D - While You Were Sleeping (2017)

Korean Drama and KPOP Reviews & Recommendations

Related image

Title: While You Were Sleeping

Genre: Romance, Fantasy, Thriller, Legal Drama
Year Released: 2017
Episodes: 32 
Duration: 30 minutes

 

Main Cast:

Image result for while you were sleeping kdrama Bae Suzy as Nam Hongjoo

Lee Jongsuk as Jung JaechanRelated image

Image result for while you were sleeping kdrama hanwootak episode 2Jung Haein as Han Wootak

Lee Sangyeob as Lee YoobeomImage result for while you were sleeping kdrama lee yoobum

 

Synopsis

(Retrieved from Wikipedia):

While You Were Sleeping is a combination of the legal drama and fantasy genres, focusing on the tale of three young adults who have acquired the ability to see the future through their dreams: field reporter Nam Hong-joo (Bae Suzy), rookie prosecutor Jung Jae-chan (Lee Jong-suk), and police officer Han Woo-tak (Jung Hae-in). Some of these dreams show crimes that Jae-chan has to investigate and disastrous events that either the three of them have to suffer. Troubled by these dreams, the trio collaborate with each other to prevent these ominous dreams from turning into reality and to take down one of their archenemies, the corrupt lawyer Lee Yoo-beom (Lee Sang-yeob).

 

Trailer

 

Websites you can watch it on:

Viki.com (put every two episodes together for a total of 16 episodes)

Gooddrama.net

Dramacool9.co

If you want to check out the first 4 episodes, you can do so here: ">YouTube

Review:

       I was excited for While You Were Sleeping to come out because I truly enjoyed Suzy as an actress despite all the hate she received. I love legal dramas in general. The first two episodes instantly pulled me in. Never once was I bored. The romance was just enough. The suspense was always putting me on the edge of my seat. The writing of this drama was just simply perfect. I had actually enjoyed the scenes where the actors were being "over the top" even when I'm actually usually cringing at the sight of those scenes.

       The plot twists were unpredictable and several scenes had me crying. I could relate to all the characters, meaning they were written quite well. Every time I thought something bad would happen, it didn't and I was just truly greatful for that. I don't have much to say because this drama was just a masterpiece that needs to be watched by many. I even had my friend hooked with just the first four episodes after she had sworn off Korean dramas. She then finished it all within the next two days. 

       Suzy's acting again didn't fail me. I know that there are some scenes in which she could have done better, but this drama was just a hit. I loved her character, and I loved how she protrayed her, especially after she started to (not a spoiler), go back to work. Honestly, I was never a huge fan of Lee Jongsuk, but I love several of the dramas he stared in. He is a good actor, but I know he could do better, but this drama did make me like him a lot more! Lee Sangyeob was a new face for me, and he completely blew me away with his acting and character. Sangyeob is the antagonist in this drama, and man, he makes a great one! Jung Haein was also a new face for me, and he made me fall in love with his character. I felt so bad for him in this drama. The one thing that I did find kind of awkward with the drama though was something that had to do with Haein's character. I don't want to spoil it, but let's just say, I thought the "problem/secret" was going to be more dire that it was.

       If this drama was a book, it would be a definite page turner. You always want to know what's going to happen next, and I think that's one of the most important things in a drama or movie itself. There have been several dramas in which I've watched a few of the first episodes, stopped, and went back to watch the final episode after it was released, either because it was extremely predictable or just plain boring. This drama is one of the very few that had made the list in which I've watched every single episode without skipping a single second.

       Seriously. If you haven't watched it, go on and click on one of the links above!