In The Dark

Cuddle For Sale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun was lying down on her couch with dry streak of tears on her cheeks. Judging by the soft orange-violet sunrays that sipped thru her closed curtains it must be late afternoon. Her eyes accidentally landed on the picture frame on her coffee table. A lump on  started to form again. She sank deeper to her couch and covered her face with her rainbow blanket. She must have fallen asleep again because the next time she opened her eyes, she was in complete darkness. 

Dingdong!

Right. That’s what woke her up. She racked her foggy brain for any expected visitor or delivery. Finding none, she ignored the bell. It must be her neighbor’s.

Dingdong!

Yongsun rolled her eyes. It’s definitely her door. She sighed and 
walked towards the door. She checked the peephole. The person on the opposite side of her door was wearing a bucket hat, baggy jeans and an oversized hoodie. She was carrying what must look like takeout food. Kids these days always messed up their deliveries.

Still not opening the door Yongsun observed the person, she was bouncing on the balls of her feet like an excited puppy waggling its tail. Unexpectedly, the kid knocked surprising Yongsun. She made a mistake of making an audible noise that was heard by both of them.

The kid or the young lady looked at the peephole and smiled.

“Hi! I know you’re there, please open up.” The lady offered her 
kindest smile.

Yongsun sighed and reluctantly opened the door.

“Kim Yongsun?” The lady with the bucket hat asked. Her perfectly white teeth blinding Yongsun.

Yongsun nodded.

“Great! My name is Jung Wheein, I’m from … ” Wheein offered her hand.

“You must be mistaken, I didn’t order any of that.” Yongsun crossed her arms, ready to close the door.

“I know, Moonbyul-ssi sent me here.” Wheein retracted her outreached hand and put it inside her hoodie’s front pocket. She pulled out a folded paper and gave it to the frowning woman in front of her.

Yongsun took the paper and read

Yongsun unnie sorry I won't be able to be there for you to give you hugs and cooked food. I had an emergency meeting with the big bosses in Taiwan. I don't want you to be alone so I hired a cuddle buddy for you. Please be nice to Wheein, she's a pro don't worry about it. I'm sorry for your loss. Jjing Jjing is in doggy heaven now watching over you.

Moonbyul xx

Wheein was looking at her expectantly, a smile not missing from her pristine face.

“I’m sorry for troubling you but I’m not interested,” Yongsun said 
coldly.

The smile on Wheein’s face started to crumble. She swallowed. It’s not her first time to encounter a situation like this.

“It’s okay Yongsun-ssi. We don’t need to do anything, cuddle or talk we can do none of that but-“ Wheein looked at her straight in the eye as if searching for something. “At least eat something?” 

Wheein lifted her arm carrying the brown paper bag. Yongsun caught the aroma of freshly cooked food. She opened to say another excuse but her stomach growled much to her dismay. “Please?” Wheein jutted her lower lip and looked at Yongsun with her most puppy eyes.

Yongsun exhaled and resigned to the cute antics of the woman. Yongsun stepped aside and opened the door wider.

“Yongsun-ssi? Is it okay if we open the lights?” Wheein removed her black converse with her foot and stepped inside the dark apartment. “I have a mild night blindness.”

“Yeah, sorry.” Yongsun flicked the switch momentarily blinding them with the sudden brightness.

Wheein stood in the middle of her living room, an evident of mess in front of her eyes. Yongsun must be sleeping on the couch, the bundle of blanket still looked warm. Mugs and junk food wrappers littered all over the place.

“Sorry for the mess, I wasn’t expecting anyone.” Yongsun grabbed her blanket and folded it.

“It’s okay Yongsun-ssi.” Wheein removed her bucket hat.

Now standing under the light without any obstruction Yongsun stared at the young woman. Wheein was smaller than her by few inches. Her black layered hair cascade freely, barely touching her shoulder. A deep dimple immaculately sculpted on her right cheek. Her eyes sparkled with innocence and kindness.

Wheein cleared coaxing Yongsun from her obvious ogling. Yongsun can feel the heat started to creep out of her neck. She swallowed, “Would like some tea? Coffee? Or beer? Or soju?” 

Wheein dropped the paper bag on the coffee table. “Anything is fine, Yongsun-ssi.”

Yongsun nodded and went to her kitchen.

Wheein gave the place a once over, the dog bed still at the corner of the room, toys scattered on the floor. She picked up the food wrappers and threw them. She touched the mugs but was surprised when Yongsun emerged from her kitchen holding a pitcher and two glasses. Yongsun circled her way and put the contents of her hand on her table.

“I got it,” Yongsun took the dirty mugs from Wheein. “Please sit.”

Wheein started to take out the food she brought, everything was 
arranged and paid off by Moonbyul. It must be Yongsun’s favorite food; Tteobokki, fried kimchi rice, dumplings, grilled fish and beef. Yongsun came back with one bottle of soju and two bottles of beer.

“I don’t know what you like so suit yourself.” She put down the 
bottles.

“Thank you Yongsun-ssi,” Wheein smiled.

“Call me unnie.” Yongsun picked up a chopstick. “Let’s eat.”

They started to dig in. Prior to coming to Yongsun’s place Wheein already had dinner. She didn’t want to eat half of Yongsun’s food anyway and she wasn’t sure that Yongsun would have an appetite to eat.

“You should eat more,” Yongsun commented, she noticed that Wheein was eating less of this and that.

Wheein swallowed her dumpling, “Sorry Yongsun unnie I ate before coming here. I didn’t know you’ll be up for dinner.” She lowered her head, “And actually it’s my first time that a client wants to eat with me.”

“Tell me about your job?” Yongsun was suddenly curious. She’d seen a lot of bizarre jobs but she’d never heard this one before.

“Technically, it’s not really my job. It’s my part time. I’m an intern 
at Byul unnie’s company, that’s why we know each other.” Wheein felt suddenly shy at the gaze the older woman was giving her.

“Byul unnie told me a lot about you.” Wheein blushed remembering the first time Moonbyul showed Yongsun’s picture. She was caught off guard by the smiling Kim Yongsun wearing a two-piece red swimsuit.

“Good things I hope?” Yongsun smiled for the first time. Two tiny dimples appeared at the corners of .

Wheein tried to shift her eyes but they still landed on Yongsun’s 
mouth. She nodded absentmindedly.

They finished the food, rather Yongsun finished the food to her 
surprise, and it must have been two days since she ate real food. They were clearing the coffee table when they heard the raging onslaught of rain outside. Poseidon was livid.

Yongsun stood up. “I’m making hot chocolate. Alcohol doesn’t suit this kind of rain. Would you like some?”

Wheein eyed the bottles of alcohol, she was advised by the cuddling company not to drink with the client anyway. “Yes, please.”

“Wheein-ah! Open the tv and choose a movie?” Yongsun shouted from the kitchen. Wheein searched for the remote control of the television. She found it squished between toys in the dog bed.

“Jjing Jjing loves-,” Yongsun pursed her lips, “Loved hiding the 
remote.” She corrected herself.

“I’m sorry unnie, Jjing jjing must be wonderful.” Wheein smiled 
sympathetically.

“Do you have pets Wheein-ah?” Yongsun offered the steaming cup of chocolate to Wheein. 

“I have a cat. His name is Ggomo.” Wheein accepted the mug.

Yongsun sat on the couch, tucking her legs beneath her. She took a sip of her chocolate. “I feel alone without Jjing Jjing. We’ve been together since I was a teen.”

Wheein took a sip of her chocolate but accidentally burnt her tongue. She winced and put down the cup on the table. She mirrored Yongsun’s position on the couch. “I’m sorry unnie, it must be really hard.”

“It is. That’s why I’m thankful for Byul’s persistence to cheer me up, I feel less lonely.” Yongsun fiddled with the remote. She traced the small bite marks Jjing Jjing left. “Sorry for being mean earlier, I almost slammed the door on your face.”

“It’s okay unnie, I understand.”

“Anyway, movie?” Yongsun offered.

“Your pick unnie.” Wheein’s movie options in her head were very 
limited. She was not a fan of movies, she can even count on her one hand the number of movies she successfully finished. It bore her. Movies were very predictable, it’s always the guy gets the girl, police arriving five minutes too late.

“Do you know this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter