© ZERO

After Office • 직장에서...

This is surreal.

A week ago, all I had for breakfast everyday was a half packet of ramyun. The other half I would leave for me to cook for dinner. There had been days I'd lie awake hungry at two in the morning, wishing I had more money to spare for a real meal with hot rice, meat, and side dishes. I starved myself in order to save money on transportation and preparation for interviews at a nearby academy for unemployed youth. Half a year of struggling, jumping from one part-time job to another, and my time has come.

I'm finally employed!

▲ ▲ ▲

"You got the job?!"

"I did!"

"Yooooooooo! That's sick! Congrats!"

"Haha! Thanks, Jungkook-ah."

Jungkook, a long time friend who I consider as a brother, is on the other line. I called him the moment I received the e-mail from Behind The Scenes, Inc.

It reads...

Mr. Park Jimin, 

We are pleased to inform you that you have passed all stages of recruitment at our company, Behind The Scenes, Incorporated. We'd like to invite you on the 15th of November, 2019, for the signing of your contract. Once signed, you agree to start your employment on the 1st of December 2019. 

Attached herewith is a copy of the job offer with compensation and benefits for your information.

We are glad you chose our company for your future.

Warm Regards, 

Kim Namjoon
Head, Human Resources

I am beyond ecstatic. The fact that I passed all of the interviews, with initimidating eyes staring down at me while I answered. Although I stuttered, they still liked me! Why did they choose me? 

"Are you seriously thinking about that, Jimini-hyung? You gotta stop doubting yourself. You got in 'cause they think you'll do well!"

"You think so?"

"Yeah, man!"

"Thanks, Kook-ah. Hey, you ready for your finals?"

"I'm ready to die, that's what!"

I snort from laughing too hard from Jungkook's comment. The poor kid's a couple of years younger and in his final year at University and he continues to struggle with exams. But the fact that he passes all his subjects with flying colors shows how much of a genius he truly is-- opposite of what I am.

"How were the interviews? Anyone that scared you?"

"There was one."

"Oooh. Was it some old man in his seventies? Did he make comments about your piercings?"

"On the contrary, no one made a comment on my piercings. But the one who scared me wasn't an old man."

"Really? Then what kind of person was he?"

What kind of person? 

The kind who would stare at you with piercing eyes as if you had wronged him, hair dyed to the color of his jacket, and a face expressionless that I can only imagine he's thinking murder. His name is--

"Min Yoongi??? THE MIN YOONGI???"

"Dude, would you like to wake up your parents with that voice?"

"Hyung, isn't he the youngest Director at BTS, Inc.?!"

"Yes. I did my research."

Min Yoongi, 26-years old. The youngest Director at the web design company. He developed a web design software akin to Adobe at age 20, and sold it for half a billion won by the time he was 23. He invested his money in BTS, Inc. and now owns a 25% stake at the Big Hit Family Corporation, becoming the youngest stockholder and director in Korea with a Net Worth of 2 Billion Korean Won. His genius in software development is sought after by other companies, making him an in-demand asset to the web design and developmet industry. 

Although he's a tech genius, he's infamous for being demanding, strict, emotionless, and work-obsessed.

He was one of the Seniors at the panel. A young face amongst a sea of older ones. He had little interest in being in that interview panel yet I saw him scribble notes the entire time I was in the room being interview. He never let down his pen, but only for a moment. When I was asked a question, I spoke with a shaky voice and nerves written all over me but I calmed down and gave an answer which I practiced. 

I may have been looking at another panel member while answering, I felt Min Yoongi stab me with his striking eyes. It's as if he was throwing daggers at me with just a look. I felt even more nervous.

I honestly thought I failed the interview because the other two beside me answered with grace and eloquence and confidence in their voice. I sounded like a chipmunk waiting to be slaughtered by predators. 

Yet, I got in. 

"You gotta tell me how it goes, Hyung. When you start on your first day, give me a call, alright?"

"Yeah yeah, I got it. Start studying, imbicile."

"Hey! I'm gonna get another A. Just you wait."

"Sure, haha."

He hangs up the phone and I fall back on my bed with a sigh of relief. 

I just have to wait for December 1 to start my new life as an employee. 

My adventure is about to begin.

▲ ▲ ▲

Hi guys! I'm back with a YoonMin collection of stories! This isn't a series, although it may seem like it. I just want it to be a short story collection. Everything is going to be a one-shot. But if chapters are better, I may change it. 

I hope you enjoy! Leave a comment below on what you'd like to happen! Maybe you have a one-shot idea? Let me know! <3