Eighteen knots

Forward

The captain let his eyes follow a large expanse of grey cloud foreboding overhead. It stretched out to the ends of the atmosphere like a blanket that embraced the earth. The chill from the breeze that whips on his pale skin made him shiver. He futilely warmed himself by buttoning his coat over his lean frame.

 

"The wind is opposing our ship's way, Cap." Yoo Jeongyeon, the quartermaster, interjected from behind.

 

"No worries. We are only a few miles away from the docks."

 

There was confidence in the captain's tone. Jeongyeon was worried about the ship, as it may inhibit damage while going against the wind and the fifteen-foot waves. But with seven years of sailing with Captain Son Chaeyoung, he had never seen him commit any mistakes in decision-making. The captain is still a young sailor, but he leads the ship like a veteran buccaneer.

 

"Keep moving forward. Don't mind the wind," he told the doubting pilot. And so, the helmsman kept hold of the wheel that persists on following the direction of the wind.

 

Chaeyoung quickly made his way to the upper deck where he saw his crew rushing back and forth to clear the area. The tightened the fore-and-aft sail's rope to the main mast. The ship was all ready to go against the wind. However, the wind suddenly blew west, opposite to its former direction. The captain grinned as a bright idea crossed his mind. 

 

"Pull down the main sail. We're going to use the wind to make this ship fly!"

 

Chaeyoung couldn't hide the excitement in his voice. He likes speed although it poses much hazards to the ship and his crew. But he thought, What's to life without risks?

 

"Aye aye, Cap'n!" the whole crew replied.

 

Pumped up, he brisk walked to the edge of the deck to witness the tempestuous waves crashing into the ship's hull. He was not afraid of wrecking it because of sailing along with the storm. It was one of the reasons why he chose African Pearwood for his ship. With this type of wood, he is sure that his Black Urial is tougher than any kingdom's navy fleet. 

 

The rain started to pour down in small, light drops that grew larger in only a matter of seconds. Chaeyoung held the hat on his head as he dashed to his cabin to prevent it from being blown off. The first mate was left outside to take care of the deck while Jeongyeon eagerly tailed him inside. The two stood across each other to study the map that was spread on the center table.

 

"We better get Dahyun checked in an infirmary when we reach Corona, or at least let Tzuyu buy tools to patch him up," Chaeyoung said without taking his eyes off the creased parchment.

 

Two weeks ago, their crew escaped a small island after robbing a town bank. It was there where their mate was shot by an officer on his forearm. Their surgeon was able to pull the bullet out of Dahyun, but he lacked surgical instruments needed to finally stitch up and close the wound. All he could do was wrap a heavy bandage around his arm to keep it from opening. 

 

"During his recovery, I think we may possibly spend summer there," he continued.

 

"The weather contradicts the season though."

 

"Stop raining on my parade, Jeong. Why don't you just enjoy summer like we all do?"

 

Chaeyoung chuckled as he finally glances at him, throwing him the bad pun. Jeongyeon gave him an exasperated look. He really doesn't hate puns in general, just the ones that come from Chaeyoung.

 

"Maybe when you already make quality jokes." 

 

The captain's mouth was left agape with a feigned expression of affront on his face.

 

"I feel so insulted, my friend. Have you not appreciated my jokes?"

 

Jeongyeon shook his head in frustration. Seeing a stern and feared pirate suddenly turn into a playful kid is no new thing to him. He would always tell him to act how he should, yet he acts like this still.

 

Without a word, he pointed on a certain spot in the middle of the map – the Jolly Atoll. It is notable for being the bridge of commerce between the East and West ends. This island is a host to a web of markets that feature various goods from different kingdoms. Being "The Marketplace", the atoll is also known to be the center of opium trade between Guangzhou and the West. Its 'hidden' function is no secret to the kingdoms, yet not one of them dares to eliminate the crime since most of them has their own share of stocks in that business.

 

"I rather suggest making a stop here. Corona is much more dangerous for us. I hope you remember the last time we went there."

 

Jeongyeon was pertaining to the captain's jailbreak four years ago when they were arrested for smuggling weapons and artillery to Coronian merchants. He had to set the soldiers' barracks on fire to lose the bobbies that chased them on foot through the town's streets.

 

"Of course I do," Chaeyoung chuckled. "I had so much fun dueling with the chief officer."

 

"It's too risky."

 

Taking a deep breath, the captain shifted his tone. 

 

"I insist on heading to Corona. We have Wang to cover us up there. Jolly Atoll is a whole lot different. We haven't been there before and I'm afraid we might step on a mine of we do right now."

 

It rendered them both silent, letting the severe storm sound intensely in the cabin. The raging wind could be heard whistling loudly through the ship's walls. Jeongyeon looked at him with much dismay and worry in his eyes, and Chaeyoung read it clearly.

 

"I understand."

 

 

//

 

 

Trudging down the gangplank, Chaeyoung straightened his morning suit and tightened his bowtie. He had planned on dressing up formally as to not look suspicious when they reach the town. Jeongyeon soon followed, wearing a similar corporate uniform as his captain, but a white one. The gentle sea breeze welcomed them as they stepped on land, and the harsh weather was no more. They are now in Oakwood Harbor, the safest place to dock a covert pirate ship. 

 

"Young man!" a voice called out to them.

 

Chaeyoung recognized the Oriental accent at once, hinting on who might that be, and he wasn't mistaken.

 

"Wang Jackson! My old friend!" he kid with a small laugh.

 

"You really like to emphasize our , don't you?" Jackson kid along as they shook hands. "So, what's the business?"

 

"Still the same old trade. We're meeting new investors, actually."

 

That was a lie. They didn't have any business to be concerned with in Corona. He couldn't tell Jackson what had happened to them in their last stop. He didn't need to know anyway.

 

"That's great." The latter patted Chaeyoung's shoulder as he set to leave. "Now, now. I'll take care of your boat. You better start off your itinerary."

 

Chaeyoung nodded before turning on his heel and strode away.

 

"Where are we headed, Cap?"

 

Jeongyeon could hardly keep up with his pace as they walk on the stony pathway. Chaeyoung truly had no destination in mind, or even any valid reason for their crew to stay there for the meantime. 

 

Out of the blue, a certain person came to his mind – probably the answer to his companion's question. Yeri.

 

Yeri was Chaeyoung's ex. He met her in a hotel bar near the town plaza. She was a waitress there. He recalled her to make the first move, and as if they exchanged roles, she was the more expressive one between the two of them, she was the one who exerted more effort. Everything went well in their first few months, but eventually Chaeyoung broke up with her because he found her too suffocating. 

 

"Cap?"

 

Jeongyeon's voice snapped him back to reality. They both halted their steps as Chaeyoung thought twice about the absurd idea. Coming to his ex-girlfriend asking for a favor after spatting out rude words to her the last time they met wouldn't appear to be alright. It was actually terrible.

 

"We can crash some hotel, if you want," Jeongyeon suggested.

 

"That's better." 

 

Almost forgetting, he glanced behind him and saw 10 more of his crew following. He wondered if the hotel won't mind accommodating a dozen men. 

 

"We shall not walk together side by side as people might get suspicious seeing a pack of men walking in the streets. We shall spread apart a bit, keeping distance but not losing each other. Keep an eye on me because I'll be leading the way. We'll be checking in individually or by twos or threes. Understand? Now spread." Chaeyoung ordered firmly.

 

The dark grey clouds that rained on their ship was now silent as it lazily followed the wind's direction. Soon enough, the sun will shine for the remaining hour of the day. It worried the captain. With a rush, Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon headed to the town central and scanned the place for somewhere their crew may stay for the night.

 

Chaeyoung looked around and wondered where the people were dissipating to as they start to decrease every time he blinks. The air was beginning to cool down as the sun sets. By that he knew they had to hurry. Chaeyoung started taking more steps down the cobblestone path to the last area they haven't reached yet. The stores and houses around them were starting to close and turn off the lights. It was still early in the evening so it spiked his curiosity.

 

A couple more minutes and the crew arrived at a dark and narrow alley adjacent to their path. All of a sudden, Jeongyeon heard a soft wince coming from there. It would've passed off as a dog's sound if it wasn't for the loud thud that came right after. On full alert, Chaeyoung beckoned his mates to standby as he crept to peek at the scene. 

 

He squinted his eyes to see through the dim light of the moon. He cursed the nimbus clouds that blocked the moonlight which could've helped him see better. But he cursed more as he finally recognized several tall figures that seemed to be picking on an old lady that sat flat on the ground. Chaeyoung hated what he saw, and in no time he began dashing to the scene and attacked the closest man with his bare fists. 

 

That was the signal for the crew to back up and help their captain. Chaeyoung didn't use his dagger, an implication that he didn't intend to kill these people so his men didn't too. Jeongyeon helped the old woman up and took her to a safe distance from the rumble. She was visibly hurt, so he had to almost carry her. 

 

"Stay right here, Madame. We'll take care of this," Jeongyeon assured her. Then, he stood up and called their doctor who was also at the fight. He brought him to her along with Dahyun and told him to do his job.

 

Meanwhile, Chaeyoung was head locking the leader of the group.

 

"This is our first meeting and I already hate you. What the heck are you doing to an old and fragile woman?"

 

"You must not interfere with us," the man scowled as he struggled for air. "That old hag deserves to die!"

 

That answer aggravated Chaeyoung's anger much more. He didn't want to kill anyone, but meeting these men made him want to, then finally bumped his head on the wall beside him. When he lifted his head, he found the rest of the group lying unconscious on the ground. Only then did he realize that there were only six of them, half the number of their crew.

 

Dusting off the dirt on his hands, Chaeyoung headed to the old lady that was being treated by Tzuyu. He saw several bruises on the woman's neck and arms, and some scratches on her elbow.

 

"We need to take her somewhere, Cap."

 

Apparently, the old woman owned an inn not far from their location to which she led the crew with her remaining strength. It's a of luck indeed for Chaeyoung, because they shouldn't be wandering any longer in the open, considering that they're in Corona.

 

After a short walk, their team arrived at what looked like a stone house. A crooked sign hung outside beside the door, with words emblazoned that says "Orchid Inn". Jeongyeon knocked on the door with urgency. It was immediately opened. Before them appeared a young lady who looked like in her early twenties. She seemed to be woken up from her trance when she twigged who was carried by the crew.

 

"Granma!" she exclaimed.

 

"Don't just stand there. Let us in." Chaeyoung said.

 

The maiden hurriedly went out of the doorway and cleared the couch for them. Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung helped the limping woman step into the lobby and carefully placed her on the sofa. The lady rushed to her side and worriedly held her hand.

 

"Granma are you alright?" she asked. But the woman was not awake. She had probably lost her consciousness along the way. "What did you do to her?"

 

"Let's talk later. I suggest you get out of the way first and let the doctor handle that." Chaeyoung replied impatiently.

 

"Basin of cold water and a towel. Where can we get those, Madame?" Tzuyu politely asked the damsel who looked like she wanted to rebut Chaeyoung. Compliantly, she sighed and stood up.

 

"I'll get one." 

 

A moment later, she came back carrying a small basin with water and a dry towel hanging on her forearm. Tzuyu took and placed those beside him. While he started tending to the old woman, the lady folded her arms across her chest and faced the captain.

 

"Now tell me what happened."

 

"Well you see," Chaeyoung leaned his back on the reception desk as he spoke. "We caught her being beaten up by a band of men in a dark street. We helped her out there."

 

The maiden eyed him with suspicion. She glanced at the other crew members, and held her gaze at Dahyun who had a thick bandage wrapped around his left forearm.

 

"You're all together?"

 

Apprehension crept in the captain's nerves. This lady seemed very much skeptic about everything he just said. He could feel the great amount of doubt she was emitting, and it bothered him that she might catch a clue on what they actually are. She turned to Chaeyoung and studied his face, as if recalling something at the back of her mind.

 

"You..." her eyes narrowed while she looked closely to him. "You look familiar."