End

Lucky Item

"So, what is your lucky item for today?"

 

Jongwoon asked while sipping on his coffee.

 

"It's a person who is close to me who likes coffee, aka, you, hyung."

 

Kyuhyun replied with a bright smile and reached out to hold that small hand.

 

"Me again? How comes I'm your lucky item for literally every day?"

 

Jongwoon frowned, but he let the younger man held his hand.

 

"It must be fate."

 

Kyuhyun grinned cheekily and intertwined their hands.

 

******************************************************

 

Jongwoon had known Kyuhyun for all his life. Their parents were close friends since high school and bought a house in the same neighborhood, opposite each other on the same road. Jongwoon was two years older than Kyuhyun. Though they weren't related by blood, Jongwoon thought of Kyuhyun as his own little brother. Both being the only child, they were very close to each other to the point that everyone around their neighborhood knew them as an inseparable pair. From a kindergarten to elementary school to middle school to high school, Jongwoon and Kyuhyun always attended the same school. It was only in a college that they went on their way, Kyuhyun studied Laws while Jongwoon studied Business. Although they studied in a different faculty, both men still hung out together every time they were free of classes. Looking for Jongwoon? Searched for Kyuhyun! Looking for Kyuhyun? Searched for Jongwoon! Because of their closeness, many people often questioned them whether they were in a relationship or not.

 

"No, we're only friend and brother."

 

That was what Jongwoon always answered, though he had never noticed that Kyuhyun's face dimmed down every time he said that.

 

***************************************

 

Jongwoon didn't believe in fortune-telling and whatnots. On the other hand, Kyuhyun was an avid fan of it. Ever since their elementary age, Kyuhyun always watched a daily horoscope every morning before going to school. He especially believed in a lucky item, a particular thing that helps boost your fortune if you had it with you. The lucky item was different each day depending on that day's fortune. However, for some reason, Kyuhyun's lucky items always had something to do with Jongwoon.

 

"Hyung, today my lucky item is a person with small hands. Can I hold your hand?" --- Right, that was when they were in elementary school.

"Hyung, today it says that my lucky item is a person with chubby cheeks. You don't mind if I pinch them, right?" --- That one was when they were in middle school.

"Hyung, this time it's a person with a beautiful voice. It can't be anyone but you! Let's go to a karaoke after school, so I can listen to your voice and get lucky! We can see a movie after that if you want too!" --- And this one was when they were in high school.

 

As he said, he always ended up as Kyuhyun's lucky item and hung out with the younger man until the night fell. Jongwoon really adored Kyuhyun so he had no problem acting as a lucky item. Though he didn't understand why his parents and his friends always looked at him in amusement when he told them that today Kyuhyun's lucky item had something to do with him again.

 

*********************************************************

 

"I'm sorry, but I can't go out with you."

 

Jongwoon watched Kyuhyun turned down a girl from behind. He watched the girl running away with tears in her eyes. He watched Kyuhyun sighed tiredly and walked back to him. Without even thinking, he spread his arms and pulled the younger man in his embrace, hugging him tightly while patting his head soothingly. For some reason, Kyuhyun's body stiffened up for a second, but he slowly returned the hug. Kyuhyun rested his forehead on Jongwoon's shoulder and sighed again.

 

"Hyung, I hate this. When will people stop confessing to me?"

"Well, as long as you're still single, people will think that they still have a chance to win your heart, won't they?"

"But I already have you! Hyung, I don't need anyone but you!"

 

It was Jongwoon's turn to sigh.

 

"No, Kyu, I can't baby you forever. Someday, both of us will find a person whom we want to spend the rest of our lives with and we have to separate from each other."

"No! I don't- I- Just, please don't say that, hyung,"

 

Kyuhyun hugged him tighter.

Jongwoon sighed.

 

"Alright, alright, I won't say it again."

 

As Jongwoon patted Kyuhyun's head to calm him down, he couldn't help but wonder why Kyuhyun was so fixed on him?

 

****************************************************************

 

It was a coincidence to run into Siwon.

 

"Jongwoon hyung?"

"Siwon?"

 

Jongwoon couldn't help a smile making its way to his face. He let go of Kyuhyun's hand to stand up and hug the taller man. Pulling away with a bright smile, he invited Siwon to sit at their table. Siwon studied in the same elementary school as him and Kyuhyun. He moved to America after graduating from elementary school so they lost contact. He didn't know that the taller man had come back to Korea now, even applied in the same college. Jongwoon was very fond of Siwon so he eagerly asked about the taller man daily life and whatnots, hoping to stay connect this time. However, while he was chatting with Siwon, Kyuhyun's face gradually got darker and darker. Eventually, he stood up and held Jongwoon's hand firmly, trying to pull the older man up with him.

 

"Hyung, let go, I don't feel like sitting here anymore."

"What? But I want to keep talking with Siwon! It's been so long since we met him!"

 

Kyuhyun's face twisted.

 

"Come on hyung, you're my lucky item, you won't leave me alone, right?"

"Lucky item?" Siwon raised his eyebrow.

"Did you forget about it Siwon? He's been keeping at it since when we were in elementary school, saying that I'm his lucky item."

 

Siwon looked utterly surprised to hear that. He looked at Kyuhyun then back at Jongwoon. The taller man was about to say something but Kyuhyun interrupted him with a displeasing snarl. However, when he turned to look at Jongwoon, his face softened down as he pouted at the older man.

 

"Hyuuung, let go!"

"Urgh, fine, fine. Siwon, see you again!"

 

Jongwoon gave in to the younger man's whine. He bade farewell to Siwon and quickly followed Kyuhyun out of the cafe.

.

.

.

.

"Kyu, that wasn't very nice of you. Isn't Siwon your friend too?"

"No, he was only my classmate, nothing more. Hyung, let go to my home and play a game!"

 

Jongwoon forcefully pulled Kyuhyun to stop walking.

 

"Kyu, I never mind being your lucky item, but don't you forget that I'm still a human being. You can't stop me from hanging out with my friends."

"Hyung, have I ever did that? I've never minded you hanging out with Heechul hyung or Kangin hyung, haven't I?"

"Then why can't I hang out with Siwon? He is my friend too!"

 

Kyuhyun stared at Jongwoon as if the older man just said something ridiculous. The younger man sighed loudly and pulled the older man into a hug.

 

"You won't understand it even if I tell you, hyung."

"What?"

 

Jongwoon was confused but he didn't linger on the topic any longer because he didn't want to make Kyuhyun upset. Instead, he hugged Kyuhyun back and hummed a soft melody to calm the younger down. It worked wonderfully as Kyuhyun's face immediately brightened up.

 

***********************************************

 

"I don't get it. Why does Kyu hate me hanging out with you so much? He isn't this upset when I'm with Heebongie or Yongwoon or Jungsu hyung. Well, he was when I first introduced him to them, but he was cool with it after that. It's just you that seems to get on his nerve."

"Haha, I bet you're the only one who doesn't know the reason, hyung."

"What? Why me? Wait, now that I think about it, my friends used to say something like that too."

 

Jongwoon frowned as he used a spoon to stir his coffee. Siwon who sat opposite of him chuckled and sipped on his own coffee. They were in the cafe where they met last time. Kyuhyun had a class now so he didn't come here, though Jongwoon did tell the younger man that he would hang out with Siwon so he wouldn't get upset about it. It took some time but Kyuhyun eventually and reluctantly let go of Jongwoon's hand to go to his class, though not before saying again and again that he would pick Jongwoon up from the cafe himself after the class.

 

"Hmm... Actually, this isn't my place to say it, but as your old friend and dongsaeng I think I can give you some hints?"

"Yes, please do, I begin to get tired of guessing Kyu's thought now."

"Alright, just promise me that you won't tell that guy I'm the one who tells you. I don't want to get on his bad side!"

"I promise,"

"Ok, the first hint is I used to have a crush on you when we were in elementary school, the second hint is, try watching the daily horoscope tomorrow morning."

"Wait, what!? Siwon, you used to like me!?"

"Yes, it was a puppy love of a sort, you were very kind to me so I couldn't help it. But don't worry, I already have a girlfriend now. That feeling is nothing but a fond memory to me."

"Huh? You even have a girlfriend now? Congrats! But what do you crushing on me and daily horoscope have anything to do with Kyuhyun's weird behavior?"

"I begin to feel bad for Kyuhyun now. Hyung, the answer is literally right in front of your nose. If you still don't get it after I gave you such obvious hints, you'll probably get it on your wedding day."

"What? My wedding day? With who?"

 

Siwon laughed heartily but kept his mouth shut. In the end, Jongwoon couldn't get any answer from the taller man. He went back home with Kyuhyun with many questions in his head.

 

************************************************************

 

The next morning, Jongwoon surprised his parents by waking up before the alarm clock. He sat down on a sofa in front of a tv in the living room. A cup of coffee in his right hand and a remote controller in his left hand. He decided to follow Siwon's hint and watched today's daily horoscope program. Although he had never watched it before, he knew that the program came after the morning news. While he was watching the news about some duo k-pop idols named Ryeowook and Sungmin, his mother came into the living room. The elder woman smiled kindly and sat down beside her son.

 

"Is there some news that interested you? You've never woken before the alarm before."

"No umma, I want to watch the daily horoscope program."

 

For some reason, his mother looked even more surprised than seeing him waking up before the time.

 

"O-Oh, I see. Jongwoon, can you promise me that you will stay calm no matter what you see."

"Umma!" Jongwoon chuckled, "Our fortunes can't be that bad, right?"

 

His mother didn't say anything but repeated again and again that he had to stay calm. Jongwoon couldn't stop chuckling at his mother's over concerning, but he did promise her to stay calm. After getting a promise from him, his mother went back to the kitchen to cook breakfast, leaving Jongwoon alone in the living room. Jongwoon continued to watch the news waiting for the daily horoscope program. When the clock's shorthand reached number eight, the news finally ended and the daily horoscope finally started.

 

 

 

 

Jongwoong almost dropped the cup in his hand.

 

*********************************************************

 

"Hyung, do you miss me? It's rare for you to come to my room unless it's a weekend when we hang out together!"

 

Kyuhyun greeted the older man lively while welcoming him into his room. Both of them had only an afternoon class today so they had time to mess around. Jongwoon smiled softly at the younger man and sat down on a bed by a window. Kyuhyun immediately dropped down beside him and leaned his head on Jongwoon's shoulder. Out of habit, Jongwoon patted the younger man's soft brown hair and hummed absentmindedly. Kyuhyun closed his eyes and enjoyed their sweet moment with a stupid grin on his face. After a long while, Jongwoon told Kyuhyun to sit straight as he had something to talk with the younger man. Puzzled, Kyuhyun obediently sat straight and watched the older man taking out a sapphire blue color heart keychain around the size of a thumb.

 

"Kyu, do you know what is this?"

"Of course I know, it's a gift I gave you when we went on a field trip during high school, and you bought me one too. Why did you ask me now?"

 

Jongwoon stared at Kyuhyun, his expression unreadable.

 

"Anything in blue color is today's lucky item for Aquarius people."

 

Kyuhyun's smile slowly disappeared.

 

"Tell me kyu, you have never watched any horoscope program, right?"

"H-Hyung..."

"You only use the lucky item as an excuse to spend time with me, am I right?"

"W-Well..."

"Cho Kyuhyun,"

"...Yes, you're right. I've never watched it before. When I was in the first grade, I heard girls in my class talked about it and I thought it's a perfect excuse to use for spending time with you..."

"So, you have been manipulating me all this time?"

"What!? No! That's not my intention! Not at all! Hyung, I only do it because-"

"Because you love me?"

 

Kyuhyun's eyes grew as big as an egg, but he slowly nodded.

 

"Yes, Jongwoon hyung, I've been in love with you ever since we were young. But it's not my fault that you're this oblivious about my feeling! Literally everyone around us knows about it! Everyone but you hyung!"

"Sigh, I know, sorry for being dumb, I guess?"

"Apology accepted, well... Now what?"

 

Jongwoon sighed in defeated.

 

"I dunno, try dating for real, maybe? I mean, I still think of you pretty much like a dongsaeng, but I don't mind dating you so-"

 

Jongwoon yelped when Kyuhyun suddenly jumped at him. Both of them fell on the bed with the younger man on top of the older man. Kyuhyun grinned like an idiot and leaned down to touch their foreheads together. The younger man looked obviously happy but still able to keep his cool. On the other hand, Jongwoon's face slowly turned red when he met Kyuhyun's eyes. Why? Why had he never noticed it before that Kyuhyun had always looked at him with so much love and fondness in those beautiful brown eyes? Although Kyuhyun was still the same Kyuhyun he had known all his life, for some reason, Jongwoon's heart sped up crazily from their close distance. Looking away from those warm eyes out of embarrassment, Jongwoon averted his eyes away only to notice Kyuhyun's broad shoulders and muscular arms instead. His chubby cheeks heated up despite his best intentions not to. Of course, Kyuhyun immediately noticed those red-tinted cheeks. The younger man smirked deviously and leaned down even closer to the older man, their lips were barely an inch apart.

 

"I take it that you're my boyfriend now, right?"

"W-Well, yeah, I guess?"

"So, I can kiss you, right?"

 

Jongwoon's face turned completely red but he slowly nodded. Kyuhyun's eyes shone gleefully. He softly planted his lips on the older man's full lips. Seeing as this was their first kiss, Kyuhyun decided to keep it pure and simple, so he pulled away after only a short while despite his reluctance. The younger man's smile was so bright that it almost blinded Jongwoon's vision for a second.

 

"Hyung, I love you, today is my happiest day in my life!"

 

Jongwoon also smiled too. If he got to see Kyuhyun smiling like this every day, then he didn't care whether he was Kyuhyun's lucky item or boyfriend or what.

 

*********************************

 

2 years later...

 

 

"Hyung, do you know what is your today's lucky item?"

 

Jongwoon frowned. Ever since he agreed to go on a date with Kyuhyun, the younger man had never brought up the lucky item topic again since he had no reason to. So, he was curious as to why Kyuhyun would bring it up now.

 

"Kyu, if you want something then just say it. You know that you don't have to use that excuse anymore, right?"

"Hyung~ I'm being serious here!"

"Alright, I don't know, why?"

 

Kyuhyun smiled sweetly, though there was a hint of mischief in his eyes.

 

"I'll give you your today's lucky item! Close your eyes and give me your hand."

 

Although Jongwoon didn't understand the need to be secretive, he still did what his boyfriend asked. He closed his eyes and placed his hand on Kyuhyun's bigger hand. Suddenly, he felt like something cold was placed on his hand. Then, his palm was closed to enclose around the mysterious object. Jongwoon frowned. It was small, round, and felt metalic to his touch...

 

 

Jongwoon's eyes shot open.

 

A silver ring.

 

 

"Kyu...?"

"Ahem... Just in case you think that I make it up, a ring is really our lucky item for today. It's just a coincidence that I decide to propose to you today."

 

Jongwoon stared at the ring in his palm in silence. Suddenly, he laughed out loud so hard that his whole body trembled.

 

"A coincidence? Yes, this is a coincidence!"

"Hyung?"

 

Jongwoon stopped laughing but still smiled softly. he used his other free hand to search around his jacket's pocket and took out a small black box. Inside the box was a silver ring that looked exactly like the one Kyuhyun gave him.

 

"I also plan to propose to you today, though I don't know about our lucky item being a ring."

 

Kyuhyun's smile almost reached his ears as he let the older man put the ring on his left ring finger, before putting his ring on Jongwoon's left ring finger too. The younger man chuckled.

 

"At least we know that the program's fortune telling is super accurate!"