Fin

All These Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Inspired by After All These Years by Journey. Enjoy!

 

Gray ceiling greeted her line of vision as she opened her eyes. Her brown orbs bore on the wall mindlessly, as always. Life was dull, her life is dull, without her. Sighing, she sits up, stretching her arms and legs before starting her robotic routine, a routine that she was accustomed to after these years.

She whisks water to her face, lazily pulling her toothbrush towards . She closes her eyes briefly, taking a deep breath before finishing what she was doing. She gathers her clothes, putting it on the side, before jumping into the bathtub. She turns the shower knob, lukewarm water hitting her pale face. She lets it on for a few minutes, savoring the feel of water against her skin before putting shampoo and soap on her body and hair. She takes a deep sigh once again, fingers raking against the bathroom wall.

Tears sprung on her eyes, and she covers to silence her sobs, even though she's alone at her house. She lets it on for half an hour, crying while the sound of water lessened her sobs. She slaps her cheeks slightly, turning the shower knob off and getting her towel. She's ready to start again the never ending cycle.

-

Helpless eyes scanned through the crowd trying to find someone, or maybe a bunch of loud people aka her friends. She sees Mina waving a few tables away from her, and she flashes a smile before making her way towards her.

"Hi, Mina unnie. Where are they?"

"They are still on their way, you know how those two are." Mina replies before sipping on her drink.

"I'll order something first, then."

"Sure, I'll just wait for you here."

"Okay"

After she ordered a hot chocolate and was given to her already, she sits across Mina, who has put down her phone to pay attention to Dahyun. The latter is shaken, but tries to mask it with a flashing smile.

"How are you, unnie?"

"I'm fine." Mina calmly replies, "I should be the one to ask you that, how are you really?"

Dahyun gives a nervous laugh, "I'm fine, unnie. What are you talking about?"

"Dahyun, don't take me for a fool. Just remember that I'm here to listen to what bugs you or causes your stress, if you are willing to share." Mina pats Dahyun's hand on the table.

"I know, unnie. It's just been that," her other hand fumbles at the hem of her shirt, "It's been so hard without her. I need her unnie. Even if I tried other things to forget her, she's still in my mind. When I wake up, even when I'm going to bed, every thing that I do reminds me of her." 

She gets teary eyed, but Mina stays silent, urging her to continue, "And it's been what, unnie? Years? But my stupid heart is still yearning for her. I want to take her back, but what if she's with someone else now, who makes her happy and not taking her for granted?"

Mina huffs a breath before speaking, "How would you know that? Have you tried taking ahold of her?"

Dahyun stirs the hot chocolate, her eyes focused at the whirls that it produced, "No, I haven't seen her for so long. The latest news that I know was when Jihyo unnie told me that she went to abroad. That's the last time that I heard of her."

Mina remains silent, to which Dahyun quickly noticed. "Do you know something that I don't know, unnie?"

Mina continues to be silent, now stirring the beverage in front of her, avoiding eye contact. This confirmed more of Dahyun's suspicion.

"Tell me, unnie."

Mina looks up from her cup, " Tell you what?"

"You know something, don't you?"

Mina takes a deep breath, "Yeah," she continues, "But it's for you to find out."

Before Dahyun could form a word, a voice interrupted her that is followed by a hum.

"What's with the atmosphere? It's so tense." Chaeyoung points out, while Tzuyu agrees, letting out a hum.

Dahyun shakes her head, before flashing a smile. "Hmm. We we're just betting on how long will it take you guys to come here." 

She gazes at Mina for a second, which the latter returned, "I say Mina unnie won."

"Hey! You were really betting?" Chaeyoung hisses.

"You were too slow, Chaeyoung. I had to wait for half an hour for you." Tzuyu spats, much to Dahyun's surprise.

And the Yoda and Cub started to bicker once again.

Dahyun begins to space out, which Mina notes.

Flashback

Infectious laughs rang across the apartment, filling every crook and cranny. Two girls can be seen on the bed, one sprawled on the bed trying to protect herself from being tickled (and failing), while the other one tries every way to tickle the other's sides. 

After an intense battle for half an hour, they rest, only loud breathing can be heard.

The other one chuckles, "You've improved. I approve of your progress. You did me good there."

The other only smiles cheekily, "Told ya, Nayeon unnie. Do you wanna go again?"

Nayeon shakes her head, her eyes starting to feel heavy. "Nah uh. I'm tired. Cuddle me?"

Dahyun heartily laughs before spreading her arms while also laying down, "Come here." 

Nayeon puts her head on Dahyun's arm to use as a pillow while her arm hugs Dahyun's waist. She closes her eyes. "I love you."

Dahyun hugs Nayeon closer to her before inhaling softly, "I love you too."

-

They were on the Han River strolling, in the middle of the night. Few people can be seen taking a walk too, but mostly it was couples having a date.

Dahyun and Nayeon were no exception.

Dahyun puts her arm on Nayeon's shoulder, tugging her close to her. "Aren't you cold? I told you to put something warmer."

Nayeon shrugs, hugging Dahyun's waist as she pouts. "But you're always here to keep me warm, like right now. So I don't have to worry about being cold."

Dahyun sighs, "I told you that is my weakness. You're doing this on purpose, aren't you? You're so sly, Nayeon unnie."

Nayeon removes her arms around Dahyun before starting to run, "I intend to do it, forever!"

Dahyun only laughs, "Yah, IM NAYEON!"

-

Dahyun comes home from a tired day after  a whole day of classes. She smiles just thinking that Nayeon is there waiting for her to greet her with a hug and kiss. Thinking about it, she's rested already.

But what met her after she opened their apartment wasn't what she expected. Nayeon packing her things.

"What's going on, Nayeon unnie? What are you doing? Why are you packing?" She asks worriedly, dropping her things to the side in a haste.

The former doesn't respond, only getting faster on packing her clothes and zipping them up.

Dahyun tries to stop her by grabbing her luggage, but Nayeon only slaps her hands away. "Don't touch my luggage."

"What's wrong, Nayeon unnie?" Dahyun asks tiredly, in a small voice. "Tell me if I did something wrong. I'll fix it."

The older doesn't look at her, still gathering her things. "You did nothing wrong, Kim Dahyun. I'm just tired. I'm leaving."

Tears were now escaping in Dahyun's eyes as she grabs Nayeon arms softly - trying not to hurt her - but the latter just shakes it away. "Please don't touch me."

Dahyun takes her hand back and lets out a humorless laugh, "That's it? That is your explanation? Am I not enough for you?"

Nayeon walks to the direction of the door, pulling her luggage behind her.

Dahyun only watches helplessly, her knees on the floor.

Before Nayeon closes the door, she takes one last glance at Dahyun, the usual warmth in her eyes now gone, only filled with cold.

"You are enough, Kim Dahyun. But not enough to make me stay. Goodbye."

The door closes rather harshly, and Dahyun's cries rang across the apartment.

It took two hours for her to regain her composure. And when she did, she realized her mistake. I didn't go after her.

She stands up hastily, grabbing her keys, coat, wallet, and phone. She dials Nayeon's number while going to the parking lot. 

The number you have dialled is unavailable. Please try again. 

Before she can end it, she heard a familiar voice. "Hi! It's Nayeon. You know what to do!"

She sighs deeply, "Nayeon, please answer your phone." 

She repeats it a few times, now driving to the direction of Nayeon's house,

She presses the doorbell, and was met by her mother after a minute. "Dahyun? What are you doing here?"

Nayeon's mom glances behind Dahyun, not finding her daughter. "Where's Nayeon?"

Dahyun eyebrows furrowed, "She isn't here, Mom?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter