Just Like That

Just Like That

Just like that, she was looking outside the window in her small apartment, the small raindrops covering the clear surface. She kept thinking about the wonderful times she spent with him. All the laughs they shared and all the hard times they went through together. Tears fell down her cheeks as she felt the pain in her chest increase, how could he do this to her. He promised her that he would be with her until death would do them apart, to love each other through hard times and sickness. To always stay by her side.

Just like that, a year after their marriage, he wanted to leave. He slammed the divorce papers on the kitchen table and left saying that it would be the best for both, that she would find someone better than him. But he never really gave a good explanation as to why he left. Maybe it was because he had another woman, or maybe she wasn’t good enough for him.

Everything felt like a lie, like an unforgivable dream. Would she ever be able to feel what true love is like? The feeling of a thousand butterflies in her stomach and, the comfort of being in someone’s embrace after an exhausting day at work.

It’s been six months since he left, but the feelings of betrayal still lingered inside of her. Wondering if she would be able to fall in love again?

She came back to reality and walked away from the window. Just like that, she made herself ready to start the first day as a trainee at a coffee shop, called Wide Awake Café. Which was located just around the corner. Wide Awake café was a place that she often went to as a regular customer. She just loved the atmosphere in the shop, it was a small and cozy place, and it just had a nice feel to it. It was a place famous for couples. As soon as she stepped out of the apartment, she noticed the rain had stopped, which was good, since she forgot to take her umbrella with her.

When she had arrived and made her way inside, she accidentally stepped in a small puddle of water, making her fall backwards almost hitting the floor. Just like that, she felt a pair of strong hands supporting her waist, saving her from falling. Looking up at the mysterious person holding her, she saw a handsome young man with short black hair, and brown eyes. He smiled softly at her giving her reassurance. At this moment she felt her heart skip a beat, and her cheeks turned red from blushing. Her heart was loud and beating very quickly, she could hear her heartbeats inside her ears. He helped her up on her feet, so that she was standing in front of him.

: - Hey there, are you okay? He smiled softly at her.

Not knowing what to say she just nodded, still blushing from the event that just had happened.

There was a deep eye contact between both of them, it was also very noticeable, that there was some kind of attraction between both of them. During the tensed air, he spoke up again

: - Are you possibly Y/N, the trainee that is supposed to start today?

: - Yes, that’s me.

: - Well I’m Brian, the manager here. I am also the one who will teach you. The man spoke, thinking of reaching out his hand for a handshake, but figured it would be unnecessary, as he just held her a few moments ago. Little did she know, that he had his eyes on her ever since, she started coming to the shop. He felt like it couldn’t be anything else. They were meant to be. For her on the other hand, she still had a very hard time believing in love, still thinking if she would be able to find someone. But being blinded by everything, she didn’t even know, that the right man, was in front of her.

He guided her behind the counter and gave her the company’s work clothes. When she reached out her hand to grab the clothes, her hand came in touch with his. Just like that she felt a rush, like a tingling sensation rush through her body, making her cheeks turn into a light shade of pink again.

She rushed quickly into the changing room, to change into the right attire. Her mind started wandering back to the slight contact that she just had with his hand. His hand was so warm, like a cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter day. Why was she still thinking about him? Is this love that she’s feeling? she shook her thoughts off her mind and walked out from the changing room. She saw him standing by the machines, brewing a cup of coffee. Somehow without noticing, she felt her tummy turning as she walked up to him. There was definitely something going on between them.

: - Right in time, I made this for you! Just like that, he handed her the newly brewed cup of coffee.

She thanked him with a smile, and closed her eyes moving the cup up to her lips. She took in the coffees scent, a freshly brewed cup made from arabica beans. She opened her eyes and looked inside the cup, where she saw a heart made of coffee crème. She smiled, adoring the little heart he had made for her.

The tension between both of them, was nothing else than pure attraction. Finishing the cup, she placed it by the dishes, and looked up at him. Ready to start her first day as an apprentice.

There were many times during the day, that she could feel his eyes on her. Especially when she stood by the machines brewing coffee for the customers. Sometimes she wondered if he liked her, as he seemed to do small gestures for her very often. Including the events that happened before, one more thing happened. As the place is also famous for the vegetable soup they have, she was chopping some carrots when the knife accidentally slipped from her hand and cut her finger. Just like that, blood was running down her finger, and Brian were quick to notice this. He called one of the other employees over and asked him to handle the cash register. He grabbed her wrist and led her into the changing room, she was blushing madly as she followed him.

He sat her down on the bench and grabbed a small towel to go damp it inside the bathroom. He looked serious, like he was genuinely worrying for her. He looked like he was hurt because, which he was, because she was hurt. On the way back to her from the bathroom, he grabbed the first aid kit on the way and crouched down on his knees in front of her.

Just like that, he looked up at her and grabbed her hand and pushed the damped cloth over her cut. The feeling was so intense, he was so close that if he would stumble, their lips would meet. After putting away the towel, he opened the first aid kit and took out a bandage and put it over her finger. When he finished he held her finger and looked up at her. When she met his gaze, she felt like the whole world froze around them. Just them and no one else in that moment, together. This is crazy she thought.

He spoke up, looking up into her eyes again

: - You have to be careful, I don’t want to see you get hurt Y/N.

With his words, could it really be that he cared for her? That he worried about her? His voice was so warm, and his eyes were filled with worries.

: - Y..yes. also thank you for caring about me… she stuttered.

He gave her a smile, and they went back to work together.

Nothing much more happened during the day, and the day started getting closer to its end, which means, it is almost time for her to head back home. Finishing what’s left, she looked out the window and noticed that the rain started to pour down again. She remembered that she forgot her umbrella at home and wondered how she would get home without getting soaked in the rain. Strangely she felt a bit of sadness overtaking her, as she thought about Brian. When thinking about him, she felt something that she hasn’t felt for a very long time, love.

She changed back to her normal clothes, and waved goodbye to everyone, except Brian. He was nowhere in her sight. A clump in her chest as, she over the day started to realize her feelings for him. And wanting to spend more time with him, even if she would see him the other day. She felt like it wasn’t enough just spending time with him during work hours. Maybe she was crazy, he couldn’t possibly like her.

Just like that, she walked out of the shop making her way back home, the rain poured down on her. Her hair and clothes getting drenched from it. She stopped walking when she heard someone call her name, she looked to the person calling her name. It was Brian, he walked up to her, still smiling at her. He stood in front of her and he spoke up.

: - Hey, there’s something I have to tell you. Both stood still while rain poured down on both of them, getting them drenched. He told her that ever since she entered Wide Awake Café for the first time, he has had his eyes on her. How he always missed her when she left the shop, wanting to ask for her number but during work hours it’s prohibited, and he needs to look professional at work. But he told her that he truly believes it is fate. He told her that he tried getting over her, but he couldn’t.

Not wanting to waste anymore time, she stood on her toes and grabbed his face with both her hands, she leaned towards him, pressing her lips against his. He was shocked at the sudden kiss. When their lips parted ways, he was relieved when she told him that she liked him back. Of course, she liked him a lot. And she finally understood what true love is like. The feeling of a thousand butterflies in her stomach, and eyes filled with passion. And the warmth from someone else’s embrace, just like they were hugging each other in the middle of the street.

Just like that a relationship blossomed, this time it was true love.