Final.

That was Then and This is Now
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

September

 

 

There’s a thin line between love and hate. Or so they say. 

 

Sehun wasn’t sure if he agreed with this sentiment. If he did, it would mean that somehow, some way, some day, he could potentially love Byun Baekhyun. That was impossible. He would rather spend an entire school year in a class of eighth graders than to go out with Byun Baekhyun. That was saying a lot considering Sehun absolutely detested middle schoolers, which was why he chose to teach elementary school in the first place. It was already bad enough that the school went from kindergarten to eighth grade, so he still had to see the older students around campus. 

It was Friday afternoon, towards the end of the day and the students were spending their remaining hour in art class, finishing up their ladybug projects. Sehun was sitting at his desk grading the spelling tests from that morning although he wasn’t actually doing much grading, more so grumbling to himself like a crazy person. 

The screaming and laughing outside his closed door informed him the students were back. He opened the door to reveal an extremely excited Naeun with her ladybug in the palm of her hands. Messily painted with red and covered with little black hearts instead of the normal spots.

“Look, Mr. Oh! Look at my ladybug!” 

Sehun grinned, bending down to look at the painted rock. “Wow, looks like a real ladybug. Nice work Naeun!” 

The six year old girl skipped happily to her desk after receiving compliments from her teacher. The rest of the students quickly poured into class with their projects, earning themselves a “no running boys and girls” from the teacher. He took a look at all the children at their desk and realized there was one missing. Before he could ask the class about it, Seungjae, along with the one person he was hoping he wouldn’t see, came walking  through the door. 

“Look at my ladybug, Mr. Oh! Isn’t it cool? Mr. Byun let me pick the eyes out and everything!” the little boy chirped, looking up at the art teacher beside him. 

Sehun forced the corners of his lips up into a tight smile. Said art teacher looked up at him with a bright grin. How insufferable .

“The kids had so much fun with this project. I’m thinking about doing something similar next week. Maybe a bee next time. Doesn’t that sound cute?” 

Baekhyun was all smiles. All the time.  It should be pleasant. Who would want to work with a grumpy Gus all the time, right? Only when it came to Baekhyun did Sehun find it irritating. He knew  that they work with children, so yes, they should try to look happy most of the time. He just didn’t know how Baekhyun had so much energy all the time. He gave Baekhyun a polite nod and smile as he ushered  Seungjae into the classroom and closed the door before he could say another word.

“Mr. Byun is so much fun, I wish we got to paint with him everyday!” Seungjae grinned from ear to ear, running off to show his classmates his freshly painted ladybug. 

Fun . He was fun too, Sehun grumbled internally. Hell, anyone could help a bunch of six year olds paint rocks and glue on googly eyes. What was so special about that guy anyway? He was frowning, he could feel it. He smoothed out his furrowed brows with his fingers and told the students to pack up their backpacks. If his mother were here, she would nag him about how he’ll get wrinkles and will never find someone to marry if he kept that grumpy face up. 

After all the students are picked up, he spent about half an hour tidying up the classroom and finishing up the grading he failed to do earlier. Once everything was done, he headed over to Junmyeon’s classroom. He, Junmyeon, and Yixing were having their bi-weekly Friday night out. Their last hang out was canceled since Junmyeon had loads of assignments to grade- another downside to teaching eighth grade- and Yixing was visiting family out of the country. 

Sehun had been looking forward to this night for the past four weeks. He had so much irritation about Baekhyun suppressed he just needed to have a night of ranting to let it all out. Plus, it was his turn to choose where they go and he had been craving ramen. 

His favorite ramen restaurant was packed by the time they got there. He blamed Yixing for this. They could’ve gotten there earlier like Sehun had planned, but Yixing was too busy rearranging the music room even though he could’ve done it at another time. It was about a thirty minute wait for a table and by the time they’re seated, Sehun was just about ready to blow before the waters even came out. 

“So,” Junmyeon sighed, like he knew what was coming. Which he did. He always did by now. “Go on with it then.” 

“I just don’t get why we had to get a new art teacher. What was wrong with Mrs. Jung?” 

“She was like eighty and wanted to retire, that’s what.”  

