what you waiting for

what you waiting for

Dayoung gave herself another once-over in the mirror. Her smokey eye was done, and she wore deep red lipstick. Her outfit was simple: tight black pants and a black crop top.

“Relax, Dayomi, you look hot!” Yeonjung reassured her. 

“Yeah, Dayomi, you’re fine,” Yeoreum agreed, clearly impatient to leave.

Dayoung rolled her eyes. The childish nickname somewhat undercut their compliments. “Thanks, guys. I’m ready to head out, now.”

The walk to the club was short, but animated. Yeoreum and Yeonjung had been there a few times, while Dayoung was busy with homework. They insisted she’d have fun, even if they had to drag her to the center of the dance floor. Dayoung casually bantered back, trying to ignore the way Yeoreum kept looking at Yeonjung. As much as she loved her friends, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to spend the whole night third-wheeling.

The club was loud, dark, and crowded. Dayoung had never been here before, so she stuck close to Yeonjung and Yeoreum as they led the way to the dance floor. It was...sticky.

Dayoung grimaced. “I’m gonna get a drink!” She shouted to Yeonjung, before turning around and weaving back through the crowd.

The music was more tolerable by the bar, not deafening. People weaved back and forth, but not many stuck around. Dayoung leaned against a wall and sipped her beer slowly, idly watching strangers move on the dance floor.

“What are you doing standing over here by yourself?”

Dayoung jumped slightly, turning to see a tall, blonde woman standing next to her. She wore tight pants and a leather jacket. Even in the dim lighting, she was clearly gorgeous.

Dayoung offered a small smile. “Music’s too loud. And I don’t have a partner.”

The blonde tilted her head and her chin, pretending to be deep in thought. “What if we danced here?” She asked. Maybe it was a trick of the light, but it seemed like her eyes sparkled.

“Sure.”

“I’m Juyeon, by the way.”

“I’m Dayoung.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dayoung had lost track of how long they’d been dancing when Juyeon was tapped on the shoulder by some girl.

The girl whisper-shouted in Juyeon’s ear (that was the only way to talk over the music) and Juyeon replied. The girl nodded and walked off.

“That was my friend, Eunbi,” Juyeon told Dayoung. “She wants to leave.”

Dayoung frowned. “Can I walk you out?”

Juyeon shook her head. “I’m staying.”

Dayoung cocked her head in confusion. She knew Juyeon wasn’t from here, and it’d be hard for her to find a ride all the way back to Mulaney University if she didn’t leave with her friend.

“I can get a ride later,” Juyeon insisted. “Ubers run at all hours.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

Dayoung wasn’t sure if she believed Juyeon, but the girl’s smile was so charming that Dayoung tried.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“-so when Fiona does decide to be open about being an ogre at the end, that is like her ‘coming out.’”

Juyeon hummed in understanding. She’d been listening to Dayoung’s analysis of Shrek as a metaphor for gay experience for the past ten minutes, barely interrupting, nor giving any sign that she was bored. Juyeon did yawn a few times, but so did Dayoung; that was what happened when you walked back to your dorm from a nightclub at three in the morning. Well, Juyeon wasn’t going to her own dorm; she was going to stay at Dayoung’s, because it was three in the morning and no way in hell was Dayoung letting Juyeon haul a taxi all the way back to Mulaney campus at this hour when her room was far closer.

Finally, they made it to Dayoung’s dorm. It was only when they stood outside her door that she remembered there was only one bed. Damn, she’d have to sleep on the floor.

Dayoung opened the door quietly and flicked on the light. Juyeon followed her in. She briefly went through her clothes before handing Juyeon an oversized sweatshirt and sweatpants.

“Pajamas.”

Dayoung closed her eyes and looked away while Juyeon changed.

“I’m sorry there’s only one bed,” she said. “I can take the floor.”

Juyeon gaped at her. “Why?”

“I don’t wanna make you uncomfortable.”

“I’m not uncomfortable. Are you uncomfortable?”

“No.”

“Great. We’ll make room for both of us.”

“Um. Okay.” Dayoung cleared . “Could you close your eyes so I could change?”

“Oh! Of course.”

“Okay, you can look now.”

“Okay. Which side of the bed do you want?”

“But you’re the guest.”

“I asked you first! Besides, I don’t care where I sleep.”

Dayoung huffed. “By the wall.”

Juyeon moved accordingly, and moments later Dayoung was lying in bed. Juyeon’s arm around her was warmer than her blanket. She felt so comfortable and drowsy.

“Is this okay?” Juyeon asked.

“Yeah,” Dayoung said, lazily throwing an arm over Juyeon. “I like it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dayoung woke up slowly, lazily. Her head hurt, a little, but she could ignore it for now. The night before was a fuzzy, pleasant haze. She lay comfortably in her bed. Her comforter was warm on her back, and her arm was flung lazily over...someone.

She cracked her eyes open to see the hot blonde from the other night. Memories from last night came back all at once. Juyeon. Her profile was beautiful . She was still asleep. Dayoung didn’t want to wake her up, for fear that she wouldn’t let Dayoung stare at her any more.

But there was a problem. She was thirsty. The water bottle was on the nightstand, and just out of reach. Dayoung ever-so-carefully shifted up and forward to grab the water bottle, feeling very aware of the arm around her waist.

“Mmmm, good morning.”

Dayoung sighed and fell back onto the mattress. “Good morning. I didn’t want to wake you.”

Juyeon smiled easily as she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. “That’s alright. I was kinda awake anyway. Just didn’t wanna open my eyes.”

Okay, so she didn’t see me staring. “Oh.” She was really thirsty. “Can you pass me the water bottle on the nightstand?”

Juyeon passed it to her easily. Dayoung took a long swig before offering it to Juyeon. She was even beautiful when she drank water. It was only when Juyeon moved to put the bottle back on the nightstand that Dayoung realized she was staring and looked away.

“Are you uncomfortable?” Juyeon asked.

“What? No, I just-” Dayoung looked back, and she accidentally met Juyeon’s eyes, and she just felt this urge- “can I kiss you?”

Juyeon nodded ever so slightly, and Dayoung moved toward her.

Juyeon’s lips were so soft, and warm, and so were her hands, which wrapped around the back of Dayoung’s neck. Dayoung carefully threaded her fingers through Juyeon’s hair, her heart beating fast. She wanted more , she wanted-

They pulled apart, breathing hard. Juyeon was still so close, her face just centimeters away, her hands moving down to the bottom of Dayoung’s shirt.

“Do you want to-?”

“ Yes ,” Dayoung answered. “Just, slowly? I’ve never…”

Juyeon nodded. “Don’t worry.” She kissed Dayoung lightly. “I’ll show you.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While Juyeon showered, Dayoung floundered, wondering what she was supposed to do. Juyeon was gonna head back to Mulaney University, and Dayoung was stuck at Fleming, and there was nothing she could do about it.

“Um, can I at least give you my number?”

“Sure.” Juyeon nodded and passed her phone to Dayoung, who swiftly added her contact information and a selfie.

“Thanks,” Juyeon said, taking her phone back. Her attitude had been different ever since she got back from the shower. Dayoung had no idea why.

“Thank you ,” Dayoung said softly.

Juyeon looked up then, and smiled, her prior warmth returning. “Don’t worry about it. I had fun, too.”

Dayoung nodded, slightly reassured. Then she remembered- “Even when I rambled about Shrek for ten minutes?”

Juyeon smiled a bit wider at that. “Yes, even then.”

Dayoung smiled then, feeling relieved. “Okay.”

“I’m gonna go call an Uber.” Juyeon hugged Dayoung. “Take care of yourself.”

Dayoung hugged her back. “You, too.”

“Yeah. See you around.”

“See ya.”

That was the last Dayoung saw of Juyeon for weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dayoung waited, and waited, and waited. Juyeon never texted her back. It hurt more than she wanted to admit. She thought she’d met someone hot, charming, caring . Juyeon had listened to her in a way very few people did.

Was it all fake? Was she just pretending? Why would she pretend? Round and round went Dayoung’s thoughts, leaving her frustrated and upset.

Her friends noticed the dip in her mood, and insisted she just “get over it.”

“Come on! There are plenty of girls out there, Dayomi. You just gotta look at what’s in front of you,” Yeonjung insisted.

Dayoung didn’t answer. Yeonjung was probably right, but she couldn’t just snap her fingers and forget Juyeon.

“Listen, Yomi, Amber’s throwing a party this Friday, and we’re going. You’re going, too,” Yeoreum said firmly.

“What if I have-”

“You can do your homework later. You’re going , even if I have to drag your there.”

“What if I fight back?”

“Don’t care. You’re going.”

Dayoung sighed. “ Fine .”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dayoung stepped into the house slowly. Yeoreum and Yeonjung reassured her that it was fine, that Amber was very careful about who she invited to her house. Dayoung just nodded, barely hearing them over the loud music and the other conversations going on.

She froze when she saw her. Her. Juyeon. Black tee. Tight jeans. As stunning as last time.

Juyeon turned, and she froze too. Dayoung took that as her chance to walk over.

“Hi,” she said, striving to make herself heard over the music.

“Hi,” Juyeon shouted back.

“Can we talk?” Dayoung asked.

Juyeon nodded. Gently, she took Dayoung’s hand and led her to the back of the house. They stepped into the backyard, and Juyeon slid the glass door shut behind them, muting the music. As soon as it was quieter, she turned all her attention to Dayoung.

“I missed you,” Dayoung said softly.

Juyeon’s eyes widened in confusion. “What?”

“You never texted me,” Dayoung said, pouting.

“Oh,” Juyeon blinked rapidly and pulled out her phone. After she’d typed for a few moments, Dayoung felt her phone buzz.

Hi.

Sorry for not texting you.

I didn’t want to bother you.

Dayoung looked up. “You wouldn’t be bothering me. I like you. That’s why I gave you my number.”

Juyeon look down at the ground. “I’m sorry. A lot of people give me their numbers but don’t really want me to talk to them. If I’d known you wanted to talk, I’d have texted you sooner.”

But why would they give you their phone numbers if they don’t want to talk to you? Dayoung mentally set it aside for later questioning and took Juyeon’s hand. “Well, you’re here now, yeah? Let’s talk now.”

Juyeon nodded and sat down on the porch steps, wrapping her arms around her legs and tucking her chin over her knees. Dayoung sat down beside her.

“Did I do something?” She asked.

Juyeon turned to her, surprise all over her face. “What? No. I just...didn’t want to bother you.”

Dayoung searched Juyeon’s face, trying to understand. “How would you be bothering me?”

Juyeon bit her lip and turned back to the yard. “You’re on another campus. I figured it’d be easier for you to meet people here.”

What? Dayoung was so confused, and that remark about courtesy was still nagging away at her. “Is this because of that courtesy thing you said earlier?”

“...Yeah.”

“What did you mean by that?”

Juyeon, if possible, got even tenser. “People...give me their numbers...so we can hook up again. I figured, since you’re on another campus, you’d have an easier time finding someone here, than meeting up with me again.”

Dayoung was blown away. What the hell went on at Mulaney?

“Juyeon, I gave you my number because I liked you. I wanted to talk to you. I thought you wanted that, too.”

Juyeon turned to Dayoung, eyes wide and pleading. “You mean that?”

“Of course.”

Juyeon unwrapped herself and hugged Dayoung tightly. Dayoung hugged her back. “It’s been a long time since anybody’s wanted to be my friend.”

Friend. . Damn it. Okay.

“Well, I do want to, if you’ll let me.”

“ Yeah ,” she said excitedly, before calming herself down. “Yes. I’d like that a lot.”

Dayoung couldn’t help but wonder what kind of people went to Mulaney University, that Juyeon was so starved for friendship, and so shocked when someone actually wanted to be friends with her.

She heard the sliding door open, and turned her head to see Yeonjung sticking her head out. “Dayoung! I was looking for you!” Yeonjung cried. She was smiling, but something about it was off. Maybe it was just the lighting. “Aren’t you gonna come dance?”

“You should go dance,” Juyeon said, loosening her hold on Dayoung.

Dayoung replied by grabbing Juyeon’s hand. “Uh-uh. You’re not getting out of it that easy.”

Juyeon smiled easily, the way you do when you’re getting teased by a friend. Dayoung could tell that some tension had dissipated. Maybe even all of it was gone. It made her smile back.

Together, the two of them followed Yeonjung back inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After that night, Dayoung heard from Juyeon a lot more. Part of that was that Dayoung could text her now, and she did, often. They texted frequently, even video chatting when they could.

“You should hear Yeonjung sing,” Dayoung said on video call one day. “She hits high notes like it’s a joke. She could easily go up against any other singer out there.”

“That’s some high praise.”

“She deserves it.”

Juyeon cocked her head, her expression playful. “Can you sing?”

Dayoung hesitated. “A little.”

Juyeon smiled. The sparkle in her eyes made Dayoung uncomfortable. “Can I hear it?”

Dayoung nodded and cleared . “ How can I explain this feeling? When I see you, my heart becomes numb and sore. Oh, with what word can I explain you? All the words of the world is probably not enough. With those legs that are so pretty by just standing still, you walk toward me and you hug me. 

Juyeon’s eyes widened, and she leaned forward, as if to listen better. When Dayoung finished, she clapped.

“Bravo! Encore!”

Dayoung blushed and shook her head. “No, thanks.”

“Aw, come on!” Juyeon pouted. “Please?”

Dayoung smiled despite herself. “Maybe another time.” She propped her chin on her hand and smirked. “Your turn.”

Juyeon sputtered. “What?”

“You heard me. Your turn.”

Juyeon sang reluctantly, her eyes not looking up from her desk.

“ As if a new world may open up and you feel distant, I’ll run over with all my strength. Heart to heart to heart. As much as you have wished for. Pinky swear and make a promise for the future you have waited for. When our precious hearts are felt by you, then it’ll reach you. Heart to heart to heart. Beautifully and confidently, I don’t want to give up. Pinky swear and make a promise. 

Dayoung cheered and clapped. “Woooo!”

Juyeon just blushed and looked to the wall beside her.

“Your voice is so pretty.”

“You’re just saying that.”

