Character Profiles

The Masks of Destiny
image

Name: Shownu

Race: Human

Class: Fighter

Weapon Specialties: Hand Axes and shields

Strengths: Resourceful and loyal. Those who fight with him are worth dying for.

Flaws: His hatred of his enemies in blind and unreasoning.

Background: War has been Shownu’s life for as long as he cares to remember. He trained as a youth, studied the use of weapons and armor, learned basic survival techniques, including how to stay alive on the battlefield. He rose through the ranks and became a quartermaster, delivering discipline to others who stepped out of line.

 

At some point, his priorities shifted. He will always uphold the law, with logic and reason, but he thought that there had to be another way to help the realm. So he set off on his own, in search of something more. He might not have planned it but one thing led to another and he ended up joining a rag tag group. Everyone harboured their own secrets and vendettas but they worked well together, completing quests in small towns and defeating enemies who would prey on the defenseless and weak.

 

For Shownu, this became the rewarding life that he had sought. He would always be a soldier in his heart, but now he was leader of The Clan, a fearsome and resourceful group of adventurers.

 

image

Name: Wonho

Race: Aasmiar

Class: Cleric

Weapon Specialties: Mace & crossbow

Strengths: Views the pain that he went through as a strength, incredible resolve and determination. Healer. Flight.

Flaws: Lack of understanding of social cues and human interaction. Has no idea why people smile so much or what the point of a hug is.

Background: The experiment conducted on Wonho turned out to be a success! He is either one of the first successful subjects, or a later recipient of the perfected process, he is not sure of which. As a consequence of the experiment, he can control his appearance as part of how he communicates with others, a trait he prefers to keep hidden for if he is recognised, they will try to take him away to study.

 

As a youth he was captured by a mad scientist, who was determined to turn him into a super being, the closest thing to a god the humans had ever seen. Whilst the experiment was a success, Wonho fought against the bonds that threatened to overtake his mind and turn him against those he cared about. This came at a cost. His memory was wiped, and he now struggles to understand human interaction and social cues.

 

He strives to do good and to lay a helping hand where he can but internally he still battles against the darkness within, that seeks to turn him against humanity and to enact a righteous vengeance upon the realm. This inner turmoil makes him somewhat hard to approach, as he rarely speaks to strangers.

 

His lack of inane chatter was a welcome trait to The Clan, who took him in when they required the services of a cleric on one of their quests. He found that he understood and trusted this group, as they were all dealing with something beneath the surface. He didn’t feel so alone anymore, or quite so outcast.

 

image

Name: Kihyun

Race: Shadar-kai

Class: Rogue

Weapon Specialties: Daggers, swords, crossbows, thieves tools

Strengths: Resourceful and sneaky. Can adapt to any situation and conversation. Eavesdropping & lock picking are tools of the trade.

Flaws: He holds secrets that others want to kill him for.

Background: Kihyun has a way of learning information, its a skill really. He spent his most of his youth running from danger, quickly learning that it is not brute strength that keeps you alive, its information. From that moment forward he honed his skills, joining a thieves guild and becoming a spy.

 

 

He doesn’t work for any governing power, more he sells and trades information. He has assembled a wealth of dirt on very powerful people in the realm, something that has more recently placed a rather large target on his back. Having planned for this, he had also honed his skills in disguise and mimicry. He is used to blending into the crowd, hiding in plain sight.

 

He sort of just appeared in The Clan one day and got them out of a tough situation so no one ever asked any questions.

 

image

Name: Minhyuk

Race: Wood Elf

Class: Ranger

Weapon Specialties: Longbows and swords.

Strengths: Keen survival senses, never loses direction, attuned to nature, beast master.

Flaws: Will not save those who cannot save themselves. Holds no value for money or treasures.

Background: Minhyuk was raised by wolves. His elven family has been slaughtered by monsters when he was still an infant. His mother gave him to her animal companion, a large grey wolf, who took him away from the site of danger, and into the safety of a pack. Minhyuk grew up in the forest of the realm, learning the terrain and attuning himself to nature. He always felt the call of adventure but his desire to remain in the safety of the forests kept him from it for many years.

 

When he hit adolescence the itch became unbearable so he finally packed his things and set off, one of his pack choosing to go with him. Together they wandered across the realm, experiencing all that it had to offer. Interaction with people took longer to achieve than he expected, but the language skills were always dormant within him.

 

When his wolf companion was captured by smugglers he was distraught. He was too far from home to rely of the numbers of the pack and he was surely outnumbered. He begged the closest campsite for their assistance, saying that all he wanted was his wolf, they could take everything else.

 

Lucky for him, he’d enlisted The Clan. Within them he found a new family.

 

image

Name: Hyungwon

Race: Seasonal Eladrin

Class: Druid

Weapon Specialties: Quarterstaff and shortbow.

Strengths: Knowledgeable, self reliant, spell casting, one with nature, can bend the seasons to his will. 

Flaws: Keeps terrible secrets. Doesn’t understand social etiquette. The seasons can affect his mood and motives.

Background: Hyungwon grew up in the wilds, far from civilization and the comforts of town and technology. He’s witnessed the migration of herds larger than forests, survived weather more extreme than any city-dweller could comprehend, and enjoyed the solitude of being the only thinking creature for miles in any direction.

 

In his time apart from the clamor of society, he found solace and purpose in studying arcane magics that he found in books lost in the forest. He’s lived a life of seclusion as he communed with nature and lost himself in his studies.

 

The discovery he didn’t mean to make shook him to his very core and he felt the urgent need to go to a city, multiple ones if required, to find out more. For if he was right, it could bring ruin to the world.

 

He was cornered by a group of bandits on his way between two cities, having been too lost in his own thoughts, failing to notice their approach until it was too late. The volatile nature of his druidic powers and his seasonal shift meant that for a passing group of adventurers, it appeared as though the forest was alive, and angry.

 

When they found Hyungwon, The Clan helped him recuperate as he had drained himself of his power in his efforts to stay alive. The bandits were no longer an issue for anyone.

 

image

Name: Jooheon/Joohoney

Race: Changeling

Class: Bard

Weapon Specialties: Rapiers, daggers, words and music

Strengths: Charismatic, excessively charming, loyal to those who accept him as he is, master of song and speech, versatile, thrives on stories (true or not) happy go lucky scamp.

Flaws: Dissociative identity disorder, slow to trust, abandonment issues.

Background: As a child, Jooheon was abandoned by his kin. Their final words to him were simply: “No one can know who you really are.” Since then, Jooheon has lived his life on the run, constantly evading scrutiny lest his identity be discovered.

 

He knows nothing of his origins; all he knows for certain is that, in order to survive, he must adapt. And adapt he has. Jooheon gathered so many personas and masks to hide his changeling identity from the world that he’s not even sure who he really is. He has spent his entire life inhabiting different personas. This has allowed him to escape detection as a changeling, but it comes at a cost. He experiences bouts of dissociative amnesia, sometimes even having the thoughts of one persona invade another.

 

Which persona most closely represents his true nature? Will his multiple personas help him find the truth behind his own identity?

 

Having no family to rely on, he lived in orphanages and the streets. During this time he developed a love of stories. He didn’t care if they were moral or true, rather, he lived for the experience and for the adventure within the tale. He decided that telling stories wasn’t too far removed from creating personas so he took up the lute and peddled his stories to anyone who would listen.

 

When he’d earned enough coin he enrolled himself in the Bardic College of Whispers, a place that muddled the lines between truth and lie. As questionably moral as they were, they still did not approve of changelings. When he was discovered, he fled, shifting personas like the wind and throwing himself into the nearest group of travelers that he could: The Clan.

 

image

Name: I.M./Changkyun

Race: Tiefling

Class: Warlock

Weapon Specialties: Quarterstaff, light crossbows

Strengths: Spell casting, determined, headstrong, values freedom and free will, loyal to those that earn it. Kinship with other slaves.

Flaws: He bears the scars of his and they mark him as a slave. Doesn’t trust easily, his appearance makes other avoid him (horns, sharp canines & tail).

Background: As a child, I.M. was ripped apart from his family during a raid on his village. The raid’s purpose was to eliminate Tieflings from the realm as locals believed them to be demon spawn. Raiders took the young and sold them to mariners, fetching a high price due to their looks.

 

The mariners enslaved him, shackling him to the ships they sailed and leaving him out in the element to burn. They treated him worse than the prisoners they took, often neglecting to feed him or provide him with water. Then they would beat him if he could not perform his duties aboard the ship. Many of his brethren perished but he held out in hope of a saviour.

 

His saviour came in the form of pirates. They freed him from his binds and took him to the nearest port, offering for him and the others they had rescued a chance to leave and make a life for themselves. Many left, but he felt duty bound to stay.

 

In his time with the crew he learned what it meant to be free and in charge of your own life. They also taught him about the gods and how he could harness their power and protection. He had an awakening and became bound to one of the celestial gods. As his power grew, so did his desire to ensure that no one would ever be enslaved if he could stop it.

 

He departed the ship and set foot on dry land for the first time as an adult. He moved throughout the realm, freeing slaves and letting slavers feel the might and wrath of his magic.

 

One night, he assisted a small group who were trying to free an animal companion from bandits. He knew the animals fear all too well and helped rescue them without a second thought. Since then, he has not left The Clan.