The One With the White Chested Black Cat

The Moon Shines Because of the Sun

Saturday, 4:30 PM.

There's always something inviting about the end of a day. Perhaps it's the sunset. Maybe it's the relief on people's faces after a long hard day at work. Especially knowing that loved ones are waiting for you to come home. With a pack of to-go food in one hand, you walk along the street excitedly to see the family you missed all day. Or maybe you're worried about your pets who are all alone in a small space that you live in. So you hurriedly make it in time to come home to your cat who is probably just sleeping in the couch. Whatever it is, Yongsun would love to see it.

And take a picture of it.

"You're taking pictures again?" Wheein asked. She's Yongsun's nurse roommate. And she's getting ready for her graveyard shift at the psychiatric ward. Wheein always complain about her work there but she wouldn't quit despite how many times Yongsun suggested to find a new work.

"Yep!" Yongsun answered. "It's a lovely day to take pictures." She added and smiled.

"You say that everyday."

Yongsun did not deny. She does say that everyday. But it doesn't mean it's not true. For Yongsun, everyday is a lovely day. And for her the best thing to do during a lovely day is to take pictures. Document it. There is so much wonderful things going on around the it's too much a shame to not keep it in pictures as a memory. For example, there's only one sun, but everyday is a different sunset.

Wheein let out a soft chuckle after slipping her cute toes into her white shoes. "Let's walk out t ogether." She suggested, standing up.

"Sure!" Yongsun replied with her camera already positioned. Wheein complied with a pose automatically, having done this multiple times already. A pause and the camera's shutters clicked. "Perfect!"

"I'm not gonna believe you until I see it."

Yongsun laughed as she linked her arm with Wheein's and the two of them walked out of their apartment leaving laughters along the hall.

--

Saturday, 5:36 PM

In case you're wondering, Yongsun is a photographer. A freelance street photographer to be exact who takes pictures just for fun. She takes pictures of random things that occurs in the street, capturing moments in the busy lives of work-a-day people passing by; Or of an alleyway in a cornerwhere hidden art can be found. It's a hobby for past time that she is very passionate about. Mainly, she works at the library where she can also do one other thing she likes: stamping books (and reading).

The sun is almost setting. Yongsun just took a picture of it--she always loved the sunset--until her eyes caught sight on this black cat with white fur on its chest. Immediately falling in love with the cat's cuteness, Yongsun followed the cat trying to take a picture of it too. Until the creature led her into an alley without realizing that it's already getting dark. She only stopped when her camera ran out of film.

--

Saturday, 7:05 PM

"I lost her." Yongsun sighed in dismay.

Opening her bag, she looked for a fresh roll of film to replace and kept the used film to be developed. Noticing how it has become darker, she looked around. Only a lmap post a few meters away was providing light to the whole block.

"I did not realize it's getting late." She said, talking to herself. Then she looked up and the moon was already shining. She smiled back at the crescent moon thinking it is smiling down at her.

Yongsun continued what she was doing: replacing a new film to her camera. When all of a sudden she heard what sound like the tip of a rod scraping against the pavement. A looming shadow started creeping up to her toes. It is times like these when Yongsun gets reminded by a voice inside her head, telling her this is exactly why she shoudl pay attention with the time and her surrounding so she doesn't end up in spooky places.

The voice was Wheein's by the way.

Holding what appears to be a wooden sword, a figure of this strange woman standing under the lamp post was the source of the shadow. She was looking up at the moon much like Yongsun was doing. In Yongsun's eyes, the woman looked like her skin was glowing white, soaked in moonlight. Or maybe it was just the lamp post. But Yongsun did not care. It felt absolutely magical. The woman was wearing an eye patch as if the fact that she's carrying a wooden sword wasn't weird enough. And a white shirt underneath a matching blue coat and slacks. It was like this woman was from another realm.

Mesmerized, Yongsun's hand started moving, positioning her camera, half conscious, as she kept staring at the woman. Of all the things that Yongsun has seen and taken a picture of, this woman was the most interesting thing.

A click and the flash went off. Startling even Yongsun herself she almost dropped her camera. It probably spooked the woman as well because when Yongsun looked back again, the woman was already gone. In a flash.

--

Sunday, 8:45 PM

Eager to get more pictures of the woman, Yongsun came back to that spot. She had a little trouble finding the lamp post where the woman stood again but she found it eventually. She waited for 10 minutes, that later became 20 minutes, and even more later stretched into an hour. It was getting even darker than it was before when Yongsun was here the first time.

"Wheein's gonna kill me." She whispered to herself as she anxiously fidgeted on her camera. Sunday's the only day of the week that Wheein gets a day off so unfortunately, Wheein's going to be waiting for her roommate. Yongsun's gonna get an earful when she gets home.

But all of that is going to be worth it because at the corner of the block, a familiar silhouette swerves in. Wearing the same eyepatch and carrying a wooden sword. Only this time, she put on a Haori robe over her suit. Yongsun, more prepared this time, was able to hide behind a wall. She did not want to spook the woman away like last night. It was such a shame she only got one single picture last night so this time, she's eager to take more.

Yongsun put her camera up, positioned it towards her newfound muse. The flash went off which startled Yongsun again, the that she is who forgot to turn it off. She quickly hid away afraid that she might be seen and scare the woman away again. Thankfully when Yongsun took a peek after a few moments, her muse was still there, evidently confused. Yongsun positioned her camera once again, this time making sure the flash doesn't go off. She just wish she could get a really good and clear picture of the woman's face without it.

With a press of the button, the camera shutters clicked. Yongsun's muse heard it and sprinted away so fast she couldn't be seen in the dark.

--

Thursday, 8:20 PM

"Yong, please just come home. Nobody's feeding Ggomo." Wheein pleaded on the other line. It's been almost two weeks since the first time Yongsun saw the strange woman. And every time this woman manages to slip through her fingers.

"I'm starting to think you only want me to come home to babysit your cat."

"Yes and no? I mean, come one this is crazy. You're being a stalker."

"No I'm not." Yongsun denied. "She's just really hard to catch. If I could just talk to her maybe I'll ask her to model for me."

"Why can't I model for you?" Wheein said, feigning offense.

"Here she comes. Bye bye!"

Oftentimes their conversations every night go pretty much like that. It went on for another week. Yongsun camped by that lamp post hoping to get another picture of this elusive muse. She was even much harder to catch than a sly cat. Wheein has been complaining about it because she's worried. There was one time Wheein got home after her shift and Yongsun was still out there hunting.

Until one day, The woman stopped showing up.