fin.

night shift

 

Chaeyoung was humming a song while her fingers were moving a pen on a sketchbook. She was sitting on the sidewalk, not minding the cold weather and the night's darkness. Her only source of illumination was a streetlamp and a bright red neon sign. “The Yoo's Bar" was written on the sign.

She was still focused on what she was doing until a big hand ruffled her short hair. Another girl joined her.

“Writing cringe poems again, midget?”

Without looking at the face, Chaeyoung knew whose voice interrupted her. “Oh, shut the up, Jeong.  I'm drawing.”

“Let me see then.” Jeongyeon cooed. She was about to grab the sketchbook but the owner immediately closed it.

“Heck no.” the latter stood up and tidied her short hair.

Jeongyeon sighed, “So meanie. Whatever then. Get your ready. The bar will open in 10 minutes.”

“Okay, okay.”

***

Shin-Okubo, a place labelled as “Korean Town” in Japan. K-pop merchandises store, Korean restaurants, cafe, street foods, and Korean people their selves are easily spotted here.

Yoo Chaeyoung is one of them. She is a 19 years old Korean born lives in Japan. At night, she works as waitress in one of the famous bars here, The Yoo's Bar. The owner of the bar is Yoo Jeongyeon, Chaeyoung's older sister. The two of them moved to Japan few years ago, for a better life. And their decision isn't wrong, since they become successful with the bar.

“Hyung, new order!” Chaeyoung shouted from the counter. Seeing her sister didn’t shown up, she shouted again. “Hyung! Jeong!”

The coconut haired came from the kitchen. Followed by another girl.

“What?” the older girl looked irritated.

“What?!” the younger looked more irritated. “A lot of orders waiting and you were doing dirty stuff?”

“Low your voice down, Chaeng.” The third girl spoke. She has shoulder length jet black hair. She speaks Japanese fluently, with no Korean accent like the other two girls do.

“Yeah. Me and Momo weren't doing anything like in your dirty mind.” Jeongyeon flicked her sister's forehead, earning a little smack as a revenge. “Two long island ice tea and one martini.” Chaeyoung read the drink order for the bartender, Momo. And read the food order for the chef, Jeongyeon.

“One fries, one club.”

“Roger that.” Jeongyeon started to get the ingredients. When she had to get some eggs for the sandwich, she freaked out. “Oh ! Chaeng!”

Chaeyoung who was wiping the tables startled, “What?! There is a rat again?”

“No! Worse! No eggs!” Jeongyeon’s Japanese got messy as she was freaking out. She grunted, got some messily folded money from her pocket and handed it to her little sister.

“Buy some eggs and come back quick.” Jeongyeon grabbed some coins from her other pockets, “And cigar. The usual one.”

***

Chaeyoung jogged to nearest convenience store, which is just few buildings away from the bar. She already lives in that area for years, and their bar also one of the famous one, so she knows almost everyone in this area and vice versa. She got some greetings as she walked, from street food sellers and random people.

Chaeyoung arrived at the store. As if she knows the store well, she could easily get the eggs. Now she just had to go to the cashier and get her sister’s tabacos.

It was pass midnight already, so there weren’t so many people at the store. Only her and the cashier person. Chaeyoung went to the counter to get her business done. She placed the eggs and when she wanted to choose the tabaco, something caught her attention. It was the cashier girl. She is a little bit taller than Chaeyoung, her long brown hair was tied in a low ponytail. She has elegant figure, Chaeyoung couldn’t stop staring at her fingers as she was scanning the eggs’ barcode.

“252 yen.” Her voice sounded colder than Chaeyoung’s imagined.

“You are new worker here?” Chaeyoung was sure she never seen this girl before. She is kinda cute.

Completely ignored Chaeyoung’s question, the girl just bluntly said, “Do you have point card?”

Her cold behavior little bit pissed Chaeyoung off, but a flirty head she is, she tried again. “How to read your name?” The kanji word on the girl name tag isn’t so common. As a foreigner Chaeyoung doesn’t know how to read it.

“Do you need a plastic bag?” The Japanese completely ignored her.

“I only can read your given name. Minami. Can I call you that?”

“Here is your change. Good night.”

This girl really tests my patience.

A little bit raised her voice, Chaeyoung snapped. “Are you a robot?”

The Japanese ignored her again as if she hears nothing. Chaeyoung pouted. “You aren’t deaf, are you?”

“Can you move? There is a line behind you.”

Chaeyoung looked at her behind, but found no one.

“You just want me to leave, don’t you?”

“You know it.”

“Ugh. Okay. Get me Mevius light, number 48, Minami.”

Instead of getting the tabaco, the cashier just stared at Chaeyoung, scanning her from head to toe.

“What? Mevius light number 48.”

“I’m not selling a cigar to a kid.”

“I’m not a kid.” 

“Prove then. Any ID cards? Student card?”

“I- I left my wallet.”

“Then no.”

“But really I’m not a kid. Believe me.”

“Not with that height of yours.”

“Argh. Listen, it’s not for me, it is for my sister. She is an adult. Just give me the damn cigar.”

“Thank you and good night.”

Chaeyoung never met someone this annoying before. All the other cashier she has met always give her the tabacos, without asking any s.

She was about to rant when her phone rang. Her sister was calling her.

“Hyung.”

“Where the are you? Getting eggs at Korea or something? Get back here quick!”

Chaeyoung put her phone back and got her eggs. She stared intensively at the cashier girl, “Our business isn’t done yet.” Chaeyoung was about to step out from the store, “If my gets flatted because I don’t get Jeong’s cigar, it’s all your fault.”

Hearing that the cashier girl just smirked.

“Nice smirk. Thanks.” Chaeyoung rolled her eyes. She was about to run back to the bar,

“It’s Mina. Not Minami. And it reads Myoui.” Mina tapped her name tag. “Learn your kanji well.”

Chaeyoung groaned, “I hate you.”

***

The sun already rising. A new day is coming but it was a wrap for The Yoo’s Bar. The bar only opens on night time, so when the sun was shining, the workers was getting ready to rest.

But unfortunate for Chaeyoung, she has to stay a bit longer than the others because it was her turn to throw away the garbage. Well, it only took few minutes but with her very bad mood she has right now, she got extra grumpy mumpy.

“Ugh. That Mina girl really piss me off.” Chaeyoung dumped two plastic bags full with trash.

Jeongyeon watch her little sister grumpy face, she thought it was so cute. With a cigar between her lips she smiled, “She is new. Just do flirty magic and boom. Whipped.”

“Hyung. I’m not flirty like you are. And I ain’t gonna meet her ever again.”

“Well, you never know.” Jeongyeon finished her cigar. “Momo and I have a date so, bye.”

After dumping the garbage, Chaeyoung walked home. Jeongyeon, Momo and her live in an apartment not so far from the bar. Just 15 minutes by walk. She was walking thru the shortcuts, since the main road was crowded as hell. Chaeyoung took turn on the small alley when a familiar figure caught her attention. The same figure that caught her attention yesterday’s night.

That cashier girl.

She wasn’t wearing the store uniform anymore. She was wearing flannel shirt and black pants. Her hair was no longer in tied. Her elegant figure seemed troubled, since she was walking back and forth with worried expression.

Chaeyoung’s mischievous side awaken. She walked to the troubled girl.

“Got some problem there, Mina?” she raised one of her brows. Knowing she got teased, Mina stopped her gesture.

“I think we aren’t close enough to call each other by first name.”

“Each other? You don’t know my name yet, though. It’s Chaeyoung.” Chaeyoung attempted to shake Mina’s hand that unsuprisingly just got ignored.

“I knew. I saw your name tag before. I learn my Japanese well, Yoo Chaeyoung.”

“Still annoying, huh. I thought you are only annoying at night.”

“Too bad. It’s 24/7.”

“Hmm.” Chaeyoung crossed her arms. She landed her back on the wall.

“Why aren’t you leaving?” Mina asked.

“I’m waiting.”

“For?”

“You to ask me for help.”

“I don’t need it.”

“I’m generous, you know.”

“Bull.” Mina swore in Kansai dialect.

“Oh. I like that accent.”

“Just go away, won’t you?”

“Hmm. Since you hate me so much, fine. I will leave.” Chaeyoung about to leave the Japanese but the latter held her back.

“Wait, wait!”

Chaeyoung couldn’t hide her smug face. “Yes?”

“Argh. Okay! I need your help.” Mina starched her head in frustration. “I.. kinda lost.”

***

“So… you are from Kobe, just got here for a week and currently in a bad mood.”

Chaeyoung guided the lost girl in the complicated road of Shin Okubo. Actually, Mina’s place isn’t so far but since Chaeyoung wanted to know the girl better, she intentionally chose the complicated route.

“It’s just frustrating that I get helped by a kid.”

“For thousand times, I’m not a kid.” Chaeyoung made turn to the main road. The road was so crowded, the two of them got cramped by human ocean. To prevent get separated, Chaeyoung held Mina’s hand and walked thru people.

They arrived at a small café. Mina asked why the heck Chaeyoung went to café, instead of guiding her to her place. The younger was just smiling widely.

They went in, it was small but comfy café. As the two walked in, a girl with pale skin greeted them.

“Yo! Young Money!”

“Bro Dubs!”

“Oh my God Chaeng, new girl? Again?” the pale girl talked in Korean. “You really should settle in one heart you know.” She smirked. “Oh, nevermind. This new girl is good, Chaeng. You guys looks good together.”  Chaeyoung realized she was still holding Mina’s hands, and immediately released her grip.

She nervously laughed, “Heck no, bro. Just prepare me the usual and something sweet for this girl.”

“Who said I agree to eat with you?”

“You don’t need to agree.”

“Of course I have to.”

“I helped you so you have to listen to me.”

クソガキ.” a/n. kusogaki: ty brat

Chaeyoung didn’t really know what it means, so she just pouted. “Not fair. You should mock me in language I know.”

Dahyun came with a tray of strawberry milkshake and two cakes. Chaeyoung face lit up as her favorite sweets was plated in front of her eyes. She drank her milkshakes, her dimple shown as she on the straw.

She hummed. “Dahyun. You are my favorite person.” The pale girl just laughed. Dahyun placed one cake on Mina’ side, “Miss, Chaeng told me to give you something sweet but I don’t know which you prefer. So, do you want milkshakes, juices, milktea, or smoothies?”

Mina, with straight as board face, “Coffee. Black. No sugar.”

Both Chaeyoung and Dahyun gasped. “Chaeng, this girl is scary. Uh, let me see if I have black coffee.”

“I think I know why you have such a dark personality.” Chaeyoung said with cake stuffed mouth. “You are what you eat.”

“What you eat then?”

“Choochie.” Chaeyoung answered while munching her cake.

“Wha-?”

The smaller girl gulped hard, “Chocolates, I mean. Sorry.”

Dahyun came back with a white mug in her tiny hands. She placed it in front of Mina carefully, as if it was a most precious thing in the world.

“I think it is my first black coffee I ever made. I’m sorry if it doesn’t satisfy your taste.” She shrugged. The Japanese sipped the coffee, closed her eyes, and smiled.

“It is great. Thank you Dahyun.” The latter smiled back, and excused herself, leaving the two behind.

Mina caught Chaeyoung stared at her, her eyes as sparkled as if she was staring at the most beautiful thing. Well, she was right. That second when Mina smiled, Chaeyoung felt that smile is the most precious thing she ever seen. Not only the lips, Mina’s eyes smile also a perfection in Chaeyoung’s, as she wants to stare at it forever. There is something in Mina that Chaeyoung craves.

“You should smile more often. You are beautiful with it.”

Mina went back to her straight face, “I smile if I have something to smile to. I don’t smile for nothing.”

“Smile for me then.”

“Like heck.”

They finished their cakes and drinks. Not many conversations held there, since Mina turned down Chaeyoung’s convo most of the times. But knowing her, she wouldn’t give the Japanese girl up that easily.

***

“Do you like games?” Chaeyoung asked. They were walking pass the game center. Seeing Mina kept staring at the game machines it was kind of obvious that she was into arcades.

The taller girl shrugged, “Not really. I just play on my free time.”

“Do you want to play a bit?”

Mina shook her head, “Nah. Let’s just go home.” Her words be against her act, she couldn’t stop staring at the game center.

Chaeyoung smiled, “I know you want to play.” She held Mina hand at led her inside.

Just like a kid in a candy store, Mina’s eyes lit up. The loud sounds from the machines were like an anthem in her head. She felt energized and, competitive.

She caught her favorite game, the zombie shooting game. “Chaeng, let’s play that!” Mina grabbed Chaeyoung’s hand, dragged her to the machine.

Chaeyoung chuckled, “Yes Minari, Chaeng will play with you. Slow down.”

They played the game, and as expected, they managed to get into the last stage. It was actually just Mina, since Chaeyoung was dead at the first boss. While waiting Mina play, Chaeyoung cheered her like a supportive partner, and snapping some photos secretly.

Mina managed to put her name in top scores board. She put “MCY” as her initial.

“Why MCY?” Chaeyoung asked.

With her gummy smile she answered, “It’s for Mina ChaeYoung.” She hugged her, “We made it to top score!”

At this point, Chaeyoung felt something different from this cashier girl. She is savage, yet so innocent. Elegant, yet so childish. Something so special about her that made her stomach flip.

After succeeded to make ‘MCY’ on top score in several games, they decided to leave the game center.

***

“This is your house?” they arrived in front of an apartment building. It was rather big, bigger than the one Chaeyoung lives in. It was kind of mid upper-class apartment.

Mina nodded. “So, uh. Thank you for showing me the way, Chaeyoung.”

“Aw, where did the ‘Chaeng’ nickname go?” Chaeyoung put a sad face.

The Japanese girl blushed, that nickname really just popped out of nowhere. “I- I didn’t call you ‘Chaeng’ my tongue slipped.”

Satisfied with Mina’s reaction, she smirked. “I know you did, Minari.”

“Stop it you freak.”

“Oh no rude Mina is back.” Chaeyoung jokingly jogged away from Mina. “Time to leave.”

“No, wait!” Mina grabbed the tip of Chaeyoung’s coat.

“Yeah?”

“Can I- Uh, just give me your damn phone!”

“Wha-“

“Just give me.”

Chaeyoung sighed and handed her phone to the grumpy girl. Mina typed something there and gave it back to the owner.

“I gotta go in now. Bye.” Mina hurriedly walked inside. “See you.” She mumbled.

“Wha-“ Chaeyoung completely dumbed from Mina’s actions. She checked her phone, there was a new contact there.

 

 

Minari

0704057xxxx

 

 

She smiled ear to ear. She locked her phone, revealing Mina’s photo that she took while in arcade, and walked away.

 


a/n i tried a simple fluff. did it make you uwu? :<