punishment, Seungwan greets the clerk instead of replying to her.  Sooyoung hears the beeps of items getting scanned, then tossed into a plastic bag.  There’s a clink! and a cha-ching!  An exchange of coins and of polite thank yous.

It’s only when Sooyoung hears the bustle of the city again that Seungwan deigns to respond.  “Yeah, that’s what I thought.”

The lock of hair around her finger has coiled tight around her skin, threatening to cut off circulation.  Sooyoung can already feel the nip of pins and needles creeping up the joints.  She could scream.  How could her declarations of love end up like this?

Oh, well.  The important thing is that Seungwan is still coming over.  She flexes and unflexes her hand, blood rushing back to the tip of her finger.  Extending her arm forward, she points at the ceiling, drawing the shape of Seungwan’s name in the air.  “I’ll see you soon, then, unnie?”

“See you soon, Sooyoung-ah.”

She stares at her phone display after the call ends, then clutches her fingers around the left side of her chest, fingers gripping into her sweater as though it can soothe her heartache.  It’s almost unfair.  Seungwan is so dense, and Sooyoung can only take getting curved so much in one day.

Next time will be better, she vows.


I really wanted to get something out for them before the comeback, so I'm glad I managed push this out, even if it is short. Whenever I have time/whenever I need to take a break from my other writing projects, I'll be updating this in similarly short installments. Truthfully, I was also planning on posting another WenJoy fic for the comeback, but that one is still in progress--about a third of the way done or so. I'm working on completing the whole thing before I post the first chapter of it, as it is slightly more plot heavy, so I hope you guys look forward to that as well!

Feel free to follow me at @jiuwuming! As always, comments and feedback are welcome!