The bravest or the dumbest leader?

THE BRAVEST OR THE DUMBEST LEADER?

AN: this can be scary and sick but it is based on my dream where a shark attacked me.

 

 

Yesung doesn’t like this. He hates this. Eunhyuk who is standing behind him and mocks him isn’t making this situation better. 

 

Super Junior is currently standing on the deck of a powerboat and another is a floating few meters away from them. SM wants to promote their band so they decided to do few photoshoots of Super Junior doing things which are typical for Australia. Yesung even held a koala bear and he would prefer to go back there instead of doing a photoshoot on a surfboard. He doesn’t swim very well and the ocean is quite frightening for him. The never-ending dark blue waters with thousands of creatures living hidden on the bottom. Yesung just wants to go back on solid ground. He finds this whole country terrifying. Huge spiders and snakes, there are so many things which can kill you that he can’t enjoy their trip.

 

Eunhyuk is laughing because of his jokes and Yesung sighed. He slowly dipped one foot in the cold water and then got in the ocean. His white skinny legs are moving under him but other than his own feet, he can’t see anything else. The water is too dark, even during a sunny day. Someone from the second boat threw a surfboard in the water and Yesung started to swim to it. It isn’t very far from the beginning but then waves move it quite far away from him. Yesung needs to swim approximately twenty meters to get it and his stomach is turning into a knot. It feels like he is swimming in ink. He can only see his arms and legs moving and tries to avoid looking down where is the darkness threatening to swallow him. His fingers finally brushed against the surfboard and he struggles to get on it. Ryeowook is cheering from the boat after Yesung climbed on the board and he smiled a bit because of the supportive man. He lay down so his chest is pressed to the surfboard and dipped his arms back in the water. He is using his hands to paddle back but it is hard because of the waves. They aren’t big but they keep pushing him away. Yesung is cursing everything and everyone inside his head until something rough touched his fingers. Yesung yelped in fear and some hidden force bumped into the surfboard. It turned over the board and Yesung fell in the water. The thing is back and now Yesung can see what is attacking him. A shark. Long, grey mass is swimming around him and suddenly attacks him again. This time a wave of agonizing pain rushes through his left arm and body and Yesung opened his mouth to scream. It only caused that he swallowed the saltwater mixed with his blood. The shark let go of him and Yesung managed to emerge. He is screaming in shock and fear while trying to get back on the surfboard.

 

Other members were laughing for a few seconds because they thought that Yesung is just clumsy but then some of the local people screamed something in English. They are pointing on something in the water but the Korean men don’t see it until Yesung appeared above the surface. He is screaming and now they can see blood spreading around him. They started to yell and Heechul hurries to the captain of their boat. Local people who are with them know that if they turn on engines of their boats and try to get closer, then it might make the shark even angrier. They need to somehow get his attention away from Yesung so they started to use everything they had to splash in the water in hope that the shark will swim toward the boats. Unfortunately, the fish cares only about this prey in front of him. He has already tasted him and now decided to play with Yesung who is fervently trying to hold on the surfboard. The shark keeps bumping into him and then always swims around for a second before bumping into him again. Its skin is like sandpaper so Yesung has lots of scratches but he is too weak to care. He is rapidly losing blood and he isn’t swimming fast enough to get to the boat. 

 

Leeteuk is desperate and looked around for something to kill the animal. He spotted a wood paddle and quickly grabs it. Siwon and Heechul tried to catch Leeteuk before he jumped in the water but they were slow. Leeteuk dived in the cold water and ignores everyone who is yelling at him to get back. Their managers are collapsing while imagining saying the news to their boss who is going to kill them too. Leeteuk doesn’t care about them or about fear which is clenching his heart. He cares only about getting to Yesung and killing the stupid thing. Leeteuk can’t think rationally - he is possessed with the idea of killing the creature and saving Yesung who isn’t hysterically crying anymore. The petite man went into shock from the blood loss. He is shaking in cold and breathes shallowly while his brain is wandering away. Yesung doesn’t understand why is he in water or who and why are people around him yelling. His half-lidded eyes are blankly staring at the bright blue sky while his blood is creating a cloud in the water.

