Chapter 1: The Beginning

The King's Queen

Chapter 1 – The Beginning

 

            General Joon Seo, scatter his way into the Queen’s Quarter, “Your majesty…” he bows slightly.  Seung looks up and blinks heavily, “What is it, General?” she slowly replies.

            “We found him,” Seung eye’s widened, “yes, we found the king.” Seung becomes weak and smiles weakly, she breathes heavily.  She tries to get up, but she stumbles, her maid helps her get up.

            “Where is he?  I want to see him.” Joon Seo leads the way and Seung follows.  They arrive in front of the entrance, just as she settles, her King walks towards her with her soldiers that she trained.  He’s back.  She tries to fight back the tears, but they fall anyway. 

            The king is wearing commoner clothing, his hair is half tied up and he looks very unlike the King.  His walk has become different, the way he moves is different, and the look that is given to Seung is completely different. 

            Seung notices a woman next to the King, staring at every corner of the palace, she’s talking to the King and laughing.  Automatically, Seung becomes wary.  “Joon Seo…” General walks closer to the Queen and lends an ear, “Yes, your majesty.”

            “Did you do your research?  What happened when you found him?”

            “News spread around the town that the King was founded unconscious next to the river, when the woman found him, she took him in and took care of him.  Also…” he paused, Seung looks at him.

            “What is it?”

            “It seems that he doesn’t remember anything of some sort.  He only remembers bits and pieces of his life.”  Joon Seo replies.

            “How do you know he’s not a fake?”

            “He’s not,” Seung was about to interrupt him but he continues, “he’s my best friend, he remembers my father.  I recognized his two moles on his lower back and a third one as a tattoo to represent our friendship and our loyalty to each other.  He’s not a fake, only you and I know about this.” He nods his head and turns to look at the King, almost reaching them.

            “It’s the General!” The King exclaims loudly.  He looks at Seung and stares her up and down, “You must be the Queen.” Seung smiles and nods.  She walks up to him and caresses his cheek, but he backs away in defense. 

            “I’m sorry but I don’t know who you are.  And to be Queen, I don’t think you’re supposed to be touching another man besides your King.” The woman next to him says. Joon Seo was about to step in, Seung steps in instead and smiles.

            “And to be Queen, I expect you to be on your knees and bow to me, look around you.” The woman looks around and sees that the four of them are the only ones standing. She looks down and hides behind the King.

            “I apologize for her rashness.” The King steps in between them, “Let me be the one who bows.” As he was about to go down, the woman kneels then bows while Seung’s hand stops the King from kneeling.

            “We just met after 5 long years, let’s not start this way.” Seung says, as she brings up the woman also.

            “Bring them to the court.” Seung’s hurt expression confuses the King, but the General leads them to the court and seats them down, “Bring refreshers, please.” Seung asks her maids. Her maid nods and leaves the court.  Other servants come and go, bringing tea and snacks and desserts.

            “I hope that your travel wasn’t a rough one.” Seung brings up, they drank the tea and nods.  “Seo Joon-ah…” they became alerted and stared at her with wide eyes.  She giggles a bit seeing his reaction, “What exactly do you remember?” she asks the King.

            “Not a whole lot.  I’ve made new memories with Ae Jung, I would like it if it remained.” He replies coldly, Seung becomes disappointed immediately.

            “Well, it won’t be a problem if she wants to become your concubine.  I won’t have a problem with it, she’ll just have to start from the bottom and start her training.” Seung says, Ae Jung coughs out her tea and waves her hand.

            “Ah, no I- “she gets cut off when the servants announce the Prince’s entrance.  He walks in with a bright smile, everyone bows, except for Seung.

            “My brother.” He grabs Seo Joon’s arm and lifts him up, “Where have you been these fives years!?” the Prince laughs, “You’ve left your family here and you’ve been living with another woman, I’ve heard.” The Prince walks to his seat.

            “Seo Hyun-ah…” Seung shakes her head slightly, he smiles at her. 

            “I’ve been taking care of your wife and your kingdom, just for you.” He says, “I’ve enjoyed it so far and would also like it if it remained the same.”

            “Prince.” Seung warns once again, this time she stands up.  She grabs her teacup, “Here’s to the King’s return!” she cheers and drinks it while the man drinks their alcohol.

            “Before you left to the frontline of the war, you gave all your power and status to the woman you loved,” Seo Hyun points at Seung, “but you didn’t return, we heard that you were killed; so after a year, the officials were pushing the Queen to remarry but instead, she insisted that I would become the one in charge in your stead with her as my regent.  If you didn’t return by the end of my birthday, I would become King.” His eyes had fire, staring right into Seo Joon’s eyes.  Then he smiles again, “But then I found you; something the General, himself, couldn’t do.”

            “What?” Seung turns her head as fast as she can towards Joon Seo.

            “I had the General check for himself, and now, I’m so glad that you’re back.  Things can finally be normal again…” he pauses, “but with one little twist.” Seung turns to Seo Hyun, she knew what he was about to say.

            “Prince, this is not an appropriate time or place.”  Seung claims, slowly panicking. Afraid of the words that were going to come out of his mouth.

            “What is it, my Queen? What is it that you don’t want me to say right now besides the fact that Seo Joon, my big brother has a son,” Seung sighs in relief, “Seo Joon, your son is 5 years old now; he reminds me a lot like you but just not as power hungry as you were when you were 5.”  Seo Hyun says.

            “Let’s leave, all he’s doing is insulting you.” Ae Jung whispers to Seo Joon, but he squeezes her arm.

            “This is the palace; this place contains all my memories.”  He assures her, “You said you’d try to understand.” She rolls her eyes and steps away.

            “Bring me my nephew, Seo Wook.” He demands the servants.

            “Seo Wook…” Seo Joon says out loud, Seung looks at him in hopes that he’d remember the name he picked out for him.  Seo Wook walks in with his practice sword.

            “Show us your dance!” Seo Wook nods and does his sword dance. After he’s finished, everyone claps, he bows and smiles brightly. Seung smiles back, she walks up to him and leads him to Seo Joon.

            “This is your father, he’s back; do you remember the story I told you?” he nods but is unfamiliar with his face.  Seo Joon tears up.

            “Seo Wook…  is my son?” Seo Joon asks, Seung smiles and kneels down.

            “He’s our son…  Before you left, I was pregnant.  I was going to tell you but our kingdom was in danger, you had to go to the frontline and fight.  You were so busy, I didn’t have time to tell you.” Seo Joon grabs a hold of Seo Wook and caresses his face.

            “Wookie-da…” Seung eyes widened, surprised.

            “You remember his name, you picked it out just for your first son.” She says.

            “Well and healthy.” They both said at the same time. They make eye contact and Seung has tears in her eyes.  Seo Wook smiles and hugs Seung.  Seo Hyun pulls the Queen away.

            “Indeed, your son is well and healthy just as you wished for him to be.  He’s also the Crown Prince.” Seung pulls away from Seo Hyun and looks at Seo Joon. But instead, he looks away.

            “I think it’s time to go now.” Ae Jung announces and pulls Seo Joon up.      

            “Stay.” Seung suggests, “We have so much to catch up on and also, Seo Joon is the rightful King, his seat is still empty.” Seung says.  Seo Joon looks at Ae Jung. Ae Jung scoffs.

            “I agree…” Seo Hyun responds.

 

            Seo Hyun’s back is towards the entrance of his hall when Seung walks into his quarters, without an announcement. “What’s going on with you?  You were insulting your brother the whole entire time, aren’t you embarrassed?” she says.  He scoffs and turns to face her.

            “5 years, Seung…  I was in charge for 5 years; my youth is gone; I can never have it back.” He was finished when Seung replies with, “That’s not his fault and you know that.  Maybe I shouldn’t have put you in charge, I was being inconsiderate of you.” He shakes his head.  He walks towards her and grabs her hand.

            “But if it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have fallen for you.” He admits. She bolts away her hand and looks away, “I know how you feel.  About him.  About me. But, Seung…  If I become the real King, you and I could be together.  I’m a great ruler, Seung, you know that.  I have the blood in me, I can be better than my brother.”

            “But you’re not the real King.  You’re not the one I want to be with. And right now, you’re just infatuated…  You’re not in love with me, Seo Hyun…  You haven’t even seen another woman in your life except me.”  She exclaims. She smiles at him and caresses his hair, “You’ve been doing really good, I’m thankful.  But this power…  It doesn’t belong to you; you have to return it.” She says. He backs up with anger in his eyes.

            “My birthday is coming up soon, I hope you and my brother will be able to see my coronation.” He says determinedly. She sighs at his remark.

            “You’ve changed…” she says as she walks away.

            “No…  I’m just finally fighting for what I want for once, why don’t you try to understand me?” She continues walking after hesitating to comfort him.  He sits down on his seat as he watches Seung walk away, a tear form but he looks up and it disappears.