Meeting the Best Friend

Just Friends?

-

-

-

 

*Knock! Knock! Knock!*

 

 

I heard loud knocks but I love my sleep more than whoever it was distracting my---

 

 

*braaag, braagg!*

 

 

"Seul! Open the damn door!"

 

 

I groaned at the sudden loudness of the voice even louder than the banging of the door booming outside my apartment. I could feel my body still feeling lazy to get up. As much as I hate it, I opened my eyes trying to get a glimpse of the digital clock.

 

i--- it's only 7:14 a.m.!

 

My eyes fluttered as it adjust through the blinding sunlight peeking at the navy blue curtains on the glass windows. Once more, I heard the door banged loudly and I cursed through my gritted teeth.

 

I picked up my deposited clothes beside my bed and put it on, never minding if I look well or not. At least, I look decent enough.

 

I head towards the door and I could hear the voice clearer.

 

 

"Jesus Christ, Seulgi! Open this door or I will----"

 

The voice was cut off by the door opening as I reveal my poorly dressed self.

 

"Bloody hell, Joohyun! Isn't too early to annoy me on my peaceful slumber? You could have awaken all my neighbors in this apartment!"

 

 

The raven-haired woman in front of me just glared at me straight deadly. She pushed me inside my own apartment and welcomed herself in.

 

"Wow. You're welcome." I mumbled sarcastically.

 

I expected for her to be seated comfortably on my sofa but, I found her standing intimidatingly and again glaring at me. She was silent. Deadly silent.

 

"What?"  I asked dumbfounded.

 

 

Then like a bomb, she exploded.

 

"Don't you pull that playing-stupid-innocent act on me!"  She exclaimed.

 

 

My eyebrows furrowed and as far as I know I really don't have any idea what she's talking about.

 

 

"I don't know what you're talking about---"   I voiced out but the mad woman cut me off.

 

 

"You told her about that one night, did you?"  Her tone was accusing, making me frown.

 

 

"What---"

 

She cut me off again and I'm close to losing my patience as well.

 

 

"Seungwan barge into my house yelling at me about cheating on her and I know it was you who told her! You're the only person with me when that night happened. So, now tell me, what have I done to you to ruin me like this?!"

 

What? Did she just assumed that it was me without even asking? Well, she's doing the 'asking thing' right now though. Still, that hurts.

 

 

The frown on my face never leaves. I also get defensive of myself too.

 

 

"First--! ing first of all, shut your mouth and let me talk, okay?"  I waited for her response and the raven is huffing air like a raged bull. But after a moment, she nodded and tries to calm herself.

 

 

I breathed out too.

 

 

"Now, everyone's calm. Let's sit down and talk like normal human beings, okay?"

 

 

She silently agreed and sat on her usual spot on the sofa and I sat on the other side, a couple of feet away from her. Slightly afraid that she might strangle me.

 

 

"Now, talk."  She demanded.

 

 

"Seriously, I really have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't tell her anything about that night. Hell, I haven't even seen Seungwan for a month now. I rarely go outside and the last time I went outside was last Friday night. I went with some colleagues and that's it. No Wendy or anyone with labels like 'Joohyun’s previous'."  I explained and she looked like debating with herself as if weighing if I'm telling the truth.

 

 

"I swear to Mr. Pebbles."  I added and her expression slightly softened, but she remained silent.

 

She knows my fluffy teddy bear is the endgame.

 

 

"As much as I hate what you did that night, I don't plan on sabotaging your relationship. That's not me, Hyun. You know that."

 

She let out a heavy sigh and palmed her face.

 

 

"I'm sorry, Seul."  I heard her mutter softly.   "I don't mean to vent out on you. I just... I don't know what else to think."

 

 

And it's enough to make my defensive walls crumble.

 

 

"What really happened?"  I asked with all the calmness that I have.

 

 

I heard a faint sob then, followed by a few more. I scooted closer to her and envelope my arms around her. Her head leaned on the crook of my neck naturally like we’re matched puzzle pieces.

 

 

"S-she's mad at me. I-- I d-don't know where to go... Last night was just shouting and cursing and it's horrible. Everything went horrible. I w-wouldn't blame her for being mad at me because I know it is my fault. That's why I am d-deeply sorry. I apologized so many times a-and she just walked out of my apartment and totally shut me out. I don't know what to do. God, I... I don't know...."  She trailed off as she continuously sob and cry her eyes out.

 

 

Just like every other day that we tackle similar issues like this, I settled on my usual response.

 

"Calm down now. Everything's going to be fi----"

 

 

"I think we're breaking up."

 

 

Her words stopped me on my own words. Joohyun and Seungwan has this complicated type of relationship, where fights are like the main ingredient of their arrangement. And I get used to it, but it never comes down to this. A relationship that they both took care for more than four years is now reaching its end. I stumbled upon my words and then we both went silent.

 

 

Right on that moment, I don't know what to say, too.

 

 

==========

 

 

 

Joohyun decided to stay the night at my place and I always make her feel welcomed at my humble abode. Not that I would let her on her own after her breakdown a while ago. Joohyun and I are best friends since high school and sleepovers and these kinds of drama are very much common to us. We met at a pride parade during our junior year and at first, I admit, it surprised me to see her there. Way back then, I only knew Joohyun as the cheerleader and the only woman who dumped the quarterback of our school. She wasn't totally out of the closet but definitely, not ashamed to come out. She’s that confident and everything about her shouts perfection. She didn't want to make it a big deal that time as per her words, hence she doesn’t also answer to any question or allegations. The raven-haired was not the typical cliché cheerleader though. She usually hangs out at the library or just the schools grounds with her friends. She’s mostly quiet, though she can be loud when she’s comfortable. I realized that when we got closer, and I mean, closer than her former friends.

 

Never in my wildest dreams that I could imagine her as the best friend of a lame artist who most people won’t even recognize. I do admire her from a far and I can honestly say that I had a crush on her but, as we grew closer, it just fade out through time. Adding to the fact that I was jailed at the friendzone world for years, and then it just come to the point that I become tired and accepted defeat. I become contented with just being her friend that time and it turns out, it's the greatest decision I've ever made. We grew closer and become best friends until we graduated college.

 

Now that we're both working in separate fields of our expertise, we didn't let our friendship suffer like the usual adults growing apart. In contrary, we treat each other like the other half of each one. I always got her back and so, she got mine. Just like this scenario. Joohyun has her number of share when it comes to exes while my awesome self only got three. In my whole twenty three years of existence, I only dated three persons and my cold-stone heart claims that I haven’t fall in love, yet. I actually envy Joohyun when she tell me stories about the feeling of falling in love. She has that gorgeous smile and giggly attitude. It made me smile too as she's sharing that piece of happiness with me.

 

 

But having witnessed her breakdowns for three times now, the envy fades away too. It's almost replaced by hatred with those who hurt her. Who in the damn universe wants their best friends cry their eyes out anyway? I hate seeing her cry but I hate it more when she keeps on going in circles. A 'Here we go again' echoes through my mind. I know I don't understand much about love but, what I clearly know is that it includes a pool of tears and that one concrete agonizing truth. Falling in love risks friendships.

 

 

 

"Hey Seul, I think I'm craving for some Starbucks. Wanna tag along? I'll drive."  Joohyun’s voice steals my attention from the painting in front of me.

 

I turned myself around from the stool and saw that she was approaching closely. Eyes now directed on the canvas.

 

 

"Wow… You're so good at this. Oh my god, Seul-- Is that me?"  She stares at me amused as she noticed the girl on the painting.

 

 

Glancing back and forth at my painting and the real subject herself, I know that there's no escape nor point on denying it.

 

It’s Bae Joohyun, like always.

 

 

"Yeah."   I tried so hard to sound as lame as possible but the habit of rubbing my hand on my arm couldn't be refrained. I’m suddenly all conscious about what she thinks. She have seen me drew her on my sketchbook when we were younger but since then, I kept my masterpieces hidden from her. It’s not that I’d like to keep secrets from her, but more of the fact that it might seen as weird if an artist’s only muse is her bestfriend despite having actual relationships of her own.

 

 

The goddess is all smile now and I can't help but be a little happy about that. At least she could have that small happiness for a short period despite being emotionally broken inside.

 

 

"Oh my.. It's beautiful..."  She muttered staring at the portrait in awe.

 

Of course, you are.

 

 

"It's you though."   I responded without thinking further about it.

 

She glanced at me with a sweet smile crept on her lips.

 

"Thank you."  Her eyes glistened and she's back on staring at the painting of herself. As silence engulfs the atmosphere, I decided to speak without further ado.

