i hate it when we're in the dark for you can't see the way i look at you

darkness [chaennie]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo was a nightly being.

From her raven coloured streams of hair to her love of everything dark and black, one could safely say that Jisoo is indeed a nightly being.

The girl would've been nocturnal if she didn't have to get up for practice and touring.

However, on February 11th 2015, this all changed. It was a sudden thing, the sudden fear of the dark that Jisoo found herself overwhelmed by, and incredibly unexpected.

Along with Chaeyoung's few friends and family, Jisoo had been waiting back in Mrs Park's summer home in Seoul, so she could surprise Chaeyoung on her birthday. Unfortunately, it had suddenly started pouring endless rain from the Heavens not long after Jisoo had arrived, and she knew that Chaeyoung hated the dark: never mind the dark with rain.

The agreed upon time to meet at the apartment had been, what━ seven o'clock at night? Jisoo had started to get concerned at seven fifteen, knowing that Jennie would never normally let herself be so late (especially on such an important day), yet she put it down to Chaeyoung being the one to blame because she probably refused to leave the house.

Now, when Jisoo really started to get worried it had been eight o'clock: more than an hour past the planned time. She paced nervously around the living room, having left her hiding spot at half past, and glanced at her watch every minute or so.

There was a horrible, gut-wrenching feeling in her gut: just like the one you get when you know your date is going to stand you up but, being the hopeless sap you are, you go anyway. It was like instead of Jisoo walking towards her doom━ Jisoo's doom was walking towards her.

And that was defying the course of nature.

"Can we just turn the lights on?" One of the younger children spoke, obviously not feeling comfortable. Yet Jisoo shook her head swiftly and checked her watch for the nth time since her arrival.

"No." She deadpanned, standing still for a moment and placing her left hand over her right wrist. It was something Jisoo had been doing since she was seven, and even now, despite being twenty years old, she still kept her old habit.

Just as she had kept her habit of crossing her arms whenever she was nervous.

Then there was the sound of crying, cutting through the the once gentle yet somehow frantic atmosphere of the room, and Jisoo had to sight inwardly.

It's so dark, She thought, peering out of the window and looking into the deep sky. It wasn't unusual for it to be this dark at such a time, especially in February, but something about the way that even the stars, once beacons of light and hope, blended into the sky and made it completely void of light deeply unsettled Jisoo.

Jisoo snapped the blinds shut once more, sighing to herself and massaging her temples. If anyone were to ask her what was wrong she would've responded with the cheap excuse of the crying giving her a headache. In reality, her concern was a lot less simple.

There were endless possibilities for what could be happening to Chaeyoung (and Jennie) at this moment, but the one that worried her the most was not the thought of them being murdered, no, it was the thought of the two of them falling in love.

Jisoo would eventually recover from the death of her band mates (although it may take many years and even more therapy sessions), but knowing someone had Chaeyoung and was practically waving her around in her face would kill Jisoo.

It was better to have nothing than to have a taste of what could've been.

However, it seemed Jisoo's prayers had been answered, as at half past eight the doorbell finally rang. The sound of someone's arrival had never made Jisoo feel so nervous as at this moment in time: not even when YG himself made a visit to their dorms or when the mail man slipped the letter of acceptance through her door just a few years ago.

Jisoo sped to the door, her mind blanking out everything other than Chaeyoung. It was a swarm of warm thoughts all attacking her at once, each one centred around that one person.

Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung.

"Chaeyoung!" Jisoo exclaimed, throwing the door open and utterly forgetting about the 'surprise' they had planned. Those hours of hard work that had went into making sure everyone knew their exact positions, the money spent on flying Chaeyoung's distant relations into Seoul━ Jisoo had flushed it all down the drain with a single choice... and she could hear that from the colourful collection of curses being thrown her way by the guests.

The girl jumped slightly in shock, as if instead of the party being a surprise it was infact Jisoo that came as the shock,"Oh━ hello Jisoo!" The lack of excitement in Chaeyoung's voice made Jisoo's once anxious yet crooked smile disappear from her face instantaneously,"May I come in?"

Jisoo quickly flashed a stretched grin, holding the door open wide,"Mhm," She replied, stepping to the side and watching as Chaeyoung walked through into the kitchen,"Where's Jennie?"

"I'm here!" A voice exclaimed, swiftly dashing into the apartment and slamming the door behind her,"I just had to run back to the taxi and give the driver the right change."

