FINAL

Now or Never

 

 

2009

 

“Nami?” a hand waved in front of the girl’s face. “Nami,” the voice again, voice slightly louder.

 

“Huh, yes, hello,” the girl shook her head, turning her head to face her older brother.

 

“You good?” Namjoon asked, placing a plate of pancakes in front of the girl before sitting across the table from her.

 

“Yeah of course,” Nami nodded, pouring syrup all over her plate.

 

“You’re going to make a mess, and Mom is going to yell at me again,” he shot her a look, pushing tissues towards her.

 

“Sorry,” she let out a small smile, wiping the drops of syrup that missed her plate. 15 year old Namjoon shook his head at his younger sister, picking up the syrup bottle to pour over her pancakes while she waited for him to finish. “Thank you, Joon,” the 13 year old her lips, her stomach growling as she was staring at the pile of pancakes ready to be consumed.

 

“Jackson is coming over later, so make sure that you keep yourself busy,” Namjoon said in between bites.

 

“He is?” the girl’s face brightened.

 

“You can’t hang out with us, Nami,” he said, taking one last large bite of his food.

 

“But - ” she pouted.

 

“Nope,” he said, getting up from his seat to rinse his plate.

 

“Fine, I’ll just go to Jimin’s place,” she said.

 

“Have fun,” Namjoon shrugged his shoulders. Nami quickly finished her food, rinsing her plate before running out the back door, shouting a quick goodbye to her mother before heading towards the house next door, knocking on the door.

 

“Good morning, Nami,” Jimin’s mother greeted the girl, letting her in. “Jimin is still sleeping,”

 

“I’ll wake him up,” Nami smiled, taking her sneakers off before running up the stairs towards the bedroom of her best friend. “JIMIN!” she exclaimed, jumping onto his bed so she was lying on top of the boy.

 

“Let me sleep,” the young teenager mumbled, pulling the blanket over his head. “It’s too early,”

 

“It’s like 11 AM, and I’m bored,” she said, rolling off him so she was crammed between the wall and his sleeping figure on his twin size mattress.

 

“Early,” he repeated, turning his head away from the window, letting out a deep sigh. Nami waited a few moments, letting out a groan when she realized that Jimin really did go back to sleep. She shifted around, finding a comfortable position before pulling out her brand new iPhone 3G.

 

Okay, it wasn’t brand new, it was Namjoon’s hand me down, but it was still her first phone, meaning she wasn’t a baby meaning that Jackson wouldn’t seen her as a baby.

 

It was a cliche that she had a massive crush on her older brother’s best friend, but there was something about him. From the very first day that Namjoon had introduced them, there was something about him that Nami found interesting. He was kind, caring, funny, super cute, and there was just something about the way that he could make everyone around him smile and laugh.

 

She had been playing games on her phone mindlessly for about an hour before Jimin finally decided it was time to wake up. “About time,” she rolled her eyes, pushing him off the bed slightly with her foot before he could close his eyes and fall asleep again. “Go get ready, so then we can go over to my place,”

 

“Why, is Jackson Hyung there?” Jimin asked, stretching his arms before opening his closet.

 

“That doesn’t matter,” Nami said, her eyes going back to her phone, but Jimin didn’t miss the blush on her cheeks.

 

“You know that Jackson Hyung is 2 years older than you, we’re babies to him,”

 

“I never said anything!” Nami exclaimed, getting off the bed. “I’ll be with your mom, she won’t make fun of me,” she said over her shoulder, walking towards the staircase downstairs. She could see Mrs. Park in the kitchen cooking and Jihyun, his younger brother, in the living room, playing with his toy cars, making sounds with his mouth as the cars crashed together.

 

“Hi, Jihyun, can Noona play with you?” she asked the 10 year old, who nodded, handing over the car he was previously holding.

 

“You can be the police, Noona. You have to try to catch me!” he explained, moving the tiny car in his hand. Nami complied, sitting on the carpet as she chased his car with her own, laughing when she finally caught up to his smaller hand only for him to say that his car was invisible and she didn’t know where he was driving.

 

“Apples for my babies,” Mrs. Park said, walking in with a bowl of cut up apple slices, placing it in the middle for the two. The two immediately abandoned the cars for the bowl, turning on the TV to watch an old Pokemon rerun. Nami heard Jimin come downstairs, his hair wet from his shower as he was dressed in a pair of shorts and a T-shirt, grabbing an apple from the kitchen table as she walked towards the door to put her shoes on.

 

“Going next door!” Jimin called back as the two walked towards Nami’s own front door, making a note of Nami’s smile when there was an extra pair of sneakers at the door entrance.

 

“You totally cheated!” Namjoon’s voice could be heard as Jimin and Nami walked into the living room to see the two older boys playing Wii Sports.

 

“Bro, Namjoon! I would never cheat, you know me!” Jackson replied, although he couldn’t help the smile from appearing.

 

Jackson Wang really didn’t know how to lie, not even to save his life.

 

He turned back, and his smile grew wider. “Jimin! Nami! You wanna play with us?”

 

“Uh,” Nami said, looking over his shoulder to look at her brother. If it were completely up to her, she would say yes in a heartbeat, but she knew that Namjoon didn’t like her sticking around whenever he had friends over, especially Jackson. Her face brightened with a smile when she saw Namjoon give a small nod, even smile a little at her. “Sure!”

 

“I call Nami on my team for tennis!” Jimin instantly called, raising her arm with his.

 

“Uh, no, she’s obviously going to be on my team, she’s my little sister,” Namjoon rolled his eyes, pulling on the girl’s other arm.

 

“Yes, but I’m her best friend,” Jimin retorted, pulling Nami towards him.

 

“Guys, you’re hurting me here,” Nami muttered, trying to loosen their grip. She knew that the only reason they wanted her on her team because she was just skilled at the game, no other special meaning.

 

“Okay, let’s not rip the pretty girl’s arms off because then she won’t be on anyone’s team,” Jackson interjected, prying both Jimin and Namjoon’s arms off her and pulled her closer towards him, placing one of his arms around her shoulders, causing her face to turn pink. “Since you guys both want Nami on your team, it’ll only be fair that she ends up on my team, and that you two are on one team,”

 

“What?” “That’s not fair”

 

“Too bad,” Jackson shrugged, picking up the extra Wii remotes and passing them to the two younger ones before setting up a new game. “Ready to win, Nana?” Jackson winked at the girl, causing Jimin and Namjoon to scowl at the two.

 

Several hours later, the teenagers found themselves lying around the couch. Jimin had returned home as he had an early dance class the next day, leaving Nami fallen asleep on the couch, her legs on Namjoon’s lap while Jackson sat on the floor, mindlessly playing with Nami’s short hair that was hanging off on the couch.

 

“So, Nana?” Namjoon asked, interrupting Jackson’s focus on the movie.

 

“Hm?” Jackson turned back to look at his best friend.

 

“Since when you started calling my sister Nana?”

 

“It’s just a cute little nickname,” Jackson shrugged.

 

“She’s my little sister. No matter what, I need to make sure she’s happy and unhurt,” Namjoon said.

 

“I know that, she’s like a little sister to me too,” Jackson explained.

 

“I know how you feel about her, dude,” Namjoon said. “You don’t have to hide it from me,”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Jackson turned around to face the TV, but Namjoon caught his ears turning the slightest shade of red.

 

Jackson Wang really didn’t know how to lie, not even to save his life.


 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔


 

2012

 

“Con-GRAD-ulations!” 15 year old Nami exclaimed, throwing little pieces of confetti in the air for it to fall back down to the ground.

 

“Thank you,” Namjoon laughed, moving his head so it shook the tassel attached to his cap while pieces of confetti fell off.

 

“Aw, is our little Nana here to see her two favorite people in the world?” Jackson teased, his one hand reaching forward to ruffle her hair.

 

“That’s weird, I don’t see any of the members of SHINee here, let alone two of them,” Nami answered, pretending as if she was looking for someone.

 

“Hey, no fighting today,” Mrs. Kim said, giving her kids a look.

 

“Come on, let’s take some pictures,” Mrs. Wang spoke, gesturing the boys to pose. They first took the family pictures, Namjoon with his parents, then Nami joining, one with her alone, and then one solo shot of him. Jackson did the same, getting a picture first with his parents, then with his older brother, and then one alone. Next the two boys posed together, taking one serious picture before breaking into ridiculous poses.

 

“Nami, get in here,” Jackson gestured at her. Nami refused at first, but then Jackson was pulling her hand in the most gentle way possible, having her stand between the two. Namjoon placed his cap on her head, letting her wrap her left arm around his right one while her right arm wrapped around Jackson’s left arm.

 

“Say cheese!” their parents smiled, phones help up to capture the moment.

 

It was later that evening, both families were in the Kims’ backyard, celebrating Namjoon’s graduation with a barbeque. The said boy was caught up in a conversation with Jackson and some of his other friends, their parents at the table enjoying the late night breeze. Jimin and Nami were on the patio swing, swinging back on forth as they shared a bottle of soda.

 

“I’m surprised you never told Jackson Hyung how you felt,” Jimin said, his fingers playing with a loose thread of the swing’s cushion.

 

“And embarrass myself?” she scoffed, taking a sip before handing him the bottle. “And even if my some rare magical miracle he felt the same way, he’s Namjoon’s best friend and has this weird intense loyalty towards him. He would never date his best friend’s little sister,” she shrugged.

 

“Have you at least told him…” he started.

 

“That I’m taking summer classes to graduate early? Nope,” she let out a sigh.

 

“Life ,” Jimin said moments later after taking a sip, causing the girl to let out a chuckle. “At least we’ll be graduating together,”

 

“Couldn’t have said it better myself, Jiminnie,” she said.

 

“Jimin, time to head home, honey,” Mrs. Park called, nodding him over.

 

“I’ll catch you later this week?” he asked, handing over the can to her, standing up from the swing. Nami nodded, waving goodbye to his parents and younger brother. “Night, Nami,”

 

“Night, Jimin,” she softly called, watching his figure become smaller and smaller until he was gone. She let out another sigh before standing back up. Although most of the party was cleaned up, she knew that her parents would be outside for a long time along with Namjoon and his friends, knowing that this summer was a countdown to a goodbye and they wanted to get every moment together they could.

 

“Mom and Dad, I’m going to head up to my room now,” she said, giving her a parents kiss good night on their cheeks. “Good night Uncle and Auntie,” she smiled at Jackson’s parents realizing that he himself was gone. “Where’s Jackson?”

 

“He got some soda on his shirt, he just went in to clean it up,” Mrs. Wang explained.

 

“Ah, I see. Well, let him know I said good night!” she waved at them, going back into the house and past the guest bathroom on the first floor and straight into her room. She changed out of the summer dress that she was wearing and into a pair of shorts and an old T-shirt that had belonged to her father. She combed through her pair, French braiding it before proceeding to remove her makeup before going to the bathroom that she shared with her brother to wash her face. Once she was satisfied with how clean her face was, she made her way back to her room, applying her usual toner and moisturizer before falling stomach first onto her bed, turning her Macbook on to watch a movie when there was a knock on her door.

 

“Come in,” she called, assuming it couldn’t be anyone other than Namjoon.

 

“Hey, Nana,” a familiar male voice called, stepping into the room.

 

“Oh, Jackson,” she said, sitting up on her bed.

 

“Can I come in?” he asked. Upon seeing her nod, he walked closer, deciding to sit on her desk chair, wheeling it closer to the bed where she was sitting. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Um,” she raised an eyebrow at his behaviour. “Fine, I guess?”

 

“That’s good, that’s good,” he nodded. “Well, I just wanted you to know that just because Namjoon and I are going to college, that doesn’t mean that you can’t call us with any issues or anything. I also want you to make some new friends. Jimin is a good kid, but he’s going to be a senior and then graduate and then - ”

 

“You don’t have to worry about me, Jackson,” Nami chuckled. “I’ll be fine without you guys, I’m not a baby anymore, you know that right?”

 

“You’ll always be my Princess Nana, no matter how old,” Jackson chuckled. “You’re growing up so fast,”

 

“Only two years younger than you,” she shrugged, trying to ignore how she felt at Jackson implying she was a baby.

 

“I’m gonna miss you, kiddo,” Jackson smiled, ruffling her hair before stepping out of the room.

 

“You know how she feels about you, don’t you?” Namjoon asked, leaning on the banister of the staircase.

 

“What are you talking about, dude?” Jackson chuckled, hitting his fist against Namjoon’s shoulder with very little force, but Namjoon didn’t miss the look in his eyes.

 

Jackson Wang really didn’t know how to lie, not even to save his life.


 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔


 

2013

 

“Were you really not planning on telling me?” Namjoon said. His voice wasn’t loud, but rather calm - that is what scared Nami.

 

“I didn’t think it was important,” Nami said, her voice soft.

 

“You didn’t think it was important to tell me that you were graduating high school a year early to move to London for university?!” his voice finally reached a level of loudness that Nami didn’t think was possible.

 

“Woah, woah, why are the Kim siblings fighting?” Jackson called, stepping into the living room, causing Nami to think of when it all went wrong.

 

Jackson and Namjoon had just returned from their universities earlier in the week, three weeks later than they planned but were still thankful to be home after their first year. Their families had gone out for lunch to celebrate their homecoming when Namjoon had invited the Hong Kong native to spend the night at their place so the two could catch up. Nami was in the living room that evening when Namjoon cut himself shaving in the upstairs bathroom. She had told him where she kept bandaids in her room, not remembering it was in the same drawer as photocopies of the paper work for the university she would be attending in the fall.

 

As in the paper work for the Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, located in London, 8.843 kilometers away from their hometown Ilsan, and she had not informed her brother of this decision.

 

“I can’t believe you didn’t think that I wasn’t important enough to tell!” Namjoon exclaimed, running his fingers through his hair, letting out a deep sigh as he ignored Jackson’s presence. “How long have you known this?”

 

“...Since before your graduation…” Nami replied, playing with her fingers as she avoided eye contact with the older.

 

“A year?!” he shouted. “You’ve known for over a year and not once, you couldn’t tell me? I thought we had a better relationship than that,”

 

“Namjoon, it’s - ” Nami started when Jackson cut her off.

 

“What’s going on?” he asked.

 

“Nami here already graduated high school!” Namjoon explained, a sarcastic smile on her face. “Not only did she not bother telling me this so I could make plans to make it to her ceremony, but she didn’t bother mentioning that she graduated early to attend an art school in London this fall!” he finished, throwing the pile of paperwork on the coffee table.

 

“London…?” Jackson asked, picking up the paperwork.

 

“Joon, it’s not that I didn’t want to tell you,” Nami said, fighting to hold back her tears. “I knew that you were getting stressed out, and if I told you about this, you would’ve wanted to come back home for my ceremony and everything, and I just wanted you to focus on your work, I didn’t want to bother you,”

 

“Bother me? You’re my baby sister, you’re supposed to tell me important things like this,”

 

“I’m only two years younger than you!” Nami exclaimed back. “I’m not a baby!”

 

“Yeah, I’m finally realizing that now,” Namjoon rolled his eyes, leaving the house with the door slamming behind him. Nami let out a sigh, sitting back on the couch as she held her head in her hands, replaying the events earlier in the day. Everything was going so well, and it’s not like she was never going to tell him.

 

“You okay?” Jackson asked softly, taking a seat next to her, his arm around her shoulders to bring her closer to him.

 

“I didn’t even go to the ceremony myself because I knew he wasn’t going to be there,” Nami muttered. “I just didn’t want him to rush home. He loved that internship and telling him meant him leaving early, and I didn’t want him doing that,”

 

“He’s going to be a little hurt, but he’ll get over it. You are his sister, you’re special to him,” Jackson explained.

 

“I know, that’s why it hurts even more,” she said, the first of her tears escaping as Jackson held her tighter in his embrace.

 

Later that night after Nami had retreated back to her room, Namjoon had returned home, lying on his bed while Jackson was sprawled out on the floor with a few comforters to make a makeshift bed.

 

“She didn’t go to her ceremony because she knew you wouldn’t be there,” Jackson broke the silence.

 

“I could have been,” Namjoon retorted.

 

“She didn’t tell you because she didn’t want you to leave the internship early for her. Don’t you think you were a little harsh with your words towards her?”

 

“Whatever, she’s not a baby,” Namjoon replied despite the fact it hurt him to say it. “I don’t care,” he turned his back towards Jackson. “G’night,”

 

“Night,” Jackson replied softly, knowing that this was an issue that would have to be dealt with in a few days.

 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

 

“It’s been three weeks and he’s still ignoring me,” Nami whined, rolling on Jimin’s bed. “He didn’t even come out to dinner with us last night, saying that he wasn’t feeling well,” she pouted.

 

“Does he know that you’re leaving in a few days?” Jimin asked, but the girl shook her head. “Have you tried telling him?”

 

“I did, but like I mentioned, he’s ignoring me,” Nami complained. “I should’ve just told him in the first place,”

 

“You were just looking out for him. Don’t worry, Hyung will come around,” Jimin patted her head, looking up from his phone screen.

 

“I’m going to miss you, Park Jimin,” Nami frowned, stretching her arms for him. Jimin chuckled, moving his body to hug the girl while they laid side by side on his bed.

 

“We were a pretty iconic duo, huh,” he said, playing with her hair.

 

“You can’t forget me when I move away. And you have to tell me when you get a girlfriend. And you can’t replace me, okay, no other best friends or else I’m going to fly back and kick your ,”

 

“Hey, I’m older than you, have some respect for me,” Jimin lightly flicked her head. “But you can’t get another best friend either,”

 

“No one can ever replace you as my best friend, Jimin,” Nami smiled, patting his cheek.

 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

 

It was the late next night when Nami was in her room, packing her carry on bag. Her flight was in a few hours as she wanted to settle into her apartment before classes start next week. Namjoon had yet to talk to her and Nami had accepted that this was the downfall of her relationship with her brother, and the idea of staying in London during her breaks seemed even more appealing now.

 

“He really does hate me,” Nami said, zipping up the bag and placing it on her desk before taking a seat on her bed. Taking a look around her room, it looked almost the same. She was only taking her clothes, leaving behind almost everything save for a few pictures that she would keep in her new room in London. She let out another sigh, flopping back to close her eyes while everything was sinking in when there was a knock on the door. “Come in,” she said, not bothering to sit up.

 

“Hey there,” Jackson spoke, instantl causing the girl to sit up.

 

His first year away at college and the 19 year old came back looking even better if it was possible. He must have been working out, for his shoulders seemed slightly broader than before and his jawline seemed more defined. His black hair had been dyed a chocolate brown color, and it was down, fluffy like as it covered his forehead without the usual gel that he used to style it, and Nami cursed her heart still beating so fast every time she saw him.

 

“Hi,” Nami greeted him, scooting over on the bed to make room for the boy to sit next to her.

 

“Excited?” he asked.

 

“Just ready to leave,” she shrugged her shoulders. “This wasn’t how I imagined my last summer at home to be, but that’s how life works out to be,”

 

“Well, maybe next summer will be better?” Jackson asked.

 

“Well, summers in London are cooler than here, so there’s one thing to be looking forward to,” she chuckled dryly.

 

“Summers in London?” Jackson asked, looking at her face. “Why are you talking about summers in London?”

 

“Oh, well,” Nami started, “well I take winter and summer classes, I could graduate university early,”

 

“You graduated high school early at 16 to go to college in London and are planning to graduate college early too? You’re gonna finish college at age 20, and then do what?”

 

“I don’t know,” Nami said, her voice soft. “I don’t know anymore, because the one person that I always went to hates me now and I just don’t know what to do anymore.”

 

“Hey, hey! It’ll be okay, Nana,” Jackson tried comforting the girl.

 

“You know, you’re just like Namjoon, treating me like a baby,” she said, her face painted with frustration. “I’m not a baby anymore, I don’t when he’ll understand that. I don’t know when you’ll realize that,” she said, standing up. “My taxi should be arriving soon,” she picked up her carry on bag to leave the bedroom. “Goodbye Jackson,” she said softly, shutting the light off, leaving Jackson in the dark, empty room as she walked further away, stopping at Namjoon’s door before walking downstairs. Jackson heard her bidding her parents goodbye, her voice refusing her father when he offered to accompany her to the airport. He could hear the taxi trunk open as her father lifted her suitcases for her, then the slam of the trunk shutting. He could hear the tearful goodbyes being exchanged, and then at last, the taxi driving away. He sat on the bed in silence before snapping into action.

 

“She’s leaving,” he said, throwing a pillow at Namjoon who was lounging on his phone.

 

“Yeah, I know,” he said, his focus on the screen.

 

“I mean going going,” Jackson repeated. “She said she doesn’t plan on coming back until she graduates. You’re really going to let your sister leave for the next few years without a proper goodbye from the most important person in her life?”

 

“What?” Namjoon asked, his phone falling on the mattress as he processed Jackson’s words.

 

“Come on, I’ll drive you to the airport,” he urged the younger one, the two rushing down the stairs.

 

“Son, she just - ” Mr. Kim started.

 

“I know!” Namjoon exclaimed, shoving his feet through his sneakers as he and Jackson ran towards the older one’s car. “!” Namjoon said, holding the finger that accidentally hit the passenger door.

 

“You’re fine,” Jackson said, starting the car and getting his seat belt on.

 

“Just drive fast,” Namjoon said, putting his own belt on as he checked the time on his phone.

 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

 

“Yes, Jimin, I’ll call you when I land,” Nami chuckled. The older boy was on the other end of the phone call, unashamedly crying.

 

“You can’t forget. And you have to call me everyday,” he said through his tears.

 

“Of course. I love you, Jiminnie,”

 

“I love you too, you dumbo,” he replied, causing the girl to chuckle.

 

“I’ll hang up now, okay? I’ll talk to you in a bit,” she said, bidding goodbye once more before hanging up the phone. Nami had already checked in her suitcases, but she still had an hour before she could go through security where she would then have to wait even more before boarding. She sat at a bench not far from the entrance, listening to music from her phone as she was thinking.

 

What am I even doing?’ she thought to herself. ‘I’m 16 years old and moving to London to go to university on my own, oh my God, what the hell am I doing?’ She shook her head as if it would help her thoughts disappear and took a few deep breaths. ‘I wish Nam -

 

“KIM NAMI!” she heard a loud voice call her name, looking up to see Namjoon running towards her before tripping on his untied shoelace.

 

“Namjoon!” she exclaimed, rushing towards her brother. “You idiot, I always tell you to tie your shoes, why can’t - ”

 

“Listen to me, you idiot,” he cut her off, his hands on his knees as he was bent over to catch his breath. “If you think that I’m going to let you go off without saying goodbye, you really don’t know me,” he continued, standing up to his full height to wrap his arms around the girl, her head just under his chin. “Idiot, can’t believe you really thought I hate you,”

 

“You were ignoring me the entire time,” Nami pouted, her eyes tearing up. “You’re the dumbo,”

 

“Take care of yourself, if you ever need anything, don’t hesitate even for a second, okay?,”

 

“Thank you,” Nami said soft enough only for Namjoon to hear, wrapping her arms tight around Namjoon. “How’d you get here?”

 

Namjoon pulled out of the hug to turn around and pointed at Jackson who was standing a few meters away. “You should say goodbye to him too, I overheard your conversation with him,” Namjoon smiled, pushing the girl towards him.

 

“Hi,” Nami said after she took small steps towards the older male. “I’m sorry,”

 

“You have nothing to be sorry about,” Jackson shrugged, closing the distance between the two to hug her. It was different than the hug she shared with her brother moments earlier. Whereas Namjoon’s around her felt comforting and to the point of her losing her breathe as his grip was tight around her shoulder, Jackson had one hand around her waist, the other holding the back of her head, as if to cradle her. “I’m gonna miss you, Nana,”

 

“I’m going to miss you too, Jackson,” she chuckled, enjoying the moment as her arms were tightly wrapped around his waist.

 

“I’m not just saying this because you’re my best friend’s little sister, but you ever need anything, I don’t care what time it is, call me, and I will be there,”

 

“Thank you, Jackson,” Nami replied, hoping he couldn’t hear her heart beat faster.

 

Flight GTT0116, Incheon International Airport to London Heathrow Airport, the gate is now ready for security check and boarding,

 

“That’s me,” Nami said, pulling back before realizing that Jackson’s grip was too tight.

 

“I love you, you know that right?” Jackson said, his own heart beating in his chest too fast to be considered normal.

 

“I love you too, Jackson,” Nami replied, blinking her eyes fast to keep the tears from escaping.

 

“Come back home soon,” he said, pulling back just in time to see the first tear fall.

 

“Good bye, Jackson,” she said, smiling softly. “Take care of Namjoon,”

 

“Take care of yourself,” Jackson smiled back, his hands holding his face as his thumbs wiped her tears away. “Go and live your life, Nana,”

 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

 

“I think I’m in love with your sister,” Jackson said once the two boys had settled in the car to go back home.

 

“You think?” Namjoon questioned although there was a slight smile on his lips.

 

“I know I’m in love with Nami,”

 

“She’s going to London now,”

 

“I told her I love her,”

 

“What?” his smile gone as he whipped his head to face Jackson.

 

“And she said it back…”

 

“Oh?”

 

“The way that she says it to you…”

 

“Oh…” Namjoon said, slightly confused. As long as he had known, his little sister seemed to be attracted to his best friend, but he never confirmed it. Did she just grow out of her infatuation?

 

“It’s whatever, I’m fine, I’ll get over it,” Jackson shrugged, turning the car on. “Just a little crush, nothing else.” Namjoon nodded at his words, but he couldn’t ignore the way Jackson’s voice turned soft.


 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔


 

2019

 

In the last 6 years, Nami remained true to her word when she said that she wouldn’t return home during her breaks in order to take classes that would allow her to graduate early. At the age of 20, her parents and Namjoon had flown to London to her graduate from Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design with a degree in Fashion Photography. Instead of coming home right away, she decided to stay in London where the company she was interning for had offered her a full time job - an offer too good to refuse. After three years of working, they had offered her a promotion at their Seoul location, allowing the girl to finally return home.

 

While she would be staying with her parents for a few days, with the help of Namjoon, she had already secured a new apartment in Seoul in the same building where Namjoon and Jackson were currently living.

 

Jackson.

 

In the 6 years that she had been away from home, she had been away from home as well. Whereas Namjoon or Jimin would make a visit to London to see her, she never saw him again after their goodbye at the airport. They messaged each other occasionally, but she mainly saw his life updates through his Instagram account, and he the same.

 

In the 6 years she was away from home, she felt her feelings for Jackson simmer down, but they were always still there deep down. She had tried dating other men, but it was never successful, her longest relationship being a few months long.

 

Flight BOS0613, London Heathrow Airport to Incheon International Airport, the gate is now ready for security check and boarding,

 

She was excited to see Jackson.

 

She was excited to come home.

 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

 

“My love, perhaps you can calm down a little?” Mr. Kim spoke, peeking over the newspaper he was reading.

 

“My precious daughter is coming home after 6 years and you want me to calm down?” Mrs. Kim spoke, whipping around to shoot her husband a dirty look. He muttered a quick apology, moving to the living room where his son was sitting. “Namjoon! What time does her flight land?”

 

“Tomorrow at noon!” he replied from his seat on the couch, eyes focused on the baseball game that was playing. There was a knock on the door, causing the boy to groan when he realized that none of his parents weren’t going to check. “I don’t live here anymore, I’m technically a guest, you know!”

 

“Just check who it is,” his father called, turning the page of his newspaper.

 

“Namjoon, do this. Namjoon, do that. Never a - Nami?” he balked, staring at his little sister, standing in front of him.

 

“Hey, you dork,” the 23 year old smiled brightly, throwing her arms around her older brother, his confused self hugging her back.

 

“Your flight was supposed to land tomorrow…?” he asked.

 

“I lied,” she shrugged, her smile brighter than ever. “Surprise!” she bopped his nose, shimmying past him into the house, leaving him to get her bags. “Hello!” she exclaimed, practically skipping into the living room to throw herself next to her father on the couch. “Oh, I missed you, big old comfy couch,” she muttered, her face into the cushion.

 

“Hello, sweetheart,” Mr. Kim greeted her, his hand raising to pat the top of her head as if she was returning home for the first time in 6 hours, not 6 years.

 

“Am I the only one confused?” Namjoon asked, his brows furrowed, walking into the living room with her suitcases. “Mom, come here!” he called towards the kitchen.

 

“Namjoon, you know I’m cooking, what is it?” the older woman said.

 

“You’re gonna want to see this with your own eyes,” he replied, still confused.

 

“Aigoo, Namjoon,” Mrs. Kim muttered, turning the stove down and wiping her hands against the apron before finally walking into the living. “Yes, my son? What is Nami doing on the couch?” her voice projecting louder.

 

“Hi Mommy,” she said, sitting up properly to wave at her mother.

 

“Your flight was supposed to come tomorrow,”

 

“That’s what I said!” Namjoon said, raising his hands for his fingers to comb through his hair.

 

“I haven’t finished cooking anything! The house is a mess! And your hair! What did you do to your hair?” Mrs. Kim asked, stepping closer to inspect her hair. Gone were the short black hair that she always sported, replaced with her hair grown out, dyed hues of blue, lilac, and silver.

 

“I colored it! Isn’t it pretty?” she asked, moving closer to her father, holding up a strand to show him.

 

“Very nice, sweetheart,” her father said after studying the hair. “You look beautiful,”

 

“Oh my, this is what happens when I let my kids become independent,” Mrs. Kim muttered.

 

“Hey, I dyed my hair back to brown,” Namjoon muttered, taking a seat next to his sister.

 

“This isn’t about you,” Nami said, elbowing him. “Tell me how pretty I look,”

 

“You look less ugly,” Namjoon stuck his tongue out.

 

“Hey, don’t call your sister ugly!” Mrs. Kim interjected.

 

“Yeah, you stinky head, don’t call me ugly,” Nami said, pinching his waist.

 

“Don’t talk to your brother like that,” the older woman sighed, moving to separate the two young adults.

 

“Home sweet home,” Mr. Kim chuckled, continuing to read the paper in his hand.

 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

 

“Thank you so much for helping me move in,” Nami said, placing the box on the kitchen counter of her new apartment.

 

“Anything for you,” Jimin smiled, closing the door behind him as he placed the last box on the floor.

 

“You want something, don’t you?” she questioned, fixing her ponytail into a bun.

 

“No, why would you say that?” he seemed taken aback.

 

“You have that smile,” she pointed out.

 

“Well, you see,” Jimin chuckled, causing the girl to groan. “Just listen to me!”

 

“Go on,” she said, opening a box to start unpacking.

 

“There’s a friend of mine,” he started.

 

“Oh my god, are you trying to set me up with one of your friends? Because I’m telling you now, it’s a no from me,”

 

“It’s not a date!” Jimin interjected. “Well, technically? He needs a date to this business party his parents are throwing and I may have mentioned that I know the perfect girl,”

 

“Jimin!” Nami exclaimed.

 

“And I also may have invited him here to help unpack and for you guys to meet?”

 

“Jimin!” she exclaimed again, throwing the kitchen clothes that she had just unpacked, just in time for the doorbell to ring.

 

“I’ll get it!” Jimin ran towards the door. “Taehyung, come on in!” Nami heard her best friend speak, instantly wanting to groan but holding it back before her unexpected guest could hear. “Taehyung, this is my ever so loving best friend, Kim Nami. Nami, this guy here was your replacement who also introduced me to the love of my life, Kim Taehyung,”

 

“Hi, nice to meet you,” the stranger smiled, his deep voice sending goosebumps down her spine, extending his hand forward for her to shake.

 

“Nice to meet you too,” she said, shooting a look back to Jimin.

 

“So how do you know this knucklehead?” he smiled, elbowing Jimin.

 

“He ran me over with his bike when I was 5, and we’ve been best friends ever since,” she laughed, already finding comfort in his deep voice.

 

“No need to hold back your compliments,” Jimin rolled his eyes, opening another box to help the girl unpack.

 

“I’ve been told that you need a date,” Nami said, sliding a pair of scissors towards Taehyung. “You can start by unpacking the TV and setting it up. Jimin, help him,”

 

“Ah, getting right to business?” Taehyung said. “Yes, it would be greatly appreciated if you would be able to attend this party with me. My parents have been trying to set me up with some other girls, but there’s just something about them where there’s no spark. Jimin told me that he knew someone that would be willing to pretend to be my date,”

 

“So, you need me to be a pawn for your rebellious game?” she raised an eyebrow.

 

“You’ll get free food and expensive wine for free,” he said, his face brightening with a large smile in hopes it would convince her.

 

“You’re lucky that I have a soft spot for that guy,” she sighed. “Just let me know the date, time, and how to dress,”

 

“You’re the best, Nami!” Jimin smiled, throwing a heart towards her.

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” she shrugged, but threw a heart back at him.

 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

 

“Jackson! We’re out of milk!” Namjoon called out.

 

“I’ll add it to the list!” the older called out, standing at the entrance of his shared apartment, unlocking his phone to add the beverage to the note with the rest of the groceries that he had to buy on his way home.

 

“And don’t forget, Nami came home last week! She moved in a few floors down the other day, and she’s coming for dinner tomorrow,”

 

“Nami?” Jackson paused his movement.

 

Nami.

 

Jackson hadn’t seen the girl in 6 years, avoiding every FaceTime call that Namjoon had with his little sister. He had seen her pictures on Instagram in the last 6 years, but never did she mention anything about coming home. It seemed like she had settled into a life in London, away from her family.

 

Away from him.

 

He had tried to change his feelings for the girl, but it seemed that the longer she stayed in London, the more he missed her. With every update on her Instagram, she grew even prettier, but Jackson couldn’t do anything other than just simply like the picture. He messaged her whenever she would message him, but he always rejected Namjoon when asked to visit the girl. He thought that minimizing his distance with the girl would help him, but boy, was he wrong.

 

And now she was back.

 

In Korea.

 

In Seoul.

 

In the same apartment building as him.

 

That means nothing though. I barely see the Min family, and they live next door, what are the chances that I’m gonna see Nami if she lives a few floors down,’ he thought to himself stepping into the elevator. He pressed the lobby button, waiting to go down from the 19th floor. He had the elevator to himself, watching the numbers go down. When he realized that the elevator was going to stop at the 8th floor, he pulled out his phone to review the grocery list that Namjoon had sent him.

 

“Jackson?” a familiar feminine voice spoke. Jackson looked up from the screen, about to drop the phone.

 

“Nami?” he asked, honestly a little confused if the girl in front of him was his best friend’s little sister.

 

The Nami that he said goodbye to at the airport was a young 16 year old girl, short black hair, with a slight tomboy style. She still had a slight high school student aura to her, and Jackson always felt the need to protect her.

 

The Nami in front of him now was 23 years old with long dyed hair, colors where he couldn’t tell where they started and ends, seamlessly blending with each other. She wear wearing heavy eye makeup, her lips painted a bright red. She was dressed in a tight black strapped dress, a grey coat hanging off her arms as her legs seemed to go on for days in the bright red pumps she was wearing.

 

“Hi,” she smiled at him, the same smile she flashed him that night in the airport when they parted ways, causing all the emotions he ever felt for the girl to come rushing back to him. “Haven’t seen you in awhile,” she added, stepping into the elevator.

 

“What are you doing here?” he asked, cursing himself internally when his voice cracked.

 

“I live here,” she chuckled, pushing her hair behind her ear.

 

“Right, Namjoon told me that, I don’t know why I asked,” he shook his head. “Where are you going?”

 

“I have a date, I guess you can say?” she said, tilting her head before chuckling as she thought of the other day when she met up with Taehyung at a coffee shop to talk about tonight.

 

“A date, huh,” Jackson said more to himself than her, ignoring the pang of jealousy he felt.

 

“Here we go,” she said once the elevator arrived at the lobby. “I’ll catch you around,” she bid him goodbye, walking towards the front door where Taehyung was waiting in his car. Jackson walked out slowly after her, watching her open the door and greet him with a bright smile.

 

The same smile that she greeted him with.

 

Before she could sit in the car, she turned around to see Jackson, and flashed him a tiny smile with a wave.

 

“I hope you have fun on your date,” he added, his words coming out forced as he turned his head and walked away.

 

Jackson Wang really didn’t know how to lie.

 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

 

“Jimin never mentioned that you had a boyfriend,” Taehyng started the conversation.

 

“That’s because I don’t,” she said, sending a quick message to Jimin that she was on the way to the party before placing her phone back in her purse.

 

“Who was that guy then?”

 

“He’s my brother’s best friend,” she replied a few moments later, causing Taehyung to whistle. “What?”

 

“I guess that means that there’s no chance you’ll fall in love with me tonight, putting an end to the greatest love story of all time before it can start,”

 

“Jimin never mentioned how charming you are,” Nami chuckled, not denying the fact that his words made her cheeks turn warm. Taehyun was very handsome, she couldn’t ignore that, but there was just something about him that was so different Jackson, the man that still had her heart after all these years.

 

“Try not to fall in love with me, darling,” Taehyung winked, pulling into the venue of the party.

 

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

 

“That was fun,” Nami commented, settling into the passenger seat so Taehyung could drive her home.

 

“I see you took advantage of the free expensive wine that was available,” he said, raising an eyebrow at the girl.

 

“You wanted your parents to hate me,” she pouted. “I’m a charming person, so I obviously had to drink a little alcohol to act out of character,”

 

“A little?” he smirked.

 

“Hush, I got the job done, that’s all that matters,”

 

“Thank you, I really do owe you,” he said, taking one hand off the wheel to reach over and pat her knee.

 

“For now, let me just rest my eyes, wake me up when we arrive?”

 

“You got it,” he nodded, turning the radio volume down a little. The wine must have gone to her head because the 20 minute drive felt like 20 seconds by the time Taehyung was shaking the girl awake. “Need me to walk you up?”

 

“I would normally say no, but I am tipsy and don’t trust myself to go alone,” she giggled, opening the door to let the cold October air hit her.

 

“I got you,” Taehyung said, allowing her to hold onto one of his arms.

 

“You’re very handsome, has anyone ever told you that?” Nami said chuckled.

 

“Many people, but thank you for the compliment,” Taehyung chuckled.

 

“I think we’re going to become best friends. Me and you and Jimin,”

 

“The Three Muskeeters,” the male humored her. “Come on, up the steps,” he told the girl so she wouldn’t stumble.

 

“Nami?” a masculine voice called, causing Taehyung to turn with the girl. “Who are you?”

 

“I’m Kim Taehyung,” Taehyung replied, letting go of her so she could walk into the lobby of the apartment complex.

 

“What were you doing with Nami like that?” Jackson questioned, moving closer towards him.

 

“We went to a party, and she drank a little bit too much alcohol,” Taehyung explained.

 

“I’ll be walking her upstairs,” Jackson huffed, looking ahead to where Nami was inside the building, waving at the two boys. “What kind of person lets their date drink too much alcohol that they get like this?”

 

“I’m not her boyfriend or anything, she was just doing me a favor,” Taehyung chuckled. “I know better than to make a move on someone else’s girl,”

 

“Excuse me?” Jackson raised a brow at the man.

 

“Please thank Nami for me when you get the chance. Good night,” Taehyung nodded before turning around to walk back to his car. Jackson stood there confused for a few moments before shaking his head, remembering that he had a girl to get back to her apartment, walking into the lobby.

 

“Hey, it’s Jackson,” Nami giggled, instantly causing replacing his frown with a smile.

 

“Hey, it’s Nana,” he greeted the girl, wrapping his arms around her.

 

“Nana,” she giggled again, closing her eyes as she leaned her head against his chest. “It’s been forever since you called me that,”

 

“It’s been a long time, huh,” he said, one arm around her shoulders, the other in his pocket.

 

“You never came to visit me in London,” she said, her voice soft. Jackson stood quietly, knowing he didn’t have an answer good enough for her. “I felt really sad each time Namjoon came alone. I thought you would come at least once,”

 

“Nami - ” Jackson started.

 

“Before you say anything, I’m not drunk. I’ve had alcohol before, and I know what it means to be drunk - I’m not drunk at the moment. I’m fully aware of everything that’s happening at this very moment,”

 

The elevator dinged, indicating that they had arrived at the 8th floor. Nami pulled herself out of Jackson’s embrace, leaving him behind. The elevator doors were about to close when Jackson made his mind. He wasn’t going to just go back to his apartment and let this night be something that he regretted. He stuck his palm out in time to stop the doors from closing, opening back up just in time that he could exit and run towards the left. He stuck his foot through the door just before Nami could close it all the way. “Can I come in?” he asked.

 

“Sure,” she said, opening the door wider for him. Once he was in, she shut the door, locking it. She stumbled as she took her heels off, Jackson’s hands steadying her. “I’m fine,” she shrugged his hands off. She knew that he meant well, but his touch felt like fire against her skin. He had no idea what he did to her. “I’m going to go wash up, you can just hang out here I guess,” she said in what she hoped was a nonchalant tone, although internally she was thankful that she forced herself to finish unpacking before the party tonight.

 

She left him to explore the living room as she walked towards her bedroom, her hands reaching to pull the dress off, letting herself release a deep breathe as the cold air hit her almost bare body. She sat at her vanity, reaching for the makeup remover to take off the products from her face. Once she was content, she walked to the ensuite, washing her face, dry patting it afterwards. She walked back into her room, changing into a comfy pair of shorts and a pullover that she bought from the campus store on her first day of classes 6 years old. She French braided her hair into 2 braids, the different colour hues blending together even more so now. It wasn’t until after after she exited her bedroom that she remembered Jackson was here.

 

“Can I get you something? Water, juice, coffee, hot chocolate?” she asked.

 

“Hot chocolate sounds good,” Jackson replied, taking a seat on her couch. Nami shuffled towards the kitchen, making two cups of hot chocolate before returning to the couch, handing one cup to Jackson before sitting down on the other side of the couch, criss-cross facing him. After about 20 minutes of silence and slurping, she placed her empty cup back on the table.

 

“So what brings you to my apartment,” she started, taking a peek at her phone, “at 12:19 AM?”

 

“Well, it’s like you said, we haven’t seen each other in so long,”

 

“So long would be if we hadn’t seen each other in a few weeks or so. We haven’t seen each other in 6 years,” Nami muttered.

 

“It’s not like you ever tried to come back to Korea either,” Jackson scoffed.

 

“I come into my apartment, drink my hot chocolate, and then blame me? I was 16, I didn’t exactly have the money to fly back home. My parents were already paying good money for me to attend college, I didn’t want them spending more,”

 

“So 16 is too young to not have money to fly home to visit family, but not too young to move away from us,”

 

“Why are you mad?” she questioned. “You clearly had the money to come visit me if you really wanted, based on that trip to Brazil,” she scoffed. “Why do you even care so much? You don’t have to act so nice to me just because I’m Namjoon’s little sister,” she stood up, taking the empty cups to the sink, washing them.

 

“Why is that everyone else is always to blame and never you?” Jackson questioned.

 

“I’m not saying that I’m never wrong. I’m just not wrong in this situation,” she said, her hands crossed as she stood at the sink. “Did you just come to my apartment this late to fight with me?”

 

“Why were you out with that kid?” Jackson asked.

 

“Kid?” she asked. “You mean Taehyung? He’s just a friend of Jimin’s, he needed a date to this party, so I went,” she paused. “Why do you even care? It’s not like I mean something to you,” his glare on her seeming to be piercing her as she stared back, raising an eyebrow as if challenging him.

 

The time when we lock eyes, I can feel it, that this time won’t ever come again.

 

Jackson groaned, rising from the couch, taking giant steps to close the distance between the two. He grabbed her by the waist, pulling her closer to him as he crashed his lips against her own. His one hand remained on her waist, the other snaking to cradle the back of her head. Nami’s reaction was instantaneous, dropping the rag in her hands to the floor as her hands rose to wrap around his neck, pulling him even closer. Jackson walked forward, their lips still locked together, fighting for dominance, as he pressed Nami against the counter until they finally pulled away moments later to catch their breath.

 

“, that was a lot better than I always imagined,” his voice husky as his forehead was pressed against hers.

 

“You idiot,” she said, lightly punching his chest. “Why didn’t you ever tell me?”

 

“I always thought you didn’t like me,”

 

“I’ve been in love with you basically from the day Namjoon first brought you home,”

 

“And here I thought you always liked me the way you like Namjoon,”

 

“I very much do not like you in the way I like Namjoon,” Nami muttered, connecting their lips once more. This kiss was much more gentle in comparison to the first one, and time seemed to freeze in this moment. “I’m still mad that you never came to visit me in London. I thought you hated me,” she pouted.

 

“I could never hate you, baby girl,” he replied, pressing a quick peck against her pout. “Let me make it up to you,”

 

“How?” she asked, a small smile on her lips.

 

“With all the cuddles and kisses that you want,” he chuckled, kissing the tip of her nose.

 

“Well, get started, because you have a lot of time to catch up on,” Nami said, allowing Jackson to shower her face and neck with kisses as the moonlight poured in from the kitchen window, shining on them as if it were a spotlight.

 

Moonlight, moon shines on us. Starlight, scatters on the sky. At this moment, there are only two of us. It’s now or never.