Valentine of the day

Valentine of the day

The most discussed day out of the 365 days on the calendar was finally here- Valentine’s Day. The day when some poor hearts get trampled over by their crush. The day when love is expressed and some gets reciprocated. It was also the day when Jang Soo Mi decided to confess to her crush. She liked him for three years and was finally going to let him know.

She is a plump high school girl who is as usual, ostracized by the others. She knew that if she confessed, she would probably get laughed at and ridiculed. However, today she decided to say it all out. It was kept in her heart for too long. She told herself that even if the answer is rejection, she still wanted to let him know.

Soo Mi checked herself in the toilet and neatened her hair a little. One of the school’s queenkas from behind pushed her aside and stood before the mirror. After she touched up herself with the make-up, she said to Soo Mi, “Go away, fat girl. Even if you stare at the mirror for a hundred years, you still look fat.” Soo Mi held her tears back. Even if she were to cry, she didn’t want to do it before her. It will just make her happy and never guilty.

The queenka left the toilet and joined her group outside. Soo Mi was alone in the toilet. She cried. A tear slipped out of her eye as she quickly wiped it off. “Jang Soo Mi. Don’t cry. This is not the first time she said such nasty words, isn’t it? Today you are finally going to confess. Be happy!” she smiled at her chubby reflection and thought. Inhaling deeply, she left the toilet too.

"Hyung, Valentine's Day is so boring every year. The same things happen like a cycle each year. We receive tons of presents, get many confessions and make them cry. Then, we go out with one of the queenkas in school and eat dinner. It is so standard and boring…" L said with his hands in his pocket.

"How about let's spice things up a little?" Woo Hyun asked.

"How?" Myung Soo's eyes lit up.

"We will both accept the third confession of the day and go out with her till 8pm. You in?" Woo Hyun raised one of his eyebrows and said.

"Sounds like fun. I am in!" L said with a smirk.

As expected, the two kingkas received tons of presents from the girls in school. At the same time, they were confessed to by many females. It was already the third one within minutes.

“Myung Soo oppa, I like you.” The cute girl said with a shy smile.

“I will be your valentine for today. Shall we go?” L said with a charismatic smile and handed her hand to the girl.

Embarrassed, the shocked girl took his hand and the two of them left, holding hands. Woo Hyun looked at the two as L waved his hyung goodbye with the back of his hand. Woo Hyun was starting to get nervous, looking around the school to see who the third confession will come from. Soo Mi spotted Woo Hyun from afar and took a deep breath.

With careful steps, she marched towards him. She felt her heart thumping harder and faster with each step she took. She felt her cheeks heating up too. Nam Woo Hyun, the hottest and cutest kingka in school was right before her now.

“OH MY GOD?! Don’t tell me… she is going to confess to me?!” Woo Hyun thought to himself as he stared down at Soo Mi who was looking at her shoes.

“Crap. Why did I even suggest playing this game?! God. Now I totally don’t mind going out with some pretty girl for Valentine’s day like last year…” Woo Hyun thought to himself.

Soo Mi swallowed her saliva and confessed, “ Woo Hyun oppa, I…I… like you.”

Those words escaped as Soo Mi felt her heart become lighter. Those words that were kept in her heart for so long were finally said. Now, it was his time to react. Soo Mi expected some harsh words to come out of Woo Hyun’s mouth like what the other kingkas always did to those low standard girls who confessed to them.

“Why didn’t you check in the mirror before confessing? Don’t you know you are twice of my size? I am sorry to say this but I really don’t like fat girls! “ Something along that line. She closed her eyes and waited for him to say it. However, there was a weird silence for some time. Soo Mi thought maybe he had walked off or something. She opened her eyes, looked up and realised he was still there.

“I…I will accept you as… as…my valentine of the day.” Woo Hyun said reluctantly.

“Darn you, god.” Woo Hyun cursed mentally.

“WHAT?!” Soo Mi exclaimed as she covered in surprise.

That was the only outcome that didn’t cross her mind.

“I.said.I.will.be.your.valentine.for.the.day!” Woo Hyun repeated his answer.

Soo Mi was still in the state of shock when she felt someone shove her aside. It was the queenka in the toilet from before. She stumbled a little and ended up beside Woo Hyun. The queenka glared at Soo Mi before turning back to Woo Hyun. She flashed him the sweetest smile she could manage.

“Woo Hyun oppa, will you be my valentine?” the queenka asked in a flirtatious tone.

“I am sorry. I dislike ugly girls and I already have a valentine for the day.” Woo Hyun said smugly and smirked.

“WHAT?!” The queenka exclaimed. She couldn’t believe he just called her ugly.

“Let’s go, my valentine.” Woo Hyun said as he pulled Soo Mi away from the scene.

The queenka was left there standing, dumbfounded. Soo Mi smiled happily at herself as she looked at the back view of Woo Hyun and back at his hand holding onto hers. She felt blessed and delighted.

“This is going to be the best Valentine’s Day of my life!” she thought.

“Aish. God you must be kidding me… Myung Soo, you lucky brat.” He thought.

Then, Woo Hyun felt a vibration in his pocket. He stopped walking, released Soo Mi and took out his phone. It was from L.

“Hyung! How is your valentine? Just a reminder that if yours isn’t as ideal as mine… you still have to be with her until 8pm! Bye~” he read and gritted his teeth.

“Kim Myung Soo!” he yelled at his phone angrily.

Soo Mi stared at Woo Hyun who just scolded the phone. Something crossed her mind but she kept quiet. Woo Hyun sent him a quick reply and kept his phone. He looked up at Soo Mi who was his Valentine of the day.

“So… Where do you want to go?” Woo Hyun asked with a fake smile plastered across his face.

“I…I have somewhere that I planned to go already. Be-because I didn’t expect you to accept me so…so… I have plans already.” Soo Mi stuttered a little and looked down again. She felt embarrassed before him.

“Oh, okay. We will just go to the place you wanted to go then. Let’s go. You lead the way, I will follow behind you.” Woo Hyun said as he ruffled his hair slightly.

“Ne.” Soo Mi nodded her head and led the way.

Woo Hyun was annoyed that his Valentine’s Day was screwed by his stupid plan. He cursed himself mentally for the hundredth times and they finally reached. Woo Hyun looked around the place in amazement. It was a kind of run down building before them. Soo Mi turned around and mumbled, “We are here.”

“Where is this place?” Woo Hyun asked.

“It is an elderly home.” Soo Mi said as she continued to look down.

“WHAT?!” Woo Hyun exclaimed.

“Oh, Soo Mi-ah! You are here?” A middle aged lady approached the two.

“Yea.” Soo Mi looked up at her and smiled.

“WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING AT AN ELDERLY HOME ON VALENTINE’S DAY?!” Woo Hyun screamed in his mind.

“Oh. Who is this?” The lady asked.

“My…friend. He is here to help out too.” Soo Mi said with a shy smile.

Woo Hyun expected her to say something like he was her boyfriend or something. Somehow, she didn’t.

 “Shall we go in now?” the kind lady said with a broad smile.

Soo Mi nodded her head and followed her. Woo Hyun was intending to leave but he thought of his promise. He didn’t want to go back on his words and get laughed at by Myung Soo. He rolled his eyes and followed behind Soo Mi unwillingly.

“Today, you two will just be in charge of talking to the old people.” The lady said to the two of them before leaving.

It was left with only the two of them in the staff room and Soo Mi lowered her head again.

“Hey. What is your name?” Woo Hyun started a conversation.

“I… am Jang Soo Mi.” She answered.

“Oh. And can I ask? Why the hell are you coming here on Valentine’s Day. I mean even if you don’t have a valentine, you can still go out with your friends…Who comes to an elderly home on Valentine’s Day ?” Woo Hyun questioned her.

“I…I… don’t have many friends. And I like to bring joy to the elderly here who lost their loved ones years ago and are abandoned on this special occasion.” Soo Mi said as she stuck her chin to her body.

“I get it now.” Woo Hyun said simply. He didn’t know why but he pitied her when she said the first sentence. He saw her in a different light when she said those words.

“Shall we get going?” Woo Hyun said with a smile.

Soo Mi nodded her head and followed him out.

“Soo Mi-ah, you are here again?” one of the old ladies said.

Soo Mi nodded her head and flashed a cute smile before helping the lady to sit down.

“And who is this handsome lad with you?” the lady asked.

“He is my friend. His name is Nam Woo Hyun.” Soo Mi said as she looked at the old lady.

Woo Hyun bowed down politely and smiled.

“Come on, young lad. Sit down and talk to me. Soo Mi-ah, you can go and accompany Mdm. Kim! She has been waiting for you since last week. She has been pestering me every day, asking me where you are!” The old lady said to Soo Mi.

Soo Mi nodded her head with a smile and left Woo Hyun with the old lady.

“Halmeoni,  nice to meet you.” Woo Hyun said with an awkward smile. It was his first time interacting with an elderly at an elderly home.

“Haha… Young lad, today must be your first day here, right?” the old lady saw through Woo Hyun and said with laughter.

Embarrassed, Woo Hyun rubbed the back of his neck and nodded his head.

“That was so embarrassing. Jang Soo Mi, thanks a lot!” Woo Hyun cursed in his mind.

“Don’t be nervous. I don’t bite.” She joked.

Woo Hyun laughed a little and slowly opened up to the old lady. On the other hand, Soo Mi was chatting happily away with Mdm. Kim. Once in a while, she would turn to check on Woo Hyun. Seeing that he had gotten closer to the old lady, she felt relieved.

“Soo Mi-ah.” Mdm. Kim called.

“Huh?” Soo Mi shifted her gaze from Woo Hyun back to Mdm.Kim.

“You like him, don’t you?” Mdm.Kim asked bluntly.

“What?!” Soo Mi exclaimed nervously as she looked down shyly.

A tint of pink was seen on her cheeks.

“He is really handsome and blessed to have you as his girlfriend.” Mdm. Kim said with a gratifying smile. She patted Soo Mi’s hands.

“You have misunderstood. He is not my boyfriend. I mean I like him… No… but he… is…Aish.” Soo Mi wasn’t making sense out of what she was saying.

“It’s okay, my dear, I understand. Don’t spend your Valentine’s Day here with us, these old folks. Go out and have fun with him. You are here for a long time already.” Mdm. Kim said with a motherly smile.

“It’s okay, I like it here.” Soo Mi reassured her with a sincere smile.

“Yea, go on out.” An old man who was eavesdropping their conversation put down his newspaper and said.

“Harabeoji!” Soo Mi said in embarrassment.

After which, many other folks joined in and cheered on Soo Mi to leave with Woo Hyun. Woo Hyun heard the commotion and went over.

“Young guy, bring this pretty lady out!” one of them said with a toothless smile.

“Since many of them said so, Soo Mi, you are not needed here today. Go on out.” The middle aged volunteer from before gestured to Soo Mi.

Woo Hyun extended his hand out to Soo Mi who was sitting beside Mdm.Kim.

“Take his hand. Take his hand. Take his hand.” The old folks were cheering on like kids. Soo Mi looked about shyly and reluctantly placed her sweaty palm onto Woo Hyun’s. Woo Hyun smirked and did a stage bow. Then, the couple left hand in hand. The elderly applauded excitedly as the two exited.

“That was totally embarrassing.” Soo Mi thought to herself.

“Hehes, her reaction just now was totally epic.” Woo Hyun laughed at the thought of it.

Then, Soo Mi realised that she was still holding onto Woo Hyun and quickly withdrew her hand.

“Mianhae.” Soo Mi said as she looked down.

“What are you sorry for?” Woo Hyun asked as he turned back, surprised by her sudden release.

“For bringing you there. I can tell you didn’t quite like it there.” Soo Mi stared at the ground and explained.

“It’s okay. I kind of enjoyed it there after some time. The elderly were really friendly and child-like. But  if you are really sorry, you can treat me to coffee.” Woo Hyun said as he leaned down to Soo Mi’s level.

Soo Mi moved back a little in shock.

“I…I will treat you.” Soo Mi stammered a little.

“Okay. Let’s go to that café then.” Woo Hyun stood there and smiled.

After some time, the two entered the café Woo Hyun pointed. They sat down at a seat near the glass window.

“May I take your order?” the waiter walked over and asked.

“Give me a black coffee and a…” Woo Hyun looked at Soo Mi.

“Mango smoothie.” Soo Mi looked up at the waiter and said with a smile.

“Yes, mango smoothie. That’s all. Thank you.” Woo Hyun handed the menu back and smiled politely.

After the waiter left, there was an awkward silence at the table.

“Ahem.” Woo Hyun coughed in an attempt to ease the awkwardness building up.

“Soo Mi, I am just curious but why do you always look down when you speak to me? As in, you always look at others when you speak… except me.” Woo Hyun asked. The question had been bothering him since the start of the day.

“Umm, that is… I feel a…a little nervous when I… talk to you so I feel… be-etter when I look away…” Soo Mi explained.

“Oh, so that’s why.” Woo Hyun nodded his head.

The waiter returned with their drinks.

Woo Hyun took the coffee and sipped it carefully. Soo Mi grabbed her drink with both hands and started drinking with the straw. Woo Hyun looked at his phone to check the time. It was 1 minute to 8pm. Exactly when the time changed to 8pm, Woo Hyun received a message from L.

“Hey Hyung! Time’s up. Now is the heart breaking part. Reminder to tell the person you are with the truth! I have told mine and the girl is crying badly now. Oops. I kind of feel bad about it.”Woo Hyun read Myung Soo’s message.

He looked up from his phone and at Soo Mi who was looking out of the window. He swallowed his saliva and was ready to break the news. He wondered how she would react once he told her. He kind of regretted to play this game too. He thought that she was a nice girl and it made him feel guilty at the thought of hurting her.

“Soo Mi-ah.” Woo Hyun started.

“Yes?” Soo Mi asked as she turned back and looked down instantly when her eyes met his.

“Umm, that is… Actually, I agreed to be your valentine of the day because of a game I was playing with Myung Soo. It wasn’t for real. We were supposed to accept the third confession of the day and go out with her till 8pm. I am sorry…” Woo Hyun said apologetically as he studied Soo Mi’s expression.

Soo Mi was still looking down. She kept quiet. It was completely different from the reaction Woo Hyun expected. He thought that she would probably cry, scream and shout like most girls would. He was caught off guard. Woo Hyun stared at her in confusion.

“You alright?” he finally asked.

Soo Mi nodded her head and faked a smile.

“I am alright. Actually, I have kind of guessed so when you yelled at the phone in the afternoon. I mean, why would a kingka agree to a fat and ugly girl like me to be her Valentine if it wasn’t for some bet or games? Haha, it’s okay. I am fine!” Soo Mi said with a plastered smile.

It was killing her so much inside to hear the confession from him although she had more or less guessed so.

“You are not that bad. At least, you have an angelic heart!” Woo Hyun said in an attempt to comfort her.

He felt sympathetic towards her when she said negative things about herself.

“I will get going first. Thank you for everything today. It is my best Valentine’s Day in my life.” Soo Mi said as she stood up and bowed.

She left the café with her head still hanging low. Woo Hyun felt a tug at his heartstrings as he looked at Soo Mi through the glass window. He saw her wiping her tears on the street.

“She didn’t cry before me to make me feel better…” Woo Hyun thought.

Soo Mi finally released her suppressed feelings once she was out of the café. She cried hard and was soon out of breath. She inhaled deeply and stopped those tears. She was crying too much.

“I should be thankful already. At least he didn’t reject me harshly today and even became my Valentine for the day…” Soo Mi thought to herself as she walked back home. However, a silent tear still fell due to the effect of gravity.

The next day at school…

Soo Mi went to school and held her head down because people were staring at her. The news of how Woo Hyun accepted her as his Valentine was spread among the students as the hottest news the following day. Then, Soo Mi spotted someone from the corner of her eyes. It was Woo Hyun and Myung Soo. She tucked her head closer to her body and quickened her steps. She knew he would ignore her since she was only his valentine for one day. He wouldn’t lower his ‘kingka’ status to talk to her.

As expected, they brushed past each other and Woo Hyun didn’t even bother to wave to her.

“Oh, isn’t that the fat girl from yesterday?” the queenka from yesterday said.

She walked in front of Soo Mi and blocked her way.

“It seemed like you were accepted just yesterday and ditched today huh?” she sneered and folded her arms.

“Excuse me.” Soo Mi said as she fight back her tears which were forcing their way out.

“It was expected actually… Don’t you agree?” she said as she moved threateningly closer to Soo Mi.

“Enough. No matter what, she is still better than you whom I rejected right away. Don’t you agree?” Woo Hyun appeared from behind Soo Mi and said.

“Oppa?!” The queenka said in her act cute voice.

Woo Hyun grabbed Soo Mi by her wrist and pulled her away from the crowd. Myung Soo was stunned at his hyung’s reaction to the situation.

After walking some distance, he finally stopped.

“Than-nk you.” She said, looking down. A tear slipped out of her eyes and fell to the soil. She tried her best to hold it back but to no avail.

“Look up at me. Don’t feel inferior. Just look at me.” Woo Hyun said to her gently.

Soo Mi raised her face slowly and it was her first time looking at Woo Hyun, face to face.

“Don’t cry. You have pretty eyes.” Woo Hyun said with a smile as he removed her stray tear with his thumb.

Soo Mi tensed up and all she could manage was a stare at him.

“I didn’t see you just now. I wasn’t ignoring you. So next time when you see me, don’t look down. Look at me and wave. Because… We are friends now, aren’t we?” Woo Hyun said with a smile.

Soo Mi stared hard at his face in disbelief.

“Did he just said he want to be friends with me?!” Soo Mi thought. Woo Hyun seemed to know what she was thinking.

“Yes, we are friends. When shall we go to the elderly home again?” Woo Hyun asked her.

“I…I am going to-tomorrow.” Soo Mi stuttered a bit.

“Okay, let’s go together tomorrow~” Woo Hyun said with a cheeky smile.

With that, he waved Soo Mi goodbye and left.

“Am I dreaming?!” Soo Mi mumbled as she pinched herself real hard in her puffy cheeks.

Woo Hyun was back walking and looking at her reaction.

“Haha… She is so adorable!” Woo Hyun thought to himself as he saw her pinch her own cheeks.

 

Author's Note:
Hey people! :D HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY^^
This is my Valentine's creation :D Hope it isn't too bad although i think i didn't write well enough :X
Hope ya comment/subscribe though^^
If you have time, check up my upcoming one shot: You are different.
SPECIAL THANKS TO SUBSCRIBERS! <3
Anyways, this will be my Valentine's gift for Pistachio:D <-- You owe me one too:P
Lastly, thanks for reading:D