Chapter 1

RunningToTheWorld


Everyday was the same for Son Hyejoo in XX Testing Facility: draw blood samples, eat, record weight, transform, run tests, lift weights or punch bags, eat, sleep, rinse and repeat.

"Transform." Dr. Ha gently ordered, unconsciously tapping his pen against the paper sitting on his clipboard.

Without a word, Hyejoo transformed into a fearful wolf with a shiny silver coat, dark brown eyes filled with hatred and anger.

Like always, the wolf was at gunpoint, guards surrounding her with the barrels of their rifles aimed at the beast while the researcher recorded the same old statistics he always records; telling Hyejoo to step onto the scale and to stand up straight while adjusting the height sliders.

Before she even knew it, Hyejoo was back in her cell, staring at the wall, too awake to sleep but too exhausted to eat.

She was empty and tired of everything.

That is, until a small blonde prisoner had come along the next day. Normally, Hyejoo would beat any other prisoner up a bit and make them scared until they were taken out of her holding cell, but today she decided to sit in her little corner and see how things played out.

Big mistake.

Despite being terrified of where she was and who these people were after being grabbed from the streets, the blonde's eyes softened at the sight of the raven haired girl staring back at her from the corner of the ominous cell. For some reason, she had this dark grey bushy tail accompanied by noticeable wolf ears perched atop her head. Rushing forward, the small blonde poked one of the ears.

"The are you doing?" The wolf hybrid lifted an eyebrow, slightly amused at this prisoner's antics.

"Are they real?" She tilted her head, feeling a little more comfortable with the unfamiliar beast in front of her.

"What do you think?" Hyejoo raised an eyebrow, ears fluttering.

"It's cute. You're cute." The prisoner grinned, petting Hyejoo's head.

"Get your hands off me, human," Hyejoo growled, pushing the small girl off of her and standing up, towering over her, "How are you gonna get pushed into my cell and start petting me and playing with my damn ears? Do I look like a mutt to you?"

"Sorry... I just.. I've never seen anything like it before," The blonde silently hung her head, clearly too sensitive to be in this brutal research facility.

"Dr. Ha, get this one out of here, I've had enough for today." Hyejoo scoffed, studying the prisoner in front of her who had remained silent after her small outburst.

"Very well," Dr. Ha's voice crackled over the intercom, "Thank you for cooperating today, Hyejoo."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Hyejoo waved her hand around, sitting back down in the corner of her cell.

Handcuffed, the small prisoner was roughly forced out of the cell, shooting Hyejoo a saddened look before she was pushed through the doorway to the direction of her own cell.

Quietly, Dr. Ha swiftly walked into Hyejoo's cell after the girl and a few guards walked out. Clearing his throat, The gentle researcher tapped his clipboard and spoke,

"Now, Hyejoo, tomorrow you'll be able to talk to the new prisoner in private. You two need to get acquainted since you'll be seeing each other frequently for further tests," Dr. Ha looked at the exhausted hybrid sitting on the bed, clearly unamused, "Copy?"

"Sure."

"Thank you once more, Hyejoo, we'll see you soon in the morning." Dr. Ha nodded before walking out, guard slamming the cell door shut and locking it before following the researcher's steps.

—-

"Yerim!" Jungeun called out, picking up a dirty sock from the hallway floor, walking into Yerim and Yeojin's room, hands on her hips.

A fruit bat flew in through the opened window frame and landed on the floor, Yerim suddenly appearing in place of the bat.

"What's up?" Yerim grinned, stretching her arms.

"Stop leaving your damn socks everywhere before I throw your entire wardrobe away," Jungeun scolded, throwing the sock at Yerim's face before walking out of the bat hybrid's room, "Come down for dinner!"

Tossing the sock onto her bed, Yerim ran out of her shared room into the kitchen. It was dinner time at Jungeun and Jinsol's mansion, 9 girls gathering around the dinner table and taking their spots.

"What's up, boomers." Yeojin smirked before sitting down in her usual spot, aggressively slamming her small hands on the table like the little obnoxious orphan she was.

"Stop saying that, Yeo, before I take your ing phone away and deactivate your Twitter account." Hyunjin glared before biting into a loaf of bread, cat ears fluttering in satisfaction at the familiar taste.

"Okay, boomer."

"You little-"

"Both of you stop fighting! Yeojin stop saying that wack and Hyunjin sit down and eat your ing bread before I cut off your tail!" Sooyoung suddenly yelled, the two bickering girls instantly sitting down, grumbling curses.

"What she said!" Jiwoo, Sooyoung's girlfriend, repeated after her before disappearing into the kitchen to bring more food to the table; causing Sooyoung to shake her head and smile before taking her own seat and joining the ongoing conversation at the table.