From Deception to Devotion: The Diamonds, Adora, Perfuma, and Challenges in Japan

From Deception to Devotion: The Diamonds, Adora, Perfuma, and Challenges in Japan

Having returned to Beach City, Steven, Connie, Greg, Pearl, and Adora were beat. Suddenly, they saw a flash of light in the sky emanating from a red teardrop-shaped craft,the Roaming Eye. Steven moaned, not wanting to deal with any problems, assuming this was another issue his mom had caused, having to clean up her messes…again.

The ship landed in front of the Beach House. The main door opened to reveal three Ruby soldiers: “Doc”, “Army”, and “Leggy”. While “Eyeball” and “Navy” had been with them last time, they sat in a Homeworld jail with Jasper, Aquamarine, and others who attempted a rebellion against Steven. While Blue, Yellow, and White Diamond had their reservations about Steven, these Gems were arrested because the Diamonds feared such sentiments could spread across Homeworld, causing unnecessary fissures.

“My Diamond! We are here to give you a message from our radiant luminaries.

‘Please, call me Steven. I have Pink Diamond’s Gem, but I am not her. I am my own person.

‘As you will, my liege. In any case, we would like to issue a new Diamond Communicator. Not only is there a saved message on it, but it can be used to contact Blue, Yellow, and White Diamond on Homeworld.

‘Thanks, Doc. I see that Army and Leggy are also here. What about Eyeball and Navy? Why didn’t they come?

‘They are in jail…for fomenting an uprising…against you. After the bold act on Homeworld, standing up to the Diamonds, many see you as a hero…however some don’t like the changes that have come about. Aquamarine and Jasper are also in jail and are being watched around the clock to prevent any escapes.

‘That is intense! I appreciate such candor because I don’t hear from the Diamonds anymore…maybe the communicator will change this.

The Ruby soldiers bowed toward Steven, annoying him with their politeness and reverence usually reserved for a member of royalty. Waving goodbye, they jettisoned off into space in the Roaming Eye, speeding back to Homeworld. The whole incident had been strange, almost like the Rubies wanted to leave quick enough to hide something.

Steven the Diamond Communicator. While Greg slept on the couch inside the Beach House, Pearl, Adora, and Connie watched it with him. The Diamonds began speaking.

“Steven! This is Blue, Yellow, and White Diamond. We are sorry we can’t be there in person, but there are these pink monsters on Homeworld that are turning everything into candy…we have contained and quarantined them, but their presence is becoming a nuisance. We thought you’d be able to help us with this dilemma.”

The message ended. Adora commented that these pink beings sounded like the same ones that had landed in Yokohama, Japan back in mid-April. Everyone else concurred. What no one guessed was that the Diamonds concocted this message as a hoax, constructing it based on their spies on Earth, specifically among the uncorrupted Nephrites. They wanted more attention from Steven, plain and simple, since he reminded them of Pink.

Back on Homeworld, the Rubies arrived in the Diamond throne room. Doc, Army, and Leggy bowed. The Diamonds eagerly awaited their report.

“My Diamonds. We gave the Diamond Communicator to Steven Universe on the planet Earth as instructed, lying about “changes” on Homeworld, although we told the truth about the “rebellious” Gems. If there is anything else you’d like us to do, we will happily oblige.

‘No, that will be all.

‘As you wish, my illustrious Diamonds.

The Rubies departed the room, returning to the planet’s manufacturing facilities, to complete the repairs on the ships damaged during the fight with the Horde Fleet. New ships would also be built. While Steven may have thought the Diamonds changed, they wanted to maintain their standing in the universe instead. Another battle always remained on the horizon, although the fleet would soon leave the Homeworld orbit so that when Steven arrived, it didn’t seem like the war machine still was humming. Yellow Pearl approached her Diamond and bowed.

‘My exquisite Diamond. Our scans have showed a habitable planet that seems like Earth but has advanced technology. According to our probes, they have one united world government headed by someone called a “President.” It could prove to be a suitable colony.

‘Yellow Pearl, is the planet currently inhabited? Fighting any sort of resistance on the planet could complicate plans to make it a province of our grand empire.

‘Well…my Diamond, those who live on the planet are easily scared and simple to control. We know this thanks to our scouring of the libraries and archives of the planet for previous activity of those who live there at the present time.

‘I would like to add something…my elegant Diamond.

‘Go ahead, Blue Pearl.

‘Please don’t get angry…but I’d like to draw an illustration.

‘Oh! You’ve never shared these talents with us…feel free to express yourself openly.

Blue Pearl, often seen as shy and quiet, proceeded to draw the Earth, presenting a possible route for invasion. She also drew an illustration of what a blockade around the planet would look like after a successful invasion. Blue Diamond smiled with glee.

“What a brilliant idea! With this strategy, the planet could easily be secured.

‘My eminent Diamond, I am gracious to hear such praise, my eminent Blue Diamond.

Back in Beach City, Steven stared aimlessly across the ocean, unsure of what he had observed. Even after all the destruction they had wrought on the universe, he believed the Diamonds were sincere. Despite that, he couldn’t understand why the Diamonds wanted his help. Pearl and Adora had left, dancing on the beach together, trying to not think about the message. Connie leaned in and attempted to reassure him.

“Steven? Are you ok?...don’t take what the Diamonds said too hard.

‘I’m not. I don’t get why they contacted me. Can’t they solve their own problems? Aren’t they overlords anyway? They are so many times more powerful than me.

‘But…what about…

‘Steven is right. I’d never support those upper crusts for one second.

‘Bih…have you been listening this whole time?

‘Yeah…I’m bummed that Lapis and Peri are living in Japan now…I’ve lost a sense of purpose. I was fixing up their Peri-Shack to turn it into a proper house…what’s the point of that now? Both left to stay with their new friends, that purple-haired lady…pink-haired lady…and that monkey.

‘Lapis and Peri made their choice and we should respect it.

‘I know, Steven. It’s depressing.

‘I agree, but…let’s move onto something more productive…what should we do about this message? Should we all travel to Homeworld?

‘No, no, no! The last time, White Diamond took over Garnet, Pearl, Amethyst, Pearl, Blue Diamond, and Yellow Diamond, turning them into automatons.

‘I remember…In any case, we would need a rocket to get there.

‘I’ll build it!

‘Pearl, without the help of Peri, we can’t do it…

‘I can plan and organize the rocket’s construction!

‘But…Adora, building things isn’t your forte despite a love of strategizing and planning.

‘That’s true…

‘Why don’t we help unite this planet first and worry about those snobby Diamonds later? They can wait...even if they are “family.”

‘Amethyst, that plan is a great one! Adora, Pearl, and Bih…work on building this rocket…while the rest of us help bring the world together.

‘Why don’t we work on it as one? Nothing can hold back the Crystal Gems!

‘Exactly! Whether Lapis or Peri help us is their choice, but we can still bring turn the world into one collective unit…united against any threat!

‘Sounds great, let’s convene tomorrow…in the Beach House.

‘I’ll bring shots of vodka!

‘Adora, what is it about you and vodka? After meeting that woman in Japan, Mimi, this habit started. Enough is enough!

‘Yeah, yeah, yeah, I read that message loud and clear…I want to explore the world, experience everything!...I was trying to make a joke. It seemed funny to me.

‘Adora, your jokes need a lot of work.

Shelving plans to go to Homeworld, for the time being, the Gem decided to aid Earth first. This involved checking all the warp pads for any activity. Adora and Pearl warped around the world, going from places as diverse as the Strawberry Battlefield, the Prime Kindergarten, the Galaxy Warp, and the Ancient Sky Arena. Steven, Connie, Amethyst, and Garnet traveled to the Moon Base using Lion, while Bih sat back at the Beach House, relaxing. Skidding across the floor, they surveyed the base, silent and abandoned. As the everyone else walked up to the third floor, Steven stayed on the second floor. Curious, Steven touched the observation orb, remembering how Lapis had brought it up before. He gazed at an image that made his cheeks turn as red as radishes: Adora holding Pearl in her arms, with a smooch on the lips. He knew both had a steady relationship, but never knew they were so intimate. He said “awe” under his breath. Without warning, Adora broke into song. Steven scrambled to turn off the orb but failed miserably. Her words blaring across the base as she sung her heart out:

‘Pearl, I wanna weep with you.

Sob tears so you aren’t blue

 

I wanna grin with you

Come together in the perfect glue.

 

I wanna find the tune which tells of our love

Since, it’s all for you, my dove.

 

I know myself best

But I’m choosing to stay with you on this quest

 

Pearl, I wanna weep with you.

When we laugh together, I’ll feel lovelier too.

 

I wanna imagine with you.

I won’t forget what we have

Because you’re more than a hue.

 

I wanna weep with you…

Glow with you

Daydream with you

When the song concluded, Pearl remarked at its beauty and hugged Adora. They proceeded to run through a field of rose petals, giggling and twirling about, reminiscent of her first time with Rose, exploring the Earth. Back on the Moon Base, everyone stood in the room in shock, as Steven prepared to turn the orb off. Amethyst lightened the mood, clearly amused.

"I knew Pearl would get hitched, after Rose left her for Greg, but I never thought it would be with someone who had such a beautiful singing voice…

‘Amethyst! Let’s look at this, objectively…

‘Connie, Amethyst, Steven…Pearl made her choices, as did Adora, and we should respect them, regardless of how we feel.

‘Garnet, that’s true…all of us are surprised, that’s all. It’s great to see Pearl happy.

‘Relationships take love, nurturing, and care…Adora and Pearl have that...Their emotional connection is growing sturdier every day…clearly, they know how to be strong in the real way.

Steven, Connie, and Amethyst acquiesced their positions, while Lion yawned on the floor below, not paying attention to this conversation, whether he understood it at all. Steven silently turned off the orb. As they prepared to return to Earth, Connie spotted pink beings on the moon. Amethyst grumbled and shouted, “not again! How did they get here?”

Exiting the Moon Base, the pinkish figures, candy beings like those in Yokohama, were spreading from a spot inside one of the craters. Approaching them, Amethyst and Garnet beat them into shape, causing the beings to retreat to a defensive position. Given the signal, Steven went out, in his bubble, Connie wishing him luck, giving him a peck on the cheek. Feeling alive, with new energy, he bounced over to Garnet and Amethyst. Bursting his bubble, he bubbled the candy beings. Amethyst and Garnet carried him back into the base, so he didn’t die from a lack of oxygen. Not knowing if the bubble could be sent back to the Crystal Temple from the Moon, he held onto it as they warped back to Earth using Lion.

Once in Beach City, Steven tapped the bubble on the top. It arrived in the Burning Room; a place Peri had once called the “Bubble Dungeon.” Their action had ensured that the Panama Wormhole to Etheria would remain open, although passageway clearly wasn’t sustainable. In the longer-term, a warp pad connecting the two planets would be better. Unknowingly, their travel to the Moon created a rip in the fabric of space time. It would unknowingly affect new visitors to the planet, who would arrive on Earth on June 9, 2020, encountering a drastically changed planet which would boggle the minds of Gems.

Back in Japan, Lapis and Peri had early morning tea with Utena and Anthy. Both were glad these friends had given them hospitality in their small house. However, they wanted something specific: approval to grow hemp as a crop on their land. Peri explained how she and Lapis had made a hemp shirt for Adora and reminded Utena that the green dress she loved so much was created from the same material. Anthy explained how their farm spanned 215 acres, also expressed as about 87 hectares or about 8,701 ares. She laughed how their land, if subdivided, could be turned into almost 163 football fields or serve as the space for over 15,819 people to live in the countryside, according to the current standards of the Japanese government. As she recalled, the land had been granted to her through the last will and testament of her grandfather. Sadly, he had been killed in a fatal hot air balloon accident, apparently by a winged ‘angel,’ a story only Anthy believed, while everyone else thought it was bunk.

For twenty years Utena and Anthy had been living in the Miura countryside. However, the land had become fallow apart from that which immediately surrounded the house, used by Anthy for her garden. Even so, both agreed to help in whatever way possible. While Peri groused about the possible costs, Lapis reminded her that irrigation would be simple considering she had the power to control water, although this didn’t satisfy Peri’s worries. They could only think of two relatively rich people: Greg, back in Beach City, and Mimi, who lived in Tokyo. Carmen and Jules, who lived in the same city, presumably had money, but not likely enough to fund their endeavor. Lapis cautioned against involving the Gems because she had unintentionally lied to Adora about the shirt she wore to her date with Carmen, telling here it was made of hemp when it had actually been a cotton shirt bought from a nearby store. Peri proposed Mimi instead. Luckily, Mimi had remained there while Rin went back to the office of Asogi Consulting in Tokyo.

A sleepy Mimi yawned, missing her usual morning glass of vodka. Two blurry shapes, one blue and another green, appeared before her. Rubbing her eyes, she focused more intently, and observed Lapis and Peri patiently watching her from across the room.

“Ah! How long have you been there?

‘Not very long, Mimi. Sorry to disturb…we wanted to interest you in a business proposal.

‘I’m listening…and am intrigued.

‘We want to turn this farm into a place to cultivate hemp…to make clothes.

‘In fact, we have a sample right here in this house…available for scrutiny.

‘Really? I’d love to examine it.

‘UTENA?! WHERE’S THE DRESS YOU WORE YESTERDAY? THE HEMP DRESS?

‘IT’S IN THE CLOSET NEAR THE IMA! Please be careful with it.

‘We will, Utena.

Walking over to the closet, Peri and Lapis pulled out the beautiful green custom-made dress both had created, with one strap on each shoulder, creating a u-shape near the chest. Mimi closely scrutinized it, impressed with their handiwork. Entering the room, noticing Mimi inspecting the dress, Utena offered to wear it. Lapis reminded her this wasn’t a fashion show, but Utena insisted, claiming this was “the least she could do.” Mimi complied, letting her take the dress and change into it. Quickly changing, she marched in not long after, wowing everyone.

‘Utena, that dress looks great on you!

‘Thanks! I fancy it myself and I want to show it off all the time. Lapis and Peri, thanks for making this wonderful clothing for me!

‘You’re welcome, Utena.

Mimi pondered assisting them. She inquired what equipment would be needed for hemp cultivation. Peri admitted to not knowing much, with Lapis lamenting the idea had been silly and worthless. Mimi raised their spirits, promising to give them start-up money, Lapis and Peri squealing in delight. She then went further and offered to be their business manager. She would list their business on the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE), provided she get a percentage of the proceeds, something Lapis and Peri accepted. Mimi shook their hands and announced, “it’s a pleasure doing business with you both.” Realizing she needed to return to Asogi Consulting in Tokyo, Lapis offered to fly her back there, so she wouldn’t have to spend money on a train, a suggestion she agreed to, happily.

In Beach City, Adora, Pearl, Steven, Connie, Amethyst, and Garnet unwound after a long day. Out of the game closet, Steven pulled out one of his favorites, Word Scramble, in a small rectangular box, a little beat-up and taped. Opening the box, he took out the 13 dice, each one with letters on each side and the sand-clock timer. He faced off against Connie, as Amethyst and Garnet were too tired to play such a game. Each letter got a point value based on its frequency in the English language. The dice could be turned into words either up-and-down or left-to-right, a bit like other similar games, until the sand-clock runs out, then counting their points. Steven went first. He quickly came up with several interconnecting words: loom (seven points), which connected to the word hotter (11 points), building off the letter o, ray (seven points), building off the letter r, and yum (10 points), for a total of 35 points. Connie went next, hoping to get a bigger score. She created a few words: oh (4 points), hue (7 points), pegs (11 points), gins (10 points), fee (6 points). But she couldn’t use an i, so that was minus two points. This went on for three rounds on each side, and they ended up in a stalemate. Both shook hands and congratulated each other on a “good game.”

Many miles away, across the North American continent and Pacific Ocean, in the late afternoon, Jules twisted her keys around her finger. She yawned, awaiting the next tour group. A group of two individuals walked in, one of whom overwhelmed her so much with their beauty that she fainted. The 21-year-old woman, wearing an orange strapped mini-skirt open at the chest in a u-shape, and a gold sash around the waist, rushed over, dropping their brown sunglasses in the process. Calmly asking if Jules was OK, she responded with an affirmative “yes.” She stared intently at the woman’s brown eyes, hummingbird hairpiece, brown bob-cut hair with a dark tone and blonde highlights, as they picked up their sunglasses and helped her get back on her feet.

“Gomen'nasai… anata no mae de kubara reru tame ni… watashi wa mae ni sore o yatta koto ga arimasen. Anata wa totemo kawaīdesu, kinō wa totemo kyōretsudatta nochi, watashi wa kyō sukoshi tsukarete iru to iu jijitsu to aimatte.

(“Sorry…for passing out in front of you…I’ve never done that before. You are so cute, combined with the fact I am a bit tired today after yesterday was so intense.)

‘Ē to… arigatō.

(‘Uh…thanks.)

Their cheeks turning red in embarrassment, the woman froze in place, feeling like they couldn’t articulate their words. While they had avoided this feeling for years, Jules brought it back, something they had never expected from a museum curator. Another attractive woman, a year older, with teardrop-shaped eyes, long eye lashes over top lavender-purple eyes, and hair in a Beatles cut, stepped forward and bowed in deference.

“Misu, watashi wa fasshonmoderu no Suehiro An'nadesu… soe kore wa watashi no tomodachi de, yuri ya rirī to yoba reru no ga sukina Nitori Shūichidesu.

 (“Miss, I’m Anna Suehiro, a fashion model…and this is my joyfriend, Shuichi Nitori, who likes to be called Yuri or Lily.)

‘O ai dekite kōeidesu. Kono subarashī hakubutsukan no kyurētādearu juriaarujentodesu. Kyō mitai mono wa arimasu ka?

 (‘A pleasure to meet you both. I’m Julia Argent, the curator of this wonderful museum. Is there anything you’d like to see today?)

‘Īe, tada mimawae iru dakedesu. Matsu… sore wa kō tsukidesu ka?

(‘No, we are perusing around. Wait…is that Takatsuki?)

‘Kon'nichiwa… An'na to yuri… hisashiburidesu… yuri, anata wa Shinjuku kōkō o issho ni sotsugyō a toki to wa totemo chigatte miemasu. SRS wa fushigi ni omowa reta yōdesu… mada koseki no seibetsu o henkō shimaa ka? Sore ga tsugi no suteppu no hitotsuda to wakatte imasu.

 (‘Hi…Anna and Yuri…it’s been a long time...Yuri, you look very different from when we graduated together from Shinjuku High School. The SRS seems to have done wonders…have you changed your gender in the family registry, yet? I know that’s one of the next steps.)

‘Arigatō,-kō tsuki, totemo shinsetsudesu. Sakunen, watashi wa namaenohenkō no shinsei-sho o teishutsu shimaaga, sore wa mada hōtei de shori sa rete imasu. Watashi wa saikin HRT o kaishi shi, ishi to e no atarashī shigoto de shiharaimaa. Kono kuni no fukakaina hōritsu no tame ni watashi to An'na wa kekkon dekimasenga, wataachi wa sore o kaeru koto ni torikunde imasu... Soredemo, wataachi wa kore made to onajiyōni shiawasedesu. O ai dekite kōeidesu wataachi wa itsuka tamuro aidesu.

(‘Thanks, Takatsuki, that’s very kind. Last year, I put in an application for a name change and it’s still being processed in the courts. I started HRT recently, paying for it with a new job as a physician. Although me and Anna can’t marry because of the arcane laws in this country, we are working on changing that...even so, we are  as happy as ever. It’s a pleasure seeing you and. I’d love for us to hang out sometime.)

'Watashi wa sore ga hoshīdesu. Tsuā o o tanoshimi kudasai. Atode hanasou.

('I'd like that. Enjoy the tour. Let’s talk later.)

Jules grinned nervously as she tried to not eavesdrop on their conversation. Showing them artifacts, the museum had to offer, she stopped in front of the glass case holding the recently re-installed fedora and trench coat in a striking red color.

“Koreha mae no V. I. L. E no kōto to bōshidesu. Menbā no karumen Sandiego wa, dorobō kara intaia-go, yasashiku kanojo kara teikyō sa remaa. Kanojo wa V. I. L. E. No hanzai gakkō de hajimemaa shimadesuga,-go ni karera no kagōbutsu e no kōgeki de karera o taoshi, kono hakubutsukan-nai no kiroku to kōgei-hin o atsumeru no o tasukemaa.

 (“This is the coat and hat of the former V.I.L.E. member Carmen Sandiego, graciously provided by her after retiring from being a thief. She started in their crime school on V.I.L.E. Island, but later helped bring them down in an assault on their compound and gather the records and artifacts within this museum.)

‘Sono fukusō wa totemo inshō-tekidesu... Wataachi ga kiji ni furete, jibun de sore o kanjiru koto ga dekitara īnoni to omoimasu.

(‘That outfit is so striking…I wish we could touch the fabric and feel it ourselves.)

‘Jissai, kyō wa tokubetsuna go treat-bi ga arimasu. Karumen wa koko ni imasu. Kono hakubutsukande wa mezurashī kotodesu. Amaimono, anata wa meiyo o shimasu ka?

(‘In fact, we have a special treat for you today…Carmen is here in person, a rare occurrence for this museum. Sweetie, would you do the honors?)

‘Watashi wa daisukida, jūru!

(‘I’d love to, Jules!)

Jumping down from the spiral staircase, she coiled in the air and landed on the ground before them, wearing her trademark outfit. While Anna looked disinterested, almost regretting coming there, Nitorin’s eyes filled with wonder. They asked all sorts of questions.

“Totemo kūru! Kono kawaī fuku o dō yatte te ni iremaa ka? Sore wa dono yōna sozai kara tsukura rete imasu ka?

(“So cool! How’d you get this cute outfit? What material is it made from?)

‘Subarashī sumon. Watashi no torenchikōto to hiroi en no akai kōdobanhatto wa, hadasamui tenkō demo atatakaku tamotsu koto ga dekiru tame, arushuno atsui kijidesu. Kore o V.I.L.E. kara nusumimaa sūnenmae no bukkukīpā to sore irai sore o chakuyō e imasu. Kōto no naka o mitaidesu ka?

(‘Great questions. My trench coat and wide-brim red cordovan hat are some sort of thick fabric, as it can keep me warm even in chilly weather. I stole this from the V.I.L.E. bookkeeper years ago and have worn it ever since. Would you like to see inside the coat?)

‘Tashikani.

(‘Certainly.)

'Subarashīdesu. Rokkudekōdā, jippurainranchā, kaijūdentō pen, baggu no naka ni aru sonohokano gajetto nado, subete no gajettodesu. Intai e `ochitsuita' to e mo, watashi wa junbi o e itakatta nodesu.

(‘Great. Here’s all my gadgets, like my lock decoder, zip-line launcher, flashlight pen, and a bunch more in my bag. I wanted to stay prepared…even if I retired and “settled down.”)

'Ochitsuita' to wa dōiu imidesu ka?

(‘What do you mean by “settled down”?)

‘Ā , jūru wa ima watashi no gārufurendodesu. Kanojo wa sore ni tsuite hanasanakatta yōda… mada.

 (‘Oh, Jules is my girlfriend now. It seems she didn’t talk about it…yet.)

‘Karumen! Watashi wa anata ni nani o hanashimaa ka… sore?

(‘Carmen! What did I tell you about…that?)

Jules felt uncomfortable, but Carmen calmed her down, reassuring her that it would be alright. Anna, who had tuned out much of this conversation, perked up her ears when hearing that Jules was the girlfriend of Carmen, especially in a world where people like Yuri, and other same- couples, were harassed, made fun of, or mocked. Even so, she didn’t want to join in, but rather felt the conversation should play out naturally.

“Yūri, anata ga yoba reru yō ni, anata no seitenka wa dono yō ni susunde imasu ka?

 (“So, Yuri, as you like to be called, how’s your gender transition going?)

‘Ē to… dō yatte shirimaa ka? Sore wa kojin-tekina monodesu!

(‘Huh…how did you know? That’s personal!)

‘Ā, watashi wa kono LEZU bideochattonettowāku ni arayuru shurui no yūjin ga imasu. Watashi to jūru wa saikin sanka shimaa... Soe HRT to SRS ni tsuite hanaa hito mo imaa. Watashi ga haitte kite, sore o burei ni sodatete shimatta koto o zan'nen ni omoimasu.

(‘Oh, I have all sorts of friends on this LEZU video chat network me and Jules joined recently…and some talked about HRT and SRS…You are brave for what you are doing. I’m sorry that I came in and rudely brought it up and I apologize for that.)

‘Hitsuyō nashi. Ukeirete kurete ureshīdesu. Watashi no yōna hitobito ni taie tekitai-tekide, karera no furui yarikata ya henken ni kodawatte iru ōku no hitobito ga imasu. Watashi wa, Takatsuki ga on'nanoko kara otokonoko e to ikō a yūjin, watashi to onaji ikō o okonatta otokonoko kara on'nanoko e to ikō a makuto, sutokkuburōkā to e seikō a Yuki nado no yūjin o hokori ni omotte imasu. Kono jiten de nan-sai ka, watashi wa zenshin suru tame no insupirēshon o ataemasu. Mochiron, watashi no pātonādearu An'na ya chī ni kansha suru koto wa dekimasen. Dochira mo watashi yori 1-sai toshiue de, karera no sapōto ni jūbundesu. Renrakusen o oshiete itadakereba, bideochattonettowāku ni sanka shimasu. Rikai e kurete arigatō.

(‘No need. I’m glad you are accepting. There are so many out there that are hostile toward people like me, stuck in their old ways and prejudices. I’m proud of my friends, like Takatsuki, who transitioned from being a girl into a boy, Makuto, who made the same transition as me, from a boy to a girl, and Yuki, who successfully works as a stockbroker, about 35 years old at this point, giving me inspiration to go forward. Of course, I can’t thank my partner Anna or Chi, both of whom are a year older than me, enough for their support. If you give me the contact information, I’ll join the video chat network. Thanks for being understanding.)

'Dō itashimae.

(‘It’s my pleasure.)

Both bowed toward each other. Anna and Nitori proceeded to look through the rest of the exhibits, with Jules thanking them for coming in and being part of her tour.

Light-years away in Dryl, Entrapta slumped in her chair, socially exhausted. Perfuma had prepared her well for Catra’s trial, insuring she would speak in a professional manner. Since many of the princesses were extraverted, even ones which felt socially anxious at times, like Glimmer, soon-to-be Queen of Bright Moon, none of them empathized with her. Yawning, Perfuma, with matted light blonde hair, knocked on the door to her laboratory, experiencing insomnia again, startling and annoying Entrapta.

“Hey there, Apta, shouldn’t you be asleep? It’s so late…

‘Fuma…grand flower princess…I could say the same about you...

‘Haha. I don’t see myself as grand…I couldn’t get to sleep, it’s that simple. I keep thinking of my citizens back in Plumeria…I feel like I’m abandoning them.

‘Don’t you have someone competent leading in your absence?

‘Yeah, my brother, Kelley. He’s keeping me posted about any updates.

‘In any case, I’m glad you are here…to keep me company…as a friend.

‘I would do it for the world!…we are forming a close, intimate bond…a social one rather than a ual or romantic one like Netossa and Spinnerella have.

‘That’s right! I still feel social fatigue from yesterday…however, I get the sense you’d like to chat with somebody else…other than me…right now

‘I mean, I couldn’t get to sleep, which is why I came to the lab, Apta. I know my hair is usually wavy and well-groomed, but I could care less what anyone thinks of me.

‘Fuma, that makes sense. I don’t care much about my appearance either. But…would you object if I called Peridot right now?

‘Who is she again?

‘…that cute little green Gem on this planet a couple months back…she has a knack for technology…and is on Earth…where Adora is living right now.

‘Oh yeah, I remember her vaguely from our fight in the Fright Zone. Sure, give her a call.

Touching the screen with her prehensile hair, she searched through her short list of contacts. She tapped on one entry named “PERIDOT,” the last one on the list. Other listings were for Bow, Glimmer, and Fuma, the only other beings she considered friends. A pop-up appeared asking if she would like to make an inter-dimensional video call, and she clicked “yes.” Twiddling her thumbs, waiting for the call to go through, with Fuma offering her help if she got stuck, socially. This indicated how deeply she cared about Apta, accepting her, affirming her feelings and thoughts. Such a connection helped Apta grow emotionally into a stronger person, providing her the necessary social support and relieving stress.

The sound of static echoed across the room, with Peri’s face appearing on the screen, followed by Lapis. Although she served a similar role to Fuma, in her relationship with Peri, the former’s relationship was ual, while the latter relationship was platonic. Neither Peri or Lapis had expected Apta to call, Peri only remembering her briefly from a few months before.

“Long time…no talk…what’s happening, Entrapta.

‘Working out some new experiments in my lab…my friend Perfuma is here too.

‘Hi, Lapis! Hi, Peridot.

‘Hello…Perfuma. Call me Peri, P-Dot, or Dot. Whatever suits your fancy.

‘Sure, sure. What’s the haps on Earth…my cute green friend?

‘I’m not cute!

‘Sorry, Perfuma, but that’s a sore subject for her, she gets angry when people bring it up.

‘Fine…fine…what are you both up to then?

‘You may or may not know that me and Lapis are in a relationship right now…going pretty steady…we recently moved to this island nation…are growing this substance called “hemp.”

Apta’s ears perked up, thinking Fuma had spoken enough at that point. Although she wasn’t bubbly like her newfound friend, she felt comfortable around her, willing to share her feelings, and had a warmth unlike anyone else. Since Fuma lived in the same place as her, their communication was simple, both trusting each other more every day. Snickering, she directly asked Peri a question.

"Ooh…hemp…what can you do with it, Peri?

‘Entrapta, it can be turned into bedding, paper, lotions, oils, clothing, fuel, construction or packing materials…and even eaten…the plants are up to 15 feet tall, taking a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 6 months to grow…it can flourish almost anywhere on this planet

‘Sounds like a miracle plant!…where can I get them?

‘We have some plants here on Earth…

‘I’ll have my drones pick up a sample and bring it back here.

‘Drones?...huh?...What do you mean?

‘Oh, I have over twenty probes across Earth…monitoring activity there…for fun…I know that might sound weird, but I like observing others so I can become better socially…And…call me Apta since I prefer that name over “Entrapta.”

‘Apta, that’s not unique…I did the same thing at the Moon Base after I left Earth, wanting to avoid being re-traumatized by another war. Using an observation orb, I sat there as Peri and the other Gems walked through me and sung a sweet song. Steven observed the whole thing from across the room.

‘Um, Lapis…is there something…

Lapis’s cheeks turned the same color as blueberries. She hadn’t mentioned this for fear of what Peri would do, especially after hurting her lover by selfishly leaving…only to be poofed by Yellow Diamond after crashing the barn upon Blue Diamond. They reconnected when flying to Homeworld, their affection growing leaps and bounds, and developed more of a repertoire with Bih. She blurted it out now because she knew how much Peri struggled with social skills and didn’t want her to lose any friends.

"Peri, I’m sorry for not revealing it before now…I wanted to converse about it at the right time and place…to explain my state of mind. Sweetie, we can have this conversation later…no need to involve Apta…or Perfuma.

‘I understand, Lapis. The Moon is a lonely, desolate place…it …While I fell into depression after you left…I hadn’t been completely honest…and the trauma from spending those thousands of years trapped in a mirror…I’m sorry…

‘Peri, its ok. Let’s discuss this at a future point.

‘It’s a date! Can I talk to Apta alone?

‘Sure. Go on at it.

Apta stared at the screen, not sure how to process what Peri and Lapis had said to each other, although she was glad Peri hadn’t accused her of spying. Her magenta eyes connected with Peri’s green eyes. Fuma had left the room, returning to a place she had dubbed a “guest bedroom.” Opening an ornate box, she pulled out a bound book, made from one of the trees in the Whispering Woods around Plumeria, and put it on the bedside table. She then proceeded to take out a small container, which had two sections. One held a bottle of ink, created from the berries nearby her royal realm, and the other had a caved stick, serving as a writing implement, like a fountain pen. Positioning herself on the edge of the bed and turning to an empty page, she dipped the stick into the ink bottle, and began to write.

Hello again! Fourteen entries since I started living here over a month ago. Time really flies. My friend Apta has made tremendous progress since then. We respect each other as friends. Although I feel an unselfish love toward everyone and everything, I don’t have romantic or lewd feelings about Apta, or anyone! I deeply care about her and her well-being, but we are not like Spinnerella and Netossa, married princesses who live in Bright Moon with the soon-to-be-crowned Queen, Glimmer, and former Queen Angella, now heading the Archives of Etheria. Although I know I have responsibilities as a princess, I feel so comfortable here in Dryl…I’d like to leave my kingdom, or royal realm as we call it now, behind…to live free. I don’t want to be tied down. I’d even be willing to be the “ruler” of Dryl at Apta’s side, if that’s the officialdom that those other princesses and rulers of city-states think is necessary.

Satisfied with her entry, she put down her stick-pen and proceeded to leave the book open so the ink could dry. She heard Apta calling from another room, which scared her a bit, as she didn’t want her journal to be accidentally read. Her memory reassured her this wouldn’t happen as Apta respected her personal space, something she was getting better at, with her guidance. She listened intently to the voice bellowing from the other room.

“Fuma! I’m about to goodbye to Lapis and Peri. Anything you’d like to say?

‘Definitely! I’ll be right there!

Putting on a black cape to hide her casual clothes and quickly brushing her hair, she ran down to the laboratory. She opened the door hurriedly with a bang and sat down in a chair that Apta set out for her. She stared up at the screen, seeing a smiling Lapis and Peri…and some orange sentient creature, a new face.

"Hey, Perfuma. I had a nice talk with Peri. So, how’d that trial, of that cat-lady, go yesterday?

‘Let me…just…catch…my breath…whew!...the trial went well, although socially draining. Catra was unsurprisingly convicted…and sentenced to life imprisonment in the polar north of this planet…it seemed like a fair punishment…based on the ways she has wronged this planet…but I still wish they had tried to show more forgiveness.

‘Anyway…who is that orange-colored being?

‘Oh, it’s our four-legged friend, a sentient pumpkin…brought to life by our friend Steven…we love her every day…and are grateful to have her. Isn’t that right…you cute veggie head?

Pumpkin let out a low purr as Lapis petted her from head to tail, while Peri rubbed her nose against the creature’s nose. Clearly, both loved this animal with all their hearts, something which endeared it to Fuma, although Apta didn’t know what to think. As Pumpkin jumped away, Apta tried to get in one final word.

"Peri…would you like to join my club of inventors and experimenters? Bow, who now works at the Archives of Etheria, signaled his interest, but I hope you’d join since inventions you create are so cool…It can then be inter-dimensional!

‘Apta, I’d love to be part of that! Thanks for offering. I need to help our friends here with making dinner…but it has been a pleasure talking to you.

‘Anytime, Peri. Feel free to reach out to me whenever, since we have such a great rapport.

Apta let out a sigh of relief that the conversation had ended, only hinting that Peri should reach out so she didn’t look rude, something Fuma had taught her. Social fatigue, even after that conversation, was something she often experienced. This was part of the reason she stayed in Dryl, away from people. Unlike others, who went headlong into social situations, she chose when and whom she talked to carefully, planning what needed to be said beforehand. From her observations, Peri had some of the same issues as her, but she didn’t know how to express that to her in the right words. Without warning, Fuma whispered in her ear that she had a surprise for her, as a good friend. Not knowing what this meant, she followed her friend out of Dryl blindfolded, so the surprise wouldn’t be “ruined.” Despite reservations about this, she trusted Fuma, knowing she wouldn’t do anything to harm her.

They kept walking for an inordinate amount of time and then jumped off a cliff, scaring Apta a bit until they landed on a grassy boulder flying through the sky. The movement stopped. Stepping forward in a stride onto a grassy plain, Fuma pulled her along, running toward a wooden door. She knocked ferociously and an old frail man answered. Instead of sounding the alarm for the guards, he let them in, as he respected both princesses. The door closed behind them and Fuma took off Apta’s blindfold.

“Apta, welcome to the administrative center of Etheria, in Mystacor, where matters relating to the planet’s courts are managed…

‘This isn’t related to my trial…is it?

‘You’ll see…just wait.

‘Ladies. Follow me to Ms. Ehre’s office. She is the manager of all the court matters around here.

Entering the office, the old man retired and went back to his shift, ending soon so he could go to sleep. Apta and Fuma sat in chairs in front of a huge wooden desk, with papers piled high and ink stamps scattered across the surface. Ms. Ehre swiveled around her chair to face them both.

"Ms. Entrapta, Ms. Perfuma. We have been expecting you. We had to meet Ms. Perfuma too, after she agreed to be your legal counsel. Is there something you’d like to drink? Tea? Water?

‘No, thanks, but I appreciate the offer.

‘Ms. Entrapta, I read over your testimony at Catra’s trial yesterday and you provided some valuable information. From what I can tell, having a trial, in any form, would be duplicitous. Based on what Ms. Perfuma has told us, recalling your friendly and calm nature, and knack with technology, putting you in a holding cell or permanent prison would be a tragedy. This document will return legal power to your royal realm of Dryl, taken away by The Compact and given to a “council of advisors” which hasn’t been established yet, end the possibility of trial, with Ms. Perfuma as an “advisor,” to appease the other princesses and rulers. We have one condition: help us organize the court records from our past trials since it is an utter mess.

‘With my prehensile hair and skills, I could do a lot of good! I happily agree to your offer.

‘Great! Please sign the paper below. It makes legal everything I laid out.

Signing her name, the requirement to her trial was waived under the condition she conduct this duty. This document held high importance since the other princesses might try to contest it. But, Ms. Ehre, as the head of administrative court matters on the planet, had the signatory authority to execute Article II, section P of The Compact of Etheria, stating that “ Mystacor will be the location where administrative matters relating to Etheria's courts shall be managed.” This power, Ms. Ehre argued, superseded the one stated in Article IV, section X, sub-section d, stating that “Entrapta will be the tech advisor, until her trial has concluded,” referring to the Archives of Etheria, and Article IV, section Y, declaring that Dryl would be overseen by a council of advisors appointed by the signatories, “until the trial of Entrapta is concluded” with its fate then “decided by the signatories.” As one of the Compact’s signatories, Fuma exercised her right to “decide to revise this compact as needed,” as she saw it, under Article V, section I, and her ability to have “ultimate authority on all domestic and foreign issues” as a ruler of a royal realm, under Article IV, section V. She also had the power under Article II, section D, that those charged with crimes, in any courts, could have someone “represent them from the planet itself.”

Furthermore, this document was legal under Article III, section S, sub-section a, stating that for some former members of the Horde, the “punishment for past transgressions would be community service.” Her work for the administrators in Mystacor fell under this definition. Although Article III, section Q stated that no person formerly part of the Horde could “hold any position of power within the planet's royal realms or city-states,” this document classified Dryl as an independent sovereign entity, different from a royal realm or city-state. Furthermore, as the ruler of Plumeria, a royal realm, her word had the power of law (Article I, section A), and she had the power to “grant pardons and commute sentences” (Article I, section C). She added this legality to the document by signing her name. Ms. Ehre then stamped it, with the reverberation echoing across the table. She promised to make copies of this document, sending it to all the princesses who led royal realms and rulers of the city-states. Closing the door behind her, she led them down a hallway to another room.

A man stepped forward and approached Ms. Apta. He grinned and bowed.

“Welcome, Ms. Entrapta to the administrative center of Etheria. Thanks for agreeing to help us organize our messy paper files!

‘In turn, I appreciate the efforts of all those in this office to get me out of this conundrum. Let’s get to work!