Sixteen thousand miles

Forward

 

 

“Just stay there until we clear the way.” Tzuyu told Dahyun who bent down at the empty wooden boxes that sat at the back of the building.

 

They were prying on this tiny infirmary the day before. He’d observed the activities of the doctor. The doctor only had three patients to treat yesterday. Most of the hours, he was just sitting or walking around inside. Sometimes he’d head out for fresh air, and go back in to read books after a short while. He didn’t leave at dusk, it seemed like the doctor resides in that very building.

 

The evening has come. Lights coming from inside the houses are starting to turn off one by one. In no time, they would soon be engulfed in the void of darkness. Tzuyu crept closer to the side and left Dahyun sitting behind.

 

Tzuyu peeped through the hole on the corner of the dusty wall and watched the doctor blow off his lamp. He beckoned his crewmates to stay in their positions as he lurked in the shadows. He was entering alone. Pushing the back door open, he swiftly approached the man from behind and locked his head. The doctor, alarmed, flailed his hands and tried to reach him in an attempt to break loose. Tzuyu only tightened his grip as he slowly walked backwards to drag the doctor to a room. His victim was struggling to gasp for air, Tzuyu bet his face was already turning blue. The doctor’s movements were slowing down, and after a while he was motionless. Tzuyu dropped the body on the floor and proceeded outside to signalled his mates to come in.

 

“Seriously, mate. I don’t think you need company for this,” Dahyun muttered.

 

Instead of answering, Tzuyu reached for the lamp to light it up.

 

“Please lock him there for a while,” he pointed to a room on his left. His two crewmates dragged the unconscious doctor across the floor and locked him in.

 

On the other hand, Tzuyu entered the clinic on his right. The room had a bunk bed, and a couple birch wood cabinets that must contain the tools he need. He stepped closer and opened them one by one. He wasn’t wrong, he found scalpel, and such surgical instruments in them.

 

“Come, Dahyun.” he called with a smile. “Let’s patch you up now.”

 

“Jeez, I think it will hurt that bad again,” Dahyun muttered. He’d always remember the last time the surgeon tended to his wound — he was bedridden for two weeks.

 

“It’s just a couple stitches. It’s not like I’ll pull out a metal bar from your waist again.” Tzuyu said as he fetched a needle from the drawer. “Yeji, please wash all these.”

 

Yeji approached him to take the tray away.

 

Dahyun raised a brow while proceeding to sit on the tiny bed. His confusion has reached Tzuyu.

 

“What is it?”

 

“You still have that aura around you, that ‘wealthy heir to a castle and golden ranch’. People often mistake you for one.”

 

“Not quite what you’d expect from a pirate and a runaway bastard combined?” Tzuyu chuckled.

 

“I don’t mean that.” Dahyun was taken aback.

 

“If there was anything good I learned from my father’s house, it was manners.”

 

Tzuyu’s smile was beginning to fade. He would never talk about his father. He was the last thing he’ll ever want to remember. For a moment, there was complete silence between them. Tzuyu stared deeply into space. He can still remember his father’s words, his large image looming over his mind.

 

“You’re just like your promiscuous mother. Blood- leeches!”

 

Those weren’t nice words for a six year old to hear. 

 

“Here you go, boy.” Yeji had returned with the tray of freshly washed instruments.

 

Tzuyu was snapped out of his reverie. He gently shook his head and put on a smile.

 

“Thank you,” he told his mate as he reached for the tray.

 

He let out a sigh before taking the thread in his left hand. He tried to shake off the unpleasant memories to be able to focus on his job. Dahyun could see in Tzuyu’s eyes that he was troubled. He worriedly tapped his shoulder.

 

“Are you alright, Tzu?”

 

“Certainly.”

 

 

 

//

 

Mina has nowhere to go, but she has to leave now that she could. She’ll never go back to that house again - not even if he tells her to.

 

It was almost midnight. The cool breeze whirred gently amidst the silence of the whole town. She’d look behind her from time to time, watching out for uniformed men that may arrest her. Mina folded her arms across her chest in a vain attempt to block the chill as she walked through the dark streets of the village. She had to look for someplace to sleep, before going back home to her parents. She knows they would send her back to her husband when she arrives there, but she’s thankful they couldn’t do that anymore.

 

There it is!

 

Mina rushes to the house by the end of the road.

 

 

/ 

 

I need a drink.

 

The captain hadn’t been able to drink ever since they escaped the island a couple weeks ago. His throat is becoming dry, and he reckoned he definitely need the beer to replenish it. Chaeyoung looked down on his belly. It’s still flat as it always was, but he feels like he’s gotten fatter in a short span of time. He unconsciously rubbed his tummy like an old man would. His abs are still there though. They just aren’t as rock-hard as when he was younger.

 

Chaeyoung then remembered about Jackson’s bar somewhere near the harbor. That old businessman always told him he can come whenever he liked, even with all of his mates.

 

 And that’s what he’s going to do.

 

“His place is at the outskirts of town. There’s barely any soldier roaming around there, so don’t worry Jeong.”

 

That was all it took for Chaeyoung to convince the quartermaster. He expected him to disagree with his idea again and remind him that they’re probably wanted in this kingdom. But Jeongyeon just nodded along with no questions. He needs to loosen up sometimes anyway.

 

 

Jackson’s tavern was situated three blocks away from the town market. They decided to get there by foot so Chaeyoung split his crew in groups of three to avoid arousing suspicion from a crowded place. However, when they reached the market, it didn’t look as lively as he expected. There were only a handful of people buying goods from the lone strip of stores that were open at the time. The other stores looked either closed or abandoned. The town looked pale and cold. It was very far from how he pictured it before; full of life and excitement.

 

After trailing a series of dull alleys, the crew arrived at the bar. Chaeyoung remembered it to be made of wood. Now it looks very different and new, having stronger stone walls. He pushed the reversible door open to see a wider interior. The tavern was furnished with more tables and a fancier counter. The captain went straight to the bartender who recognized him at once and greeted him with a smile.

 

“It’s been a long time, Cap.”

 

“Nice seeing you too, Junho.” Chaeyoung replied as he sat in front of him.

 

“Jackson told me you’ll probably come for the beer. So, suit yourself. It’s on the house.”

 

Chaeyoung turned to his crew behind him and announced, “You heard him, boys. Take your shots!”

 

His mates cheerfully dispersed to the barrels adjacent to the counter, leaving the quartermaster leaning on to the door frame. He wasn’t beer thirsty like the rest.

 

Chaeyoung shrugged and turned to the barrels. He noticed that the bartender has disappeared from the counter. Must’ve fetched more mugs, he thought.

 

He was about to walk over when he felt a hand tug his left arm. He looked over his shoulder and saw a familiar face. The lady was eyeing the counter.

 

Before he could even protest, the woman urgently dragged him out of the back door.

 

 

Meanwhile, Tzuyu and Dahyun chose to stay outside. The surgeon needed to be sober, just in case one of his drunk crewmates does something stupid. He’d always been the one to look after them whenever they’re wasted. Dahyun followed him, he can’t join the party anyway.

 

They found several empty crates at the side of the building, where they agreed to stay for a while. The path before them was empty, not a person passed by. Dahyun couldn’t stand the deafening silence so he began tapping a beat on his thighs.

 

“Crates, crates, everywhere there’s crates~”

 

Tzuyu looked at him with an unreadable expression. He’s heard him sing random themes on the boat thousand times. Most of those times he was pretty annoying. But that moment, he didn’t seem to mind.

 

As Dahyun’s song started to build up intensity, the tempo increased, each beat sounded triple and echoing. Tzuyu knew it wasn’t just his tapping anymore. He quickly glanced at the intersecting street nine houses away. There appeared a crowd of uniformed officials headed towards their direction.

 

He tried to cover Dahyun’s mouth, but ended up slapping him. They both fell behind the boxes.

 

“Dammit Chou, if you don’t like the song—“ 

 

“Shh. Soldiers are coming.”

 

/

 

 

Chaeyoung retrieved his arm once they had got out of the tavern.

 

“What’s this?”

 

The woman finally glanced up. It was Suho’s wife. She looked panicking and calm at the same time. The captain was surprised seeing her there, but he acted like he didn’t remember her.

 

“You must leave now.” she spoke in a hushed voice. “This is a trap—”

 

Chaeyoung raised his hands to interrupt her talking.

 

“Hold up. What’s your name again?”

 

“Mina.”

 

“Okay, Mina. What trap are you saying?”

 

“We have no time to talk. I’ll tell you when we get on your boat.”

 

Mina was dragging him once more further from the bar. They reached the middle of the road when the captain pulled his hand back.

 

“I don’t understand why you think we will get on the boat.”

 

“I’ll pay you. Besides, you’ll be hurrying to leave in any second.”

 

As if on cue, several gunshots were heard from the tavern. Chaeyoung saw Dahyun and Tzuyu appear from behind the misplaced crates. The two rushed towards him frantically while screaming something in unison: “SOLDIERS!”

 

In a second, Jeongyeon came busting out of the back door. An officer was tailing him closely. The officer pointed his rifle to the escaping quartermaster. He was about to pull the trigger when Yeji kicked him from behind. He eyed the captain from a distance signalling them to go but—

 

 

BANG!

 

 

Yeji fell down to his knees. Behind him appeared a soldier pointing his gun at his back.

 

“Run!” Yeji finally shouted at them.

 

Chaeyoung’s mind suddenly went blank. He was too stunned to move from his place. He stood still even when the officer was now aiming at him. He could have been shot if it wasn’t for Dahyun who pushed him to run with them.

 

While his mates dashed off first, Tzuyu grabbed Mina from behind and pointed his scalpel at her neck. He waited for the soldier to throw his rifle at him and picked it up. Then he dragged the lady out of the scene.

 

 

Fortunately, the docks was just a block away from the bar. It didn’t take them long before reaching it to board the ship quickly. Chaeyoung stayed out on the deck, hopelessly waiting for any more of his crewmates to follow. However, only soldiers emerged from the end of the street.

 

With misty eyes, he cocked his shotgun and fired at them.

 

 

 

For the very first time, the Black Urial was sailing to no exact destination.

 

It was the subtle rocking that puts Chaeyoung to sleep. Ironically, now it’s the one that keeps him awake. That is why he volunteered to man the helm that night. Most of the time though, he was just staring out into the ocean. The scene kept replaying in his mind. Yeji was right in front of him. He could have done something. He should have. But he didn’t.

 

If Chaeyoung goes to sleep, he knows it will haunt him in his dreams.

 

“Cap.” A voice broke the silence. “You shall sleep now. I’ll do this.”

 

“I’m fine. I can handle this.”

 

“No, you’re not.” Jeongyeon gently pushed the captain aside and took the wheel. “You might crash the ship in that condition. Please rest.”

 

Compliantly, Chaeyoung left the helm to the quartermaster. He wasn’t bound for his cabin though. His head was too messy to be able to doze off. Instead, he descended to the quarters where Mina was staying.

 

“Mina.”

 

The woman was sitting at the edge of the bunk bed. She, too, seemed like she won’t be sleeping soon. The difference is that she looked calm and unbothered, unlike Chaeyoung who was terribly upset.

 

“I’m guessing you were friends with Jackson.” she muttered.

 

Chaeyoung entered the room and leaned on the wall. “How did you know about the trap?”

 

“Jackson tipped the soldiers about your arrival. Clumsy of him, I overheard them talking in his office.

 

“Why did you tell me that? What are you after?”

 

Mina removed her gaze at the ocean and turned to Chaeyoung who was anticipating a plausible answer from her.

 

“I know you’ll have to sail away from that place. Same goes for me. Just that.”

 

The captain was certain there is more to Mina’s reason. He believes he understood it already. He folded his arms across his chest and leaned forwards.

 

“You ran away from Suho, didn’t you?”

 

Chaeyoung made sure to look into her eyes to see any reaction. He was sure there is no other valid reason for her to do so.

 

Mina cracked a lopsided smile and nodded. “I see why he could never outwit you. You’re smart.”

 

Chaeyoung waved the compliment off and started towards the doorway without a word. Before he can completely exit the room, Mina called him back.

 

“Would you mind dropping me at the Jolly Atoll?”

 

“Yes. I don’t like breaking women’s bones.”

 

The captain gave her a smile before walking off back to his own cabin. Mina was left puzzled by his response.

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

The royal palace of Corona is known to be the grandest, largest, and most expensive in the North. It stretches out to tens of acres of land up the hills in the middle of the island. As the residence of the monarchs, it screams the wealth of Corona, from the exterior to every corner. The ceilings are made of gold, adorned with the world’s most precious gems. People would say that even dust that came from there might cost a leg.

 

Jackson has been frequenting here for the past few weeks, but its grandiosity still can’t sink in to him.

 

“Your Majesty. You were looking for me?”

 

The duke was sitting on the king’s throne at the end of the room. He sat back too comfortably, his fingers interlocked. He looked at the rather tensed Jackson bowing to him by the doorway.

 

“I heard you have something to tell me.”

 

“Y-Yes, Your Majesty.”

 

“And what is it?”

 

Jackson glanced up for a split second and saw that the duke was staring at him, as if his eyes were piercing his soul. He immediately bowed lower and fixed his gaze upon the carpeted floor.

 

“Chaeyoung escaped—“

 

“I believe you have other things to report to me.”

 

Jackson cleared his throat and pulled his collar down.

 

“I have found the king’s child, Your Majesty.”

 

The duke’s face brightened. He stood up from the throne and walked towards Jackson while subtly clapping his hands. He tapped his shoulder, which made him freeze in his position.

 

“Good. Now I assume you’ve taken care of it?”

 

Beads of sweat rolled down Jackson’s face as he tried to think of words to say. The duke was becoming impatient every second he remained quiet.

 

“Jackson?”

 

“Your M-Majesty. I lost her. Forgive me.”

 

A beat passes, and there was no response. Jackson was almost thankful he didn’t react violently this time, until he felt a foot step on his nape. The duke slowly increased pressure on him, making him choke on air.

 

“You’re draining my patience, Jackanapes. What is your excuse this time? Your blunderbuss-ness at its peak recently?”

 

“I know... where...”

 

“Where?” The duke finally let go of him.

 

Jackson gasped for air as he laid on his back. His skin has turned blue. He could’ve died if he was kept that way any longer.

 

“I know where she went. I’ll fix this.”