Sehun knew this of course. Mrs. Jung had been working there for over thirty years already when he had gotten hired. There was one time where she tripped over a backpack and ended up in the hospital for a broken hip. Everyone was sure she wasn’t going to come back. 

Sehun huffed, sinking back in his seat. Not a second later the waiter came with their waters and asked them if they were ready to order. Junmyeon claimed he needed more time to decide even though he ordered the same dish every single time they came. He did it every time thinking he’ll venture out and try something new. He never did. 

“What’s wrong with Baekhyun again?” Yixing looked completely clueless as he sipped his water. “I think he’s nice.”

Yixing thought everyone was nice. Even their last principal who was terribly snobbish and basically hated every living thing. It was annoying sometimes, but they were all used to it by now.  

“He’s just so-” Sehun stopped to make a frustrated noise at the back of his throat, waving his hands in the air for no good reason. “He’s just annoying. I mean he’s just such a up. Last week he brought donuts for everyone, remember that? I get that he’s new, so he wants everyone to like him, but he’s just trying so hard. ” 

Junmyeon rolled his eyes. “Hasn’t it ever occured to you that he’s just nice ?  He just always likes to bring in treats, shouldn’t you be happy with free sweets?” 

“It’s not just that. He’s also ...loud. Like all the time. And he talks a lot, like how does someone have that much energy? How’s someone that happy all the time? It’s just so obnoxious and unnecessary.” 

Junmyeon and Yixing exchanged amused looks before turning to the him. “You’re just jealous that all the students love him and give him all the attention now instead of you.” 

Sehun scowled and threw his napkin at Junmyeon. “That’s not true!” He said it a little too loudly just as the waiter came back to take their orders. Sehun quickly shut his mouth and sunk down into his seat, embarrassed. As soon as the waiter walked away he sprung back up and looked at the other teacher with narrowed eyes, his voice hushed this time. “I am not jealous. He just seems fake, that’s all. I hate people like that. No one’s that nice to everyone for no reason. Even Yixing doesn’t bring in donuts for everyone.” 

The music teacher lightly laughed. “I think he just wants to make friends, that’s all. I mean he’s in a new city, new job. I was actually thinking of asking him to hang out with us sometime. We’re some of the very few male teachers under the age of forty-five at the school. He probably feels lonely.”

He knew Yixing was just trying to be nice. He had always tried to see the best in people, even when they didn’t deserve it. Sehun still wanted to gag at the thought of spending time with Baekhyun outside of work. They just didn’t get it since they don’t have to interact with him as much as he does.

“Yeah Sehun, you should know how hard it is to make friends at a new place. It took you like a whole year to finally warm up to everyone when you first started working here.” 

Yixing nodded. ”Give him a chance, Sehun. Sometimes it takes years for someone to make friends in a new place. What if he just wants friends?”

It really bothered Sehun that his friends were being so rational and reasonable about the whole thing. Yes, he knew he was being immature. No, he still wasn’t going to change his mind.







October 

 

 

The week of Halloween might’ve been Sehun’s favorite time of the entire year. Little princesses and Power Rangers running around was always the most adorable sight. Sometimes, even the staff, usually the lower grade teachers, dressed up and decorated their classrooms with pumpkins and cobwebs. Sooyoung’s second graders absolutely adored her minion costume last year and Haseul’s kindergarteners raved about her Belle costume; they were all so happy to have an actual princess as their teacher. 

Sehun usually didn’t dress up, but this year Junmyeon was throwing a Halloween party after work and he insisted everyone come in a costume. So here he was,  in some old stained coveralls he found in a dusty box in the back of his closet and some candle soot on his cheeks. It was as good as a costume anyone was going to get at such last minute.

“What are you supposed to be?” Junmyeon scoffed as he sharpened his bundle of pencils one by one. 

Sehun narrowed his eyes bitterly. “I’m a mechanic, duh.”

“I don’t even think kids know what a mechanic is.” 

“Whatever. At least my idea is original. A police costume, really? You’re so boring.” 

What a petty brat he was being. Junymeon shot him a pointed look under his dark shades and left with his stack of worksheets. Sehun grabbed his spelling test copies and left for class before anyone else could insult his attire. He never understood it when adults were really into dressing up. On his way out of the workroom he collided into another body, his papers spilling onto the dirty ground.

“Damn it.”

“Sorry, should’ve looked where I was going.” 

Byun Baekhyun was dressed in baby blue scrubs and a white lab coat. A stethoscope hung around his neck and he even had a little name tag that read ‘Dr. Byun.’ It irritated Sehun that Baekhyun’s costume looked so professional compared to his lame makeshift ensemble. What a try hard. He just knew all the other teachers were going to go on and on about how good he looked in his doctor costume all day long. The cherry on top to an already perfect day.

The art teacher eyed him from held to toe, proceeding to break out into a that irksome grin of his. “Nice costume, Sehun. A mechanic?” 

Okay, so maybe Baekhyun wasn’t a total bonehead. “Yeah, you could tell?” 

“Of course, it’s a good costume.”

“Woah Baek, looking good,” Chaerin whistled as she walked into the work room, tipping her pointy black hat back. She was a witch every single year. It was fitting since she was known amongst the eighth graders as being a diabolical . Their words, not his. She turned to Sehun, brow raised in judgement. “What are you supposed to be? Forget to wash your face this morning?”

“I’m a mechanic . What else would I be?” 

“I don’t know, don’t get mad at me. You’re the one with the lame costume.”

He decided that the eighth graders were right. She really was a diabolical . Her witch costume wasn’t exactly deserving of the ‘Best Costume’ title either. It wasn’t that hard to put on a black dress and a pointy hat. No points for creativity or effort there. 

“Well I think it’s a good costume. It’s original.” Baekhyun’s smile was all teeth as he looked up at him. Stupid perfect white teeth. 

Sehun knew he was being completely irrational, but Baekhyun coming to his rescue almost made him want to hate him even more. He didn’t need someone else to fight his battles for him, let alone his nemesis. Was it still considered a nemesis if the other person didn’t know about their rivalry? He didn’t know, but the title seemed appropriate. 

Chaerin snatched her papers from the copy machine and strut off to class.  Good thing she taught the older kids. They needed the discipline and the younger ones would surely burst into tears the moment she stepped into class with that scowl of hers. 

“So,” Baekhyun said, rolling out some white butcher paper. “Are you going to Junmyeon’s Halloween party tonight?” 

“Yeah.” This was the first time they’ve ever had a proper conversation. It felt strange, Sehun thought, fraternising with the enemy. Even if Baekhyun didn’t know he was the enemy.

“I’m going too!” He had about five feet of the butcher paper clumsily rolled up in one hand and a tub of paint bottles in the other,  looking in need of some assistance. Sehun didn’t offer any. “This is the first time another teacher invited me to something. I’m pretty excited.” 

“Great,” Sehun said absentmindedly, looking for some fresh packs of pencils on the shelves of supplies. He never knew what the kids did to them, but they go through a pack a week like an addict with cigarettes. “See you there, I guess.”







Even though he had said that, Sehun was not actually expecting to see him there. All of Junmyeon’s friends were gushing over how handsome the art teacher looked in his doctor’s attire, making Sehun suddenly regret not changing into a better get-up before he came. Three people had already asked him what he was supposed to be and Minho even tried to wipe off the soot off his face for him. 

“I can’t believe you invited him.” Sehun tapped his fingers on the cup of cider impatiently, letting the exasperation brew in the space where his heart should be. “You know I don’t like him.” 

Junmyeon’s cheeks were already flushed from the beer he had earlier. Now he was wearing a big puffy green suit around his torso with a single eyeball in the middle, a disturbing smiling mouth south of it. His husband, Kris, didn’t look too happy to be in his bulky, furry suit. It was probably the worst Sully and Mike couples costume Sehun had ever seen. Even worse that those couples who simply wear t-shirts with the characters’ faces on them and called it a costume. Junmyeon had insisted on DIYing it all himself, despite Sehun telling him many times that he should’ve just bought the damn thing. Kris was shedding teal hair everywhere he went and his tail was knocking up against everyone and everything. As if he wasn’t already clumsy enough, they just had to add a massive, fluffy log on his . 

