Chapter 1 - A Trip To The Carnival

Love Potion No. 9
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a warm Wednesday evening and a festive one for many, as tonight was the first night the carnival was in town. It was an old fashioned country fair type carnival with rides, games, all the trappings of a typical Midwest country fair.

Irene insisted up and down that they go the first night. In fact, she held her breath until everyone agreed. So the whole group piled into two cars and went. The air was warm and filled with the sounds of laughter and music from the carousel. A soft breezed blew the smell of hot salted peanuts and freshly popped popcorn down the long midway. The group, even Jennie, was having a good time.

Seulgi had spent 40 dollars at a midway dart-throwing fame and won Irene a sizable stuffed bear. Lisa didn't even have the heart to tell her that the stuffed Bear probably would have cost her 5 dollars at the local toy store. In any case, Irene was happy, with her new stuffed bear and loads of cotton candy she was presently consuming. 

Lisa was having fun with the various rides. Hanbin and Jennie were having a good time as well. With his arm around her shoulder, the couple lazily walked down the midway seeing what there was to see.

Lagging slightly behind was Chaeyoung, having a decent time but bothered by one thing. The simple fact that Hanbin's arm was around Jennie and not her. Chaeyeoung honestly wanted to be everyone's friend. She even wanted to be Jennie's friend. Though the tempered cat-like eyed girl rarely showed any regard for her. But with Hanbin she wanted to be more than a friend. She wanted to be Hanbin's girlfriend but, Hanbin was in love with Jennie and Chaeyoung sadly accept the hand that fate had dealt out.

As she was walking behind the group, by chance, she spotted what appeared to be an old fashioned gypsy wagon tucked neatly behind the midway. On the side a large banner said.

"Madam Roux - Fortunes told, Potions sold, see or change your destiny"

Chaeyoung thought how fun it would be to have her fortune told so she called out.

"Hey, I'm going to have my fortune told, anyone, want to come with me?" Chaeyoung said pointing to the wagon.

"Hey Park, if you're going to be so gullible to give money away that easy, then won't you give me some," Jennie said acidly.

"I'll go," said the slightly hyper Irene.

So the pair ran to the gypsy wagon where a young girl with wavy dark hair and typical gypsy clothes sat outside the wagon.

"I'd like my fortune told, is Madame Roux around?" Chaeyoung said, with a half giggle.

The girl looked at her with a broad smile. "I'm her granddaughter, Kathy. She's not around but, I'd be happy to read your fortune. She taught me everything she knows. I'll even give you a half-off discount of any of our potions."

"Sold."

The gypsy girl-led Chaeyoung and Irene into the wagon wherein the center of the small room was a round table with a black tablecloth. On the table sat a large crystal ball. All around the room, there were pieces of gypsy art, bottles with unknown substances in them. The whole place looked straight out of an old movie.

"Sit, please." The gypsy girl said, pointing to two chairs in front of the table as she sat behind it.

"So where do you go to school?" The gypsy girl asked.

"Seoul's Arts High," Irene answered.

"How much is it?" Chaeyoung asked.

"10 dollars but you can pay me when it's done. You may want to buy one of our potions or charms. All very real, and quite powerful," The girl said in a smooth voice.

Chaeyoung nodded with a smile, it seemed like it was all in good fun. "Okay, read my fortune."

The gypsy girl looked at Chaeyoung with a rather mysterious look. "Ok, Miss what is your name?"

"I'm Park Chaeyoung and this is my friend Irene."

The woman asked Chaeyoung to put out her hands which she carefully examined. She said something in what sounded like Hungarian as she waved her hands. The girl pulled out a deck of Tarot cards and had Chaeyoung touch the deck.

With an amused expression, Chaeyoung watched as the woman placed down 3 cards and then looked into the crystal ball.

She turned a card which was "The sun."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter