Chapter One

beginnings and endings

Changbin closed his eyes and attempted to drown out the sound of his best friends arguing. 

"I'm telling you, Minho is the hottest guy in the whole school!" Jisung insisted. 

"Oh, please, Minho? Really? San is way hotter." 

"San looks like a rat. Minho is gorgeous." 

Wooyoung stomped his foot. "Who are you calling a rat, squirrel-face!?" 

"You take that back!" 

"Guys," Changbin interrupted. "Can you please stop arguing about whose friend is hotter? Or at least don't be so noisy. I'm trying to study." 

Jisung pouted. "You are no fun." 

"We'll stop on one condition," Wooyoung announced. "You decide the winner. Who do you think is the hottest guy in school?" 

"How do you know I even like guys? I might be straight." 

"You came out to us in sixth grade.

"Fair point." Changbin sighed. "Hwang Hyunjin is the hottest. Case closed. Now let me study." 

"He has beautiful lips," Jisung admitted, "but he's annoying." 

Wooyoung picked up the dictionary. "Ok. We came here to study, let's study." 

"That is upside down," Jisung pointed out. 

"Perhaps," said Wooyoung, continuing to stare blankly at the dictionary page. 

"Why am I friends with you guys," Changbin muttered, clicking save on his finally completed document. "Actually, I just finished. Come on hoes, let's get ice cream." 

"Can Minho come?" Jisung yelled at the same Wooyoung shrieked "Can San come?" 

Changbin sighed. "Why not." 

Jisung screamed in delight and pulled out his phone to text Minho. Wooyoung had no need to; San lived right next to the ice cream shop. 

Changbin ended up trudging along behind them as Wooyoung skipped ahead of everybody and Jisung was walking with Minho, babbling something about Finding Nemo and dangerous chemicals. Nobody found this strange; they had all accepted Jisung's uniqueness long ago. 

They arrived at the ice cream shop to find that, predictably, San was already there. He had a flower in his hair and a pair of glasses on upside down. Wooyoung swaggered over to sit next to him and promptly fell off his chair. 

San, completely poker-faced, pulled off his glasses and stared at Wooyoung for a total of ten seconds. "Ow," he said, and placed the glasses back on. 

"Bro." Jisung walked over and fist-bumped him. "I just had the coolest thought." He restarted his rant about Nemo and chemicals, which San somehow seemed to find genuinely interesting. 

Changbin ordered for the group and flopped down into a chair, turning to look at Minho with an expression that plainly said they're hopeless. Minho grinned in return. Changbin rolled his eyes. Minho was hopeless too. 

The bell rang as another customer entered. Changbin looked up and, to his surprise, met the eyes of a boy who he didn't recognize. Jisung and Wooyoung were part of a huge social circle, so Changbin basically knew everybody at this point, but this boy was totally unfamiliar. 

He had soft blond hair and freckles. His eyes were very pretty, although slightly sad, and he walked like he hoped no one would notice he was there. 

He stepped up to the counter and began ordering. Changbin's mouth dropped open. The boy's voice was incredibly deep. It didn't match his face at all; it was in fact the opposite of what Changbin had been expecting. 

"Um." Jisung's voice interrupted his thoughts. "Your ice cream is melting." 

Changbin blushed and began the melting ice cream quickly before it could drip onto his hand. He looked up and found the blonde boy staring at him. 

Before he could stop himself Changbin blurted, "Take a picture, it'll last longer." 

The boy blushed a deep red and turned quickly away. Changbin had to force himself not to facepalm at his own stupidity. 

"I have a camera!" San said excitedly. To the blonde he called, "Wait, do you want a picture? I'll take it for you!" 

"Um, no thank you," the boy murmered. He grabbed his ice cream and hurried away.

San pouted for about two seconds before turning back to his conversation with Jisung, which was now about ancient Greece and homouality. This was a topic Changbin might have actually been interested in if anyone but Jisung and San had been discussing it. He thoughtfully his melting ice cream. 

"So that boy was cute," Minho announced.