Inwardly groaning, Jisoo slammed the door (a bit too hard if you ask me) shut and took a seat at the kitchen  stool, ignoring all the heated glares directed at her. When Chaeyoung came and pulled out a seat next to her, Jisoo's lips twisted into a genuine smile as she questioned,"Are you okay?"

The birthday girl glanced towards her friend and nodded, thanking her mother silently as she passed her a towel to help dry herself,"Yeah," Chaeyoung patted her hair with the towel,"It's pouring down out there."

"I can see."

Chaeyoung sighed, folding her arms on the kitchen bar and resting her chin on them,"Why do you do that?" She asked after a moment of silence (not from the rest of the room, of course, they were still busy cursing Jisoo).

"Do what?" Jisoo tilted her head, rather cutely, might I add, like a dog.

The red head gestured to Jisoo, eyeing her up and down,"That! We have a casual conversation and you suddenly become so formal━  it's just so confusing."

Jisoo, unable to answer, decided not to speak and instead to drink her thoughts away.  Well, she attempted to, but Chaeyoung's mother had (luckily) stopped her before she could grab herself a drink.

As Jisoo was about to return to her seat from her failed attempt at getting a beer, she spotted someone sat in her place, Jennie, She thought.

Nearing the two, Jisoo decided to eavesdrop. Now normally she wouldn't even dream about it, but when it concerned Chaeyoung she did crazy things,"Are you okay?" She overheard Jennie speak.

"It's just━ I don't really like the dark." Chaeyoung had whispered, as if her fear was some sort of forbidden  secret.

"Com'ere," Jennie wrapped her arm around Chaeyoung, running her hand up and down her porcelain skin,"I'll always be here for you when you're scared, there's no need to worry."

Jisoo had never been as jealous of anyone as she was in that moment.

Something similar had happened the next year, as well. The girls were huddled in their dorm, blankets draped across their bodies to keep the warmth in, playing Uno. Usually they would have a surprise party for Chaeyoung, but Jisoo didn't feel welcomed by the Parka anymore after ruining the last one.

Jisoo sat between Jennie and Chaeyoung, Lisa directly opposite of her, as she watched the game with a keen eye. So far, it seemed that Lisa was going to win: the girl only had two cards and also a massive tell,"Uno!" Lisa squealed, confirming Jisoo's thoughts as she threw down a +4 card.

Jennie let out a groan and picked up the cards,"This game is dumb." She mumbled, letting out another groan when she saw her massive stack of cards only grow even more..

"That's just because you're losing." Lisa stuck her tongue out, noticing Jisoo take another slice of pizza from the box yet not noticing her place a card down.

Whilst the girls light-heartedly squabbled, Jisoo took the time to steal glances at Chaeyoung. It made her heart heavy the way she looked at Jennie with such adoration and longing.

Why couldn't Chaeyoung look at her the same way?

I mean, there wasn't much difference between Jennie and Jisoo. Their names both started with a 'J', that had to mean something, right? Surely it had to.

Oh, who was she kidding? Jisoo sighed, watching as the playful disagreement between Lisa and Jennie began to die down. Chaeyoung liked Jennie and Jisoo was pretty sure Jennie liked Chaeyoung.

She wouldn't get in the way of her crush's happiness just for her own desire.

"Hey, do you wanna play pocky after this?" Lisa asked, seeing Chaeyoung throw down a wild card.

Pocky, Jisoo thought.

She hadn't played that game in a while.

Infact, the last time she had played it had been with her cousin. It was all in good fun, of course, and they never actually kissed━ but the name brought back so many good memories.

It had been 2008 when her cousin Daniel had came overseas from England. She was only young, freshly thirteen, infact, whereas he was a university student. It'd been one of those suggestions that you make when it was three in the morning, you were almost drunk on sleep deprivation, your stomach was aching from laughter and all you wanted was for that joyous feeling to continue.

So Jisoo had suggested the game as as chance to reconnect the tethers of lost friendship with her cousin since he had moved abroad for his education. Jisoo remembered feeling overjoyed, the two of them leaning in close before separating, and instead of giving her a kiss on the lips (like Jisoo dreamed of giving Chaeyoung), he had given her her a light peck on the cheek and whispered,"I'm so proud of you, Jisoo."

At the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter