crusade.

Custody - A 2YEON Oneshot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Your mother would be here, hem at least 1 hour and a half later, so we better go for some food maybe" Said Nayeon while checking her watch on her left hand. 

"Told ya, why are we here so early anyway?" Chaeyoung complaint to her mom.

"Well, don't you excited to see your mother?" Nayeon said it while picking up the restaurant at the airport terminal.

"Sounds like you're the one who's excited to meet her" Chaeyoung mumbling for herself.

"What?" Nayeon heard her daughter's constant nagging.

"Nevermind, let's just eat Subway, Mom"

Chaeyoung then dragged her clumsy Mom to the restaurant.

"Jeez, you are truly the daughter of your mother" Nayeon smiled to herself. Chaeyoung's mother always picked Subway, it's her comfort food.

----

FLASHBACK

2 Years ago. 

It's been 3 years since the divorce. They ended their marriage after a year of counseling, it just didn't work between them. They split the custody by 50/50. It's what they promised to each other that they won't make her one and only daughter suffer through an amicable divorce. They split everything wisely. Since both living in a practically same neighborhood and their job usually cross path too many times, they could easily adjust their time for her daughter.

Jeongyeon is a dedicated social service worker, dedicating her life advocating for child protection support. While Nayeon is a cardiothoracic surgeon at the most prestigious hospital in Seoul, Samseong Medical Center. There's nothing special to their love story. They met at the hospital when Jeongyeon was assigned to check on a child victim of abusive parents. Nayeon was the first doctor that made a contact with the child back when she was a first-year resident in the ER. They were both young and single and decided to date each other. After surviving themselves from long-distance relationships through residency programs in Seoul and Africa (Jeongyeon did her time in Africa saving children under UN's program), breakups, and so many ups and downs in their relationship, they decided to tie the knot at the age of 28. It went well until they both agreed to have divorced after 12 years of being together.

"Hi" Jeongyeon greeted Nayeon at the hospital.

"Hi"

"The meeting with directors right? Went well?" Nayeon asked.

"Yeah, totally. Hey, tonight I have to meet with my team. Can you pick up Chaeyoung from the academy?"

"Okay, fine, I'll pick her up"

"Thank you so much, Nayeon. Just let me know if you need a switch okay?"

"Okay, okay"

"Oh good afternoon, Ms. Yoo" Someone made an approach from behind.

"Oh hey!" Nayeon excitedly greeted her as well. 

"Hello, Dr. Minatozaki" Jeongyeon greeted her awkwardly.

"You done with your rounds?" Nayeon asked her.

Sana nodded to Nayeon, "Yes, Dr. Im"

"Alright Jeongyeon, see you around!"

Nayeon then went with Sana. Jeongyeon looked at their direction

"Just so you know, there's nothing wrong with you" Anther someone made a surprise appearance to Jeongyeon

"What do you mean Park Jihyo?"

"Come on, I mean, you're smart, you're also beautiful. Just...........you're picky, too picky. And stubborn as well, ugh. Look at your ex, she's move on already Yoo!"

"YA, this is not a competition or something"

"OMG but look at your ex's girlfriend now, she's hawt, you know"

"I am done talking to you Park Jihyo" Jeongyeon started walking and left her. Jihyo followed.

"How's the meeting, by the way?"

"Well, it went well, your father is terrifying, still, after all this time. But I believe I might hear good words from them, they seem enthusiast"

"Oh nice, great!" They continued talking while walking.

"Oh hey?" Jihyo then stopped the steps.

"What?" Jeongyeon also stopped.

"I saw Nayeon got interviewed with 3 different hospitals in Japan when she had a break. Is she moving with Sana to Japan then?"

Jeongyeon then looked at Jihyo's eyes and lost her way "What?"

"Oh , you better talk to your wife, Yoo Jeongyeon. Bye," Jihyo then stormed off and left Jeongyeon hanging.

Jeongyeon then searched for Nayeon before she left the building.

