when you see me, when you touch me

when you see me, when you touch me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin had gotten his tattoo for a reason. He'd spent so much of his life being so self-conscious of his body and it had taken twenty-three years for him to feel confident enough to just forget all his insecurities, to love himself. And as a permanent reminder of the mindset he was trying to portray for himself, he'd had the word 'NEVERMIND' tattooed on his right ribcage. 

There was a hidden beauty in that word. It was something you say when you no longer want people to pay attention to whatever you previously said or asked, or it could be directed right at those annoying thoughts and voices in his head that told him that he wasn't good enough. He didn't have to think of those anymore, he didn't have to pay them any mind. Nevermind. A constant reminder of how he wanted to live and continue with life. It was pretty beautiful actually. 

But looking at it now when he was almost nine months pregnant, all he could think about was how he wished he had chosen a better spot and somewhere less prone to so much drastic change. Maybe his arm, on his bicep? Across his wrist? Somewhere constant. When his tattoo was being inked into his body, the position and attention to detail had only been appealed to a thin body that had no ounce of fat on it due to hard work at the gym and a strict diet. Now, with about thirty-five extra pounds on his frame, his tattoo didn't look as perfect as it had the day he had laid in that chair and bore through the pain to get a permanent reminder of his mental maturity. 

Staring into the mirror now with his shirt pulled up to his chest with one hand, the other hand tracing the individual letters of the huge piece painting his torso, he hated everything about the sight. The once clean lines and elegant fade of ink were stretched and elongated, letters rounding out as his skin stretched to accommodate the growth of his baby girl. Losing his figure was supposed to be a small sacrifice since it indeed was prone to change, but he couldn't help and think it was so monumental and scarring. Both physically and mentally. And the physical aspect was his point of focus as the moment, all the changes and differences. 

His belly was littered in stretch marks, red and angry lines covering the pale skin of his midriff. They had started along his hips which were now a healing purple and aged silver and traveled inward towards his inside out belly button in a shocking pink hue. With how flat his stomach has been his whole life, rounding out and adopting an entirely different form was offensive. It was so insolent that stretch marks had even reached as high up as his ribcage and while there weren't too many that touched the slats of his torso, the stretch marks were perfectly placed so that the 'D' in 'NEVERMIND' was distorted with purple rounding out the letter. It left the word 'NEVERMIND' looking like 'NEVERMINO', black and purple, and it was so devastatingly ugly. 

Jimin hated that word, but that's exactly what he felt. Ugly. And he couldn't help it either when he had a mental health history like his. Never being good enough was part of the archive of his actuality, like a bully that was persistent and harmed until there was physical pain in the same plane as mental. The fog of depression always struck at the worst of times, reminding Jimin that he was absolutely worthless, acting as a heavy blanket and cloaking every rational thought and positive embrace. Being pregnant did nothing for his confidence and he wished time would move by faster and discontinue torturing him in the most elaborate of ways. 

The thud of tiny feet against his belly remind him to take a break and to breathe, despite how simple of a solution it was and how little it did to cease the incoming thoughts of self-hatred. Like a bullet train, there was very little to stop his thoughts from arriving when they were so powerful and consistent. His baby was persistent and kicked a few more times, distracting Jimin enough to move his eyes from his ribcage to his belly where he could see his baby kicking underneath his skin. It was a spooky image, one that Jimin wasn't particularly fond of, but it was still astonishing. His baby was right there, right under his fingertips and strong enough to be visible from the outside. Looking down at his bump, he wondered how he had grown so large and why he had to hate t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter