One

The Prince in the Painting.

Hello here is a short story. Proberly gonna be two chapters enjoy. 

 

 

 

A King. Who thrives from his wealthy riches. No care for his people in the village beyond his palace walls. Has a beautiful wife and a son he adores and will do anything for. In the village a woman weeps the loss of her child. He was so young and has not held through the months of food that wasn't given. His final breath had echoed in his mother's ear. She promised him her revenge shall be cruel. When she arrives in frustration and anger with the intent to kill the King. She sees Minho small and innocent playing in the palace. With grief from knowing her child shall never play again. The witch decided to curse him with death to torture the King most. His pain will mirror hers. Minho the Prince is suddenly witnessed to be surrounded by a magic as she speaks a curse over him. But not killed the Witch finds he instead is trapped in a painting. A painting which is that of a small farm house. A tiny pond. With one cow and five small chickens. He is only 8. 

 

Realising why she could not kill him the Witch is filled with remorse. Witnessed by his mother The Queen orders the Witch be taken to the dungeons and grabs hold of the painting. But the Witch kills herself before they can find out how to save Minho. And in the painting a small child is crying looking at them as if the frame is that of a window. The King is horrified by this news and his wife is grieving her lost son. She carries the picture with her until she died of a broken heart knowing she will never hold her son in her arms again. It was also unknown that she was dying from an incurable illness. Minho saw her final breath. A hurting child is seen within the painting moment by moment weeping. Longing for his mother leaving flowers that grow on the tiny fense in remembrance to her. The King promises to never let him down. 

 

The King then carries the painted picture around. And as the years go by the boy in the picture grows up. He is never seen moving but one moment of a blink he is feeding the chickens the next he is planting and the next he is milking the cow.  Sometimes he is listening to the conversations the King has. The Prince is seen saluting when the King shouts ‘Are you listening son?!

 

Everyone knows about the Prince in the Painting. Some call it a story but others say they have seen it. The King talks to the picture every night. He is teaching him to be a King even if he may never be a King. And Prince Minho sometimes sleeps on the ground outside rather than the small farm house. The picture is always sunny, he is no longer seeing the night.

 

One night the Kingdom is attacked and burning. Villages want the King dethroned.His selfishness has gone on too long. 

 

The King is struck and he passes the picture over to a servant. He begs her to look after it. Junghee believes the story of the Prince in the painting. She knows he was innocent when cursed and hated the Witch. She also would talk and dusty the picture daily. The Prince always waved at her. Giving the King her word she takes it home. 

 

The King was found and murdered by the villages. He died and the boy in the picture is seen crying curled up in grief and loneliness. Junghee shows the painting to her son Taemin. The same age as the Prince. She passes him the painting as they hide from the wild riots and village party that is celebrating the King’s death. 

 

‘Mama why did you bring me a painting of a crying boy?’ The young male asks. 

 

‘That boy is the Prince and we must look after him. His father has died and so we must be his family’.  Taemin looks back at the picture and is shocked to find the boy is now looking at him. 

 

‘He moved!’ 

 

‘Yes he does’. 

 

Junghee takes the painting and places it on the shelf that can view the whole of her home. She bows to the painting and holds her son before her. ‘Your Highness, this is my son. He will have to look after you while I am not here or finding a new job. We shall be your new family. I promise. And I will do whatever I can to help find a way to break your curse’.

 

With one blink the picture shows now a small head peeking up. Another blink and a small weak smile. Junghyun caresses the picture of him. ‘If you need anything let us know’. 

 

Taemin watches the painting all night long. The Prince in the Painting is true.

 

~

 

Minho watches the life of Taemin and Junghee finding it fascinating, a lifestyle so different from his royal home. He is left on the mantelpiece above the fireplace that is never used. The two are poor. But loving. They sing and dance. Minho is often seen moment by moment dancing with the animals too. He likes his new family and even more so when he is with them for special moments and birthdays. 

 

Taemin who talks to the painting mostly keeps him company. He tells him stories and shows his pictures he has drawn. Minho's painting seems happier. They use secret codes to communicate. Actions that create a special bond. 

 

Like when he is seen laughing, holding his tummy when Taemin falls over his own feet. Just like he has right now.

 

‘Yeah yeah laugh all you want you stupid painting boy! No one can hear you!’ Taemin qwips irritated. Rubbing his hurting knee. He looks back and finds the Prince stood arms folded in protest. He chuckles. 

 

He takes tilts the picture towards the kitchen and when he checks next the Prince is sat sulking. 

 

‘Aw come now I didn’t mean it’. 

 

He turns around to grab something to eat, and turns back. Minho is now petting a chicken. Taemin continued to make a simple breakfast. He looks at his tasty meals and back at Minho who is now surrounded by the chickens who are perched around him. 

 

‘Must that you really only ever eat the chicken’s Eggs, corn seeds  and drink milk and water?. One blink and the Prince had turned away looking sad. 

 

‘I wish I could join you for a day and bring you a basket of food. It would be great right?’

 

With their secret code to speak. If his left arm is up it means No. Right means Yes. His right arm is up. 

 

‘You could always eat the chickens and cow?’

 

The next moment Minho is staring with wide eyes. Then he is seen cuddling the animals. His only companions in the painting world. And sticking out a tongue. Taemin laughs. 

 

‘Your loss!’

 

Some days when home alone Minho disappears into the small farm hut. Taemin wonders where he goes. Maybe he rests, maybe there is a whole home he can live in. He isn’t sure how the painting world works. Maybe it’s where it converts his eggs to food. There might be a stove. Other days Minho looks bored and so Taemin will read to him. He recently has been reading love stories. Minho loved them so much.

 

One night he asks. ‘Are you lonely?’

 

Minho’s arm is raised as No. 

 

‘Cause of me right?’

 

Yes