(Almost) Crashing Into My Heart

yours truly

“In a call that’s

just like the usual banter

One, two hours pass by

Something’s strange, how you feel?

 

The moonlight is getting heavy with time

While the flow of time changes

Give me more messages now

Talk to me before the time out

 

(Don’t be shy)

Your obvious words

somehow made today different

(Don’t say bye)

Turning onto a night that

seems to conceal my useless trembling”



 

The two lane road blurred before her, her vision clouding with uncontrollable tears that dared to slip out. Jinsoul gripped the steering wheel, clenching her jaw, a twinge of pain winding in her heart. She couldn’t find the reason why she was crying, for the breakup between her and her girlfriend had already happened a month ago and the song that they used to always sing together decided to make its dramatic entrance. She thought she was already over her. But her emotions said otherwise.

 

She swiped at her eyes quick with the back of her hand, clearing her vision a bit but unable to get rid of the image in her head of her girlfriend of two years vigorously pounding into one of her closest friends. Her friend underneath Sooyoung, her disheveled auburn bangs sticking to her forehead, beads of sweat dripping off of both of their hot bodies. Jinsoul couldn’t even think about it without tearing up. She had been well aware of their close relationship, though she didn’t know that they were that close. Sooyoung and Jiwoo. Jiwoo, one of her best friends, the cheery and loud ray of sunshine.. ing with her girlfriend ruthlessly. What if Sooyoung had been having multiple affairs with Jiwoo behind her back and she was just too dumb to notice? Now, that was an entertaining yet heart shattering thought to think about.

 

No , it wouldn’t be surprising if everyone had a crush on her girlfriend—or should we say, ex girlfriend. Jet long black hair, cold but captivating eyes, her coquettish smirk that would gain her a damn fan base in a split second—Jinsoul knew it was all too good. The moment Jiwoo’s eyes laid onto her, Jinsoul had a voice at the back of her head that knew something was wrong and kept trying to tell her, yet she ignored it. They were just friends anyway, right? 

 

It had shocked Jinsoul when the woman had approached her and wanted to get to know her better all of a sudden, no doubt. She was so puzzled at the stranger who out of the blue just wanted to be her friend, and then it grew to something more sensual. And the thing that shocked Jinsoul even more was that, Sooyoung made the first move—asking her out. And on their first date, they ed nearly all night despite it being Jinsoul’s first time of doing so. Her girlfriend taught her ways to love, treated her so gently and softly that just won her heart. 

 

Apparently the real emotions that had steadily formulated in Jinsoul’s heart for the woman—had been one sided all along. Whatever she’d thought Sooyoung felt for her, was all just a dream that was too good to come true.

 

Tears welled up again in her eyes and Jinsoul rubbed her face against her bare arm, taking her eyes off the road momentarily. When she looked up again—a hitchhiker appeared out of nowhere, walking along the gravel sidewalk around the road as the car rounded the sharp curve, in a little too close to the inside.

 

“!” Jinsoul’s heart leaped out of her chest and she swerved quick, veering into the opposite lane before swinging back into her own. The hitchhiker jumped to the side, crashing into a pole, then rolling off of the metal and nearly tumbling down the pavement. “, , , ..” Jinsoul slowed the car and pulled over, then got out, hoping she wasn’t in danger of getting the knocked out of her. She moved uncertainty to the back end of her car and hesitated. The girl didn’t look too happy.

 

“I-I’m sorry.. I di-didn’t see.. you.” She swallowed thick, heart racing with such a quick pace that even she’d get arrested. The hitchhiker came towards her, face tight and eyebrows furrowed. “Are you.. Are you okay, m-ma’am?”

 

“Where’d you learn how to drive?” She scowled, adjusting the sports bag strap on her shoulder. “In the bumpers cars at the local carnival?” 

 

“I’m sorry.” Jinsoul’s voice dropped, her facial expression already dimming more. She didn’t blame her for being pissed, though. “I just.. I glanced away from the road for a second-“

 

“I’m fine.” The hitchhiker assured sharply, less annoyed than before as her eyebrows relaxed. She wore a sweatshirt hoodie that was obviously a size too big for her, her delicate fingertips barely making it past the sleeve; she swiped off the hood, revealing dark chocolate brown soft locks of hair and piercing eyes. The corners of her lips curled up into a rather shy smile as she stretched out her hand which caused an odd tingle in Jinsoul’s gut.. and lower. Jinsoul shook her hand tentatively. 

 

“I’m Jungeun.” She glanced off to the side, the hue of her cheeks turning to a slight pink before her expression hardened again. “And sorry about the harsh remark.” She mumbled, then shifted her gaze back onto Jinsoul again, her dazzling smile that took Jinsoul off guard. “Who wouldn’t get pissed off when someone almost ran them over?” The statement made her eyes dim and she nodded softly, averting them downwards at the pavement with a bite of her lower lip. 

 

“Yeah, s-sorry about that.” She mumbled, letting go of Jungeun’s hand. 

 

Despite just meeting, Jungeun felt somewhat disappointed once the contact between them left. She hid it though with the same poker face she always uses. “And you are..?”

 

Her head tipped higher up for her to look at the woman again, her eyes hurriedly settling onto her. “O-Oh! I’m.. I’m Jinsoul.”

 

The quick glance of Jungeun’s eyes and silence that rolled from head to toe on Jinsoul’s appearance wasn’t lost on Jinsoul, and at the realization that Jungeun was actually checking her out made a sudden flood of heat scorch her face despite the brisk chilly air that furled against their cheeks. She averted her eyes quickly away from Jungeun, which still felt slightly puffy from her recent tears.

 

“Where, uh..” Jinsoul cleared . “Where are you headed to?”

 

“Back home.” She’d raise her hand and gesture to the road behind her.

 

“Oh.” Jinsoul rubbed her lips together anxiously. “And you’re… walking all the way?”

 

“My car crapped out on me in the last town back.” Jungeun explained. “So for now, I’m on foot, yeah.”

 

Jungeun leaned against the rear of the car, dropping her bag on the trunk. “Where are you headed, Jinsoul?” She dug out a cigarette and lit it with a lighter she tugged out of her pocket, then took a long drag, letting the smoke sift out of as she gazed at Jinsoul with lazy eyes that Jinsoul found weirdly alluring.

 

“I, uh—“ She her lips nervously, raising a hand to rub her nape. “Seoul.”

 

“What’s in Seoul?” Jungeun wondered out loud, slightly on the cigarette. “Family? Boyfriend?” she arched an eyebrow, changing her nonchalant expression for a split second as a smirk lit up on her face. “Girlfriend?”

 

Shifting anxiously, Jinsoul stuffed her cold hands into her pockets, forcing a smile instead of a wince from such a significant word. “Family.” She said quietly.

 

“Going home for thanksgiving?” Jungeun asked.

 

Jinsoul nodded.

 

“That’s nice.” Jungeun said, smiling a genuinely appealing, non-seductive, smile after tossing the burnt out cigarette on the pavement. She reminded Jinsoul of Sooyoung for some reason, despite them seeming like opposites. The thought dropped her heart just a tad. “It’s good to be with family during the holidays.” She cleared . “You look like you’re about to freeze. How about you get back on your way, love.”

 

Jungeun stood up off the car, and cast Jinsoul a split second tiniest curl of her lip, making her swoon just the littlest bit for an unknown reason that made her puzzled the more she thought about it. “It was nice meeting you, Jinsoul.” Her eyes slowly crawled all around Jinsoul’s body, so slow that even Jinsoul herself can notice where her eyes are directed to. “You seem like a nice little girl, you’re lucky you ran into me instead of anyone else. If it weren’t for me, you’d be on the streets without a car.” 

 

Jinsoul nodded her head silently and for a moment, got lost in those soft brown depths. “Yeah.” She rasped, voice suddenly shaky. “I, uh, it was nice meeting you too.”

 

“Drive safe, lovely.” Jungeun drew back and tugged her hood back up her chestnut brown hair that was just begging for Jinsoul to run her fingers in. Jungeun studied her for a moment again, then moved around the car and cast her a small wave with a tiny smile. “Have fun with your family.”

 

Jinsoul swallowed thick, that tingling sensation heightening as she watched her pass the hood of her car and head down the shoulder of the road. She walked back to the driver door, eyes never leaving the girl who just seemed to catch her interest, and grabbed the door handle, popping the latch; dragging the door open. She started to slide into the car seat, but then hesitated midway when her bottom was just about to come in contact with the leather seat. She doesn’t even know the girl for God’s sake, all she does know though is that she is damn attractive. Her eyes averted to the crushed cigarette on the pavement, swiping her tongue across her bottom lip before finally sitting down, her hands already making its way to the steering wheel.

 

Just as she was about to start the engine, that familiar voice appeared once again. “Hey!”

 

Her eyes widened at the sight of the woman jogging towards her car, breath hitching. She stepped out of the car and away from the door, tilting her head out of confusion. Jungeun approached her.

 

“I..” Jungeun hesitated as if she wasn’t entirely convinced at her own thought, but did so anyway. “Is it okay.. if you could drive me back home?”

 

Jinsoul was at a loss for words, opening and closing repeatedly like a fish. Besides, she needed something to track her off the thought of her ex girlfriend anyway. Plus, the young woman was desperately hot yet adorable at the same time. 

 

Jungeun raised her hands at the silent reply. “Actually, nevermind. You wouldn’t feel comfortable with someone you did just meet anyway, it’s fi-“

 

Jinsoul shrugged and something flickered through her eyes that lent credence to Jungeun’s suspicions that the young woman was nursing a broken heart. “What’s life.. without a little risk anyway? I’ll do it, plus I did almost run you over.”

 

Chuckling softly (that sounded like a lullaby to Jinsoul’s ears), Jungeun nodded slowly. “But if at any point you decide you don’t want me along anymore, it’s fine. You can say so. There won’t be any hard feelings.”

 

“I’m sure it won’t come to that. You seem like a nice person.” Jinsoul smiled, sweet as honey, causing Jungeun want to it right off her lips.

 

“I am.” Jungeun frowned playfully, before letting out a chuckle. She pulled forward the front seat and stuffed her bag into the back seats. 

 

Jungeun glanced at Jinsoul as she shut her door and started the car after taking her place behind the wheel, then pulled back out onto the two-lane road. “So.. you looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with your family?”

 

Jinsoul groaned, then smiled as Jungeun chuckled. “No, it isn’t so bad.” Jinsoul laughed softly. Her face flowed a tender pink from the chill outside. Beneath a head of sleek black hair, she looked a little bit like an angel, or even a doll. “My family is great, it’s just..” her lips tightened, and that inner pain squeezed her eyes. She sighed and shrugged. “I just.. broke up with..” She glanced uncertainly at Jungeun, and added weakly, “Someone. And my family has a special radar that instantly picks up when something is wrong. It doesn’t do any good to fake a smile, it never fools them.”

 

“Well that .” Jungeun murmured.

 

“Yeah.” Jinsoul laughed short.

 

Jungeun leaned forward, closer to Jinsoul, resting her arm on the arm of the seat. “Did you break up with the someone?”

 

Jinsoul shifted in her seat and her lips. “No.” she said quietly, an ache in her voice.

 

“Well, what kind of idiot would break up with a cutie like you?”

 

“Guess she didn’t think I was so cute anymore.” She stiffened suddenly, clearly realizing she just admitted she’d been dating a woman. “I mean..” she cleared and grew uneasy, her muscles tensing.

 

Jungeun smiled. “Relax, Jinsoul.” She said. “It’s cool. I’m not a homophobe, especially since I’ve dated someone the same as me as well. You’re pretty cute, I’m lucky to be in the same car with you.”

 

The girl blushed again and Jungeun groaned inwardly, feeling it in her crotch. ‘Damn, baby, stop that. I don’t want to come home late tonight.’

 

Though, the thought of coming home late didn’t bother her one bit.