End (3)

Thirteenth Time's the Charm

The huge room suddenly looked small when 13 people stood here and there all around the room. Jongwoon coughed to chase away the awkwardness and prepared himself for the most embarrassing moment in his life.

 

"This is Park Jungsu. Jungsu hyung is my first boyfriend when I was a freshman in high school."

"Kim Heechul, my second boyfriend, though we only dated for two days..."

"Han Geng hyung, my third boyfriend during the last year in high school."

"That's Hwang Miyoung. My one and only girlfriend, also my fourth lovers. We dated when I was a freshman in college."

"Kim Youngwoon, my best friend, but he used to be my fifth boyfriend. Now he's happily dating Jungsu hyung."

"Shin Donghee is my sixth boyfriend. It was when I was in sophomore year."

"You already know Sungmin, but you didn't know that he used to be my seventh boyfriend before dating Ryeowook. We dated not long after I broke up with Shindong."

"You also know about them already, but I used to date both Hyukjae and Donghae, I mean, dating both of them at the same time..."

"Choi Siwon is my tenth boyfriend. Heechul hyung is the one who introduced us to each other."

"Not long before I asked Ryeowook out, I dated him, Kim Kibum."

"Of course you already know about your friend, Kim Ryeowook, aka my twelveth boyfriend."

"Finally, guys, this is Cho Kyuhyun, my thirteenth and current boyfriend."

 

 

After the most awkward and longest introduction in mankind's history was done, Jongwoon looked down as he didn't have any courage left to meet anyone's eyes. The room fell in an eerily silence. No one said anything, probably because they didn't know what to say. After a while, he heard Kyuhyun sighing dramatically.

 

"I remember when you told me about your past twelve relationships, but to see it with my own eyes..."

 

Kyuhyun was about to sigh again, but after seeing his boyfriend's kicked puppy expression, he instead smiled warmly at Jongwoon. Then, he suddenly remembered something very important. Kyuhyun held Jongwoon's hand and intertwined their hands, before looking at Jongwoon's ex-lovers.

 

"Just so you guys know, Jongwoon hyung is my boyfriend now and I won't give up on him no matter what bull the universe throws at us. So, I'd appreciate it if you don't act too chummy with my boyfriend."

"Kyu! Everyone here is older than you so don't be rude to them! Guys, excuse my stupid boyfriend's behavior."

 

Jongwoon scolded his boyfriend and lightly punched his shoulder, but Kyuhyun immediately overacted. The younger man cried out loud and pretended to wince in pain, causing him to giggle and pinching Kyuhyun's cheek as a punishment for being a drama queen.

 

"It doesn't matter if we want to be chummy with him or not anyway. It won't change anything."

 

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun looked at the one who spoke that with such a bitter voice. It was Kibum. The famous actor inclined his head at the couple before silently walking out of the room. The atmosphere immediately became awkward. Before it got more awkward, Siwon and Miyoung smiled politely at them, before excusing themselves too.

 

"Wait, I forget to ask, why are you two together?" Jongwoon asked.

"Oh," Siwon chuckled, "Miyoung is my fiancee."

"We're here for a pregnancy check-up," Miyoung said shyly, but her smile was very bright.

"Oh," Jongwoon was dumbfounded, "Congratulations!"

 

With that said, Siwon and Miyoung bade them farewell and left. Followed by Shindong who said he couldn't leave his internet cafe any longer. Before leaving, he congratulated Jongwoon and Kyuhyun with a fond smile. Next were Sungmin and Ryeowook who said that they would go and resume their shopping trip. At the same time, after making sure that he was alright now, Jungsu hyung and Youngwoon also left not long after Sungmin and Ryeowook. At first, Hyukjae and Donghae wanted to stay with him, but Ryeowook who came back proceeded to drag them out despite their whining. In the end, only Heechul and Han Geng were left with Jongwoon and Kyuhyun.

 

"Jongwoonie, I-"

"It's okay, Heechul hyung, I know you would never betray me so no need to feel guilty about it. But, how did you two meet again?"

"Well... I attended a company meeting three months ago at Beijing and Geng happened to work in the company I had a meeting with. He approached me because he wanted to know about you. We had to work together anyway so we kind of became a drinking friend. Then, I'm not sure when... But we began to think of each other more than a friend... Though we haven't dated each other yet because I feel like I'm betraying you-"

 

Jongwoon threw himself at the older man and hugged him tightly.

 

"No, hyung, you didn't betray me, you never did. I'm perfectly happy with Kyuhyun now so you should find someone who makes you happy too! If that person is Han Geng hyung then I'll be even happier, because I know that he is a good person and he'll take good care of my hyung, right? Han Geng hyung?"

 

Han Geng who stood behind Heechul nodded resolutely. The older man was stunned for a while, then he smiled and laughed heartily before hugging Jongwoon back. Both men seemed like they didn't want to let the other go as they stayed like that. Until Kyuhyun faked a cough and spoke up.

 

"Cough, cough, dear good sir, could you please stop hugging my boyfriend as if you'll never see him again? Thank you,"

"Jealousy bastard,"

 

Heechul snorted but obediently let go of Jongwoon. He stepped back to Han Geng and intertwined their hands with a bright smile on their faces. Before leaving, Heechul looked at Kyuhyun and said in a half-joking half-serious tone.

 

"Yah, you had better take good care of Jongwoonie. If you make him cry ever again, I'll go kick your no matter where you are! I'm pretty sure that the other ex-lovers would love to join me too, so if you still love your then don't ever leave Jongwoonie. He has gone through enough suffering already and deserves all the happiness in the world."

"Heh, you bet! I won't give up on Jongwoon hyung even if you kick my to a pulp!"

 

Heechul snorted again, even Han Geng also laughed along this time. Then, both men bade them farewell and left the room, leaving Jongwoon and Kyuhyun together in the room that was once crowded with people.

 

*********************************************************

 

Jongwoon waited with Kyuhyun for the skull x-ray result to check if the younger man had to stay a night or not. While doing so, they also talked with police officers to report about the motorcycle rider who almost killed a person by running a red light. Between this and that, by the time they were done with the polices and got permission from the doctor to discharge, it was already late in the night. He was about to call a taxi and went to either of their homes, but Kyuhyun stopped him.

 

"Hyung, let's go to Hangang park by the Han River."

"What? No, we should go home. It's late in the night and both of us need a rest."

"I wanna see the Han River at night with you though. C'mon hyung, it's not far from here anyway!"

"Alright, alright, but we must go home immediately after that, got it?"

"Yes!"

.

.

.

.

Since it was almost midnight now, the park was empty saved for some people taking photos of the river at night. Jongwoon didn't forget that their four-months anniversary day hadn't passed yet, so he told Kyuhyun to stay away from the river and stayed where it wasn't too deserted to save themselves from any accident. While they were walking, he noticed that his boyfriend was acting weird and seemed to be more nervous than usual. He couldn't help but get nervous too. He had a feeling that the younger man had something very important to talk with him.

 

"Hyung, I have something to tell you."

 

Here it came. Jongwoon nodded signaling the younger man to keep going.

 

"Ever since you told me about your fortune-telling, I've been thinking of a way to overcome it, and I think I finally found it."

"Really!? How?"

"The fortune-teller told you that your bad luck would leave you alone after the thirteenth relationship, and I'm your thirteenth boyfriend, right? So..."

"So...?"

 

Jongwoon's face turned pale. Fear and anxiety began to eat him alive. On one hand, he knew that Kyuhyun wouldn't give up on him because the younger man said so himself. On the other hand, his insecurity haunted him and kept repeating the fortune-telling in his head, and he thought it might come true because he didn't think he would be able to love anyone again after Kyuhyun...

 

""Marry me Jongwoon hyung! / Don't leave me Kyuhyun!""

"..."

"..."

"What? M-Marry you?"

"Leave you? Why would I do that?"

"But, the fortune-teller said that my bad luck will be gone after the thirteenth relationship and that I won't be able to have a relationship ever again, so I thought that you were about to break up with me..."

"Pfft, hyung, you have to be more creative! The fortune-teller did say that, but have you never consider that by 'won't be able to have a relationship ever again' meaning you'll stop at the thirteenth one for the rest of your life? I've been wondering about it though since the fortune-telling said it's the thirteenth relationship, not the thirteenth heartbreak. That's why I come up with the proposing plan and went to buy the ring this evening. That's all. Say, what is your answer?"

"Yes...! Of course! I'll marry you!"

 

Both him and Kyuhyun couldn't smile any brighter. The younger man took out a ring from his coat pocket and presented it to Jongwoon. The older man's smile almost reached his ears as he placed his hand on his boyfriend's waiting palm. Kyuhyun held the ring with his thumb and his index finger. He was about to put it on Jongwoon's left ring finger, however...

 

 

Caw caw!

 

 

"What the !"

 

Kyuhyun cursed out loud when a crow appeared out of nowhere and snatched the ring before flying off. The couple watched the crow soaring above the river and dropping the ring into the river. Jongwoon and Kyuhyun just stood there dumbfounded. Kyuhyun looked at his wristwatch and he suddenly laughed out loud, unable to stand the ridiculous accident that just happened.

 

"Hahahahaha! Oh my god! This is amazing in many ways! To think that they will go to such length to stop us! Well, it's my fault too. I should've checked the time first before giving you the ring, silly me."

"Kyu! How can you still laugh like that! That ring must've cost a fortune, right!?"

"Calm down hyung, did you think I wouldn't come prepared?"

"What?"

"I knew something like that might happen so I prepared a decoy ring. Actually, I plan to propose to you with a real one at our wedding but I guess it fails now. Well, whatever,"

"What? A decoy ring?"

 

Puzzled, he watched Kyuhyun smirked while taking something out of his other coat pocket. It was a small sapphire-blue velvet box. The younger man looked at his wristwatch again. Seeing that both the hour hand and the minute hand had already reached the number twelve, Kyuhyun got down on one knee and opened the box, revealing a simple but elegant platinum ring adorned with a tiny diamond.

 

"Jongwoon hyung, I'm not sure if my idea will work and if we will get to live free of bull bad luck or not, but I want you to know that, no matter what happens, I'll always love you and stay by your side until death do us part. So, will you marry me?"

 

Jongwoon choked back his sniffle as he tried to come up with something smart to say. Sadly, his brain was too overwhelmed with happiness and joy so it was practically blank. In the end, he could only utter one shaky word.

 

"I do,"

 

Being unable to say anything else, Jongwoon let Kyuhyun put the ring on his left ring finger. After that, he also kneeled down and threw his arms around the younger man's shoulder. Kyuhyun chuckled fondly and hugged his now-fiance boyfriend back. They stayed in each other's warm embrace for a while. Unbeknown to them, higher up above their heads in the night sky, one star shone weakly and blinked one last time, before falling off the sky and disappearing.

 

******************************

 

Four months later...

 

 

"Oh, Heechul, this way!"

"If it isn't you, Jungsu! Man, how long has it been again? Four months?"

"Yep, the last time we met was when Kyuhyun got in the accident."

"Oh, hi Youngwoon! Are you still scared of Jungsu?"

"I'm not scared, it's called respect. What about you hyung? I take it that Han Geng hyung still good at keeping your mouth shut then?"

"Yes, and I'm rather proud of it too, haha,"

"Yah! Geng! Do you have a death wish!?"

"Haha! Hyungs, you guys are still as funny as usual!"

"You're right, Hyuk-ah, I never get bored watching you guys!"

"Donghae! Hyukjae! How are you? And where are Sungmin and Ryeowook?"

"We're doing great, Jungsu hyung. As for those two... Hae-ah, where are they again?"

"If you mean Sungmin-ssi and Ryeowook-ssi, they are with Jongwoon hyung now in the waiting room."

"Hi! Siwon-ah, Miyoung-ssi, long time no see! Do you know the gender of your baby yet?"

"Long time no see too, Heechul-ssi. Yes, I had an ultrasound last week and it's a baby boy!"

"Congrats! we're happy for you two!"

"Thank you, Hyukjae-ssi, Donghae-ssi, when Miyoung-ah is due, I'll be sure to tell you guys so you can meet our little prince!"

"Am I invite to this party too?"

"Shindong-ssi? Of course you are! Siwon-ah and I will be happy to see everyone!"

"What is it with that huge bouquet though?"

"Hi, Han Geng-ssi, oh, this? It's from Kibum-ssi. I saw him walking around the entrance looking suspicious. I told him he can come with me but he turned down my offer, said that he has to go shooting some drama. I'll take his bouquet and his blessing to the grooms instead of him. I'll go see Jongwoon and Kyuhyun now. See you again at the ceremony."

"Excuse us too, Miyoung-ah, you shouldn't stand too long. Let's go find somewhere to sit."

"Then we'll go grab some drinks! Let's go Hae-ah!"

"You two, don't bother the staff! Sigh... Youngwoon, I think we should go after those two."

"Yes, I agree. Jungsu hyung, Heechul hyung, we'll go for now."

"Well, only we are left now. What should we do Jungsu?"

"Why don't we go see what our lovely grooms are doing now?"

"Ha, good idea! I can't wait to annoy that jealousy brat!"

.

.

.

.

When Jungsu and Heechul arrived in front of the waiting room, they were greeted with a scene of commotion. Ryeowook was banging his fist on the door while Sungmin and Shindong (still carrying the bouquet) tried to calm him down. The two eldest men quickly came to settle everything, it was only then that Ryeowook finally calmed down, though he still pouted in annoyance.

 

"What happened Ryeowook-ah? Why did you throw a fit at the poor door?"

"Jungsu hyung! Listen to me! While I went to get a drink for Jongwoon hyung, Kyuhyun dumped Sungmin hyung and sneaked into our room! Now he locks the door and won't let us in! Would you believe that!"

"Calm down Wookie, actually, why are you so worked up about it? You know about that brat and his clingy attitude, right?"

"But Heechul hyung! If the bride and the groom, well, another groom in our case, if they see each other before the ceremony it will bring bad luck upon them!"

 

Before either of them got to say anything, they heard Kyuhyun's voice shouting from inside of the room.

 

"After going through those bull bad luck while I dated Jongwoon hyung, I doubt this silly bad omen can do anything to us!"

 

Ryeowook was about to protest but Jungsu stopped him. The oldest man told everyone to let the couple be and came to get them later just before the ceremony. Ryeowook was obviously unsatisfied but went along with it because he respected the older man. Including Shindong who still carried the big bouquet in his arms, they went back to the reception hall to join everyone.

 

*****************************************************

 

After making sure that all third wheels were gone, Kyuhyun pushed himself up from the door with a huge grin. The younger man then quickly walked to where his beloved groom was sitting and hugged him from behind. Jongwoon giggled and put the phone in his hand on a table to free his hands and hold his partner's hands.

 

"Don't you think you're being too mean with Ryeowook-ah?" 

"I just want him to calm down a bit. I swear he is more excited than both of us combined!"

"Haha, that's a given though. In a sense, he is the one who brings us together. Just like you, Ryeowook-ah wasn't discouraged by my bad luck. If he didn't fall in love with Sungmin-ah, I wouldn't have any reason to break up with him, ultimately, I wouldn't even think about dating you. You should be kinder to him."

"Tsk, I know, I'm upset about it to this day. If only I was hired just a bit sooner, I would have met you before him and I wouldn't have to listen to him bragging about being our cupid, though I'm grateful of him all the same."

"But, wouldn't we have to break up if you weren't my thirteenth relationship?"

"No, I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to win your heart regardless of the number of relationships you've been through. I told you, didn't I? That I won't give up on you no matter what. I just happen to be your thirteen lovers just like in the fortune-telling, that's all."

 

Jongwoon rolled his eyes at his partner's overconfidence but soon smiled instead. If Kyuhyun wasn't who he was, they wouldn't end up together like this, and he might have to live his suffering life for the rest of his life. True to the fortune-teller's words, after Kyuhyun proposed to him, Jongwoon was no longer haunted by misfortunes. If anything, his fortune seemed to get better and better. He no longer ran into any accident or inconvenience every second. His coffee shop made so much profit that he currently considered opening another branch. Even Kyuhyun got promoted to be a manager despite being the youngest in the company. Their lives improved in every way possible within the past four months, just because Kyuhyun proposed to him. In the end, the fortune-teller was right. Jongwoon did go through twelve heartbreaks and stopped at the thirteenth one. Maybe, just maybe, the fortune-telling was made that way because Jongwoon and Kyuhyun were meant to be.

 

 

*Knock knock*

 

"Jongwoon hyung, Kyuhyun, it's almost time for the ceremony now."

 

Kyuhyun sighed and let go of his partner after hearing Sungmin's voice calling for them. The younger man adjusted his black suit one last time, before turning to Jongwoon. He smirked as he extended his hand out to the older man.

 

"I warn you, there is no turning back after this, you're literally stuck by my side for the rest of your life. Are you ready?"

 

Jongwoon snorted and placed his hand on Kyuhyun's waiting palm without a second thought.

 

"That should be my line, brat,"

 

 

 

 

Chuckling at each other, the couple intertwined their hands and headed to the door, ready to step into the bright future together.