 

From here Leeteuk can see that Yesung’s left arm is missing, there is only bleeding wound and shreds of his skin. The shark’s razor-sharp teeth amputated his left arm with ease and now blood is oozing out of the gash. Leeteuk sees that the damn thing turned to him and got ready to beat it with the paddle. He got ready and collected every piece of force in his body. The fish is now close enough and emerges a bit and that’s when Leeteuk hit it. The blow shocked it and the shark tries to swim back to Yesung. But it pissed off the wrong man. Leeteuk is maybe the bravest or the dumbest leader on this planet because he started to beat it more. Super Junior’s members are staring in shock on the crazy- man who is fighting with the shark and even the local people’s jaw dropped. Leeteuk is screaming on top of his lungs while beating the creature who decided to give up because this prey isn’t suddenly so easy. The captains decided to sail next to them because the shark is distracted and started to swim away. Shindong and Siwon leaned over the railing and grab Yesung while Eunhyuk and Donghae take hold of Leeteuk’s arms. They pulled them on the board and Leeteuk got up on his shaking legs. He finally managed to proceed what he did. He looked around and sees Ryeowook with Kyuhyun who are vomiting and then crying Heechul slapped him across face. Leeteuk is still high on the adrenaline and doesn’t feel the stinking pain. He made it! He fought with a shark and won Yesung’s life. Yesung! 

 

Leeteuk turned around and finds the small singer who is in the care of other members and one local woman. He is sickly pale apart from his bluish lips and his body is shaking a bit. Donghae is crying while pressing a towel to the place where was Yesung’s arm. Blood is soaking the towel and drips from his fingers and Donghae thinks that he is going to throw up like Ryeowook and Kyuhyun. Shindong, Siwon with Eunhyuk are drying Yesung’s body with more towels. Leeteuk kneeled next to Yesung and his cheek. Yesung opened his eyes a bit but his look is dazed and Leeteuk isn’t sure if he understands what is happening around him. 

 

“It is going to be okay, we are going to help you soon.”

 

They can see a waiting ambulance on the beach and stop a few meters away from the coast because the water is too shallow for the boats. Siwon doesn’t wait for anything and gently picked up Yesung. He jumped in the water which reaches to his waist and started to run toward the help. The two paramedics quickly loaded Yesung in the ambulance under observation of curious eyes of the visitors on the beach. Super Junior doesn’t fit in one car, only Leeteuk and Yesung’s manager squeezed in the ambulance and the rest of the members get in their van. Everyone is scared and thinks only about Yesung and his missing arm. Meanwhile, Leeteuk is gripping Yesung’s small hand and prays to every kind of God to save him. The paramedics can’t do much until they arrived in the nearest hospital. Leeteuk is following the stretcher with Yesung but then a nurse stopped him because he can’t enter the operating theater. The manager is speaking in English with another nurse while Leeteuk is going crazy. He needs to get inside, he needs to be with Yesung.

 

The manager filled some documents for the nurse, Yesung needs a blood transfusion so he said her the artist’s blood type and after handing her the documents he goes to Leeteuk. 

 

“It is going to be alright.”

 

Leeteuk nodded but he is so tired. The wave of adrenaline from saving Yesung is gone and he is exhausted. Rest of Super Junior is here and they sit down around their leader. Most of them have Yesung’s blood on their clothes and bodies. Everyone has so many questions but Leeteuk simply can’t answer them. He knows nothing and now they need to wait. After three hours a doctor appeared and sat down in front of them.

 

“We managed to stop the bleeding and sewed the wound. He also suffered from some minor injuries but these aren’t life-threatening. For now, he is in an induced coma so he can rest.”

 

The members nodded and the doctor leaded them to ICU where is Yesung in separated room. Many machines are attached to his body and he isn’t even breathing on his own. Heechul’s donated blood is flowing in Yesung’s body and an IV bag is connected to his hand. Thick bandages are covering the wound after Yesung’s arm and the members slowly walk to the hospital bed. The members are silently crying and Leeteuk gently takes Yesung’s small hand in his. He was hoping that it was a bad dream but now when the strong scent of disinfection hit his nostrils, Leeteuk realized that this is the cruel reality. Somewhere in the ocean around Australia is swimming a shark with Yesung’s arm inside its body.

 

Leeteuk plops in a chair and chokes on his sobs. What the happened? It was so fast, just one second and the thing was there attacking Yesung. Siwon and Kyuhyun decided to go to a near chapel to pray and Heechul goes to speak with the doctor. They need to go back to Korea and also Shindong goes to call Yesung’s parents. He almost broke down after hearing the pained scream of Yesung’s mom and then decided to get drunk. Only Leeteuk and Ryeowook stayed in the room with Yesung while Eunhyuk is crying in the hallway. Donghae is trying to calm him down and Eunhyuk is yelling that he caused it. He was mocking to his hyung and that’s why he got in the water so fast. Maybe if he was silent, then it wouldn’t have happened. 

 

Leeteuk is watching Yesung’s slowly falling and raising chest and from time to time peeked on his face. Yesung is still very pale and his lips are wrapped around a breathing tube. Ryeowook fixed the blanket which is covering his most favorite hyung and his blond hair out of his face. He doesn’t know if he should say something to Leeteuk so he stayed silent. They are sitting in silence and only listen to the soft noises of machines around Yesung and distant steps and noises from the hallway. Few hours later Ryeowook fell asleep in his chair but Leeteuk is forcing himself to stay awake. It isn’t rational, nothing bad can happen to him here. The hospital is full of doctors and his life isn’t in danger but Leeteuk will never forget the way how Yesung screamed in pain. Siwon and Kyuhyun spent a few hours in the chapel but then went to their hotel where is passed out Shindong, Donghae, and Eunhyuk. Only two of them could stay in the hospital with Yesung but in the morning they will come back. For now, they went in bed but it is impossible to fall asleep so they all meet again over mugs with strong coffee. 

 

The next day Yesung is strong enough to breathe on his own so his doctor pulled out the breathing tube and checks if is everything okay. He smiled a bit on Super Junior and told them that Yesung is going to wake up soon. In a few hours his words came true and the petite singer opened his eyes. Everything is blurry and he is so confused. Then it came back and Yesung flinched when something moved on his left. 

 

“It’s me.”

 

Yesung is panting and few tears escaped from his eyes. It is only Leeteuk but Yesung’s memory is flooded with memories of how the shark attacked him and looked around. His eyes spotted the empty place where was his left arm and he emitted a bloodcurdling scream. Leeteuk is trying to calm him down and after a short fight managed to hug him and gently pressed Yesung close to his chest. He is rubbing his back and keeps whispering that it is going to be okay. Yesung is tired again and put his head on Leeteuk’s shoulder. He is breathing in the calming scent of his leader and fell asleep. Leeteuk carefully laid him down and tucked him under blanket before sitting down again. His heart is beating fast and his palms are sweaty because he is scared. Leeteuk has no idea what to say or how to act around Yesung. He is terrified of even looking on the stub which left after Yesung’s arm and he has no idea how are they going to deal with this. Shindong said that Yesung’s dad is sick right now, his mother broke down and Yesung’s brother is too scared to come. So Leeteuk guesses that it is their job to help their turtle hyung. 

 

Yesung is asleep when the rest of the members came. Ryeowook, Kyuhyun and Donghae are immediately crying after their eyes landed on the stub after his arm. Their hyung was attacked by a shark. Like a real shark swam to him and bit off his arm. How big are the chances that something like this will happen? But here they are - crying while Yesung sleeps, too exhausted from the blood loss. The members silently sat around the room and silently think. They want to go home as soon as possible but the doctors want to keep Yesung here for few more days. 

 

Everyone is trying to cheer him up. They showed him all the gifts from fans and read him messages from ELFs all around the world but Yesung doesn’t look like he understands what is happening around him. He keeps silently mumbling something that they can’t hear and doesn’t listen to the doctors who are saying information about his condition. Most of the time Yesung stares on what left from his arm and his mind is playing the scenes with the huge shark. No one can make him smile and the members are going crazy. It is hurting them to see him like this. Yesung looks … broken, like every tiniest bit of happiness and life vanished from his body. Every member spends one hour with him and they keep changing so none of them could be too hurt by the silence of Yesung’s hospital room. 

 

Right now it is Shindong’s duty. Siwon was there before him but his plan to read from the Bible didn’t go well because Yesung started to cry. Right now he is too tired and looks like he is going to fall asleep again. Shindong silently closed the door behind him and goes to the hospital bed. He looks on Yesung’s tired face with dark circles painted under his eyes and then turned his eyes to Yesung’s bare feet.

 

“Aren’t you cold? The air conditioner is on, you must be cold.”

 

Shindong opened the closet and pulled out a pair of thick socks. He gently put them on Yesung’s small feet and smiled.

 

“Isn’t it better now?”

 

His smile died after Yesung turned his empty eyes to him.

 

“Or are you going to stare at me like in some horror movie?”

 

Shindong chuckled but then sat down on edge of the bed. He takes Yesung’s remaining hand in his and caress the tiny fingers. Yesung is staring out of the window on the blue ocean and now turned his head to Shindong.

 

“Do you think that they will kick me out of Super junior?”

 

This was the first thing he said in the last three days. And he is asking about something like this.

 

“Why they should kick you out?”

 

Yesung is crying again and shrugs. Pain rushes through the rest of his left arm and he sobs.

 

“Look at me …”

 

Shindong gently hugs the petit man and rubs his back. 

 

“You are still a member of Super junior, no matter what. If they want to kick you out, then I am leaving too because you are still perfect.”

 

Yesung’s crying can’t be calmed so easily so Shindong decided to use his silvery voice. He started to sing silently right in Yesung’s ear and started to rock him. 

 

“We will take care of you. We are with you.”

 

The next morning the doctors said that Yesung is ready to fly back in Korea. A nurse and a doctor is going to fly with them just in case some problems occur but for now, they need to get on the airport in safety. Fans and reporters are already waiting outside the hospital but Super junior is going to make sure that they won’t disturb Yesung. His doctor came with a nurse and sat down on the bed. 

 

“How are you feeling today?”

 

The man has never treated a patient who was attacked by a shark and he is nervous. He doesn’t want to somehow kill him. Yesung doesn’t answer and stares on the thin tube which is leading in his only hand. The doctor stands next to Leeteuk and a nurse handed him some syringe.

 

“I am going to give you a bit of sedative so you will sleep for the whole way home.”

 

The man smiled on him a bit and then pushed the needle in soft flesh on his right arm. Yesung started to feel sleepy and feels that Leeteuk is changing his clothes. It is weird to see Yesung dazed like this, Leeteuk knows that it is better like this. Their flight home is going to be long and Yesung should be calm. The last thing he needs is freaking out trapped in an airplane. 

 

Leeteuk changed Yesung into a fresh pair of black sweatpants and then buttoned up a white shirt. Yesung is now comfy and ready for traveling and two nurses are rolling his hospital bed toward an ambulance. They loaded him inside the vehicle and Leeteuk got in the car too. The rest of Super junior is going in a van behind the ambulance and worriedly stare on the crowd of fans outside the hospital. Only lucky is that no one tries to get in the ambulance so no one saw Yesung like this. They arrived at the airport and members of security are keeping their fans away. Super junior members are walking through the corridor which the security created. One of their bodyguards is pushing the stretcher with Yesung while Leeteuk and Heechul make sure that Yesung’s face is covered with a thin blanket. From time to time Leeteuk peeked under a bit to see that Yesung is okay but the young man is dazed by the drugs, he is far away from this world. They finally get in the plane and can feel a tiny bit of relief. Leeteuk removed the blanket of Yesung and asked a stewardess for a bottle of cold water with a straw. He holds the drink close to Yesung’s mouth so he can take a few sips and then his hair to wake him up a bit. 

 

“How are you feeling?”

 

Yesung says nothing and only whimpered something. In a short time the plane lifted off and they are on their way home. The members are trying to speak about something but no one can focus. After a few minutes, they are silent again and listen to sounds of the plane engines. It is going to take 11 hours and they are this nervous after less than 30 minutes. Luckily for them, Yesung is too dazed to notice it and sleeps. Ryeowook and Donghae suggested watching Friends because it could lose the heavy silence. They are watching the sitcom but from time to time their eyes wander toward the bed where is Yesung. After some time stewardesses gave them lunch and Leeteuk grabs the one for Yesung. He can’t eat if there is a chance that Yesung is hungry. He is their responsibility until the singer’s family will be ready to take care of him. Leeteuk leaned above the bed and Yesung’s arm. 

 

“Let's eat a bit.”

 

Yesung barely opened his eyes and Leeteuk is already guiding the first spoon of rice in his mouth. He slowly chews before swallowing and another spoon arrived. Yesung stopped opening his mouth in the middle of the meal so Leeteuk left him to rest. The doctor is reassuring him that it is okay so he doesn’t freak out and sat down again. Few members fell asleep and soon only Leeteuk, Siwon and Heechul are up. Suddenly they hear a silent whimpering sound. They immediately turned their heads toward Yesung who is weakly squirming under the blanket and whimpers. Yesung is back in the cold water and the shark is swimming in circles around him. Yesung can see only black water under him and the shark’s teeth are glowing in the dark. It is dragging him down and he trashes around to get above the surface. 

 

Leeteuk, Siwon, and Heechul surrounded the bed and gently try to wake him up. They see that Yesung is crying in his sleep so they need to wake him up right now. Finally, Siwon managed to wake him up and Yesung cried out in fear. The drugs from before worn out and now he isn’t calm. Yesung is crying and fights against the hands which are holding him. He has trouble sitting up but Leeteuk helped him and started to rub his back. Yesung is choking on his sobs and yells something about water. He woke up the rest of his friends who gather around them and they all try to calm him down. The doctor prepared a new dosage of the sedatives and stabbed a needle in his arm. In few seconds Yesung’s speak becomes sluggish and his head lolled back. Leeteuk slowly laid him back down and covered him with the blanket. 

 

“Don't worry, we will be home very soon.”

 

Leeteuk smiled on him but inside he is freaking out. They still have 8 hours in front of them and Yesung can’t panic inside this stupid plane where they have no escape. The tension in the plane is killing them but at least Yesung is now silent. Siwon hates that they solved Yesung’s nightmare with sedatives but if he wakes up crying and screaming, then the rest of Super junior is also going to break down in tears. 

 

Their flight continues without more drama, Yesung is sleeping under effect of the sedatives, Ryeowook, Donghae, and Eunhyuk are sleeping, Shindong and Siwon are playing with their phones. Leeteuk and Heechul are dealing with lots of calls and messages from lots of other artists and press. Everyone wants to know about what happened, some of them are genuinely worried about Yesung but some of them only want to hear gossips. They wake up from their sadness when the plane landed in Incheon airport. Leeteuk slowly covered Yesung’s face with the blanket and they get ready to head outside. None of them was ready for the huge crowd of people who filled the airport hall. Incheon airport is spacious, giant but now it is crowded by thousands of fans and reports who are trying to catch a glimpse of Super junior. The members created a small circle around the hospital bed so no one can touch Yesung. Finally, they reached the waiting ambulance and two vans and get inside the vehicles. First, they need to head to a hospital where is already waiting Lee Soo Man. The man isn’t angry, he is furious. How could it happen? No one saw the ing shark? No one knew that it could be in the water? 

 

The members are explaining everything for almost one hour while doctors are examining Yesung. The young man isn’t in danger, he is doing good - physically - but his psychical state isn’t okay. Lee Soo Man got few therapists for the singer to help him but for now, Yesung is too weak to have therapy. There is more news which the boss needs to say to Super junior. Fans, artists, simply everyone in South Korea and even people from foreign countries are collecting money for the best prosthetic arm. They have already raised more than enough money but they aren’t stopping. Leeteuk is crying in thankfulness because this is so generous, their fans show the power of their love toward Super junior. 

 

The members go to Yesung’s new hospital room where is the man sleeping. His mother, father, and brother visited him but Yesung was exhausted after the long flight and fell asleep. They are silently sitting around the room and hope that Yesung will feel better with the help of the therapists and after he will get the prosthetic arm. They know that it is going to take some time, it was traumatic and hard but Yesung isn’t alone on fighting with this. They are going to help Yesung back on his feet and the fact that their fans have so much love and support for him is going to help on the way to being happy again.