Back

Monsters We Become
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He sighs heavily to himself, a quiet mumble as he tries to not think about it. What will become of him, will they be able to stop them? Or will they lose? What if he- Kyungsoo shakes his head tries to not think of it too much. He puts his focus on helping the people around him, digging into the dirt and planting another small sapling. He glanced up at the sky, gloomy, pollution, gently he lifts dirt to place it over the root of the sapling. No matter how much he tries to think of something else, his mind keeps drifting back to him, to the past that exists no more. Gone where the peaceful days of his planet, their planet. The song that once belong to the Tree of Life, no longer sings. The tree that gave them everything was gone, destroyed by the very same people the tree trusted. Everything, everyone was gone, all that remains is three of them. They left to Earth in hopes to have a plan to save them, with the clones that Kyungsoo had grown fond of. Its only too bad that they were only clones. But they were still them, so much resemblance that Kyungsoo wouldn’t help but love him. Love him like the real one. 

He gently pushes the dirt a bit more before breathing in a bit of his power into the sapling, “Grow strong, and clean up this planet alright?” he says softly, patting the dirt once more before he gets up. Dusting off the dirt from the apron. Hopefully, he thinks to himself as he takes a deep breath. That they would win and he would return. He did after all, like a coward ran away when he felt their return. Ran to the farthest corner of the universe in hopes that, no one would find him. He wouldn’t face them again, not now or ever, he scans the fields of saplings he had planted. One of these days, this would be a forest. This would perhaps be a better place, where the children could run free under a bright sky, unlike the one right. 

Kyungsoo sighs softly, rubbing his arm. He wonders how far has Minseok and Yixing had gone. They were cowards after all, they ran from their home planet, they ran away again from a fight. They would never again be able to face them, they left a fight that they would have help but he just wouldn’t. Kyungsoo would never bring himself to face him, the monster who haunted his dreams, the one whom he so bitterly had to seal away. All that malice and fire that Kyungsoo saw in his eyes, he can still see them when he closes his eyes. And feel the fire that burn his skin, the fire that once gave him warmth and love. The fire that would never burn their people, suddenly began to burn them, kill them. It came out of nowhere, much like the water that began to sink people and drowned them. And the light that erased everything and everyone; the lightning that struck people to death and speak much more. These memories all of them haunt Kyungsoo, the screams of the people, the cries for help that he wouldn’t able to answer to. He hears them, feels it, remembers it, and he had counted all the children that were in that planet. He would never be able to forget the number or find forgiveness for himself. 

Because everything had been his fault, if only he tried harder perhaps they would have still been living in harmony. Maybe he should have paid harder attention to the changes then he would have stopped them. No matter how many times they had told him it wasn’t his fault, Kyungsoo just can’t help it. He saw darkness in his eyes, then their eyes, he did nothing because he fool himself into believing when the world was crashing down on him. Three of them had been sacrificed, never to be seen again, then they fought, he fought with everything but in the end he wasn’t able to kill any of them. They were like a family, how would he ever hurt them? 

He wipes the tear that threatens to fall from his eyes, tells himself that its in the past, he should let go. But he knows that would never happen. Kyungsoo hears the head of the village call everyone for lunch, he watches as the people move like robots and lifelessly towards the town house. He wonders, would the Earth end up like this planet one day? Pollution and lifeless? Perhaps, he thought to himself as he follows suit. 

It wasn’t the ideal planet that he would go to, but its for the best….but for who? For the people or for himself? He takes a sip of the soup that was offered as lunch to everyone. It was tasteless, how sad. He sets the spoon down and looks around at the multiple tables with people sitting on them, no color, no talking. It was as if this was some black and white moving picture. But one day when the saplings grows, maybe it would change. And to Kyungsoo that was what made it worth staying in this planet for. He takes another look of the room, and for a brief second. He thinks he sees eyes, the eyes that can only belong t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter