Way Back

Way Back

October 30, 2028~

Yena had performed in countless of concerts by herself for many years now. Yet the way her heart kept ramming against her chest so hard was something she had never experienced before.

 

The sight of the church made her feel worse. She knew that after this day, her world will change. Everything will never be the same anymore.

 

“We're here ma'am,” The driver said and proceeded to go out of the car to open the door for the superstar.

 

Flashes greeted Yena as soon as she steps out of the car. The event was supposed to be a private gathering but as one of the most popular idols in Korea, she can never escape the eyes of the people.

 

‘Why are the paparazzi here- Oh, it's her relatives…’ Yena noticed as she saw familiar faces waving at her. She tried to smile and pose for them. She had a small photoshoot in front of the church until one of friends saved her.

 

“Yena-unnie! What are you doing? Get in already!” A tall girl wearing a blue dress called and dragged her away from the commotion.

 

As soon as they reached a less crowded place, Yena was engulfed in a tight hug. “I miss you unnie!”

 

For the first time that day, Yena smiled genuinely. “Aigoo, you really can't live without me Yujin-ah.”

 

“You're exaggerating.” Yujin broke the hug and looked at Yena sadly. “She was waiting for you but you're late and it's about to start.”

 

“I'm sorry. I'll talk to her later.” Yena patted Yujin's shoulder. “I should go.”

 

The grand piano started playing and guests were in their seats. Pair by pair, girls in white dresses and boys in tuxedos walked in the aisle. But everyone was looking forward to the bride.

 

Yena's breath was taken away.

 

At the door, stands the only woman she had ever love. The inspiration to the songs she wrote. Her muse was there walking slowly with her father guiding her towards the person she will marry.

 

Her father let go and she was alone walking towards the altar. Yena couldn't take her eyes off her. It was as if she was casted with a spell.

 

It didn't take long before their eyes meet. She smiled at her so happily with relief. Yena smiled back instantly. It had always been like that. Even though she is mad or annoyed, just one smile from her and Yena's resolve crumbles.

 

‘I love her so much.’ Yena thought as she stared at the woman.

 

Her moment was cut short as another person was arm locking with the love of her life towards the altar.

And the pain Yena felt earlier multiple to hundred times.

 

‘Ah, right.. Yuri is getting married. Not to me.’

 

Yena watched helplessly as the two woman sat in front of the altar. Her vision was getting blurry but she tried to fight back those tears threatening to fall.

 

“If anyone can show just cause why this couple cannot lawfully be joined together in matrimony, let them speak now or forever hold their peace.”

 

Oh how Yena wished she could just straight up take Yuri away from this and marry each other instead but she can't. Yuri is very happy with the person she is going to spend the rest of her life with.

 

Yena wondered what went wrong with the two of them. They had always been together, even inseparable despite her becoming busier when she debuted as a solo idol.

 

‘Why am I not the one beside her right now? Looking at her eyes and saying those words of eternal love.’

 

“By the power of your love and commitment, and the power vested in me, I now pronounce you wife and wife! You may kiss each other!”

 

Yena sorrowly watched the newlyweds kiss in front of everyone. She just wanted to get of there and drink until she forgets about everything.

 

‘If only I was brave enough.. If only I didn't wait for the right chance to confess.. Then maybe… Maybe I would be the one beside her right now..’

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

The wedding reception was held near the church. Her heart may be in pain but as Yuri's friend, she had to go.

 

“Yena!” Once again, she got reunited with another member from IZ*ONE.

 

“Eunbi-unnie!”

 

“I miss you so much duckie.” They hugged each other.

 

“I miss you too unnie.”

 

“Hey, we're all sitting together. Join us. It's a reunion for IZ*ONE.”

 

“Even Sakura, Nako, and Hitomi are here?”

 

“Yeah!”

 

Eunbi lead Yena to the table and everyone crushed her to a hug. She hasn't seen some of them for years especially the jline.

 

They all catch things up with each other. Eunbi is nominated as best actress in a famous award show in Korea. Sakura started an idol agency in Japan with Sashihara Rino. Hyewon has over 100 branches of her restaurant across Korea and Japan. Chaeyeon's dancing studio with her sisters is growing and high in demand. Chaewon became the new CEO of Woolim.

 

Minjoo has an upcoming international film with Marvel. Nako is hosting a high rated TV show in Japan for almost 4 years and counting. Hitomi has made a fashion brand in Japan and she is planning to venture Korea soon. Yujin is working on an album and has another drama ongoing. Wonyoung became an activist helping the environment.

 

Yena was in awe. Her former members were doing so well in everything. Blessings just kept coming to all of them and she is grateful for that.

 

“Yena-unnie, I heard you will sing for them later. Are you ready?” Nako asked. Yena felt that Nako's question had a deeper meaning but she can't show them the pain she feels at the moment.

 

She scoffed and playfully answered, “You're talking to a superstar little missy. I'm born ready.”

 

“Guys!” A voice that Yena knew from the bottom of heart called out to them.

 

“Yuri!!” This time the girls surrounded Yuri, offering their best wishes to the new married woman. Each one of them hugged her. It was a sentimental reunion. They were all finally complete thanks to Yuri's wedding.

 

But the atmosphere turned around when it was Yena's turn.

 

“Save the best for last.” Yujin teased and the others started humming a romantic a tune.

 

They were always like this ever since. They were never ashamed in shipping her with Yuri. Yena wish they would stop. It's hurting her more knowing that many would actually support them if they dated.

 

“Hey guys my wife can hear you!” Yuri scolded them jokingly.

 

“Oh no! We can't have you cheating on your wife the first day,” Minjoo said as she animatedly gestured to prevent Yuri and Yena from hugging.

 

“Move away froggie,” Yuri shoved Minjoo aside. “I miss my favorite unnie.”

 

Yena finally got to hug the woman that she loves after how many months they haven't seen each other.

 

“I miss you too Yuri-ya,” Yena said as she fought down the urge to bury herself in Yuri's arms.

 

The hug was too short. Yena wanted more but she can't ask too much especially that Yuri is now married.

 

Yuri twirled around and asked, “What do you think?”

 

“You look.. Very very beautiful,” Yena answered truthfully.

 

Yuri smiled shyly and Yena swore that if that woman makes Yuri cry she will take matters into her own hands.

 

“Thank you unnie.”

 

“Yenyul please stop flirting.”

 

“We are not!” Yuri denied and smacked Yujin.

 

They all bicker and talk while Yena stared at Yuri in wedding gown. ‘She's really beautiful..’

 

“Hello guys.” And there she was, Yuri's wife came to them. “I hate to interrupt but the program is about to start. Let's go.”

 

“Okay. I'll talk to all of you later,” Yuri said and locked arms with her wife as they went to their table.

 

“Time flies so fast.”

 

“You sound like a grandma Eunbi-unnie,” Yujin snickered and received a smack from Eunbi.

 

“Geez, you guys didn't change at all.” Hitomi commented.

 

The program started and a lot of sentimental speeches were given both by the parents of the newlyweds and some friends.

 

“That was truly heartwarming. Hearing the words of love from the people dearest to you..” The MC said. “We will now take a glimpse of the newlyweds' lives since they were a child. Enjoy the AVP.”

 

The projector started playing the AVP. Baby pictures of Yuri and her wife appeared. The next pictures were their life before they met, elementary, middle, and high school.

 

Their first picture together popped out. The place where they first met, Idol School.

 

Baek Jiheon first met Yuri in Idol School and they became very close. Few months later, Yuri joined Produce 48 where she met Yena.

 

‘Would I be the one sitting there if I had met her first?’

 

Yena stood up from her seat and left the table. She went to the bar and asked for a beer.

 

More pictures popped with the newlyweds and Yena could feel nothing but pain, regrets, and what ifs.

 

In one go, Yena finished the beer and asked for another one.

 

“Here ma'am,” The bartender said.

 

Yena closed her eyes and clenched her fists. Watching them in love shattered her heart into pieces. The worst part is that she is their friend. She has to be happy for their new journey in life yet she can't. She can't because she's hurt..

 

‘I want to go back in time. I want to change everything. I love her! I love her so much! Please, I want to go back!’

 

When Yena opened her eyes, a blinding light flashed from above. “What the?!” She covered her eyes from the light and a second later it disappeared.

 

“You are so pitiful Choi Yena,” A person to her left said.

“Excuse me?”

 

Yena turned towards the person and among the guests, she didn't recognize who it was.

 

“The biggest idol in Korea, heartbroken for not telling her true feelings to her love one. Now she silently mourns in pain for missing her chance,” The person said nonchalantly as she took a bite of the appetizer on the table.

 

Not wanting to be in a gossip tabloid, Yena said, “I don't love anyone right now-”

 

“That!” The person shouted and pointed a finger at Yena. “Because you were never honest with your feelings you are standing here right now!”

 

Yena couldn't help but think again as memories from the past surfaced in her mind.

 

The person went to a table and started eating another set of appetizers. That's when Yena noticed something strange. It was quiet.. Too quiet…

 

The people around her were not moving! It was as if time stopped!

 

“What the hell is going on?!” Yena stood up from her seat and frantically looked at her surroundings. It was only her and the mysterious person who can move. The rest of the people were not moving.

 

“Is this a prank?”

 

The mysterious person chuckled and waved a piece of chicken to Yena's direction. “This is really delicious. They picked the right catering service.”

 

“What the..” Yena continued to look around her surroundings. It absolutely felt surreal to her yet the mysterious person was acting like everything is normal.

 

‘Get a grip of yourself Yena. Understand the situation first.’

 

“Excuse me but who are you? I think you're not a relative from Yuri's side so you must came from Jiheon's?” Yena asked the mysterious person.

 

“Oh, I'm actually not invited to the wedding,” The mysterious person replied and proceeded to the bar where Yena was standing.

 

Yena raised her eyebrow with the answer. She looked at the person from head to toe. The mysterious person was wearing a white dress with sneakers… Sneakers.. Who in the world would go to a wedding with sneakers?

 

“She's definitely not invited alright,” Yena mumbled.

 

“Are you a staff here then?”

 

“Hmm. Not really.”

 

 Yena was getting even more suspicious with the person.

 

“I mainly go to church and attend weddings, uninvited,” The person said.

 

‘A freeloader munching on wedding reception food for FREE? Shameless..’ Yena concluded. She whipped out her phone to call the security in the place to the mysterious person out.

 

But alas, there was no signal.

 

“Why? My manager was able to call me earlier.”

 

“Tsk tsk tsk. Can't you see Miss Choi Yena? I stopped the time.”

 

“Don't be ridiculous. This is not a kdrama. This is a prank you all are playing. It won't take long until someone gets tired acting like a statue.” Yena tried to call once again but there was really no signal.

 

“What is wrong? Is my phone broken?” Just when Yena was about to call again, her phone disappeared in her hands.

 

“What?!”

 

“No one is pranking you superstar,” The mysterious person said. She showed her hand holding Yena's phone.

 

“How did you steal my phone?! Who are you?!”

 

The mysterious person smiled, “I'm G, a fairy.”

 

“……..”

 

“What's with the silence- Oh! You wanna know my twitter? It's @hamsteryuri,” The mysterious person or the fairy said with a wink at the end.

 

“…………”

 

“………………”

 

“I thought fairies are small… You are taller than Yujin!” Yena said.

 

“Hey! We come in varieties. Not all fairies are small!”

 

“……..”

 

“Let's talk about the big elephant in the room, shall we?” G pointed Yena. “In my many years as a fairy, I have never seen anyone feel so much regret in a wedding.”

 

“I'm not regretting anything.. I'm very happy for them. I know Jiheon can take care of Yuri...”

 

“Lies lies lies.”

 

Yena clenched her fist. “It doesn't matter what I feel now. They are married!”

 

Tears were starting to form again in Yena's eyes. She was too late. Yuri and Jiheon had made a promise in front of everyone and above to love each other for as long as they live. They are happy. Everyone is happy about it.. Except her.

 

“Humans are fascinating in a way. You guys make simple things so complicated,” G said.

 

“Why are you talking like you're not human?”

 

“I told you. I'm a fairy.”

 

Yena scoffed, trying not to let her tears fall.

 

“But I'm interested to see what happens so I'll give you a chance Choi Yena.” G looked at the slideshow. “I'll let you go back to that time.”

 

The slideshow was currently showing a group picture of when they were practicing for Produce 48 concept evaluation. All the teams huddled together in their respective team shirts.

 

“You can do that? Time travel?” Yena asked.

 

“Yes. Do you want it or not?”

 

Yena was still suspicious with the fairy but her heart is in so much pain. She'll do anything just to be with Yuri.

 

“I want it. I want to go back in time,” Yena answered with determination.

 

“Then you will. Good luck Choi Yena.”

 

Suddenly, Yena was drowned in blinding light. She covered her eyes with her arms. “Aaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!”

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

“Aaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!”

 

“Yena! Yena what's wrong?!” Someone starting tapping her back.

 

Yena opened her eyes slowly. In front of her was a person that she hasn't seen for years.

 

“Kaeun-unnie!”

 

“What happened? Why are you shouting?” Kaeun asked in concern.

 

“Unnie! How come I only see you now? I didn't see you at the wedding.” Yena was extremely happy to see Lee Kaeun again. The latter went abroad to venture and study 5 years ago. Since then, Yena hasn't seen her.

 

“Wedding?”

 

“Yeah, Yur-”

 

Then Yena realized something. Kaeun was wearing Team I AM polo shirt and so she was.. Not to mention, they were in a practice room.. The Produce 48 practice room.

 

“No way!”

 

“Yena? I suggest you take a rest early. You don't seem well.”

 

“Kaeun-unnie! What is the date today?”

 

“Huh? It's July 4, 2018…”

 

“Holy!”

 

Yena ran outside the room and went to the cafeteria. There she found a sight that she never thought she would see again. Her old friends from Produce 48 gathered in one place.

 

“Yena-unnie!” A familiar voice called out to Yena. She turned around. Standing not far away from her is the woman who stole her heart. She was wearing the orange polo shirt. An indication that she's in the To Reach You team.

 

“Yuri…”

 

Yena couldn't believe what was happening in front of her eyes.

 

‘It can't possibly be true, right? I drank beer earlier. I must have been drunk. I didn't went back in time!’ Yena tried to convince herself in her thoughts.

 

She felt a hand touch her arm. “Yena-unnie, try this. It's good,” Yuri said. She was holding a piece of meat with her chopsticks ready to feed Yena.

 

‘But why does this feel so real?’ Yena stared at Yuri and observed her face. ‘Just awhile ago you were in a wedding dress. Happily married.. Yet how did you get beside me right now looking younger?’

 

“Unnie?” Yuri turned her head away and ate the meat instead. “St-stop staring at me..”

 

“Stare.. How can I not stare at you?” Yena meant it literally since she was still confused and baffled. On the other hand, Yuri and the people at the table took it as flirting.

 

“Geez, can you two seriously get a room? I can't handle this love in the air.” Doah, the one and only savage rapper left on the show, complained and threw a tissue at them which flew in another direction due to its lightness. “Have some respect for the single ladies here!”

 

“At least they know how to tone it down for the show. You have no idea what Yena said earlier during practice!” Yunjin, the main vocal of I AM, chimed in.

 

“Tea time! Spill sis!” Nayoung, the vitamin C of Rollin Rollin, said.

 

Yena didn't remember much of what happened around this time so she just listened to whatever ‘tea’ Yunjin was serving.

 

“Yena brought up that I promised to sing on her wedding day. Yujin asked who she's gonna marry. I know how Yena can be a coward sometimes so I answered for her.” Yunjin took a glance at Yuri and so did the others.

 

“Ooohhh.”

 

“No doubt she's the answer.”

 

“Pffft. She's the only answer.”

 

Knowing that they were talking about her, Yuri pouted and shook her head in disagreement.

 

“Glad we all agree,” Yunjin said. “But Yena said no. Yuri is only for dating. Not marriage.”

 

“What a way to let a girl down!”

 

“Damn Choi. That's so uncool.”

 

“I guess not even Yulyen is safe from break ups.”

 

Even  if this is just a dream, or whatever this was, Yena wasn't gonna let her do the same mistakes again.

 

“Ya! Ya! Ya!” Yena stopped the trio from gossiping more. “It's too early to think of marriage!”

 

“You don't think I'm capable to be a wife?” The question from Yuri sliced the comedic atmosphere.

 

And there was awkward silence…

 

 All of them froze. It was unusual to see Yuri acting very serious and angry(?). They were not sure what was going on in Yuri's mind.

 

Yena, on the other hand, started seeing images of Yuri walking down the aisle towards Jiheon. Her heart was aching once again.

 

“Yes,” Yena answered and three other people at the table looked at her in disbelief.

 

‘I don't want you to get married. I don't want..’

 

“Yunjin this is your fault,” Doah whispered.

 

“This is the start of Yulyen sinking..” Nayoung added.

 

“Noooo.” The three were nudging each other, encouraging the other to break the tension but none of them wanted to do it themselves. They were afraid they might make it worse.

 

“Is that so?” Yuri stood up and left the table with an unreadable expression in her face.

 

Once Yuri was out of sight, the three girls started hitting Yena.

 

“Hey! Would you guy- OW!”

 

“You duck! We know you're a tsundere but wasn't that too much!”

 

“Apologize to the hamster!”

 

“You heartbreaker! Don't toy with her feelings!” The girls continued to playfully hit Yena but they meant their words.

 

“OH MY GOD!” Yena shouted.

 

“Wh-what?”

 

“Guys.. I feel pain from your beating!” Yena exclaimed.

 

“Of course you will feel pain. Girls, beat her up more!” Doah commanded but then Yena asked a weird request.

 

“No! Slap me instead. A real hard slap in the face.”

 

“……”

 

“………..”

 

“Yena… We didn't know you are into that..” Nayoung clung to Yunjin, afraid of the shocking discovery about Yena.

 

“Wait no! I just want to make sure I'm not dreaming! Doah, slap me!”

 

Doah flinched but she then proceeded to fold her arm sleeves. “O..okay. If this is your happiness Yena, then I shall do the honor.”

 

Yena closed her eyes to prepare herself from the impact.

 

“….”

 

“Aaahhhh! I can't do it!” Doah said. “I may look like a savage gangster but my heart is as soft as marshmallow. I can't hurt a fly!”

 

“Oh my goodness. Move. I'll do it,” Kim Chaewon stepped into the conversation and gave Yena a hard slap.

 

SMACK!

 

The slap was too loud that everyone in the cafeteria stopped what they were doing and looked at the source.

 

Yena placed her hand to the cheek that was slapped and froze in her place.

 

“Chaewon I think you overdid it,” Yunjin whispered.

 

“No, that duck is strong.”

 

“Yena?” Nayoung poked the older girl but she wasn't responding.

 

“Did she pass out?” Doah asked.

 

“Then she would be on the floor,” Nayoung retorted.

 

Yena slowly moved towards Chaewon and held her hands. “Thank you so much you bratty raddish. I have awakened due to your slap,” Yena said which earned a raised eyebrow from Chaewon.

 

“I need to find Yuri!” Yena declared before dashing out of the cafeteria leaving the majority confused.

“Wow, Yena is a masochist…” Yunjin commented.


 

Running in the corridor, Yena found Gyuri and Goeun. “Guys, have you seen Yuri?”

 

“Yeah, she went to her room,” Gyuri answered.

 

“Thanks!” Yena ran pass them but immediately went back. “I forgot!”

 

“What?”

 

Yena patted the two girls shoulder and nodded proudly. “It's good to see you guys again. It's been years and I'm happy that your careers are thriving. Bye!”

 

“What is she talking about?”

 

“Maybe Yuri is right. Yena is dangerous today,” Goeun said.

 

“Good thing we told her Yuri went to her room because she's actually not there,” Gyuri said. They saw Yuri earlier and the girl asked not be found especially by Yena.

 

“Maybe they got into a fight? Yuri's eyes were red.”

 

“I think so too.. How rare.. Soulmates do have fights after all,” Gyuri commented which made Goeun laugh.

 

“Still, I believe in Yulyen.”

 


 

Yena arrived in Yuri's room only to find it empty. Instead of waiting, Yena went around and continued looking for the girl. To no luck, she didn't find her and the trainees also said the same thing. She figured that the girl really wanted to be alone.

 

She could only sigh exasperatedly at her stupid mistake. She went back in time to change the future but since she didn't believe the fairy at first, she let do everything and now things are worse than before.

 

“Yena-ssi, where have you been? Practice is about to start and so is filming,” a staff said and approached Yena

 

“Mi Kyung?”

 

Mi Kyung aka @gbmg02. The girl was the youngest staff and one of the people that Yena got close during Produce48. After the show, she never saw her again. Apparently the staff went back to her country.

 

“Come on. Time is precious. The concept evaluation is coming,” Mi Kyung, the staff said.

 

“Wait. Before I go, can you help me?” Yena was determined to make things right and an idea just hit her.

 


 

Yuri was alone in the soundproof room practicing the highest note in ‘To reach you’. But things weren't going well as she hoped for. Her voice kept cracking whenever she was about to reach the note.

 

“Stupid Yena-unnie.” Yuri angrily poked the duck drawing in her music sheet. “I'll get married earlier than you and you will see what you missed.”

 

The knocking on the door made Yuri stop beating the poor duck drawing.

 

“Yuri, I have something for you.” Mi Kyung entered the room and gave Yuri a small chocolate snack.

 

“Ah, thank you Mi Kyung. I'm not in a good mood right now so this helps a lot.” Yuri happily received the snack from the staff.

 

“No worries. If you need me, I'm just around. Hwaiting!”

 

“Thank you~”

 

Yuri started opening the snack when she noticed a small post it behind it.

 

I'm sorry Yuri-ya.

 

Looking at the handwriting, Yuri recognized the owner. She shoved the snack in her pocket. Her appetite was gone.

 


 

“Sorry Yena,” Mi Kyung handed to Yena the fifth snack but this time, it got rejected by Yuri. “She figured out it's from you so she doesn't want it.”

 

Yena sighed. Of course things wouldn't be easy. Life is always hard.

 

“You should talk to her in person instead of doing these.”

 

“She's avoiding me.” Yena sat on the floor and massaged her temple.

 

“I heard gossips in the cafeteria. It's your fault right?” Yena nodded to the question. Her head still down. “And you admit to it?” Yena nodded again.

 

“Then man up and pursue your girl!”

 

“I..”

 

“You don't want her to go to someone else. Trust me.”

 

“Well..”

 

“Stop being an idiot and tell her your true feelings!”

 

“Ye-yes ma'am-”

 

“I can't hear you!!”

 

“YES MA'AM!”

 

“THEN GO!”

 

“YES MA'AM!!”

 


 

Yena barged into Yuri's room. This time, the girl she was looking for was there.

 

“Yuri, I need to talk to you.”

 

“We can talk here,” Yuri said.

 

They were not alone. Nako and Chaewon were in the room. Yena looked at them to signal that she wanted to be alone with Yuri but the latter had different idea.

 

“You can say to them what you want to say to me,” Yuri said as if she was challenging Yena.

 

“Alright.” Yena took a deep breath and stood in front of Yuri.

 

“I am jealous,” Yena started.

 

“Why?”

 

“Jealous of how the system is to the others.”

 

“What? I don't understand..” Yuri didn't expect that or maybe it was Yena's way to escape their fight in the first place.

 

“Women can't marry each other Yuri!”

 

“Ooohhh.” Both Nako and Chaewon swooned. “You know what, I think we should leave,” Chaewon said.

 

Nako agreed. “Yeah, you can take care of this Yuri.”

 

It was year 2028 when gay marriage was legalized in Korea. Yuri and Jiheon were already dating for two years that time. They immediately got hitched when the bill became a law. Yena was happy with the improvement of the system but the love of her life went further away from her grasp.

 

“It hurts to imagine someone else taking you to the altar.”

 

At this point, Yuri wasn't mad anymore. She was starting to understand. It seemed like Yuri wasn't the only one developing feelings in those short months they spent together.

 

“Why does it hurt you?” Yuri asked. She might know the answer but she wanted to be sure because she could get hurt again by a certain duck.

 

“It hurts because you occupy the entirety of my heart.”

 

It wasn't the specific three words but it was still a confession.

 

“We're not even dating yet and you're already talking about marriage.”

 

“I know.. I just-”

 

Yuri embraced the older girl. “The future is scary. I'm scared.”

 

Feeling Yuri's anxiety, Yena hugged back. It was the time of their life when they didn't know if they will make it to the new girl group from Produce48. The trainees gave all what they got to appeal to the national producers. It was a fierce fight between sisters.

 

“I don't think I'll make it..”

 

“Yuri-”

 

“But you can unnie. You will make it and.. You might forget about me.. As much as I want us to date. I'm afraid of the future. Our future.”

 

“We can make it through together,” Yena reassured. She wanted to tell Yuri that the future for them as idols is bright. That they will be in a girl group together named IZ*ONE.

 

“I don't know..”

 

“Then let's have another promise.” Yena raised her pinky finger to Yuri. “If we make it to IZ*ONE, we will let our hearts do what it desire.”

 

“Aijeu.. What??”

 

Yena panicked. How could she slip up such big spoiler in their life. “You know, our future girl group. Haha.”

 

“That's a strange name.”

 

“Anyway, promise me Yuri.” With her other hand, Yena grabbed Yuri's hand.

 

“Unnie.. I.. I promise.” Yuri reciprocated Yena's pinky finger and now they had a new promise to fulfill.

 

“To celebrate, I still have the snacks you rejected earlier. Hold on. I'll get back as soon as I can, okay?” Yena said however, she noticed something weird. Yuri wasn't moving. “Yuri?”

 

“You did it Choi Yena,” A voice coming from Yena's right side said.

 

She turned her head to the side and found another person inside the room. “What the!!!”

 

Time stopped and it was caused none other than G, the fairy from Yuri and Jiheon's wedding. “Your feelings reached Yuri and prevented the wedding from happening in the future.”

 

“Really?!”

 

“You prevented them from dating too. Double win.”

 

Yena felt like crying. If only she had the courage to the confess the first time around then she wouldn't experience the heartbreak of seeing the woman she loves to be wedded to another.

 

“Do you want to go back to 2028 or stay here?”

 

“What would happen if I go back to 2028?”

 

“You will start to remember what happened in the last ten years, the past that you changed.”

 

“Oh..”

 

Going back right away would mean everything would be just a memory and Yena didn't want that. She finally know that she and Yuri have a future together so she would rather repeat the decade and experience everything herself.

 

“I don't want to go back to the future. I want to cherish every moment with Yuri as my future girlfriend.”

 

“Alright. Got it. It was nice meeting you popstar. This might be the last time you would see me.”

 

“Thank you so much for letting me go back! I don't know how to repay you.”

 

“I just want more Yulyen moments,” The fairy said and winked. In a blink of an eye, G disappeared.

 

“Wow..”

 

“Yena-unnie, are you okay?” When the fairy disappeared, time resumed and Yuri was looking at her, confused.

 

“Never better.”

 

Yena was truly thankful. She will not the chance go to waste. From this day on, she will boldly love Yuri.

 


 

~August 1, 2028~

 

Yena had performed in countless of concerts by herself for many years now. Yet the way her heart kept ramming against her chest so hard was something she had never experienced before.

 

The sight of the church made her feel ecstatic. She knew that after this day, her world will change. Everything will never be the same anymore.

 

“Yena, I'm so happy for you.”

 

“You two are superior!”

 

The former IZ*ONE members flocked at Yena when she arrived at the venue. They were extremely happy of the new chapter of their friends.

 

“Yena-ssi, the other bride has arrived. We will start in five minutes,” The wedding coordinator said.

 

The former bandmates gave her a hug before they all went to their positions for the march. Yena stayed near the altar, anticipating for her beautiful bride to come.

 

That memory when see watched Yuri walked the aisle towards someone else was long gone. Without the help of the fairy, she wouldn't be standing here celebrating the most important event of her life.

 

There was a big flash of light by the door before Yena could finally see the silhouette of her soon-to-be wife with her soon-to-be father-in-law. Her eyes started to get teary. She was going to be officially a family to Yuri.

 

“How can anyone be as beautiful as her? I'm the luckiest woman on Earth.”

 

Yuri slowly made her way to the front. Her eyes were only at Yena.

 

“Take care of my baby Yena,” Yuri's father said to Yena in a strong Busan accent.

 

“Yes dad.”

 

The couple link their arms as they walked together towards the altar with big smiles on their faces.

 

The ceremony started and the part which Yena was looking forward the most is the wedding vows. She spent months to make it.

 

Every day she took the time to make sure all of her feelings will pour out and she can't wait for Yuri to hear it.

“The brides have each prepared vows that they will read now,” The priest said.

 


Yena's wedding vow to Yuri:

 

“I have written many love songs to you but there are times when words cannot describe how much I love you. We met at a time when were chasing the same dreams. We were supposed to fight each other but destiny had other plans. We instantly clicked and before I knew it, a minute wouldn't pass without me thinking of you. My feelings only grew stronger through the years. You became vital in my life for you are my inspiration and strength. Although you can be annoying at times but it is one of the things that I love about you. With our family and friends as our witness, I promise to be patient, to be always by your side, and to pour all my love to you and our future family.”

 


Yuri's wedding vow to Yena:

 

“I'm very shy. I don't initiate conversations yet I took the courage to talk to you first and gave you a jelly. Do you know why? Because the first time I saw you I knew you are the one and I am right. No matter how sad my day is, you always manage to make it bright. It could be just a simple thing but we would be bursting in laughter. You make questionable decisions that I sometimes don't agree with like you choosing an ugly colored green pajamas for me. You always nag me to try something different whenever we are abroad but in the end you let me do what I want. I know you do these things because you genuinely care about me and I've never met anyone as thoughtful as you. On this day, I solemnly promise and devote myself to you, my love.”

 


 

The couple felt the love that they were trying to convey to each other through the vow. It was a rare opportunity for them to express their love this way. They were more into bickering and clinging in silence and comfort rather than talk their hearts out.

 

“By the power invested upon me, it is my honor and delight to declare you married. Go forth and live each day to the fullest. You may seal this declaration with a kiss.”

 

The whole church yelled as the two shared their first kiss as newlyweds. Not long they were joined by other people, giving their best wishes.

 

Despite the swarm of people, Yena recognized a tall figure at the back of the church. It was the fairy.

 

She hasn't seen her in a decade but Yena was very glad that the person who made all this possible was able to attend her wedding. She would have handed the wedding invitation herself but fairies don't have a hotline or address.

 

“Everyone! Squeze in and smile to the camera!” The photographer shouted while the others tried to look for a better spot and angle for the best photo.

 

“Say cheese!”

 

“Another one! Can the newlywed kiss for the cam?”

 

The people, most especially the former band members, whistled and teased the couple.

 

“Yuri, I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

The two shared a kiss and they lived harmoniously as wife and wife.

 

~•THE END•~

 

 

 

​​​​​​********

 

For those of you wondering, this is where I originally posted the story: Way Back Twitter AU link

 

Thank you for reading :))