Catch a star

Meet Me Halfway

Before Dahyun could even understand what, the heck was happening, she was being pulled, by some ultra-instinct force she was helplessly pulled in her collar by non-other than the famous devil herself, Minatozaki Sana. No one dared to approach them, not even his new pal Eunwoo, who just looked at her apologetically while waving tirelessly at her retreating figure – now that’s a bummer.

 

She was now just a few more steps away from the exit of the building with Sana – whose name Dahyun learned minutes ago – and before they do, Dahyun starts questioning herself ‘why on earth was she letting this crazy woman pull her like a dog in its leash?’ This dominant roleplay should stop now because she’s Kim Dahyun for goodness’ sake! One of the top students who proudly graduated in Harvard Business School’s MBA program! She was even scouted to work as an intern under Mr. Oh Sehun, also known as ‘Alexander the Great’ of all Men’s clothing brands in New York, Surely now she won’t let a complete stranger whom she just met a few minutes ago, just boss her around, wouldn’t she? Of course not!

 

Apparently Dahyun was so lost in her own world that she didn’t even realize she was already outside of the building, just then fingers started snapping in front of her face – it was from Sana.

 

‘Get ahold of yourself!’

 

“Helloooo! Earth to Kim Dahyun.” Sana once again, forcibly pulls her out, but this time she’s pulled out back to reality.

 

“Wha-What are you doing?” Dahyun swats Sana’s hand away from her shirt’s collar, “Look at what you did to my favorite shirt.”

 

Dahyun fixes her shirt – neatly arranging its crumpled collar hoping that it wouldn’t look too untidy as it already was, after a few caressing she then turns her attention to her tie, her now disheveled tie and tries to knot it back to how it was before Sana ruined it. Sana on the other hand was watching Dahyun attentively, how she re-arranges herself that is.

 

“Leave it be, it’s just one cheap clothing.”

 

“This is my favorite shirt, don’t just casually call it cheap that easily.”

 

“I could buy myself hundreds of those with ten times than its original price!” Sana proudly announced as a matter-of-factly and shifted her body weight to the other leg while crossing her arms mockingly as an attempt to jeer Dahyun’s nerve.

 

But Dahyun just stares at her for a few seconds before looking back to check on herself, dusting off the scruffy parts of her suit then finally, with a very unamused tone she mutters a low, “Oh… Bless your heart.

 

“What?!”

 

“I said good for you.”

 

Both of them stared with great intensity, as if they were battling a game of staring contest by themselves, other people who passed by gave them odd looks for standing in the middle of the sidewalk doing absolutely nothing. Dahyun was starting to get uncomfortable from all the stares the two of them are getting, but still decides to keep going on with the silent game the two unconsciously created. They stayed like that for another few seconds before Sana decides to shift her eyes on the approaching car driving towards them.

 

And oh, dear lord the car looked absolutely expensive.

 

A man – very tall and muscular – in a black suit hurriedly comes out from the car and greets Sana in a heartbeat. Okay so before continuing, Dahyun starts to analyze the situation she most likely did not want, but ended up tangled with, well for now as far as she knows, this Sana chic right beside her is absolutely rich – and hella gorgeous too. It’s just that she looked really cold and mean, as if she was trying to hide something about herself, and made an invisible wall separating her from other people. Now Dahyun is not an expert when it comes to this stuff, but even with the little interaction they both had she knew instantly that this woman is one big trouble, and it would really cause her an headache to stay beside her in the near future, and that is absolutely a big no no when it come to our little white eagle, she would rather have her normal life sipping morning coffee while peacefully walking her way to work, rather than being with someone who kidnaps people – well not really kidnap but drag someone out of the blue while telling them bulls like ‘ You work for me now’ Early in the morning.

 

Stuff like this only happens in movies!

 

And if this is going to be the same as those things that happens in the movies, then Dahyun know what’s about to happen next! Call her geek or something, but with the experience she gained from continuously watching western films during her stay in New York was actually paying off, and it somehow gave her clairvoyance to the way things are about to happen, and right now she is sure that she’ll be dragged in something she’s about to regret her whole life, maybe she’ll end up as cinderella who’d work endlessly under the evil Minatozaki who will most likely treat her like for the rest of her youth, or worst she might end up joining a dangerous yakuza group – because why not? Her imagination is too wide, even she thinks that Sana is a yakuza boss behind that attractive face she wears, and is actually some thug who conquers the street of Seoul at night time.

