The Next Day

The Plan

                  A sharp light beamed through the glass, directing itself to Chorong’s half-closed eyes. She could vaguely hear the sound of her alarm blaring in the background but she was too hungover from the night before. There was a soft groan that escaped from her lips as she sat up groggily. Much to her shock, she felt a body next to her as she turned to stretch. Her eyes snapped open as a heavy arm rammed into her stomach.

                  “Eunji?” Chorong whispered hesitantly, turning over to push down on her light blue sheets to get a better look. Sure enough, Eunji was passed out next to her, her clothes reeking of alcohol. Chorong resisted the urge to gag and pushed the sleeping girl back under the covers, gritting her teeth as she tried her best to get out of bed without waking her up. Just when she thought she had successfully completed her mission, Chorong heard indistinct murmuring from the gaps of Eunji’s tangled hair.

                  “Are you awake?” Chorong asked quietly, circling her way around the frame of the bed to get a better look. Within seconds, Eunji's arm reached out to snag her, dragging her into a small space next to her. Chorong froze, half of her body lon the bed and the other half aimlessly flailing in the open as if unsure of whether to resist or rest in Eunji’s tight hold.

                  “I shouldn’t be awake.” Eunji muttered in her ear, her hot breath sticking to Chorong’s ear. Chorong cringed at the ticklish feeling, but felt more at ease in the positioning. “But we’ve got a long day ahead of us.”

                  “Hm?” Chorong roughly turned to stare into Eunji's eyes, curious by what she meant by her statement. Eunji just smiled and pushed them both back into sitting position.

                  “Let’s go get something to eat at the cafeteria.” She got up from the bed and stretched out her hand for Chorong to take, “I’m starving.”

                  There was a strange feeling to knowing that Eunji was supposed to keep up an act as her girlfriend, but Chorong had a growing realization that their daily interactions would be far different from the playful child that she was rooming with before. Indeed, her immature habits and way of words did remain in her character, but there was a glint in her eyes and a way that she smirked slyly. Eunji was meticulous with her details and if Chorong wanted this to work, she knew she had to catch up. With a small smirk on her face, Chorong got up from the bed herself, staring teasingly at Eunji's hand that was left dangling in the air. If there was one thing Chorong was good at in a relationship, it was being standoffish. She could hear Eunji chuckle in amusement as Chorong slipped into the bathroom to get ready. They finished cleaning up within a couple minutes despite Eunji’s continued attempts to keep them off track. She would slip in a couple flirty comments here and there, flash her typical eye smile, then initiate a silly touch of affection. Chorong could tell Eunji was gaining much entertainment from prodding her and showering her with attention and all Chorong could really do was accept it with a curt nod or shove.

                  “Let’s get going,” Chorong shouted as Eunji raced back into to her room to grab a coat. It was chilly out and they knew that mornings meant it would be worse than usual. Chorong had suggested that they stay inside but it seemed that Eunji had prepared a plan of how their Saturday would pass. She hopped around in front of Chorong, actively looping in unnecessary circles as she walked and chattering endlessly about anything that she could think of. They started to make out the blurry figures of people walking into the cafeteria for their breakfast and Chorong couldn’t help but feel something catch in at the thought of having to sit through another session of ridiculous encounters. Socializing had never been her thing and having to do it when she had the option of staying inside was unheard of. Eunji noticed her tension and approached her slowly, tugging at a strand of her long hair to get her attention.

                  “It’ll be okay.” Eunji whispered, taking Chorong’s hand boldly and leading her to the entrance. Heads turned to glance at them and there were several locations of whispers from those who recognized Chorong and her notorious beauty. Eunji simply kept her head up and forced Chorong to do the same, tapping her hand impatiently when she felt Chorong loosen her grip. It felt like years when they finally had their food and chose a secluded corner to feast on their meal.

                  “Is this your first time at the school cafeteria?” Eunji asked as she took a spoonful of the hot soup. Her insides churned at the food, clearly not compatible with the amount of alcohol she had pushed through the night before. Even with her high tolerance, she could only stomach so much. Chorong sat staring at her tray before picking up her own spoon hesitantly.

                  “I haven’t really been anywhere on campus except my classrooms.”

                  “We can change that,” Eunji said softly, smiling when Chorong nodded at the thought. They eased into their regular conversations again, joking pleasantly and working out the kinks that they could find in their relationship if they were questioned. And as if they were overheard, Alex entered the cafeteria with two of his friends trailing behind him. They caught sight of the two girls immediately and Eunji could tell by the way Alex’s feet shuffled that he was waiting for the chance to approach them. This was the timing.

                  “Don’t look behind you. Alex is here.” Eunji said in a low tone. She had expected the boy to be here all along and a simple plan that she had formulated was prepared exactly for this situation. Chorong was stiff at the mention of the boy and shifted uncomfortably in her seat, trying to ignore the beads of sweat forming on the palms of her hand. Before she could do much else to express her nervousness, Eunji smoothly pulled her from across the table. Chorong forward and landed perfectly on Eunji’s lap.

                  “What are you doing?” Chorong yelped, startled by the sudden move.

“Don’t be so surprised. I was like this since we were in our dorm.”

                  “Yeah, but we were alone the–”

                  “Shh, just trust me on this one.” Eunji placed her chin on top of Chorong’s head and began to her hair, watching intently as Chorong slipped her face sideways to tuck herself into the crook of Eunji's neck. They rested in that position for a while, trying to ignore Alex’s boiling eyes from afar. He looked as if he was about to snap the metal tray he gripped in his hands. Eunji couldn’t resist smirking as she shifted positions again, this time gently lifting Chorong’s chin with her hand. Chorong fell into her lead again, her eyes closed tightly when Eunji giggled in , her hot breath spilling over Chorong's lips.  It wasn't long before Eunji began to kiss her properly, her lips felt soft and different from when they had first made out in front of Hayoung, Bomi, and Naeun. Within a span of one night, she had already gotten better. Or perhaps, they were more comfortable with their tricks they were pulling. Either way, Chorong was sure this was enough to convince Alex and everyone else that was watching that she was no longer single. Eunji pulled away first, adrenaline pumping through her veins when she turned to see several people staring awestruck at the bold moves from the girl they thought would never date.

                  “Let's go,” Chorong said lightly, then pushed off from Eunji’s lap to walk out of the building. Eunji took it as a sign to follow and she happily did, skipping to catch up with her like an overexcited puppy. The chilling breeze had settled down by the time they were out and Eunji took her chances to push Chorong back into the bench next to her. It overlooked the courtyard where several students were tossing a Frisbee about or walking to their early classes.

                  “What are you doing?” Chorong asked, propping herself up on the bench comfortably.

                  “Publicizing.” Eunji said with a smirk wiped across her face. Chorong hesitated for a second but decided to stay seated, wincing slightly when Eunji scooted next to her and rested her head on her shoulder.

                  “Relax… We’ll just stay here for five minutes.” The sound of her whisper pierced Chorong’s ear and she let her shoulders drop lightly. Her muscles loosened as Eunji began to hum next to her, the sweet music filling the landscape and time that ticked by. The tranquil mornings that Chorong never got to spend outdoors was more delightful than she expected and she felt herself relax in a way she never had in a long while. Sure enough,  five minutes proved to be more than enough time for the news to burst that the cold beauty that had rejected almost every boy in school was dating a mere underclassman. Chorong lifted Eunji’s head from her lap and gestured toward her phone, trying to ignore Eunji’s disappointed expression. She had been getting too many texts to ignore at this point.

Naeun: It’s working… The whole school should know now.

                  Chorong leaned closer to get a better look at a multitude of photos. Some depicted Eunji running her finger teasingly across Chorong’s lips in the cafeteria while others were more recent and captured Eunji pressed up against her ear at the bench they were currently residing at.

Chorong: Where are these even from?

Naeun: Paparazzi basically. It’s all over social media.

… Will you be okay?

                  Chorong let out a small sigh and shifted back on the boards of the bench, letting Eunji’s head crash against the rough wood.

                  “Hey!” Eunji hollered, rubbing the back of her head. Her lips jutted out in a large pout and her brows were furrowed in a cherbutic manner. Chorong chuckled at her immature expression and flicked her gently on the nose, going back to her phone before Eunji could protest.

Chorong: We will be fine.