With an amused chuckle, Junmyeon patted Sehun’s shoulder like he would an upset child. “I invited everyone from work, lighten up will you? You don’t even need to talk to him, just act like he’s not even here.” 

It was a bit difficult not to notice Baekhyun being that Junmyeon’s house had an open floor plan and the art teacher was smack dab in the middle of the living room for everyone to see. Junmyeon’s friends adored Baekhyun only after thirty minutes of talking to him, laughing at all his jokes and putting their arms around his shoulders like they’ve known each other forever.  It took weeks for them to actually consider Sehun a friend and not just Junmyeon’s quiet coworker he brought everywhere. It just wasn’t fair. His jokes weren’t even all that funny. Sehun bet that if everyone was sober they wouldn’t have been laughing nearly as hard. 

Baekhyun’s laugh was like a sharp crack of thunder. Boisterous, unruly almost. He’d never seen anyone laugh like that before in his life. It sounded theatrical, like a character from a sitcom. And not even a good one like Friends or The Fresh Prince of Bel Air . Baekhyun stopped laughing once he made eye contact with Sehun from across the room. A smile spread across his face as he waved to him. Sehun quickly looked away, pretending not to see him. It was a total move. He just didn’t have the energy to act cordial tonight.  When he glanced back, the art teacher was no longer looking his way. Sehun felt an angry vein bulging from his forehead as he watched Yixing offer Baekhyun a pumpkin shaped sugar cookie. Traitor .




 

November 



 

“So…” Something was off. Junmyeon sounded nervous, which made Sehun nervous. “I was thinking about inviting Baekhyun to our Friendsgiving dinner.” 

Sehun’s favorite red correcting pen fell from his hand and Yixing anxiously looked at the two of them. “Yeah, right,” he scoffed, waiting for him to laugh say ‘just kidding!’ He didn’t. “You’re joking, right. Please tell me you’re joking.” 

He looked to the music teacher for help, who quickly avoided eye contact by staring out at the street. Junmyeon sighed. “Look, I was talking to him the other day and he told me he didn’t have any plans at all for Thanksgiving. Not even dinner with friends or family, said he was just order take-out and eat alone at home.” 

Huh. It was borderline evil of him for thinking so, but the image of oh-so-popular Byun Baekhyun eating alone in front of his TV like a loser almost made Sehun feel better inside. He suppressed the smile threatening at his lips. It was comforting to know that Baekhyun wasn’t all that superior to him after all. And besides, it just sounded like a cry for attention if you asked him. 

“I mean, that for him . It doesn’t mean we’re responsible for anything. Friendsgiving dinner is just supposed to be close friends. We barely know him!” 

“Have a heart, Sehun,” Yixing said softly. “It’s just one dinner.” 

“Easy for you to say since you guys are practically best friends . How could you guys abandon me for him?” 

“Stop being dramatic, Sehun. No one’s abandoning you. We just don't want him to be all alone during the holidays, is all.” 

Sehun thought his objection was perfectly justified. Thanksgiving dinner had always consisted of Junmyeon, Kris, Yixing, Minseok, Tao, Jongdae, Kyungsoo, and him. It was a sacred tradition and even Tao wasn’t allowed to bring his girlfriend of three months last Thanksgiving. Kyungsoo had said that if anyone wanted to bring a date they would have to prove they were in a life long committed relationship that wouldn’t end in a break-up that would leave everyone feeling awkward. Sehun just knew Tao was going to have a fit over the fact that some stranger got invited and his girlfriend wasn’t. And he would have to agree, it wasn’t fair. Sehun would much rather sit across Tao’s girlfriend, even if she was a bit of an airhead and hard to talk to sometimes, than to sit across Baekhyun all night. 

“Well, we have to vote on it first.” There was no way Kyungsoo and Tao would allow it. 

“I already explained the situation to everyone and they all said it was fine. So it’s just you and majority rules. Sorry, Sehun.” 

Junmyeon didn’t look all too sorry. Sehun resisted the urge to break his pen. 









Sehun spent the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving vacation avoiding Baekhyun around school as much as possible. If he was going to have to spend a whole dinner with him, he was going to have to save all of his energy for that instead of wasting it on fake smiles and courtious small talk in the teachers’ lounge. On the last day of school before break, Baekhyun had brought in adorable little cupcakes decorated in brown sprinkles and candy corn tail feathers to look like turkeys for all the teachers and staff. Sehun refused to eat one even though they were chocolate, his favorite. 

Junmyeon’s house was already smelling of turkey and sweet potato pie when Sehun got there in the morning. Kyungsoo and Minseok were in the kitchen cooking up a storm, Minseok preparing his balsamic-roasted brussels sprouts and Kyungsoo viciously mashing potatoes into submission. Even though it was Junmyeon and Kris’s house, the two homeowners were both banned from the kitchen on Thanksgiving after the whole oven fire fiasco six years ago. Kris barely knew how to fry an egg and Junmyeon wasn’t exactly a renowned chef. 

Sehun set the bottles of sparkling wine Kyungsoo asked him to buy on his way there on the kitchen counter before taking a seat next to Yixing on the couch. “So what time is he supposed to get here?” 

“I don’t know. I think Junmyeon told him six?”

He had half a mind to fake a stomach ache to leave before dinner, but one sniff of Kyungsoo’s famous turkey and his mouth was already watering.  

Yixing placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, giving it a little squeeze. “How’re you feeling?” 

He shrugged. “Like it’s the end of the world.” 

He hissed in pain, his hand immediately flying up to the imaginary bump when he was swatted in the back of the head with a wooden spoon. “ Jesus, hyung. That hurt.” 

“Stop being so melodramatic, you brat. You’re a grown man and it’s just dinner,” Minseok tutted. “How would you like it if you had to spend the holidays alone?”

“Tell me why you don’t like him again?” Kyungsoo piped up from the kitchen. 

The more he got asked that question the more he realized he didn’t even have a good answer, which was just plain embarrassing. It still didn’t stop him from vocalizing his distaste. “Because he’s annoying.” 

“What are you, thirteen?” 

The rest of the gang arrived around five thirty. Despite Junmyeon saying that everyone agreed to letting Baekhyun come to dinner, Tao went on a whole tirade about how it was unfair that his girlfriend didn’t get to come last year. 

“You guys literally broke up the next month,” Jongdae said. “You were only dating her ‘cause she was hot, don’t even try to make us feel bad.” 

By the time Baekhyun showed up on the front porch with a handful of desserts at six o’clock, Tao was no longer sulking. Baekhyun greeted everyone enthusiastically as he stepped inside. A little too enthusiastically, Sehun might add. He mentally gagged. 

“Baekhyun, this Tao and Jongdae. Kyungsoo, aka the chef for tonight, is over there in the kitchen with Minseok, Jongdae’s husband. My husband, Kris, is somewhere around here.”

The art teacher tried waved to Kyungsoo and Minseok in the kitchen, even with his hands full. 

“You didn’t have to bring all this, Baek. You’re our guest.” 

Baekhyun shook his head and waved his hand dismissively after Junmyeon took the pies and cookies from him. “I wanted to, as a thank you for inviting me.” 

“Where you always get all these sweets from anyway?” Yixing asked as he looked through the cutely decorated sugar cookies. 

“My landlady owns a bakery next to my apartment. She’s always giving me discounts.”

Oh great. Do you up to her too?  Sehun’s smile was strained and tight-lipped when Baekhyun greeted him. He was wearing a very large and thick brick red coat, which matched the apples of his cheeks and the tip of his nose. His fluffy caramel hair was peeking out from underneath his firetruck red knit beanie. It must’ve been really cold outside. Underneath his coat was a cream knit sweater that had to be at least two sizes too big for him. Sehun had never seen him look so...little before. It looked like he could just pick him up and put him in his pocket. 

“Dinner’s gonna be ready soon. Everyone come take a seat at the table,” Kyungsoo announced. 

Junmyeon had promised Sehun he wouldn’t have to sit next to Baekhyun, but he didn’t say anything about having to sit across from him. The art teacher smiled at him from across the table through the candlesticks and the autumnal centerpieces. Sehun would have much rather sat next to him than this . At least then he wouldn’t have had to avoid making awkward eye contact with him all night. 

Jongdae quickly took a liking to Baekhyun, which wasn’t surprising since they were both extremely loud and chatty. What did surprise Sehun was the fact that Kyungsoo was laughing at all of the art teacher’s jokes. Like genuinely laughing, not those fake laughs he did at office parties when his drunk bosses were making stupid and borderline offensive comments. Out of everyone, Sehun was at least counting on Kyungsoo to have his back about how irritating Baekhyun was. 

Sehun was cutting his turkey so roughly, annoyed as he listened to Baekhyun tell a funny story about something the kids did in class, that Kris had to lean over and tell him to cool it before Junmyeon killed him for scratching their nice plates. 

“So Baek, you didn’t go visit your family for Thanksgiving or anything?” Jongdae asked, shoving a mouthful of creamy mashed potatoes into his mouth. 

For the first time since Sehun’s known him, Baekhyun’s smile faltered. He cleared his throat, shifting in his seat uncomfortably and pushed around his brussels sprouts with his fork. “Oh, I’m uh- not that close with my family.” 

Everyone took that as a sign to change the subject and Tao began to tell everyone about his new girlfriend, who he insisted he wasn’t just dating for her looks. Sehun couldn’t help but notice how quiet Baekhyun was being now. The art teacher was still politely laughing and smiling at everyone’s stories, but there was something off. His smile was strained, forced. And when Sehun looked closely, he could see a distant sad look in his eyes. How strange . 








Sehun never would’ve thought that silence could be so distracting. Sure, a chatty Baekhyun bothered him. But something about a silent Baekhyun almost bothered him even more. What was wrong with him anyway? 

After dinner Kris suggested they put on a nice Thanksgiving movie. Tao claimed that there were no good Thanksgiving movies, so they should just go straight to Christmas instead. No one objected because who doesn’t like a good ol’ Christmas film?

Jongdae, Tao, and Kris argued over what movie to watch for about half an hour, Kyungsoo and Junmyeon took that time to start washing the dishes so they wouldn’t have to worry about it later. Yixing was half asleep from a food coma on the couch and Minseok was still working on his third slice of sweet potato pie at the dining table. 

“Oh hey Sehun, did you remember to bring that book I asked to borrow?” Minseok asked. 

“Oh right, it’s in the car. Let me go get it.” 

He opened the front door to reveal a red lump sitting on the front steps of the porch. It took him a whole five seconds to realize it was Baekhyun. Sehun could hear hushed sniffling sounds coming from him. Oh god, this was awkward. He was horrible with dealing with these kinds of things. Last year when Tao called him crying after he broke up with his girlfriend, all Sehun could say was ‘damn...that . are you okay? ’ He wondered if he should just pretend he didn’t see anything and slip back inside before Baekhyun noticed him. 

“Oh, hey. Sorry for blocking the way,” the art teacher said, quickly scooting over and not-so-subtly wiping his face with his coat sleeve. 

Too late to back out now, Sehun supposed. He stood there awkwardly, his arms hanging at his sides, not knowing what to say or do. Should he just not say anything and go to his car like he intended? Should he be a decent person and ask him what was wrong? He groaned internally when his conscience told him to do the latter. 

“Are you uh- alright?” Jesus, was this unbearable. Maybe he shouldn’t have said anything at all. It wasn’t like they were even friends anyway. Baekhyun would probably much rather vent to Yixing or Junmyeon than him. 

Baekhyun’s nose and cheeks were red again, although Sehun wasn’t sure if it was from the crying or the cold. “Yeah.”

After a never ending whole minute of uncomfortable silence, he spoke up again. “I just miss my family, that’s all.”

Sehun wasn’t sure if he wanted to open that can of worms. Family matters were always messy. This was leading into dangerous and emotional territory that he was not adept at to handle. Especially since it was Byun Baekhyun, probably his least favorite person in the world. Even though Sehun had admitted he was almost giddy to imagine a miserable Baekhyun, this was just painful to watch. 