 

The thought actually scared her, and was ready to decline any gang shiz and stuff Sana might invite her to, when suddenly Sana’s voice brought her back to her senses again.

 

“You’re fired.” Sana says suddenly in a firm, and very bossy tone that it caught both Dahyun and her Driver off guard. “I told you before, if you’re late again I’d fire you right away didn’t I?”

 

“My apologies Miss Minatozaki, the traffic was so bad I-”

 

Sana reaches for her car’s key and threw it to Dahyun, she was very strict when it comes to punctuality since she believes – like others who dislike wasting their time – that ‘Time is Gold’ and well she’s a nice person – she thinks that she is, and actually gave her driver numerous chances before, but it was starting to tick her off of how lax he started to become because of these little considerations she’s been giving, he keeps on apologizing about it, yet still does it, and well since he seemed to have embedded the thought that she’ll forgive him each time, then might as well give him a lesson.

 

“Drive me back to my office.” Sana steadily walks her way to the passenger’s seat with her hand still motioning her now former driver to get lost.

 

That didn’t seat well with Dahyun, but she decides that it’s not her business to pry further and just gave the bewildered driver a sympathetic nod before glaring at Sana.

 

“Drive you? With this?” Dahyun’s eyebrow climbed up in surprise.

 

“Don’t make me repeat what I just said smart .” Sana says in gritted teeth.

 

Dahyun just let out a sigh and stares at her for a moment before saying, “Right, sorry your highness.”

 

So much for her first day.

 

 

“So how was it?” Chaeyoung eyed Dahyun curiously who slouched down the couch the moment she arrived, looking tired and gloomy.

 

“How was what?” Dahyun could barely speak through her muffled voice as she buries her face in one of the little pillows of the couch.

 

“Work. How was work?”

 

Earlier that morning, Dahyun was extremely high-spirited and jumpy while telling her housemate how excited she was to attend her first day at work, and that she could barely contain her excitement as she gave Chaeyoung an ear-to-ear grin. Now she wished she that she could show her the same excitement she had this morning, but she couldn’t. Afterall, things went through a complete turn when this random woman, Minatozaki Sana shows up and started claiming her. It didn’t get any better after she got bossed around to drive in different places all around the city just to briefly discuss about one thing, then suddenly move to another. In addition to her very grumpy attitude, Dahyun could say her first day was terrible.

 

“T’was okay…”

 

“You don’t really make it sound like it was okay.”

 

“T’was okay.” Dahyun repeats, but this time she raises her right hand doing and ‘ok’ sign with her fingers, still pretty much lazily laying in the couch.

 

Chaeyoung emerges from the kitchen, still wearing her apron with little animated tiger cubs imprinted on it, and looked at Dahyun with outmost confusion, but decides to shrug off the lack of enthusiasm from her roommate, instead, she removes the apron she’s wearing – neatly folding it before placing it on top of the counter before whacking Dahyun’s foot – earning a loud whine from the eagle – away from the end of the cramped furniture to create a small space for her to sit in.

 

“How about you? How’s the café?” Dahyun whips her face from the face-deflated-pillow, curiously tuning in to what Chaeyoung’s reply would be, hoping to somehow drift her away from the earlier topic.  

 

“Hmm… you know, so-and-so” The younger replied, reaching for one of the magazines found on their coffee table and started skimming through the pages of the scented sheet.

 

“I need to know more than that .”

 

“Then why don’t you go try and visit sometimes asshat.”

 

Dahyun continued to watch her quietly, slowly finding solace from the comfortable silence between them. A half smile etched on her white face, the two of them were already buddies for as long as she could remember, having each-others back since diapers, and Dahyun took great pride in that. In their friendship. It might be a bit embarrassing for her to admit, but she really treasures her little cub like a real sister, and she knows the feeling is mutual. The two were practically soulmates! Like peanut butter and jelly kind of soulmate!

 

A wide grin soon appears on Dahyun’s face, placing her feet on top of the cub’s lap. “I will, you big baby.”

 

“Yeah yeah…” Chaeyoung replied simply, letting Dahyun freely wiggle her tootsie on her lap while she busied herself reading or rather skimming through the pages of the magazine, she somehow finds herself stopping when a certain page caught her attention.

 

“Sometimes I wonder how it feels to be super rich.”

 

“You probably get to have absolutely everything.” Dahyun chuckled.

 

“You do get everything… hear this.” Chaeyoung starts to read an article in the magazine, Dahyun doesn’t really care, but still pays half her attention to her friend. “–continues to build their name with a growing dynasty ahead, as the youngest daughter of one of the well-known faces in the business industry builds her own empire with a new clothing brand.”

 

Dahyun hums in response, fake listening as she stood up and started stretching to wake her sleeping muscles, she first had her head squarely aligned over her straight back and shoulders.

 

“One of the youngest known female CEO owning a brand with a net worth estimated to be $22.7 billion, making her one of the richest women in the world.”

 

Slowly, Dahyun stretches her head to her right, in the side of her neck and shoulder.

 

“Placing on number 76 from the world’s 100 most powerful woman.”

 

Dahyun turns her head to the side.

 

“Minatozaki Sana.”

 

A loud crack.

 

“Dahyun!”

 

 

Dahyun walked in to what it seems like the tallest building in Seoul – still suffering from a stiff neck because of yesterday evening. The wall was a lot fancier, and it felt like the lights inside gleamed brighter and much more blinding than the sun outside. The place was twice as big as the building she entered yesterday – no more white light passing through stained glasses as they were sun-proof, the flooring wasn’t marbled anymore but polished stones, just like those similar ones in Japanese architecture. And the place was filled with bamboos, it may seem a little off, but strangely enough it compliments the place quite well. Just like how the things doubled up in size, so did the mass of people around, the lounge area was spacious enough to cater even a wedding, and the employees of the building looked much more refined; much more professionals. Big sweat trickled down from Dahyun’s forehead to her jaw, despite the cold temperature since there are large air condition everywhere, she felt extremely hot, maybe because she was a bit nervous.

 

A scoff, nervous of what?

 

Her auto-pilot self kicked in and then she started waltzing in the building, successfully blending with the crowd to not attract attention as possible. Her hand swiveled shakily at the button of her suit, she busied herself on glancing anywhere but anyone’s eyes, and if caught, she’ll give a forced tight-lipped smile. She was really good in interacting with people definitely, but today wasn’t just it, everything felt forced and rushed then suddenly she doesn’t know a thing anymore, she doesn’t even have a clue why a person like Sana would even hire her as her secretary, that’s blasphemy!

 

Finally, for what seem like ages she finally reached the main desk, all the voice practice she did while on her way to the desk all gone and then suddenly her mind is as blank as an untouched canvas. ‘I don’t know what to say!’

 

“Good morning!” The woman behind the desk greeted with a smile, rather than easing up the tofu’s nerves, it just made her even more nervous, “How may I help you?”

 

“Right… uhm I’m- I mean my name is Dahyun.” She groaned and cringed at her ability to make things insanely awkward, and what a skill it is to be able to embarrass herself without even trying.

 

‘Well good job you idiot.’

 

“Kim Dahyun?” The woman mumbled, contemplating as to where she heard the name while examining the latter’s face, after a while her scrunched up confused face quickly turned into the brightest smile, as soon as she had realized something very important. “The new secretary, right?”

 

“Wait no not the new secretary actually I-”

 

Dahyun was cut off immediately before even getting the chance to speak for herself, it seems so that the people working here is just as shameless as their damn boss. ‘Give me a break.’

 

“I’ve been waiting for you secretary Kim, please follow me.”

 

‘Dear lord please kill me now’

 

 

“You’re late, and it’s you first day.” Sana narrows her eyes at Dahyun, her lips slightly twitching in annoyance.

 

“I-”

 

I didn’t come here to work as your secretary.

 

“And I clearly told you yesterday to throw those cheap shoes, away didn’t I?”

 

 “Well-”

 

“And that shirt looks absolutely dreadful.”

 

 Let me talk you goddamn witch!

 

Dahyun kept tightly shut, she’ll just get cut-off anyway like how everyone does to her in this goddamn building. Instead she had stayed still, like a very out of place statue inside the luxurious office, in front of, well duh, the one and only, fresh from the market, and already furious ape herself, tyrant Minatozaki.

 

“Aren’t you going to say anything?”

 

What the–

 

“Miss Minatozaki I-”

 

“You got some nerve talking back at me.” Sana exhales furiously yet calmly. Dahyun didn’t know whether to laugh or cry because of this woman, she can’t tell if she’s kidding or what and was absolutely confused on how the hell, she pissed Sana off badly.

 

‘Dear God this woman is bipolar I tell you.’

 

Dahyun closed her eye, she takes a sharp intake of breath. Patience, she needed patience because if not then the restraints she had to not go and batista bomb Sana right here and there would all be put to waste, she’ll just give Sana an R.K.O in her dreams later tonight, but for now patience. She needed it now more than ever, and thank god for giving her lots of it. Dahyun massaged the tip of her nose to somehow calm her down – a habit she created to somehow relieve herself from stressful things, and yes that incudes Sana now, she really needs to get away from Minatozaki and ASAP.

 

“Miss Minatozaki, with all due respect, I’m here to tell you that I’m not here to work as your secretary, I already have one that I’m pretty excited for, I’m just here to hand you this.” Without second thoughts, she quickly hands Sana a white envelope, her resignation letter and yes, she’s not even employed yet.

 

Sana looks at her with an unreadable expression, her face softens and her eyes darts back to the paper works in front of her.

 

“Okay”

 

‘Well that was easy.’ Dahyun grins in delight.

 

Dahyun fixed her suit, straitening by pulling it by its hem. “Great, I’ll be taking my leave.”

 

“But wait…” Sana looks at Dahyun straight at the eyes, piercing Dahyun with her gaze, and then a smirk. A cold rush of blood pumped straight to every nerves of her body. “Help me with something first.”

 

“U-Uhm,” Dahyun unintentionally blinks a lot more than usual. “Okay I guess…”

 

“Great”

 

Dahyun hears Sana repeat her words with the same enthusiasm she had earlier, sickeningly it felt quite off and alarming. But maybe she’s just digging to deep into this, despite the very suspicious ‘Help me with something first’ request coming from Sana, she decides to brush it off as if it was nothing, but then her eyes caught those deviously sweet smile, Dahyun starts to think that maybe she’s not digging to deep, who knows, maybe she’s digging up her own grave.

 

 

“Help me clear up clear up all the things that I have to do for the rest of this week, do that within two days and you’re good to go.”

 

Dahyun collapses on the couch inside Sana’s office, tired and miserable. She had her hair tied up in a ponytail, her suit was left down in polished wooden floor together with mound stacks of paper. The sleeves of her shirt were roughly albeit messily folded all the way to her elbow. She wasn’t even close to finishing everything and she was already dead flat on the couch. Sana was out to who knows where and now she’s left inside the office doing works of what a secretary was supposed to do! And to make it worse she had to narrow down a seven-day work in two days!

 

‘That sly butthole’

 

“Arrange my schedule for the rest of the year.”

 

“I’m expecting to receive a very important call, don’t you dare miss it.”

 

“I have three upcoming meetings scheduled for this week, make sure to look into those.”

 

“You see those stacks of papers over there? Arrange those by year and sort out the things that I have to prioritize this week.”

 

“It never ends!” Dahyun whined, feeling a little lightheaded, her fatigue was finally catching up sinking her further to the warmth of the couch. It was getting late, she needs to go home, Chaeyoung must’ve been worried of her by now, but her worn out self was winning her over, she was exhausted, maybe, just maybe. “Maybe a short nap won’t hurt a little…” She mumbles before finally delving her way to dreamland.

 

 

“You better be done with everything.” Sana walks inside her office, a plastic full of take-outs in one hand with a box of coffee in the other.

 

Right away, she noticed Dahyun peacefully sleeping in the couch, she looked very serene, and less annoying than she did earlier. There was little moon light peeking through curtains of the window and a little bit of it trickled solemnly in Dahyun’s face. Sana stopped walking and just looked at the sleeping figure for a moment. Was she too hard? She really didn’t mean to be that harsh, it was just that she felt extremely curious about Dahyun’s capability that she started challenging her, and the younger was even a fool enough to bite right into it. She did intend to let her go, after all Sana didn’t want someone who’ll do things half-heartedly or felt forced by anything, but then there’s something about Dahyun that made it hard for her to let the girl go. What it was? She wasn’t entirely sure either.

 

She went to her desk, promptly placing those in her hand on the table, it wasn’t until she got closer to the desk that she realized the stack of papers neatly place on her desk. Her eyes suddenly fixated on a bright pastel colored dog sticky note on top of the stack.

 

“Meeting on Thursday, don’t forget to ask about to shoots!”

 

Without even realizing it, a smile crinkled its way on her usually thin lined lips.

 

“You really are my cup of tea.”

 

And god that took a lot of time to write! Nah just kidding, just got back from vacation hehe, are we going to fast or what? Let me know what you guys think! Anyway, merry Christmas Everyone! I hope you have a good year a head of you!