"Nayeon-ah" Jeongyeon called for Nayeong who was just updating the chart in the nurse station.

"Oh, Jeong what's wrong?"

"What about Japan?"

"Ah yes, I forgot to tell you! You were right about Sana. That I should be more pro-active, that I have to say what I want. And I took the leap and she finally asked me to join her. I can't wait you know, there's a lot of good opportunities there, in fact, Sana said there's an opening for an attending in the Osaka University Hospital. Jeong, it's Osaka University Hospital, top 10 in the whole world. But there are so many things to figure it out obviously.........." Nayeon explained at a fast speed.

"wait, but Nayeon you have a daughter" Jeongyeon cut her.

"Ah yes, like you said there are so many things I should figure it out, and it's just Japan, you'll be able to visit her anytime you want. Oh crap, I got 911, but we will talk about it okay? Just..........thank you" Nayeon the got paged and she needs to rush.

"What the............" Jeongyeon confused with her statement. 

Jeongyeon and Nayeon, even though they got divorced, they are still friends with each other. Nayeon told Jeongyeon everything. Jeongyeon approved her relationship with Sana because Sana is a very good woman. Nayeon knew Sana since Sana was on her residency rotation too often. After years of knowing her, Nayeon asked the girl out last year. She's a talented resident who has a bright future in medicine. Sana did a lot of research in Neuro since her dream is to become a neurosurgeon. She's a Japanese, graduated from the University of Tokyo, but she spent her residencies here in Seoul. Upon winning an award for the medical journal she wrote, she got offered to do her fellowship at Osaka University Hospital. The hospital is going to grant her fully-funded support for her research.

Nayeon once told Jeongyeon when they were drinking together about Sana's decision to move back to her country and it will make Nayeon sad. Jeongyeon then told Nayeon that she also needs to support Sana's dream. Nayeon is already a renowned surgeon in cardiothoracic and it's time for Sana to shine. It was Yoo Jeongyeon talking in her drunk state, didn't actually believe that Nayeon would take the advice.

Jeongyeon is waiting for Chaeyoung at her apartment. Nayeon said that she would take Chaeyoung to dinner first then drop the girl off to Jeongyeon's house. Jeongyeon sipped her beer in the balcony. She could see Nayeon's car is approaching her apartment building. Sana who's behind the steering wheel is now outside and give Chaeyoung a hug, Chaeyoung smiles at her, Nayeon also looked so happy at the two. Nayeon then told Sana to wait while Nayeon dropped Chaeyoung off to Jeongyeon's apartment. Upon looking at the scene, Jeongyeon could only sigh, a single tear run down to her face. She took a big sigh. 

"I know how bad you feel, you loved this person once, and there's a child, you probably don't wanna hurt them. But let me tell you, one thing that all custody cases in common, is that there is always a battle. Even if you win, you would still feel that you lost something. So are you sure this is the battle you wanna fight?" Ask the lawyer to Jeongyeon.

"My ex-wife wants to move out of the country and take our daughter, so yeah," Jeongyeon said firmly.

----

"Hi!" Nayeon entered the coffee shop.

"Hi! How's everything?"

"We found a home near the hospital, we looked from the web site, great location, and great neighborhood"

"Oh, a home?"

"Yes, 2 bedrooms. Not too big, but a decent one. And it is close to a really greats schools" Nayeon bring out a print out information about the schools.

"Wow, you picked schools?"

"No, I brought this so we could decide, we could talk, about the possibilities"

"So, she's going to school in Japan?" Jeongyeon reconfirmed what she perceived. 

"No, I just inform you, so that we could............."

"Wait" Jeongyeon cuts her."Nayeon let's take a............. I never said that you could take away my daughter outside this country"

"I said that we could talk about it"

"No, what you said is that I'll be able to see her anytime. I'll be able. Sounds like you decided already, Nayeon-ah"

"No, that was......I was just so happy talking to you about that"

"Please, go be happy. I am so happy that you're happy, but don't take my daughter with you"

"Jeong, please stop saying your daughter, she's also mine"

"Yes, she is my daughter, and yours too and she lives here. So, why are we talking about schools, about bedrooms? Why can't she visits you?"

"Oh, that's not............ That's why we are here, we are discussing options here"

"That's not what it sounds like. Nayeon. You can't do this, you don't get to just decide"

"I haven't decided anything, I am trying to talk to you, I am trying to show you choices"

"Oh really, how about my choices then?"

Nayeon is losing words.

"You know what, I need to go, I don't have time for this"

"I want you to look at this"

"No, I don't want to"

By then Jeongyeon left the café and Nayeon alone.

Jeongyeon back at the office with that mood. Sometimes snapped at people who got close to her.

"I don't know Momo, you figure things out by yourself!"

"Whoa slow down, I am just asking you a simple thing godammit"

Jeongyeon then took a deep breath.

"Okay, what's wrong Jeongyeon?" Momo then dropped the report and ask her.

"Nayeon is moving to Japan with her girlfriend and she's trying to take our daughter"

"No "

"She offered me visitation rights to see my own daughter" Jeongyeon then tensed up all over again.

"Well I am sure she didn't mean it that way, Jeongyeon-ah"

"What else did she mean it, my lawyer said that.........."

"Wait, your lawyer? Really?" Momo asking it curiously

"Yes, I have to protect myself Momo"

"Jeongyeon-ah, I know you feel like you do. But you and Nayeon always figure things out together beautifully, so let's just slow down, don't overact"

"Oh, so I am overreacting now?"

Momo took a deep breath as well.

"Chaeyoung is too important for going through like this, Jeongyeon-ah. Please think before you do something that can't be undone, okay?"

"Right, of course"

Jeongyeon sat down and take a deep breath once again. Jeongyeon can't let the thoughts consume her, she needs to work as well. She works for an important organization, she needs to protect another child as well, so much paperwork to do. In between her job, she received a call from someone that made her mood dropped just like that. She can't concentrate the whole day, all she can think now is her daughter and her daughter only.

And it's 10 pm already, she's still in the office.

She's too engaged to her laptop until she heard someone's knocking her office.

It's Nayeon, Jeongyeon took a deep breath and fixed her eyes back to her laptop

She then came to the office and came to Jeongyeon's desk.

"Look, I jumped the gun, I am sorry. I was.................carried away when I first told you and done everything wrong since. Chaeyoung is our girl, and I won't make plans without you, please believe that, Jeongyeon-ah"

Jeongyeon then put down her glasses and looked at Nayeon.

"Osaka International School called me. They talked to me about Cheyoung's application, which they love"

"They called you?"

"So tell me that part again on how are you not making plans without me?"

"You know how things works, there is a waiting list so that I........."

"We're not talking about this anymore"

"Hey, you don't get to decide that. I am going and I don't want to leave Chaeyoung behind, so we're gonna come up with something"

Jeongyeon then pulled out a name card from her drawer.

"Please don't talk to me about it anymore"

"You got a lawyer?" Nayeon saw her in disbelief.

"Yeah, you can talk to her"

"You hired a lawyer?" Nayeon repeated the same questions cause she can't believe what Jeongyeon did

"Yes"

"That was jumping the gun"

"You started this, Im Nayeon " Nayeon knew when Yoo Jeongyeon using her full name means that she's so serious.

----

"My client is prepared to offer scheduled visitation, summer break, Christmas and Seollal" Attorney Lee Dawon, Nayeon's lawyer speaks on the phone.

Bae Eunjung, Jeongyeon's attorney put the speaker on mute.

"That is ridiculous, and she knows it. I won't allow Chaeyoung to fly across the country by herself" Jeongyeon insisted.

"That would be a hard no, Attorney Lee" Bae Eunjung told the other Attorney.

"Hold, please." Lee Dawon asked again.

"We won't go to the court right Ms. Im?" Lee Dawon asked Nayeon

"My friends could testify, we have enough witness," Nayeon said. 

On the other hand, Jeongyeon's attorney also asked the same thing "We have Hirai Momo, she seen me with Chaeyoung a lot, she knows me. She's a good person, she'll tell the truth" Jeongyeon said to the lawyer as well while the phone on hold

"What is your client prepared to offer as an alternative?" Attorney Bae continued the conversation

"Visitation rights for Ms. Yoo on school breaks and summers, and chuseoks" said the Nayeon's attorney

"That puts us right back where we started!" Jeongyeon said it back to her attorney after putting Nayeon's attorney on hold again.

"It's a reasonable compromise" Attorney Lee continued on the phone. 

"Yeah, well, you can take your compromise and shove it up to your..." Jeongyeon said it in anger by herself to the phone. 

"Oh, no. You know what? You can................" Nayeon on the other shout as well.

Both attorneys putting their phone on hold again.

"Ms. Yoo, look at me. We are at an impasse here. If we don't settle, if we go to trial, you risk losing it all. Only one of you is walking out of that court with SOLE custody" Attorney Bae emphasizing on the word 'sole'

Everything would be bad after this.

"I am painfully aware of that" Jeongyeon said while holding her head. She's freaking dizzy right now.

"Then I urge you to consider their offer" Attorney Bae offered.

"BUT, their offer is insulting" Jeongyeon is boiling.

"That would be a hard no" Attorney Bae speaking to Attorney Lee again on the phone.

Both Jeongyeon and Nayeon take a deep breath. They both know now that this is going to be a battle.

Their attorneys also take a deep breath for a moment.

"Attorney Bae?" Attorney Lee called for Jeongyeon's attorney.

"We're here"

"We'll see you in court"

Jeongyeon took a big sigh for the last statement. Nayeon is really dragging this matter to a higher level.

----

"Please pick up Chaeyoung at 15.00, okay? Take her to eat and drive her to the art center, Seoyeon-ah"

"Don't worry Unnie, I'll do that"

"Thank you Seoyeon-ah"

"Does Chaeyoung knows about everything that happens?" Soyeon asked.

Nayeon shooked her head. "We're gonna talk to her after we know exactly what's happening"

The car stops in front of the court.

"Can't believe that you two would go down like this. You are my sister but I always love Jeongyeon Unnie too, you know that right? It's just.............."

"I used to loved her as well, please Seoyeon-ah"

"Okay, okay. I won't say a word about this"

Seoyeon then opened up her seat belt and hug her sister.

"Good luck, Unnie. Whatever happens, I am here for you"

"Thank you"

Nayeon got off from the car and met Sana outside the court building.

----

"Hey, you should take the train, you can't be late" Dahyun told Jeongyeon who's still in the hospital at dawn to check one of the children that Jeongyeon's found in the border days ago.

Jeongyeon succeded to capture child trafficker victims near the border and she saved lots of children that day. She brought the children to the hospital because they were in very poor condition.

"Yeah, I know. I'll leave it to you, Dahyun-ah"

"Hey, you're gonna be okay, Jeong" Dahyun said it while patting Jeongyeon's back.

"Thanks"

By then Jeongyeon took the train from Gyeongsang-do and she went to the city court alone. The courtroom filled with only a few people. Both couple and her attorneys, and both friends as the witness. Nayeon brought her old friend and Sana, while Jeongyeon brought Momo, her boss in the office and Tzuyu, her housemate. Jihyo is also there as the Director of Samseong Medical Center.

Seoul Family Court | 08:30 | Custody Hearing

"We're here today to determine a custody modification of a minor between two divorced parents, Im Nayeon and Yoo Jeongyeon. The trial's witness pool is unusual in that it'll be shared by both parents. The parties have stipulated to call each witness once, at which time, each side will have a chance to examine that witness. If you're testifying, remember...this is not a popularity contest. You are not choosing sides. We're all on the same side...the side of a 14-year-old child" Judge Kim proceed the courtroom with an opening statement.

"Dr. Im, Ms. Yoo, custody hearings are, without exception, very difficult on all parties involved, your daughter included. Things said here will undoubtedly be harsh and cannot be unsaid. I ask this of parents before I begin any custody hearing. Are you both sure you want to proceed?"

"Yes sure, your Honor" Nayeon and Jeongyeon answered it.

"Then this court is now in session to determine sole physical custody of Im-Yoo Chaeyoung!" Gavel bangs 3 times by Judge Kim

----

Seoul Family Court | 08:45 | Nayeon's first witness, Kim Yugyeom

"Dr. Im and I worked on certain projects together. I own a small clinic that gives a free consultation and medication for the elderly who lived in the countryside and as a cardiothoracic surgeon, she helped a lot with that case area. She's a very empathetic person. Big-hearted" Kim Yugyeom, Nayeon's friend from medical school through residency spoke while smiling at Nayeon.

"I see. Has Dr. Im discussed her move to Japan with you?" Attorney Lee asked Yugyeom again.

"She has"

"Did you feel it was a sudden move?"

"Um, well, not for her. I mean, it was sudden because Dr. Minatozaki's schedule determined the move, but for Nayeon, no. This is who she is. She gets thrown a situation... it doesn't daunt her. It inspires her. I've seen it time and time again in the O.R. She just jumps in. And this is no different. She's found a great school for Chaeyoung, and she's making the best of a tough situation with grace. It's something I admire about her"

"No further questions at this time."

Yugyeom smiled again at Nayeon and she replied it with mouthing Thank You to him. 

----

Seoul Family Court | 09:10 | Jeongyeon's first witness, Chou Tzuyu

"You live with Ms. Yoo, aren't you?"

"I rent a room in her house." Chou Tzuyu, Jeongyeon's subordinate testified for her.

"I bet you never expected to be living with a 14-year old kid"

"Yeah, sure. I wasn't, uh, thrilled to be living with a kid, uh, till I started living with one. I had never been around a lot of kids before, but Chaeyoung's a blast. She's so smart and hilarious. I mean, she and her mom are just laughing all the time. Chaeyoung told Jeongyeon everything. The place is so happy. Chaeyoung makes the place happy. We see so much dark stuff every day at work. It's... It's really nice to come home to a happy kid"

"So, would you say you love Chaeyoung?"

"I... I have come to. Yes"

"Great, thank you, Ms. Chou"

Jeongyeon smiled at her housemate.

----

Seoul Family Court | 09:30 | Minatozaki Sana's testimony

"And how long have you known Chaeyoung now?" Attorney Bae cross-examines Nayeon's witness.

"Well, we met a few months ago"

"Oh, and how well would you say you've gotten to know Chaeyoung in the few months that you've spent together, Dr. Minatozaki?

"Very well" Sana answered it confidently.

"Oh, that's good. Would you mind if I ask some questions then?"

"Yeah, shoot"

"What's her favorite color?"

"Purple just like her mom, and black"

"Her favorite artist?"

"Objection. Irrelevant. This isn't a quiz show." Attorney Lee interfered.

"I'm trying to establish the nature of Dr. Minatozaki's relationship with Chaeyoung"

"I'll allow it"

"Her favorite artist is Van Gogh, because she visited the museum once with her moms when she was a little. Her favorite cereal is Froot Loops. Her favorite animal is a small dog, she's afraid of a big dog. Her favorite sea creature is a mermaid. And her bedtime is 10:30 precisely. And her favorite thing to do in the morning is picking out her outfit to match with her doctor marten shoes. You can ask me anything you want"

Sana said it while smiling at Nayeon. Nayeon was almost teary hearing her answer.

Attorney Bae moved to another topic, Sana's fellowship in Japan.

"It's a good thing you did. And your work schedule wil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter