End (1)

Somebody New

"Did you know that our class has a new homeroom teacher and a new student coming today?" Hyukjae spoke up all of sudden.

"I'm not surprised about the new teacher, but a student moving in their last year of high school? Now that's interesting." Donghae quickly chimed in.

 

Kyuhyun half listened, half spaced out to what Hyukjae and Donghae said. It was Ryeowook who sat beside him that got interested and turned back to talk with them.

 

"A new student? A boy? A girl? Are they good looking? Cute? Handsome? Where are they from? Are they single? Are the-"

"Jesus, why don't you just go and ask the principal if you're that curious."

 

Ryeowook ignored Kyuhyun and continued to talk with Hyukjae.

 

"Well, I heard from Yunho who heard from Taeyeon who knew from Seulgi who heard from Taemin who got the news from Suho who saw the principal at the parking lot with two handsome men whom he has never seen before," Hyukjae explained.

 

For christ's sake, is this a school or a gossip-town! Why did the news spread so fast!

 

Kyuhyun shook his head at their silly gossip and continued to space out. He looked out of the window beside him and wondered what games should he play tonight.

.

.

.

"Who is the class-rep?"

"It's Cho Kyuhyun."

"Alright, yah, whoever is this Cho Kyuhyun? Show yourself now."

 

Kyuhyun came back to earth when he heard his name being called. He turned back into the classroom and saw two unfamiliar men stood in front of them, one adult and one teenager. The older man with a red-wine hair wore a flamboyant outfit he almost mistook him as some supermodel. In comparison, the younger man looked more plain and subtle with his black messy hair and a uniform like them. He immediately knew who they were, their new homeroom teacher and new student.

 

"Yes, I'm Cho Kyuhyun, Class 3-A representative,"

"Good, as a class-rep then it's your duty to take care of the new student here. That's it. Class, bring out a paper. We'll start with a pop quiz today."

 

The new student walked to an empty seat beside Siwon and friendly greeted the other boy. Kyuhyun turned to Ryeowook and asked about the new student since he didn't pay attention during the introduction.

 

"His name is Kim Jongwoon. He comes here because his brother gets a job here. He likes movies and basketball. His hobbies are singing and taking photos. Most importantly, he's still single. Gosh, he is so freaking handsome, like, really. Did you see his..."

"Yah! If you two don't stop talking now I'll throw you out of the class!"

 

As Ryeowook quickly scooted away, Kyuhyun, on the other hand, was thinking about something else.

 

 

Kim Jongwoon...

 

Why did the name sound so familiar to him?

 

***********************************************

 

"The building over there is the library."

"Alright,"

"That one is the gym. There's a pool, tennis courts, and basketball courts there."

"Uh-huh,"

"The one behind the gym is a cafeteria. That's all. Do you have any questions?"

"I do, have we met before?"

 

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrow at Jongwoon, the new student whom he was entrusted with. So he wasn't the only one who felt like they had met before. Problem was, neither he nor the new student seemed to know why. However, Kyuhyun didn't tell Jongwoon that he shared the same thought. Instead, he shook his head and said that he didn't remember ever meeting Jongwoon.

 

"I see, oh, you don't mind if I stick with you, right?"

"Go ahead, it's my duty as the class-rep to take care of a new student after all."

.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun didn't know that 'stick with you' meant Jongwoong literally glued himself to his side. During every break, Jongwoon would sit with Kyuhyun and his friends despite already having Siwon as a seatmate. At first, he thought that Jongwoon might not know how to make friends. But when he saw how Jongwoon easily got along with his friends and even students from other classes, he knew there was something else up in this new student's sleeves. Moreover, there was the fact that Jongwoon always paid attention to him no matter what he said or did. Two weeks later, Kyuhyun couldn't help but begin to suspect that...

 

"Hey, Jongwoon, do you like Kyuhyun or what? You always stick by his side like a baby koala."

"Yep, I like him."

 

Kyuhyun spat out his lunch. He didn't expect one of their classmates to just outright ask that. However, he didn't expect Jongwoon to admit liking him even more. As he coughed painfully, Jongwoon helped pat his back and handed him a water bottle. What!? Did Kim Jongwoon just confess to him!?

 

"I know it! Congrats! I know you two would make a cute couple!"

 

This time Kyuhyun spat out the water he just drank when one of a girl in their class spoke up. Jongwoon quickly took out his handkerchief and gently wiped Kyuhyun's mouth, which made girls in their class cooing even louder.

 

*********************************************

 

The next morning, the entire school knew that Jongwoon liked Kyuhyun. Even their teachers knew about it! They always paired them up together whenever there was a pair project. Poor Ryeowook had to pair up with Siwon whom he didn't like that much. Wherever he went, someone would tease them or whistle at their way. Having Jongwoon following him everywhere didn't help him either. After only half a day had passed but fifty girls had come to congratulate them, Kyuhyun had had enough of this bull. During the lunch break, he told Jongwoon to stay away from him despite his friends' disagreement.

 

"Jongwoon, not that I hate you or what, but, can you stay away from me?"

"It isn't because you hate me, right? Then I'll keep my distance from now on."

 

To his surprise, Jongwoon did listen to him. During the afternoon break, Jongwoon didn't approach him like how he always did. Instead, he sat at his seat and chatted with Siwon, while occasionally smiling at Kyuhyun. He also didn't walk Kyuhyun home like he did every day. When this kept going on for four more days, it was Kyuhyun himself who couldn't get used to not having Jongwoon by his side. So, he asked Jongwoon to have lunch with them and told him to go back hanging out with them. At the same time, Kyuhyun tried so hard not to punch Hyukjae, Donghae, and Ryeowook's smug faces as he said that.

 

"Jongwoon, you know what? Forget about keeping your distance, why don't you sit with us during the afternoon break?"

"Ok! I have so many things I want to talk to you about!"

 

Just like that, they went back to be the inseparable pair again. Although Kyuhyun had to endure all the 'making up?' teasing from people around him (especially his friends), it was worth having Jongwoon with him again.

 

********************************************

 

Only one month had passed, but they got to know so much about Jongwoon.

 

"Jongwoon, why do you like to touch that area between nose and mouth?" Donghae asked.

"It's called a philtrum. I like touching people's faces in general. When my brother was in high school and college, he did modeling as a part-time job. He had to apply makeup, right? So I couldn't touch his face but a philtrum is a safe zone. Now, my hands are small, right? When I touch people's philtrum with my small fingers it feels so good! Since then, it becomes my ."

 

Jongwoon explained as he Kyuhyun's philtrum.

.

.

.

.

"What do you do in your free time?" Hyukjae asked.

"I mostly walk around my neighborhood and take photos, binge movies, or sing a song for my turtles and dogs."

"Wait, you have a pet turtle?" Donghae chimed in.

"Yep, I have three turtles and two dogs but I left them at my home in Cheonan. I have to sing for them through a FaceTime instead. Do you want to see their photos?"

"Of course!" Ryeowook replied happily.

"Kyuhyun has a ton of them on his phone."

 

As Kyuhyun handed his phone to his friends, he refused to make eye contact with them.

.

.

.

.

"Wow! You're very skilled at taking photos! They all look like a professional taking it." Ryeowook praised Jongwoon as he slid his finger on the screen of Jongwoon's phone to look at the next photo.

 

A photo of Kyuhyun playing with his twin niece and nephew.

 

Ryeowook raised his eyebrow. Hyukjae and Donghae looked at each other.

 

Next was a photo of Kyuhyun's sister cooking something, she turned to her side a bit to smile at the camera. Next was a photo of Kyuhyun's niece showing her teddy bear and laughing at the camera. Next was a photo of Kyuhyun's nephew playing with model cars. Next was a photo of Kyuhyun's father reading a newspaper. Next was a photo of Kyuhyun and his mother sitting together on a sofa, Kyuhyun was looking away while his mother smiled and raised two fingers at the camera. Next was a photo of Kyuhyun and his brother-in-law setting up a table. The most recent photo was a selfie of Jongwoon and Kyuhyun's family at the dinner table. Everyone looked and smiled at the camera, but Kyuhyun hid his face in his hands.

 

"Since when did you take Jongwoon to your home!? And why don't you take us with you!?" Ryeowook complained while Donghae and Hyukjae nodding along.

"Oh, I just remember that I have to go pick up material for the next chemistry class. See you!" Kyuhyun excused himself and ran away from his friends' wrath.

.

.

.

.

"Yah! Isn't it only you who get closer to Jongwoon!"

 

Kyuhyun pretended that he didn't hear what Ryeowook said.

 

**************************************************************

 

Kyuhyun and Jongwoon's relationship was very ambiguous. They always hung out together but said that they didn't date each other (mostly, it was Kyuhyun who said that. Jongwoon only smiled and said nothing). Although the entire school knew that Jongwoon liked Kyuhyun, since Kyuhyun said that they weren't in a relationship, some people still confessed to Jongwoon from time to time. Today too, while they were playing around during the afternoon break, a junior girl came to their room and asked to see Jongwoon. The entire class went deadly silent as Jongwoon stood up from his seat beside Kyuhyun and walked to her. Donghae whispered to Hyukjae about her being the third girl within a week, while Ryeowook elbowed Kyuhyun but he didn't say anything. 

 

"Hi, that ribbon, you're a second year, right?" Jongwoon greeted the girl in a friendly manner.

"Y-Yes! My name is Park Dayol from class 2-B. Jongwoon oppa, a-are you free this Sunday? I want to ask you to go see a movie with me..."

 

Literally everyone in the class (and people from nearby classes gathering in the hallway) looked at Jongwoon. Ryeowook wouldn't stop shaking Kyuhyun's shoulders while Donghae and Hyukjae looked back and forth between Jongwoon and Kyuhyun. While Jongwoon did turn down everyone who confessed to him, no one knew if someone would succeed someday or not. So, everyone waited anxiously for Jongwoon's answer.

 

"I'm sincerely sorry Dayol, but I can't do that." Jongwoon smiled apologetically at the girl.

 

Kyuhyun released a breath he didn't know he was holding.

 

"Why? You and Kyuhyun oppa aren't in a relationship, right? Why would you keep pursuing someone who wouldn't return your feeling? You show everyone how much you like him but what does he ever do for you? Nothing! And that's not fair for you! Jongwoon oppa, you deserve someone better than him!" Dayol protested desperately.

 

"Will I get in trouble if I slap some ?" Ryeowook whispered angrily to Hyukajea, while Donghae shook his head in annoyance; "She is a walking hypocrisy."

 

"Dayol," Jongwoon spoke up, his voice louder and colder, "It's not about what's fair or not, it's about what makes me happy and I'm happy just being with Kyuhyun. Doesn't matter if he won't return my feeling or what, I'm happy just the way we are. Frankly speaking, who are you to decide whether I deserve someone or not? I don't even know that you exist until two minutes ago. If you have nothing better to do than slandering Kyuhyun then get lost. I've wasted enough of my time listening to your nonsense."

 

 

The temperature in the class seemed to drop down to zero. It was as if the sun itself was frozen. Some people unconsciously rubbed their arms, while some gulped nervously. This was the first time they witnessed the ever-so-kind Kim Jongwoon got angry at someone. The way he politely told Dayol to off with a cold voice was really scary. All of them silently swore in their hearts not to make Jongwoon angry at them. They watched Jongwoon turned his back at the girl and walked back to his seat. Dayol whose face turned completely red from embarrassment and anger suddenly spoke up again through her gritted teeth.

 

"...What is so good about him that makes you turn everyone down? If I had what he has, would you accept me?"

 

Jongwoon stopped in his track.

 

"Well, actually, there is one thing about Kyuhyun that makes me like him. If anyone, much less you, has it, then I'll definitely like that person for sure."

 

Kyuhyun suddenly felt dreadful. If someone had whatever Jongwoon talked about, would he leave Kyuhyun?

 

"So, what is it?" Dayol asked, her voice still sounded surprisingly hopeful.

"Easy, are you by any chance Cho Kyuhyun? If not then get out of my sight. I like Kyuhyun because he is Kyuhyun, period."

 

Jongwoon ignored the girl and walked to Kyuhyun group. He sat down beside Kyuhyun and did a high five with Ryeowook, Donghae, and Hyukjae among a loud cheering from their classmates. Kyuhyun couldn't hear what everyone cheered about as it was overwhelmed by his own heartbeat. He looked at Jongwoon, a boy whom he only knew for two months, a boy whom he came to enjoy his company, a boy who admitted that he liked Kyuhyun but always kept a respectful distance so Kyuhyun wouldn't feel uncomfortable.

 

 

A boy whom he felt like they had met somewhere before, but couldn't put his fingers at it.

 

*******************************************************************************************

 

As usual, the news about Jongwoon cruelty turning down Park Dayol spread around the school within a day. By the next morning, everyone knew about it. No one felt bad for the girl since she literally asked for it. Instead, everyone was more interested in how faithful Jongwoon was to Kyuhyun. Many girls in the Kyusung club (yes, there was a club dedicated to this pairing) were so ecstatic about this event. Rumor had it that some girl in the club banged her head on a table when she heard the news, unable to withstand the cuteness overload. You could say that almost everyone was on Kyuhyun and Jongwoon's side. At the same time, more people pried Kyuhyun about when he would accept Jongwoon's feeling and went on a date for real (sometimes you would hear Hyukjae yelling from behind these twos that they should just get married already). However, Kyuhyun still stated firmly every time he was asked that, no, he and Jongwoon weren't in a relationship (but if you got too close to Jongwoon, Kyuhyun would definitely give you a death glare). Although Kyuhyun had never said it, many people (especially his friends) knew that he did like and care about Jongwoon.

 

Kyuhyun's feeling for Jongwoon was about to be proven in the upcoming event.

.

.

.

.

Jongwoon was a skilled basketball player. Along with Donghae and Siwon, he was one of the members of the school's basketball team. One day, their school was having a charity match with a school from a neighbor district. Everything was alright in the match, up until an opposing player harshly bumping into Jongwoon while both players jumped up to rebound a ball. Both of them lost balance and fell to the floor. The game was immediately halted. Every player in the field went to check on their teammate. However, before either Donghae or Siwon reached Jongwoon, Kyuhyun had already kneeled down beside Jongwoon who lay down on the floor with anguish expression. He ran down from a stand as soon as he saw that player bumped into Jongwoon, so he was the first to arrive by the injured boy's side. Kyuhyun didn't carelessly move Jongwoon since he didn't know where the boy's injury was. Instead, he held Jongwoon's hand and asked where it felt hurt.

 

"Well, I think I sprain my left ankle."

"Only your left ankle?"

"Hmmm... My head hurts a bit too? I did headbutt the floor just now, didn't I? But it's only a minor headache so I should be fine after lying down a while."

"Alright, I'll take you to the infirmary."

"You know that there's a medic here, right?"

"Do they have any bed here that you can lie down? No? Then shut up and let me take you to the infirmary."

 

Kyuhyun carried Jongwoon up in his arms like a groom carrying his bride, resulting in a loud screaming from girls in the gym. Jongwoon was surprised at first, but he quickly got accustomed to it. He rested his head on Kyuhyun's shoulder and smiled happily, which made the girls scream even impossibly louder. Uncaring about the surrounding, Kyuhyun walked out of the gym with Jongwoon in his arms. Donghae and Siwon had to continue the match so they couldn't go with the pair. Hyukjae was about to go after them but Ryeowook stopped him. The shorter boy smirked.

 

"Let them have some time together. We can go with Donghae after the match end. Who knows, maybe Kyuhyun might finally admit his feeling this time."

.

.

.

.

On their way to the infirmary, Jongwoon was smiling like an idiot as he looked up at Kyuhyun, but the taller boy kept avoiding looking at Jongwoon. Occasionally, Jongwoon would poke Kyuhyun's slightly red cheek and laughed when he was scolded (half-heartedly) by Kyuhyun. The hallway was empty saved for the two of them. In was six in the evening now, most students already went home or were at the gym watching the match. Halfway to the infirmary, Jongwoon suddenly spoke up with a fond smile; "You've become stronger now, haven't you? After all, you can carry me with ease now."

 

Kyuhyun frowned but didn't say anything to that.

 

 

They arrived at the infirmary. The school's infirmary teacher, Park Jungsu, had already prepared a first-aid kit for Jongwoon because he got a call from Kim Heechul, Jongwoon and Kyuhyun's homeroom teacher. Kyuhyun gently laid Jongwoon on a bed and carefully placed the injured ankle on a pillow. Kyuhyun sat down beside the bed and watched their teacher checking on Jongwoon. After inspecting it, Jungsu placed a cool pack on Jongwoon's left ankle and wrapped a bandage around it. He also checked to see if Jongwoon got any concussion but found nothing. He told Jongwoon to lie down and rest while he contacted Jongwoon's brother.

 

"You should get some rest. I'll call your brother and tell him to pick you up. Be sure not to run or do anything that strains your ankle just yet, you should let your ankle heal." Jungsu explained after finishing wrapping Jongwoon's ankle.

"How long does it take to get fully recover? Does he have to take a break from school?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Calm down Kyuhyun, it's only a sprained ankle. Though I advise you to look after him so he won't strain his ankle. But, I guess you'd do that regardless of my advice anyway, right? Mr. knight in shining armor." Jungsu smirked and teased the boy.

 

Kyuhyun coughed and looked down at the floor to hide his embarrassment, while Jongwoon just lay there giggling. Jungsu fondly patted both boys' heads before walking out of the room to get Jongwoon's guardian. After making sure that their teacher wouldn't come back anytime soon, Kyuhyun took Jongwoon's right and held it firmly. There was nothing but silence between them, but it was calm and serene silence. Jongwoon hummed whatever songs coming up in his head, while Kyuhyun absentmindedly played with Jongwoon's fingers.

.

.

.

.

"Tell me, Jongwoon, we have met before, right?" Kyuhyun suddenly spoke up, his hands still holding on Jongwoon's smaller hand.

"Hmm? Didn't you say it yourself that you don't remember meeting me?" Jongwoon hummed.

"That's true... But, we must have met before, or else you won't... like me this much." Kyuhyun chewed on his lips anxiously.

"Kyuhyun... Does it bother you? Me liking you?" Jongwoon asked uncertainty.

"Well, to be honest, it does at first but I don't mind it now. What bothering me is the fact that you clearly remember me while I don't. Jongwoon, did we make any promise that I forget about it? Did I let you be the only one keeping our promise?" Kyuhyun was visibly anxious now.

"No, we didn't make any promise. Actually, we barely knew each other! We were both very young and spent only one week together doing boring stuff. Plus, I have a very good memory comparing to other people. You shouldn't blame yourself for forgetting it." Jongwoon smiled fondly as he squeezed Kyuhyun's hand.

 

 

Liar.

 

If it was only a memory of 'doing boring stuff' then Jongwoon wouldn't hold it this close to his heart. They definitely had met before and made some precious memories together, but why couldn't he remember it? Kyuhyun stared at Jongwoon's face, racking his brain to come up with something but all to no avail. He still couldn't recall ever meeting Jongwoon...

 

"Jongwoon, does it not bother you that I can't remember you? That I have never reciprocated your feeling?"

"Why would I? I always tell you that I'm happy just being with you, am I not? Besides, who said that you have never reciprocated my feeling?"

"Wh-What!?"

"I mean, if you didn't like me you wouldn't carry me all the way here or held my hand like I would disappear, right?"

"That's true," Kyuhyun coughed, "but that's different from saying it out loud."

"Well, do you love me?"

"Isn't it too sudden!?"

"But I want to hear it from you..."

 

Seeing Jongwoon cutely pouted at him made Kyuhyun's heartbeat sped up crazily. That wasn't fair! How could he say no to that face! Kyuhyun sighed in defeat while strengthening their holding hand.

 

"Alright, be sure to listen carefully because I won't say it often. I... I'm not sure if 'love' is the right word, but I do like you. I really, really do like you. Just having you by my side is enough to make my day and I'd love to be with you for as long as possible. Although you creeped me out on the first few days we met with your affection, somehow I ended up falling for it and even craved for it. I fall for your kind and sincere heart, I fall for your weird but cute personality, I fall for your charming voice, I fall for your beautiful smile, I fall for your small hands and many more. I keep finding new things to fall for you each passing day and it doesn't seem to stop anytime soon. I don't know what you see in me but I'll do my best to never lose sight of that. And I promise to make you happy, just like how you make me happy."

.

.

.

.

When all was said and done, Kyuhyun expected Jongwoon to smile brightly like he always did and . He didn't expect Jongwoon to get embarrassed and turned completely red. He even pulled his hand off Kyuhyun's holding and covered his face with both hands, his ears turning bright red. It caught Kyuhyun off guard so much that he forgot his own embarrassment from saying something sappy. They had known each other for almost 3 months now, but this was the first time Kyuhyun saw Jongwoon getting flustered. Most of the time the black hair boy was so calm and collected that everyone thought nothing could baffle him.

 

"Kyuhyun, that's not fair," Jongwoon spoke up while still hiding his face, "I only asked if you love me or not but you-, you-, I mean, you didn't have to be this serious about it!"

 

 

Jongwoon is really cute.

 

For some reason, seeing the usually unfazed Kim Jongwoon blushing madly made Kyuhyun excited. An evil smirk made its way onto his lips as he caught Jongwoon's hands, trying to pry it off his face. After a short tug of war game, Kyuhyun successfully pried those small hands away and was rewarded with Jongwoon's cute expression. His eyes strayed to those full red lips and he unconsciously his own, causing Jongwoon to gulp nervously.

 

"Jongwoon, can I kiss you?"

"I-Isn't that too forward!?"

"It's a yes then."

 

Kyuhyun leaned down and captured Jongwoon's lips. A strange sensation swept through his whole body and made him felt like he was on fire. His head felt blank and his heart beat like a drum against his chest. Kyuhyun had never felt like this before, intoxicated. It felt like he was a drunken man being high on a drug, and he wanted more.

 

 

"Now that's enough! No more touching until you two get married!"

 

Just as Kyuhyun was about to deepen the kiss, something caught on his collar and forcefully pulled him away. He yelped as he lost his balance and almost fell backward but someone caught him. He looked up and saw his friends Hyukjae and Donghae. Behind them, Siwon stood at the doorway and shrugged at him. Ryeowook stood by the bed and patted Jongwoon's back soothingly, trying to calm the flustered boy whose entire body turning red again. And the one who pulled him away was...

 

"Teacher Heechul...?"

"You brat! How dare you kiss my baby Jongwoon-ah without my permission!?"

"Your baby... Jongwoon-ah...?"

"Yes! My baby! He's my little dongsaeng!"

 

Every head in the room (except Jongwoon) snapped and looked at Heechul in surprised.

 

"Teacher, Jongwoon is your dongsaeng?" Ryeowook asked carefully.

"Of course! Don't you see how alike we are!?" Heechul snickered at them, but when he turned to Jongwoon, his expression was unbelievably kind. He even cooed while hugging Jongwoon protectively!

"Jongwoon, why don't you tell us that you and teacher Heechul are a relative?" Donghae pouted.

"Huh? I thought you guys already know about it? I mean, I told you that I moved here with my brother, right? And I was with Heechul hyung on my first day here. We even have the same surname!" Jongwoon quickly explained since he felt like he was wronged.

"That's enough kids. Be a good boy and go home."

 

Heechul shooed his students out of the room. Siwon obediently left even though he hadn't greeted Jongwoon yet. Donghae and Hyukjae whined from Jongwoon's side, refusing to go, so Heechul mercilessly threw them out. Kyuhyun almost met the same fate, but Ryeowook wisely dragged his friend out before it might happen. Kyuhyun stopped by the door and shouted into the room.

 

"Jongwoon! Call me when you arrive at home!"

"Yah! No flirting in front of me!"

"Understood!"

"Jongwoon-ah! I told you no flirting!"

 

Kyuhyun smiled like an idiot as he went home.