“Why don’t you go see them?” 

Baekhyun tensed up and for a moment, Sehun really wished his parents weren’t dead or this would be ten times more uncomfortable. 

The art teacher sniffled a few more times and rubbed his rosy nose with his arm. “They don’t want anything to do with me.” 

His voice was so quiet, barely audible over the festive Christmas music coming from inside the house. Someone must have had let Junmyeon get ahold of his Michael Buble Christmas CD again. Sehun knew he was going to regret it, but he still took a seat next on the steps next to him, leaving a good six inches between them. “Do you... want to talk about it?” 

Baekhyun looked somewhat surprised that Sehun even offered to listen. He hesitated while staring out into the dark, empty street and Sehun was already starting to regret all of his actions in the past five minutes. Was it too late to say ‘nevermind’, go back inside, and act like nothing ever happened?

“Last Christmas someone outed me to my family and my parents told me they couldn’t accept the fact that their son was gay. They told me to never speak to them unless I decided to snap out of it. It’s why I had to move here, to get a new place and a new job and everything. I didn't even know anyone here, but I lived in a small town and word got around and I knew I just had to leave.”

His voice was shaky. Sehun could see the tears welling up in eyes and he thought about tagging in Junmyeon or Yixing to come out here instead because he had no idea what to do. “Oh.”

“Yeah...Sorry for crying. I didn’t mean to ruin the mood of the party or anything...It’s just that this is the first holiday where I usually spend with my family that I was alone. ”

Jesus , what was Sehun supposed to say to that? Now he just felt like a complete for not wanting him there in the first place. His parents had always been so supportive of his past boyfriends. So were Junmyeon and Kris’s. He never had to deal with parents like that . “Well, you aren’t alone .” 

The corners of Baekhyun’s lips finally pulled up into a smile again, which strangely made Sehun feel better because he really did not know how to deal with crying people. “Yeah, you’re right. I’m really grateful for you guys for inviting me. You guys are so nice.” 

The guilt weighed heavily on Sehun’s shoulders. Baekhyun should really be thanking Junmyeon since Sehun literally fought for him not to be there. He had spent months and months hating him ever since he was hired and now Baekhyun was thanking him for being a nice person. Was he an or what? 






December

 

 

Bright twinkling lights hanging from every roof, every tree, on every corner. Three feet of snow on the ground. Coffee shops and cafes packed with people trying to stay out of the biting winter air. This was Sehun’s second favorite time of the year after Halloween. 

Yesterday was the last day of school before winter break. Sehun had bought little winter themed goodie bags filled with candy canes, Santa Claus erasers, and red and green m&ms for his students. Baekhyun had all of the first and second grade classes make Christmas trees and snowmen out of construction paper to hang up in the halls and classrooms. There was green and red glitter all over the floor of the entire school. Sehun felt bad for the janitors. It was going to take forever to get all that cleaned up. 

The table in the teachers’ lounge was filled with winter themed cookies and cupcakes, courtesy of Baekhyun of course. Sehun actually ate one this time, a chocolate cupcake with a pile of green buttercream frosting shaped as a Chrstimas tree on top. It was the best cupcake he ever had. 

After the whole Thanksgiving dinner incident, he was expecting it to be awkward between Baekhyun and him. He would sure feel pretty damn embarrassed if he cried in front of a coworker he barely spoke to. However, Baekhyun didn’t seem to feel the same way. In fact, it made him act even more friendly around Sehun if that was even possible. 

Sehun should’ve been annoyed, but he wasn’t. His tolerance for Baekhyun was a lot higher now. He didn’t know if he considered them friends, even though that was most definitely how Baekhyun thought of them, but he didn't dislike him nearly as much as he did before. The poor guy was disowned by his parents and had no friends in a new city for god’s sake. Sehun wasn’t completely heartless, even if it did seem that way. 

He even agreed to let the art teacher come to their Christmas party without a single protest. Junmyeon and Yixing nearly choked on their food from shock. 

“Since when did you stop hating Baekhyun?”

Sehun shrugged. “I don’t know. It’s just not a big deal, okay? You guys were right, he’s probably lonely being in a new place and job and I feel bad for him.  You can invite him if you want.”

Yixing eyed him curiously. “Why the sudden change of heart? You couldn’t stand to be in the same room as him before.” 

“I just changed my mind. Do you want to invite him or not?” He hadn’t told them about their little talk. It felt wrong telling people about Baekhyun’s personal business. What if he didn’t want anyone else to know and he just told him due to a sudden lapse in judgement? 

The two looked at each other and shrugged. “Okay I’ll ask him tomorrow.”







They allowed Tao to bring his new girlfriend to the Christmas party this year. It was going to be the first time they met her and they all really hoped she was more interesting than the last one. Junmyeon made a group chat for everyone coming and announced that the dress code was ugly Christmas sweaters only . He made it a point that if anyone showed up at his front door without one, they wouldn’t be allowed in until they picked one from his mortifyingly vast collection. Baekhyun and Jongdae spammed the chat with so many emoticons and excited messages that Sehun had to put it on mute. 

Minseok and Jongdae invited him to come over to their place to decorate some Christmas sweaters since Yixing was already planning on coming over. The couple decided on matching sweaters, of course. Minseok’s said ‘I’ve been nice’ and Jongdae’s said ‘I’ve been naughty.’ Jongdae made some very suggestive comments about how he had been naughty and perhaps needed a punishment from Minseok while decorating his sweater. Sehun almost threw up his dinner and Yixing pretended not to hear anything. 

For his own sweater, Sehun decided to go the easy route and simply hot glue some green tinsel garland in the shape of a tree onto the front. It was a good thing the theme was ugly Christmas sweater because boy, was this thing ugly . 

When they arrived at the couple’s house on Christmas Eve they were practically blinded by the amount of lights and decorations outside. They had the whole Santa on his sleigh being pulled by reindeer scene, all in lights atop their roof and countless light up elves and snowmen on their lawn. Their electricity bill must have been through the roof. 

“Don’t they look nice?” Junmyeon looked up at his house proudly, his hands on his hips. “I made Kris put it all up a couple weeks ago.” 

Minseok chuckled, “Poor Kris.”

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were already sitting on the couch with mugs of hot chocolate when they came inside. Kyungsoo was wearing his usual ‘Merry Christmas Ya Filthy Animal’ sweater and Baekhyun was wearing an oversized sweater again. A candy apple red one this time, with little plastic presents and green bows glued all over it. It went all the way down to his thighs and the sleeves fell past his hands, hiding them. He was practically swimming in it. Sehun couldn’t help but find it somewhat cute, not that he would ever admit it to anyone out loud. Especially Baekhyun. It was already mortifying enough admitting it to himself.

“Hey Sehun, I brought some more of those chocolate cupcakes. The ones with the Christmas tree frosting. You liked them a lot, right?” 

He wasn’t even sure how Baekhyun knew that, he never said anything to him. “Oh. Yeah I do, thanks.” 

Dinner was much less uncomfortable than Thanksgiving. Sehun had to sit across from Baekhyun again, only he didn’t mind it this time. Most of the time was spent on getting to know Tao’s new girlfriend. They were all glad she was a lot easier to talk to than his ex.

Usually around eight, after dinner, they would exchange their secret santa gifts, but this year they decided against doing it since Baekhyun was coming and they didn’t want to go through the stress of trying to get a gift for someone he didn’t know that well. Kyungsoo suggested they put on Home Alone instead. Yixing, Minseok, and Jongdae all fall asleep within fifteen minutes, resulting in Kyungsoo angrily grumbling about how they had no respect for a classic. 

Tao and his girlfriend were starting to makeout next to him, prompting him to get up and escape to the kitchen where the chocolate cupcakes were. After shoving a whole one into his mouth, he heard the shuffling of feet on the floor and turned to see Baekhyun staring at him with an amused expression. 

“I’m glad you’re enjoying them so much.”

Sehun painfully swallowed the ball of chocolate in his mouth, ashamed. “I like chocolate.”

“I can tell.” 

They both hopped up and took a seat on top of the counter and Sehun handed him a cupcake before grabbi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter