What Are You?

The Lost Reaper [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                              She spotted it abruptly: a small crack circling the enormous lantern hanging on the warehouse. Eunji narrowed her eyes, brushing the hair from her face to focus on the details of the ceiling.

 

                              Could this be it? Without a second to waste, she sprinted to the unsuspecting Chorong who yelped in surprise at the sudden approach. Her eyes widened at the sight of Eunji, gaping slightly with her hair flung over the girl’s shoulders. She stumbled forward, pushing Eunji backward with a rather concerned expression on her face. It was then that the lantern came crashing down, the ceiling splintering shards of glass and wood as it let go of the mass hanging from it.

 

                              The sound was deafening and before Chorong could even register Eunji's impeccable rescue, her vision went black.

 

_ _ _ _ _


 

                              “What just happened?” Chorong began, still not aware that she was no longer in the warehouse, “Ho– Wh– What are you?”

 

                              She had finally swiveled her head just enough to realize that she had relocated to an unfamiliar house and her hand was intertwined with the mysterious girl she had met a week before.

 

                              “Is that really the question you’re asking? What am I?” Eunji raised a brow, a sly smile tickling her lips when Chorong gave her a unnerved look.

 

                              She didn’t blame her for being so puzzled or mystified by the situation; in fact, that should be normal. But Eunji never missed the chance to mess around even when it just made things more difficult. Chorong's response to her playfulness, however, was much different than expected. Instead of shrinking in her spot, Chorong stood her ground, not willing to buy any of Eunji's tricks even while remaining flustered.

 

                              “I think it’s perfectly reasonable to ask.” Chorong said slowly, her eyes heating with a determined glint, “When we first met, it was almost like you knew I was going to get hit by the motorcycle. Then right after you go into the building and talk to yourself as if that’s completely normal.”

 

                              “That, I can explain.” Eunji interrupted, trying to defend herself but to no avail. Chorong had already cut her off.

 

                              “And just when that’s not enough, you somehow show up a week later at the warehouse I’m working at wearing a stolen construction hat to save me yet again from a disaster no normal human being would be able to predict. So what are you? Some kind of con artist?”

 

                              “What?” Eunji exclaimed, half-offended and impressed by Chorong's list of observations. The girl seemed to have a hard time talking so quickly but her attempt just made Eunji want to smile without knowing it. “Do I look like a con artist to you?”

 

                              Chorong's eyes shifted across the room, absorbing all the riches around her, “Yes.” She confirmed, her lips pressed together to hide her nervousness. Her gut was telling her she was messing with the wrong person but something about Eunji made her want to challenge her.

 

                              “Tell her what you are already,” Naeun groaned, waving one hand carelessly at Eunji.

 

                              She was taking advantage of the fact that Chorong had no idea she was there and as of now, she saw no need to show herself to a mere human. She knew Eunji had ignored her presence when they first teleported back and she took it as a sign to sit back and watch the show.

 

                              “Just keep your nose in your stupid book.” Eunji shot back, teasingly sticking out her tongue when Naeun responded to her snide comment with a light chuckle.

                              “I take it back,” Chorong suddenly said, eyeing Eunji judgmentally, “You’re not a con artist.”
                              “Thank you.”

                              “You’re just crazy.”

 

                              Eunji opened to argue but found herself held back by Bomi who had just entered the scene.

 

                              “I’ll just show myself.” Bomi offered blandly, ushering Naeun to do the same.

 

                              There was a moment of hesitation but Naeun finally placed her book on the table and got up from her spot. A graceful trail of black sparkles began to trickle around the top of Bomi’s head as the outlines of her reaper shadow shed from her appearance. Naeun followed suit, paper-like sheets fluttering from her aurora as she rapidly became visible. Eunji was smirking now, feeling strangely powerful now that her allies were standing on either side of her.

 

                              “You were saying?” Eunji sang, her face scrunched up to taunt her further.

 

                              Chorong slipped on her own feet, backtracking against the fireplace and trying to control how frightened she looked. Her hands rubbed against her eyes roughly, unable to believe what was happening.

 

                              Naeun, who was now uninterested in the drama to commence, strolled back to the couch to pick up her book. She could tell Bomi was staring at her blankly but she tried not to lift her head, knowing that doing so would only make them fall awkwardly into the depths of each others eyes. It happened quite often, but Naeun knew when to avert from the occurrence if she had to.

 

                              “Stop scaring her already,” Bomi remarked softly, tearing her eyes away from the way Naeun’s hair rolled off her shoulders when she scanned the frayed pages of her book. Naeun caught her off guard like that. Even now, when all Bomi should really be focusing on was Eunji and Chorong, she was straying away from the loop.

 

                              “Fine. Take a seat and I’ll get you something to drink.” Eunji motioned to the sofa placed nearest to Chorong and dodged her way behind the couch, stopping before she entered the kitchen. “Are you fine with some beer?”

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter