Cherry blossoms

Faded Memories
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Forever.

 

Yerim knew it was too much to think they'd be together forever, but the optimist in her wanted to believe. Believe that they'd be together for a long time, or at the very least they'd finish school and take graduation pictures together.

 

It was beautiful pipe dream, a dream she found in Hyejoo's eyes and one that was taken away from her before she had a chance to try and save it. It was a dream she couldn't keep alive, yet another regret in her life she had to suppress and hide behind a smile.

 

Maybe the odds were all against her and she was blind. But she wanted to believe.

 

Was that so wrong?

 

Hyejoo, the eternal pessimist, said nothing last forever. She even wrote a poem on the wrapping of her breakfast "Try as you might, you won't get the result you want."

 

Wow that was dark.

 

This was the last thing Yerim imagined waking up to. Nor was it something she wanted to start the day with.

 

"Or maybe you'd be pleasantly surprised!" Yerim tried her best to salvage this gloomy mood.

 

She mindlessly stared at Hyejoo for a moment, wondering what kind of upbringing Hyejoo went through and what went on in her head to exude negativity like no tomorrow. Hyejoo must have come from a place where it always rains.

 

Yerim knew Hyejoo's mind has always been dark, but she had hoped to change it with unconditional love, to be a ray of light in Hyejoo's mysteriously deep and dark world. That she could be the guiding light in the other's life and save Hyejoo from herself.

 

In a strange way they complimented and needed each other, Hyejoo was there to keep her blind optimism in check while she helped Hyejoo see the silver lining in every situation. She thought it was fate that they met.

 

Yerim would do anything to ease Hyejoo's pain, to tell her she was not alone. She was willing see it through if Hyejoo let her. If only Hyejoo let her.

 

Only she didn't.

 

 

For the very first time Yerim couldn't see the road to take them back. She has hit the end of the line and now she has lost the strength to even try. It was naive to think her optimism was endless; she had never felt so lost and confused in her life.

 

Yerim knew it was out of her control but she can't help but shed a tear. Because all that's left now are memories.

 

 

~~~

 

Please log in to read the full chapter