 

 

"You know, that painting is almost done, just a little finishing touch maybe. You can have it since, obviously, it is you… when you're enjoying your morning black coffee, you always have that face, that smile..."   I chuckled lightly at the memory. I always catch her smiling contentedly on her own whenever I witness her drinking her daily dose of caffeine.

 

It’s a breathtaking sight.

 

 

 

Her eyes widened giving me a good view of her brown orbs.

 

 

"Really?! You--you will give this to me?"  She asked totally surprised.

 

 

I simply nodded.

 

"Yeah, sure. It's yours now."   I replied shortly omitting the part where I would say that it's not even the only one I have. Not that I have a lots of her portait. Yep, just a few.

 

 

I received a tight hug from the grinning raven-haired and a lots of thank you's. I almost laugh when she said she'll repay me with flowers which she knows I’m not even fond of. But Joohyun actually owns and manages her newly opened flower shop for nearly three months now.

 

"You know I'm allergic to flowers." I replied.

 

"No, you're not. You're just allergic to a few that has little buds of pollens in it but, don't generalize them. I know just the perfect bunch for you. I'll have it delivered here tomorrow. You're lucky, the owner likes you very much so, she'll make it herself."  Joohyun smirked.

 

I snorted at the last statement.

 

 

"Yeah, you like me very much. That much that you annoy me always."  I jested.

 

She faked shocked and smack my arm.  "How dare you tell your best friend those words?! My annoying gay just bring colors to your lame days."

 

 

"The hell are you talking about? What colors?"  I laughed.  "You do realize that we're both as colorful as rainbows right?"

 

 

"Shush. Accept your defeat and I'll bring you your flowers tomorrow, alright?"  She crossed her arms over her chest and tilt her head in a cute way.  "And if you're kind enough to accompany me to grab some coffee now then, I'll bring additional treats for your almost-vegan self."  She added.

 

 

Instead of asking what correcting her about my choice of diet, I was more curious about the additional treat so, I asked away.

 

"And what will that be? No matcha, please. You know how I think about that green stuff.”  I said.  "And you're the full-blown vegan here, Joohyun. Just an fyi-slash-reminder."

 

 

"Nope, it’s not a mactha. But it’s an edible flower."  She hinted playfully smiling at me.

 

 

My eyebrows furrowed upon thinking what flower could be eaten. Seeing that I'm pondering hardly and she will not be getting answer from me, she answered her own riddle.

 

 

"It's a cauliflower, ."  My best friend revealed.

 

 

I blinked a few times after hearing that. I shook my head in disbelief while she laugh her off.

 

 

“You mean you’re going to give me a vegetable as a treat? As a treat, really?”   I blinked at her ridiculous remark.

 

 

“It’s a joke, Kang.”  She holds back her laughter, and she almost look like a bunny.

 

 

“Jokes are meant to be funny, Bae.”

 

 

 

"Admit it. It's quite funny especially when you have your thinking face like that. God, you should've seen yourself."  She uttered between her laughs.

 

 

I rolled my eyes and drag the florist towards the door.

 

 

"Come on, smarty pants. Let's get you some caffeine drug. And I'll drive. I know you hate driving anyway."

 

 

Her laugh is soon replaced by a joyous 'yey' as we both went outside.

 

 

-

-

-

 

 

"How about you get us a table and I'll order for us? What do you want though?"  I offered seeing that the coffee place is almost packed mostly by college students hanging out at this hour. There's a university at the other side of the road, that's why.

 

"Okay. I'll have the usual."  She answered and I nodded.

 

 

My eyes followed her as she makes her way through booths and tables. I looked back at the line of people from the counter and it seems I'm fourth in line. Just a minute passed, the line moved forward.

 

"Seulgi-unnie?"  A familiar voice calls my name and my eyes quickly found the owner of it.   "Oh my god, it is you! It's been a long time since I saw you."  Yeri jumps to hug me and I gladly hugged her back.

 

 

"How've you been?"  I asked the now-blonde woman in front of me.

 

 

"I’m good. Still teaching at the primary school."  She shrugged her shoulders but with a smile on her lips.

 

 

"No way."  I fake mock.  "How could these parents trust a child with another child?"

 

 

That earned me a smack from her.

 

 

"You're such meany."

 

 

"Meany? What are you? Five?"  I laughed.

 

 

The shorter girl rolled her eyes.  "Excuse you, I'm old enough to drink. And old enough to put my order 'cause you're next." She pushed me to the counter and I noticed that I am indeed being called by the barista.

 

 

I placed my order and gave my card. Not forgetting to specially request almond milk for our drinks. I always remind them twice about that.

 

I turned back to the shorter blonde behind me as I wait for my card and receipt.

 

 

"Hey, are you with someone? You can join us if you want. Joohyun already got the table."  I informed and the look on her face shows that she's genuinely surprise.

 

 

"Unnie's here? Oh my god. I'll join you guys. It's been a long time since I've seen my liquor buddy."  She beamed.  "Oh by the way, I'm waiting for Soo."  She added.

 

 

I nodded simply, reserving the chat for later, and excused myself as she was placing her order this time.

 

 

Finding my best friend of almost 8 years isn't hard especially, when the raven-haired is strikingly beautiful. I don't know when did I possess this kind of superpowers but, whenever I search for her, my mind knows where to look and my eyes easily catch the sight of her. Just like now.

 

I made my way through and she must have noticed my presence before I could really reach the booth. Again, something unexplainable. We just know when one is near or even the sound of either’s footsteps.

 

 

"I got our usual table! Yey!"  She clapped her hands and smiled in a cute way. Even her eyes looked happy. I hope those eyes will not shed anymore tears for the next 24 hours. Although, that wish is kinda impossible and I don't blame her.

 

 

I smiled back and sat across from her.

 

"Surprisingly, I saw Yerim here as well and I told her I am with you. She'll be here any minute. Oh, and she told me she misses her liquor buddy."  I chuckled.

 

Joohyun beamed.  "Oh my god! I missed her, too! How is she? Did she still looks the same though? Wait--- is she still with Soo?"

 

 

"Yeri is still Yerimie and apparently, she's just waiting for Sooyoung. That's what she told me. But, I don't know if they are still together." I shrugged.

 

 

Joohyun nodded in understanding.  "I hope they are still doing well. They've been together for years and they are such a perfect couple."

 

 

As if on cue, I heard a high pitch squeak followed by another and my eardrums went for a jump.

 

 

"Oh my freakin' marshmellow. I miss you so much, Joohyun-unnie!"  Yeri hugged the raven-haired like a koala.

 

I could hear a faint reply from Joohyun but it's quite muffled.

 

 

"It's marsh-'mallooow', Yerim. And let my best friend breathe before you kill her. She's turning purple, god."  I jested.

 

 

Yeri looks genuinely shocked.  "Best fri--- oohhh. Yeah... Right."  She cleared and diverted her attention to the raven-haired who's staring weirdly at her. And so am I.   "Where are we? Oh, how are you, Joohyun-unnie? You look gorgeous as usual."

 

"Oh look who's talking. You're blooming. Oh, and stop with the unnie, we’re literally just a few months older than you."  Joohyun returned the same compliment.  "I heard you're waiting for your date today? Who's the lucky girl, huh? Or should I say, who's 'still' the lucky girl?"

 

I could see Yeri blush a little but shake it off.  "Nah. Just one of my little girlfriends I found in the internet."

 

We all laughed at that and Yeri decided to return the same favor to the brown-eyed beauty beside her.

 

 

"How about you? Am I still going to guess the secret ingredient to Joohyun's eternal gorgeous face? Hmm... Well, is it Seungwan's tender loving care?" Yeri teased and I swiftly kicked her leg under the table.

 

 

She was about to curse out loud and glare at me but, I changed the subject.

 

 

"So, Kim, are you still living at the 'lesbian frat house'?"

 

 

Yeri pouts sadly.  "Yep. But it should be named now as 'lesbian bully house'. Just last night, I was about to watch tv and those s hid the remote control. I found it after an hour and it's right above the cupboard where I can't reach. I saw someone enter the kitchen and Chaeyoung just grab some bottled water and ignored my cry of help."

 

"Aww. My poor baby got bullied. C'mere."  Joohyun cooed and hugged her.

 

 

I chuckled and shook my head. Those rascals are always like that. Then I heard our names being called from the counter. I volunteered to pick the drinks for the four of us. I sighed in relief when our orders are correct. Usually I have to ask for a change of drink since they give me the wrong milk. I went back to our table and saw them talking animatedly. Yeri was recalling something about Lisa and Jennie's prank on her, while the raven-haired is hugging her like a mother listening to her child whine about her prankster friends. Not long after, their mother-daughter reunion got interrupted by Yeri’s date.

