how it all began

The Lies We Tell For Love

"Did you hear?" 

Everyone had heard. Whispered conversations and folded notes were everywhere that day; no one in Grey Creek knew what to think. Jung Wooyoung and his wife Jung Minyoun were moving into their town, to stay. 

Jung Wooyoung was a billionaire. He was quite young, still in his early twenties, and very attractive, with dark blue, almost black, hair and a beautiful smile. His wife Jung Minyoun was a year older, and stunning. Her eyes seemed to sparkle, and her figure was perfect. They were the nation's top couple, those two. And they were coming here, to Grey's Creek. 

Like its name, Grey's Creek was grey. It was a small, old, rather lifeless little town where nothing ever really happened. Everyone knew each other and there was certainly no one rich or famous. Until now. 

A crowd had gathered to watch from the opposite sidewalk as the Jung couple and all their servants and such arrived. Jung Wooyoung looked like a fish out of water against the colorless, blank background of the town, and Jung Minyoun was equally out of place, though she flashed her brilliant smile at the locals and made several young boys blush. 

One, however, did not blush. Choi San sat cross legged on the hood of a car, a small black dog on his lap. He was ignoring the fuss completely and focusing on petting his dog. 

"Don't you care about this?" His friend Mingi demanded. "They're rich and famous!" 

"Good for them," San said airily, continuing to pet his dog without even glancing across the street. 

"She's beautiful!" Mingi added. 

"Hm," San replied, with no expression. 

"And he's not too bad either," Mingi added. 

"Nice," San said flatly. He bent to coo something to his dog and when he straightened up, out of the corner of his eye he saw someone looking at him. 

Jung Minyoun. 

She was beautiful, he decided, like a princess out of a fairy tale. But there was an odd look in her eyes- desperate, almost hungry for something he couldn't imagine. Her husband was already in the house, but she stood out on the doorstep, her gaze fixed on San. 

And then she winked. 

San ignored the jealous sighs of the boys around him. Panic written all over his face, he jumped to his feet and ran as fast as he could in the opposite direction, not caring where he went as long as that woman was nowhere near. 

She smiled after him- smiled, as though she were not a bit disturbed by his terror. "He's a special one," she murmered, before giving one last wave and stepping lightly into her new home.