 

 

"Hey Bae! Release my girl from your grip now, will you?"  Joy's presence startled the duo. Joohyun didn't bulge though, while Yeri just giggles.

 

 

"And what if I don't wanna?"  Her eyebrows raise challenging.

 

 

"Alright then. Your game is on, Bae."  Joy sat beside me or should I say, slump on the booth. Two eyes burning on my side profile. Right then I know I’m doomed.   "Hey there, Kang. You smell nice."  Joy enveloped her arms around my left arm while I sat there frozen on my spot. Then, she purr like a cat while rubbing her cheeks on my sleeves.

 

 

"Jesus! What are you doing?"  I exclaimed pulling my arm away from her claws.

 

 

"It is ungodly to mention His name that way. I am not Jesus. Although, I maybe His reincarnation. But, I am Park Joy. How dare you forget that?!"  She feigned insulted.

 

 

"You're unbelievable."  I muttered shaking my head.

 

 

"You really smell nice, Kang. You smell like cool breeze or something fruity perhaps. I like fruits..." Joy sniffed like a crazy person she is.  "And there's a hint of... sweet scent... is that vanilla? What fabcon do you use? Is it Snuggles or Downy? Or both?... Or not both?"

 

I struggled to get myself out from her grip.  "Oh my god! You've gone creepy. Get off me, Park!"

 

 

"Noooo."  Joy whined while I was pushing her off of me.

 

 

"That's vanilla and citrus."

 

 

We both stopped on our tracks and turned to the other side.

 

 

"Uhm, what?"  Joy asked dumbfounded.

 

 

Joohyun smilingly answers.  "I said, that's vanilla and citrus you are smelling on her."

 

 

There was like five seconds of deafening silence among us like we're letting her words sink in.

 

 

Did she just revealed my body scent?

 

 

"That's seven years of friendship for you."  Yeri cackled directing her words to her girlfriend.

 

 

"Oooh. Yeah. That's cool. I love the scent."  Joy glanced at me still embracing my arm, while I turned to her as well with raised eyebrows. She smile and stayed silent. Just plainly smiling.

 

 

After four beats, I spoke.  "You're staring too much. It's creeping me out now for real."  I turned to Yeri who's staring lovingly at her girlfriend. That's cute, no doubt on that.  "You can get your crazy girlfriend here now, Yeri."

 

 

Yeri chuckled.  "Nah. She looks very comfortable. I don't wanna disturb."

 

 

"Is my girl jealous?"  Joy juts her lower lip. I believe it's cute in the eyes of your lover. By the looks of it, Yeri got hit by cupid.

 

 

I rolled my eyes.  "I'm out."

 

 

I went out of the booth passing through Joy and gestured for the lovers to seat next to each other.  "There's so much love in the air and I'm drowning."  I joked.

 

 

I heard Joohyun laugh while Yeri rolls her eyes and stands up to sit beside her girlfriend. I could sense they shared a kiss but, I didn't look up. And I don't plan on it either.

 

 

"You're just envious. You should date someone, you know? Since when did you went out, anyway?"  Yeri interrogated.

 

 

Joy joined the interrogation before I could speak.

 

"Yeah. I believe the last one you dated was err... what's her name again? Krystal? Sunmi? Sulli?"  She then turned to her girlfriend.   "It's a year ago, wasn't it?"

 

 

Yeri pondered for a bit and I rolled my eyes on that. They are seriously discussing this topic in front of me.  "I'm not quite sure with the name. But, yeah. I think it's 11 months ago. Almost a year."

 

Joy laughed amazed at what she heard.  "Oh, would you look at that. Next month would be your anniversary for being single!"

 

 

My best friend beside me decided to defend me.   "Stop teasing her, guys. There's nothing wrong with staying single for a while. Seul wasn't in for some games so, she's ----"

 

 

"Looking for a long-term and serious relationship."  The couple said in unison.

 

 

Joohyun giggled lightly.  "Right. She always says that. So, let's just wait until Seul lets us meet her wife-to-be."

 

 

I sighed in defeat.

 

 

"Alright, enough of my love life. Could we talk about something else?"

 

 

-

-

-

 

 

 

"Do you want to sleep now? You've been yawning for a number of times now. I stopped counting after five."  I told the girl who's leaning over me comfortably. Well, more like putting all of her weight on me.

 

 

"Hmm... maybe...?"  Her voice laced with sleepiness. I suddenly felt bad for waking her up. She’s been out for days without a wink of sleep after all.

 

 

"Come on. Let's put you to bed, missy."   I spoke softly.

 

 

I helped her get up and walked her to the guest room. I already put new sheets and blankets on the bed, and let her borrow one of my pillows. She blindly reached for the pillow once she dipped herself on the bed. A contented smile crept on her lips as she hugged the pillow and lay herself down comfortably.

 

Instantly, a smile escape my lips too.

 

 

I sighed and put on the sheets and duvet to tuck her in. I mumbled a 'good night' then, exit the room and went to my bedroom just across from hers.

 

 

I placed my phone on the study table and slumped down the bed. Good thing we already showered shortly after we arrived here from the coffee shop, ‘cause I’m dead tired now though not really sleepy. Still feeling awake, I just lay down staring on the ceiling as I began to reminisce the moments with my friends this afternoon. Joy and Yeri are one of the couples that made me still believe that love is worth fighting for. Despite the loud and strong characters of both, they are both softy when it comes to each others and everyone with eyes can see that.

 

Joy is still a sucessful vlogger and a popular one if I may add. She's talented and genuine that everyone, including myself, begins to idolize. I actually watched her videos from Sooyoung when she started, to Joy when she adopted that Western touch where her rising career journey began. I am so proud of her for being a good influencer on the social media and now on the process of working for an entertainment company too. It's been only a month ever since she changed her name and as much as we get used to calling her Sooyoung, it's totally okay if she wants to be called by a name which makes her more happy though she doesn’t mind being called by her birthname when she’s with us. We totally support her on that and I always knew that whatever name she'd chose, it will very much suit her.

 

Yeri is still teaching pre-school kids and I could see that she's very passionate about it. Joy has been very supportive of her girlfriend. It also surprised me to know that Joy is already planning on asking Yeri to live with her, unbeknownst to the younger as of now. However, it still scares her that Yeri will refuse since her girlfriend is very fond of her roommates' company. Speaking of her roommates, it's been quite a long time since I saw one of her now-former roommate, Seungwan. Ever since Seungwan decided to part ways with the frat-house, I rarely hear of her whereabouts. Though I'm still wondering how did she knew about Joohyun's crazy night. I'm still hoping that they could still fix whatever is going on. I like Seungwan as a person. She's one of those who I trust with Joohyun. I know that----

 

 

"Seul, can I sleep here?”   The raven-haired barge in rubbing her eyes from sleep like a precious child. She’s cute without doing much.  “Don't wanna be alone. Please?"

 

 

"Alright."  I replied shortly, already used to her barging in my room. She’s the only one who’s allowed to do so. Everyone in our little group knows that.

 

 

I scooted on the other side to give her space. She lay down facing me then muttered a soft 'thanks'. She gave a tight lip sleepy smile and bid me good night.

 

 

"Sleepwell, princess."  I smiled to myself, thinking she's probably asleep already. I focused my attention elsewhere, refraining myself from staring at her too much. That's a dangerous move based on experience.

 

 

My mind wanders off again as I leaned my back on the headboard. Clearly, I am finding it difficult to sleep tonight. Just a minute passed, I felt a poke on my arm. I looked down to those dark brown eyes which are staring back up at me now.

 

Her porcelain skin glowing despite the dim light. Undeniably, beautiful.

 

 

 

"Can't sleep?"  She asked. Her voice a little hoarse from sleep.

 

 

"Yeah. But, I'm good. You should go back to sleep now, Hyunnie."  I answered.

 

 

She smiled.  "You know I'm insomniac, right? It actually surprised me that I fell asleep that early and on the couch."

 

 

I chuckled lightly.  "More like on me. You basically made me your pillow."

 

 

"Well, you're comfy just like a pillow, so you can’t blame me. I haven't sleep that easy these days too. I am not even that tired but, I just feel like closing my eyes and poof... I succumbed to sleep."  Her fingers played with the sheets as she spoke again.  "How about you? Are you okay?"

 

Noticing the worry on her face, I asked away.  "I am. Why?"

 

 

"I'm sorry for being a a while ago. I was freaking out and I don't know where to go. My feet just brought me here and I know that you're just the very person I need. I know you'll understand. You always know what to do. I suppose that's why my mind thought I should go here. However, my emotions got the best of me. I am really sorry. I don't mean to lash out on you. I haven't sleep last night nor the previous night and everything is just suffocating. I'm so sorry."  She was on the verge of crying. Her eyes looks shining from the moonlight, like the ocean at midnight. Like it’s illuminating thousands of stars.

 

 

She began sobbing quietly. My hand instinctively cupped her cheeks and wiped away the tears that run down.

 

 

"Hey, I am not mad at you, Hyun. You don't have to worry about anything. I am actually glad that you chose my place instead of anybody's. I am more relief to see you sober and unharmed. Driving drunk isn't ideal. You should know that by now. You already have your fair share of drunken madness and it's not appealing after you come to your senses."

 

Her hand goes to cover to silence her sobs as she nodded in understanding. A habit of hers that I’ve grown to understand. Joohyun has always been reserved and quiet, even when she’s hurting.

 

 

I held her closer, wrapping my arms around her protectively, trying to share the pain she’s suffering from. Her face hiding under my chin, as I place a delicate kiss on top of her head.

 

 

I spoke once again after a few beats.  "And I don't know everything. Hell, I always think that my decisions are stupid. Maybe, my advices are just fitting because I know you enough. And yes, I know you well but, people change. Everyone change. It's inevitable. But even if you and I change for the better or even for worse, as long as we're both aware of these changes, we're still good. You don't have to be someone else you're not. You are Bae Joohyun and no one, not a single specie, can change that. I will still be here for you until we got ourselves in a retirement house. We promise that, remember?"

 

 

She chuckled lightly while nodding, pulling herself to face me. A genuine smile planted on her lips. Her arms enveloped my waist and it surprised me but,nonetheless, I placed my arm around her shoulders pulling her even closer.

 

 

"Thank you, Seul. I am so lucky to have you in my life. You're every person's dream for a best friend. You're my ultimate companion."  Then I heard sigh.  "If ever I grow old single and alone, will you promise not to forget about me?"   Her sudden question made me breathe deeply as my eyes found hers.

 

 

"How dare you ask that? I will not forget nor abandon you. We'll grow old together with two dogs, maybe. Just let me name the other one as Bae."

 

She laughed at the mention of my proposition.

 

 

"Why the hell do you want to name our dog as my surname? What's wrong with you?"

 

'Our' sounds good.

 

 

"What's wrong with that? It's cute."  I retorted while brushing off my impossible thoughts.

 

 

"Wow. I don't know if you're trying to flatter me by calling my surname cute."  She rolled her eyes playfully.  "But, fine. You name him or her as Bae and I'll name the other one Kang."  She proposed, more like stated.

 

 

"Like Kang Daniel?"  I feigned stupid, mentioning the name of a popular idol.

 

 

"Like Kang Seulgi."  She giggled and lay down back on my arms.

 

 

We lay back that way with her arms still over my waist while I was still leaning almost half of my back on the headboard.

 

 

"You sleepy now?"  I asked softly after a few minutes of silence.

 

 

"I would if you would lay down properly now and we’ll both sleep."  She replied.

 

 

I only smiled and comply.

 

 

I lay on my back as she lay on her side. I am not a person who's fond of cuddles but I don’t mind if it’s with Joohyun. I let myself get succumb by sleep as I drifted to nirvana.

 

 

===========:::::============

 

 

A/N:

 

A new story and just exactly what I need for a good come back. This is a converted fic from one of my stories that I haven’t finished but was long forgotten (I don’t even  open that app anymore). It won’t be the exact conversion ‘cause I will be editing lots of parts from the former fic. I don't know why but this story is one of my stories that I love. It's fun to write because the main character's pov are somewhat based from personal history. Well, minus the vegan part and that's what actually make this story challenging to write because I have limited knowledge about what and where do vegans eat (forgive me). But, I'm trying and I hope that counts.

 

Anyway, I won’t abandon C&K tho (Coffee & Kisses). I’m just still having a short break from it but I’ll finish that story soon.  :)

 

 

Upvotes, subscriptions, and comments are highly appreciated.

 

 

~ Hyun S.