“I’m not . It’s really nice.”

Juyeon smiled faintly. “Thank you.”

“What’s the song?”

“To Heart by fromis_9. They’re a girl group…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was movie night at Yeonjung and Yeoreum’s dorm. Dayoung had an open invite to join whenever she didn’t have homework.

“What about Into the Spiderverse ? Juyeon highly recommends it.”

Yeonjung groaned. “I am tired of hearing about Juyeon. Can we get through one conversation without Juyeon?”

Dayoung smiled apologetically. “Sorry.”

Yeonjung sighed. “It’s alright. Just, can we pick a movie on our own?”

Dayoung nodded. “Yeah.”

Later, when Yeonjung was in the bathroom, Yeoreum turned to Dayoung, and spoke lowly, as if she didn’t want Yeonjung to overhear.

“You really like Juyeon, huh?”

Dayoung nodded. “Yeah.”

“Can we meet her? Like, for lunch?”

Dayoung glanced at the bathroom door. “What about--?”

“I’ll take care of her,” Yeoreum insisted. “Just set a date.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the movie ended, Yeoreum walked Dayoung back to her room. Dayoung had noticed the way Yeoreum had clung to Yeonjung, but then again, she always did. That’s what happened when you were in love with your best friend.

Still, her feeding Yeonjung out of her own palm was a bit much for “best friends”.

“Are you ever going to tell her?” Dayoung asked.

Yeoreum sighed. “No. She’s in love with someone else.”

“Who?” Yeoreum was silent. “Okay, fine, not my business, but in love? 

“It’s been two months.”

“Oh.” Dayoung wrapped an arm around Yeoreum’s shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

She sighed again. “It’s fine. I’m used to it.” When Yeonjung’s attention went from boy to boy in senior year, Yeoreum hadn’t said a word. Dayoung thought it was ridiculous.

“You shouldn’t be. You shouldn’t just be sitting around while Yeonjung goes from crush to crush.”

Yeoreum sighed. “It’s fine. I can handle it. Have you said anything to Juyeon?”

Dayoung blinked. “Said what?” Did Yeoreum know? How did she know? Was Dayoung that obvious?

“Oh, come on. You’ve liked her since day one.”

It wasn’t even worth denying it. “Yeah.”

“So?”

“So, she keeps saying how much I’m a great friend , how we’re great friends , and I don’t know how to tell her I want more than that.”

“Well, try saying that!”

“I don’t even know if she’d like me like that!”

“ She already slept with you! 

Dayoung groaned. “But that was weeks ago!”

Yeoreum rolled her eyes. “And you deign to give me romantic advice.”

Dayoung huffed. “I’ll try...something. And you should too.”

“Fine, then. Lead by example.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Juyeon agreed to come over on a Saturday and get lunch with the three of them.

It was casual, quiet while everyone ate. Dayoung tried to eat neatly, without success. Yeonjung ended up wiping sauce off Dayoung’s cheek. (She didn’t have to, but she completely ignored Dayoung’s protests.) After that, silence fell again.

Finally, Yeoreum started a conversation.

“What do you study?” She asked Juyeon.

“Dance. I want to be a choreographer.”

“She’s good, too.” Dayoung chimed in.

“What’s the dance program like at Mulaney?” Yeoreum asked.

Juyeon grimaced. “Not as good as Fleming’s. I applied to transfer, but they haven’t gotten back to me yet.”

Dayoung turned to Juyeon in shock, barely catching how Yeonjung’s eyes widened in surprise. “You never told me you’re coming here!”

“She’s not,” Yeonjung said. “They haven’t replied to her yet.”

“Yeah,” Juyeon agreed. “I didn’t want to get your hopes up over nothing.”

“Okay, but you’re gonna get in. I know it.”

“Don’t count your chickens before they’ve hatched,” Yeonjung murmured.

Dayoung glared at Yeonjung, while Yeoreum elbowed her. “What is with you today?”

“Sorry. Didn’t sleep well.” She didn’t sound very apologetic.

“She’s right, though,” Juyeon said. “I might not get in. Nothing’s promised.”

“Well, think you have a great chance of getting it. What do you think, Yeoreum?”

Yeoreum smiled mischievously. “I think, if Dayoung can get in, then you definitely have a shot.”

“ Hey! Now what is that supposed to mean?”

“It means you once got banned from McDonald’s for dropping a cherry bomb in the toilet.”

“That was once! I was a kid! 

“What about when you streaked a month before our high school graduation with ‘Yes or Yes’ blasting from a boombox over your head?”

“Okay, first of all, you know damn well I wore a  swimsuit , and second of all, it was a senior prank-”

The rest of lunch went on like that, with Yeoreum and Yeonjung exposing Dayoung’s most embarrassing moments, and Dayoung trying to defend herself while Juyeon held back her laughter, poorly.

After lunch, they split up, with Yeonjung and Yeoreum heading off to their dorm while Dayoung and Juyeon slowly meandered to Dayoung’s.

“So, now that they’re gone, I beg of you to forget everything they said.”

“Even the funny parts?” Juyeon asked. Dayoung pouted. “Okay. Fine. What did they even say?” She recanted, playing along.

Dayoung smiled. “They talked about how smart I am, how my grades got me an academic scholarship here.”

“Ooooh.”

“Mhm.”

“Was there anything else they said?”

Dayoung her chin in fake thought. “Nope. Just that I’m gorgeous and perfect and amazing.”

Juyeon smiled warmly. “Yeah, you are.”

Dayoung blushed and turned away. A silence fell that wasn’t completely comfortable.

“Hey, um,” Juyeon started, “since I got to hear so much about you already, do you want to hear about me?”

Dayoung nodded. “That sounds good.” Dayoung left out how she always wanted to hear about Juyeon, until every bit of mystery had faded away, and she knew Juyeon as well as she knew herself.

“Well, um, I didn’t do wild pranks in high school. Um. I was closeted, and quiet, so I just kept to myself until I could get to college.”

“...And then?”

Juyeon kept her head down and fiddled with her fingers. “It’s a lot easier to meet girls in college. So I...met girls. A lot.”

Dayoung waited for Juyeon to elaborate, but she didn’t. Maybe she thought Dayoung could fill in the rest herself, but Dayoung still had questions.

“Any girlfriends?”

“No.” A pause. “Nobody stuck around that long.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that nobody wanted to date me because I’m a .”

“What?”

Juyeon shrugged. “Maybe they thought I’d cheat.”

“But you were never in a relationship to begin with. That’s not fair.”

“Tell Mulaney campus that. They don’t wanna listen to me . Aside from Hyunjung and Jiyeon, nobody really likes me.”

Silence again. But there was something else on Dayoung’s mind.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Yeah.”

“You said that you thought I gave you my phone number so we could hook up again, but I didn’t. That wasn’t why.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“Did you think- did you think- everything the night before, did that not matter to you?”

“No, it did , I just…I’m so used to knowing what people want from me, and I just assumed you were the same.”

“Oh.”

“That’s not, I mean, I don’t think that now! I just, I just didn’t know how to act. I thought you’d meet someone else. Someone better. I didn’t think you’d care.”

Dayoung gently wrapped an arm around Juyeon. “But I do care. I care about you a lot.”

Juyeon leaned into Dayoung’s touch. “Thank you. I care about you a lot, too.” She paused. “You’re right, though. I was an . I completely ignored how you tried to be friends with me. I’m sorry.”

Dayoung lightly squeezed Juyeon’s waist. “It’s alright. You’ve made up for it. You’re not an anymore.”

Juyeon hummed happily. “Thank you. For forgiving me.”

“Of course. You’re one of my favorite people.” She hoped Juyeon didn’t think too hard about what that meant, that they’d only been friends a few weeks and she was already so attached.

“You’re one of my favorite people, too.”

Relief flowed through Dayoung’s body.

“I think, before I met you, it was like- you’re like a chocolate chip cookie. Everyone before you was raisin, y’know?”

“Better for you?” Dayoung joked, not fully understanding Juyeon’s metaphor.

“No, I mean, I kept thinking people were gonna be one way, and then they’d act another way. You’re the real thing, and you don’t leave a bad aftertaste in my mouth like raisin cookies do.”

Dayoung smiled, glad that Juyeon couldn’t see her blush. “I’m flattered.”

“Speaking of which, do you wanna get cookies?”

“Only if you’re paying.”

“It would be my pleasure, Miss Chocolate Chip.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In exchange for Juyeon hauling to meet Dayoung’s friends, Dayoung had to haul and meet Juyeon’s friends. Like Dayoung, she only had two that really mattered to her, but unlike Dayoung, they were also her roommates.

Hyunjung and Soobin were slightly older - Hyunjung was a grad student and Soobin was a fourth-year undergrad - and in a happy relationship, but that didn’t seem to get in the way of their friendship with Juyeon at all.

“She gets the final say in our arguments,” Hyunjung quipped.
“Like what?” Dayoung asked. Hyunjung and Soobin didn’t seem like the type to fight much.

“ Well ,” Soobin said, “ somebody keeps stealing my food .”

“We buy it together!” Hyunjung protested.

Dayoung turned to Juyeon. “Are they like this all the time?”

“Yeah,” she grinned, “but they’re not serious.” She got up. “I gotta go to the bathroom. BRB.”

Dayoung waited until Juyeon was out of earshot. “Are you really her only friends?”

Hyunjung sighed. “Yeah.”

“ How? She’s so nice!”

“It’s a small campus. Everybody shares the same opinion,” Soobin said vaguely.

“What opinion?”

Soobin made a face, as if she was surprised at Dayoung’s ignorance. “If Juyeon hasn’t told you, I’m not going to.”

“She’s really lonely here. You’ve cheered her up a lot,” Hyunjung said.

They heard footsteps in the hallway, and everybody quickly shut up.

“What’d I miss?” Juyeon asked.

“I wanna get lunch,” Hyunjung said. “I’m hungry.”

“You’re always hungry,” Soobin said.

“It is lunchtime,” Juyeon pointed out.

“Are you hungry?” Soobin asked Dayoung.

Dayoung shrugged. “Not really.”

Juyeon hugged Dayoung’s arm and rested her head on Dayoung’s shoulder. “Noooo, don’t be a buzzkill. You’re so y, ahaha.”

Dayoung blushed lightly, glad that Juyeon couldn’t see her face. She didn’t miss the looks she got from Hyunjung and Soobin though. Widened eyes followed by mischievous grins that knew too much. She did her best to ignore them. “I could eat, yeah.”

Soobin cheered, and Juyeon unwrapped herself from Dayoung, almost jumping to open the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a light knock on Dayoung’s open door, and she looked up to see Yeonjung. She smiled. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Yeonjung replied, much less happily.

“What’s wrong?” Dayoung asked.

Yeonjung sat down next to Dayoung, eyes downcast. “So, I have a friend at Mulaney. I asked her if she knew Juyeon, and she said…”

Dayoung leaned in, frustrated by Yeonjung trailing off. “What, dude? What did she say?”

Yeonjung pursed her lips. “There was this couple, and she...she broke them up.”

Dayoung sighed. “What do you mean , she broke them up?”

“She seduced the girl. Convinced her to cheat on the guy. They broke up. That’s what I mean.”

Dayoung frowned. “That doesn’t...that doesn’t sound like her.”

“It’s the truth. The whole campus knows about it.” Yeonjung turned to look at Dayoung. “I think you should talk to her about this.”

Dayoung nodded, a wave of shock washing over her. “Yeah. Yeah, I will. Thanks for telling me.” She spoke slowly.

“Hey, I’m sorry. I know she’s your friend, but you deserve to know the kind of person she is.”

The kind of person she is? What was Yeonjung talking about?

“Can I talk to you later? I need to think.”

Yeonjung nodded and headed for the door. Just before leaving, she turned back around.

“I’m here for you, you know. Just say the word.”

“Thank you,” Dayoung murmured.

Yeonjung nodded and left, closing the door behind her.

Dayoung stared in space, into nothingness, confused beyond belief. Why would Juyeon do that? She couldn’t have. There must’ve been some misunderstanding?

Dayoung pulled out her phone and texted her.

can we facetime soon? i wanna talk to you

 

ofc!

how about tomorrow night? 7?

 

yeah

see you then

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hey, Dayomi! What’s up?”

Dayoung swallowed. She hated this. She hated every part of this, but she had to ask.

“My friend said there’s this...she said that she heard…” Dayoung groaned and dropped her head in her hands. “She said you were a homewrecker.”

“What?” Juyeon said.

Dayoung picked her head up, but she kept her eyes closed, as if that would keep reality at bay. “She said you broke up a couple.” Reluctantly, she opened her eyes. Juyeon was tensed up, her eyes downcast, her lips pressed together. “Did you?” Dayoung asked, even though it felt like Juyeon had already given her an answer.

“Yeah. I did.”

Dayoung was blown away. She expected Juyeon to deny it somehow. But if she said it was true-

“Why? Why would you hook up with someone who’s in a relationship? My friend said you seduced her.”

Juyeon scoffed. “I didn’t ‘seduce’ her. Nobody seduces Kang Sooyoung. She seduces you.”

“What do you mean? Were you seduced?”

“And if I was? Would that make it okay?” Juyeon’s voice was heavy with sorrow.

Dayoung frowned sadly. “No, it wouldn’t.”

Juyeon sighed heavily. “I don’t know what you want me to say. I did it. I’m the bad guy. Woo,” Juyeon said, waggling her fingers in the air.

“I just want to know why. I just wanna hear your side.”

Juyeon looked up at Dayoung and sighed. “Fine. Here’s my side. Sooyoung and Sungmin were people I’d heard of but never really met. Then, one night, I’ve got Miss Kang Sooyoung, campus queen, at my ing door, asking if I could give her her first lesbian experience. I didn’t ask about Sungmin. She was hot, and I was lonely. That’s it. It wasn’t until the next day that I heard that they were still together.” She blew a raspberry. “And then they weren’t. Which is my fault.”

Lonely . Soobin had said that too. What did it mean?



 

“Juyeon?”

“Hm?”

“How lonely were you, freshman year?”

Juyeon’s lips twisted into a frown at the memory. It looked like her mask was about to crack. “Very. More than this year. I wasn’t really close with Hyunjung and Soobin until this year, so I didn’t really- there wasn’t anyone to talk to.”

Holy  . Dayoung couldn’t even imagine how desperate Juyeon must’ve been for company.

There was something else.

“Was Sooyoung in your year? How did she find you?”

Juyeon shook her head. Her voice shook. “Nah. My name just...went around.” She scratched her neck, looking off at something beyond the camera. “I was really...around, freshman year.”

Dayoung nodded.

“So is that it? Are we- are we done? Are we over?” Juyeon asked, looking back at Dayoung.

“What? No! Why would we be over?”

Juyeon rolled her eyes. “Because I’m a horrible that wrecks relationships. You could be perfectly happy-” she sniffed, “-with Yeonjung.”

“ Yeonjung? What the does she have to do with anything?”

Juyeon’s eyes widened, and Dayoung could see the tears spilling. “You don’t know?”

Dayoung furrowed her eyebrows. “Know what? 

“I don’t know if I should say-”

“Tell me. Right now.” Dayoung’s tone forbade argument. What the  was going on?

Juyeon sighed and cradled her face in her hand. “She’s in love with you.”

“ What? 

Yeonjung. Yeonjung. In love with her? Yeonjung was in love with her?

Dayoung nearly fell into a deep spiral, before she saw Juyeon out of the corner of her eye. . Juyeon. Yeonjung could wait.

“You know what, I’ll deal with her later. I just wanna talk about you.”

“What is there to say?” Juyeon sniffed. “You’re done with me.”

“ No. You are not getting rid of me, Son Juyeon.”

Juyeon’s eyes widened in confusion. “You don’t...hate me?”

“ No , I don’t hate you , and it would take a lot more than that to get me to leave you alone. I’m like a leech: irritating, and absolutely stuck on you.” . Why did she say that? She couldn’t flirt with Juyeon right in the middle of this.

Juyeon didn’t seem to notice. She laughed shakily. “You’re not a leech. You’re like...a sticker. Pretty, and bright, and small.”

“Hey!”

Juyeon smiled at Dayoung’s indignance, and Dayoung felt her heart swell. If she was smiling, then she was feeling better, maybe. It felt like the hardest part was over.

“Well, if I’m a sticker, then you’re a fridge.”

“What? Why am I a fridge?”

“You’re big, and you’re hot in the back.”

Juyeon laughed so hard she threw her head back, and Dayoung chuckled despite herself.

“Lim Dayoung, what would I do without you?”

Dayoung almost retorted, but then she remembered what they’d talked about earlier. “I’d rather not find out,” she replied softly.

Juyeon met Dayoung’s eyes, and she smiled back. “Thank you. For not giving up on me.”

Dayoung wanted to hug her so badly. . “Of course not. I care about you.” I love you. “I’m not letting you go just because you made one mistake.”

“Pretty big mistake.”

“Well, you’re a pretty big person.” So pretty .

Juyeon’s smile widened. Dayoung could see her teeth now. “Fridge sized.”

“Yeah.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was only later, after she’d finished talking to Juyeon, that she remembered the other bombshell. You could be perfectly happy with Yeonjung. She’s in love with you . In an instant, another memory came back, from weeks ago, with Yeoreum.

She’s in love with someone else. It’s been two months.

That was months ago. Had Dayoung really been so oblivious this whole time?

Teeth gritted, she texted Yeoreum.

yeoreum?

 

yeah?

remember when you told me that yeonjung was in love with someone else? was that me?

 

...yeah

 

i have to talk to her

 

what are you gonna say?

 

idk

but i have to say something

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I know you’re in love with me.”

Yeonjung didn’t even try to deny it. “Yeah.”

“But I can’t- I can’t be that person for you.”

Yeonjung wouldn’t look at her. “I know.”

Dayoung didn’t know how to respond to that. How was she supposed to tell Yeonjung to get over her? It’s not like feelings came and went in a matter of days. She knew that.

“What do you want me to do?”

She sighed. “I don’t know. Just...keep your eyes open, I guess? I’m not the one for you, but I know there’s someone out there for you.”

Yeonjung scoffed. “You know? 

“Yeah, I know,” Dayoung said, quiet but certain. Yeonjung turned to look at her, surprised. “You’re so kind and sweet and amazing, Yeonjungie. I know you’re gonna find somebody that loves you how you deserve. It’s just not me.”

Yeonjung smiled at that, and she hugged Dayoung tight. Dayoung hugged her back, relieved that she hadn’t ruined everything.

“Thank you,” she murmured, “for not freaking out.”

“Of course not. You’re one of my best friends. I just don’t want you stuck at a dead end.”

She felt Yeonjung nod against her. “Okay.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So you’re still not gonna tell her? You're going to live right by her, on campus, and not tell her?”

You’re one to talk,” Dayoung countered.

Yeoreum crossed her arms and glared at Dayoung. “If Yeonjung had slept with me, I would’ve told her right away that-”

“So get her to sleep with you!”

Yeoreum’s glare darkened. “You moron, she’s barely gotten over you! 

Dayoung gaped. “But-but it’s been weeks-“”

“If Juyeon turned you down right now, how long would it take you to get over her?”

Dayoung didn’t reply.

“Exactly.”

Dayoung bit her lip in thought. “What if I set you two up on a blind date?”

Yeoreum frowned. “How would it be blind if we know each other?”

“Because she wouldn’t know it’s you until the date.”

Yeoreum checked her lip worriedly. “I don’t know.”

“Oh, come on! Think about it!”

“I-I will.”

“If she doesn’t like it, you can say I just made some stuff up.”

“And you think Yeonjung notice when we leave at the same time, and go to the same place?”

Dayoung smirked. “You’re smarter than that. You’ll think of something.”

“And if I don’t?” Yeoreum asked indignantly.

Dayoung smiled. “You will.” She pulled out her phone and texted Yeonjung: can i set you up on a blind date?

“What are you doing?” Yeoreum asked. She reached for Dayoung’s phone, but Dayoung moved it out of Yeoreum’s reach.

“I’m asking Yeonjung if she’s interested in a blind date.” Her phone buzzed.

no

“She said yes! And I know you’d hate for her to be stood up, right?” Dayoung said. She didn’t wait for an answer, typing away into her phone.

pleeeeeeeeease i think you two would get along great

 

….fine

 

Yeoreum groaned. “Fine. But know that I hate you.”

Dayoung grinned and hugged Yeoreum. “That’s okay. I know you’ll thank me later.”

“I won’t. Keep dreaming.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

how was your date? Dayoung asked, well after the date should have ended. She’d expected to hear something from at least one of her friends, but they’d both been radio silent. She was confused.

 

didn’t show up

 

what?

 

i waited ten minutes and then left. yeoreum took me out to dinner instead.

 

that’s so weird

my friend is usually on time

 

[shrug emoji]

thanks for trying

 

np

say hi to yeoreum for me

 

As soon as she’d finished talking to Yeonjung, she texted Yeoreum.

what happened?

 

she left

and then after ten minutes i followed her

and she said her date wasn’t there

so i took her to dinner to cheer her up

 

Dayoung groaned.

what the dude

 

weren’t you the one who said i was smart

that i’d think of something

 

not like this!!!!! wtf tell her!!!!!

 

no

and you won’t if you ever want to talk to me again

 

fine

i won’t

but you should

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dayoung and Juyeon were walking through the park. Juyeon had come over because she had news, but she wouldn’t say what it was. It wasn’t until they were almost at the end of the path that Juyeon finally said it.

“So,” she cleared . “Dayoung.”

“Yes, Juyeon?”

Juyeon looked at the ground, then back up at Dayoung, and she smiled. “I got in.”

“ What?! 

“I got in!”

Dayoung smiled too, and she hugged Juyeon tightly. “I’m so proud of you! I knew you could do it!” And without even thinking, she kissed Juyeon on the cheek.

Juyeon giggled. “What was that for?”

Dayoung shrugged it off. “You deserve it. For getting in.”

“Can I deserve free lunch too?” Juyeon asked mischievously.

Dayoung smiled lightly. “Sure you can.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dayoung was going over her notes on genre when she heard incessant knocking and giggling at her door. Confused, she got up and opened the door to see Yeoreum and Yeonjung, looking more happy and clingy than usual.

Then it clicked. Dayoung felt her face break into a wide grin.

“Are you two-”

“Yeah,” Yeonjung said, conspicuously wrapping her hand around Yeoreum’s.

“I told her,” Yeoreum beamed.

“I’m so happy for you!” Dayoung said, pulling both of them into a hug.

“We were gonna go out to celebrate. Do you wanna come with?”

Dayoung almost said yes, but then she remembered. “I can’t. I’m sorry. I have a huge paper to finish.”

Yeoreum nodded in understanding. “Good luck.”

“Yeah,” Yeonjung echoed. “You got this.”

Dayoung smiled. “Thanks. Go have fun. I gotta finish this.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dayoung hiccuped. That was what happened when she drank too fast.

But she’d wanted to. She’d earned it. She’d just finished a loooooong paper, and that was the last thing she had due for that class. So she’d celebrated. A little. A lot. Who could blame her?

She felt lonely. She’d drank alone, since it was a Sunday, and her friends had classes tomorrow. Well, she did too, but not until noon.

But still. She was lonely.

She wondered what Juyeon was up to.

“Hello?” A groggy voice came through Dayoung’s phone.

“Heyyyy, Juyeon.”

A moment later, Juyeon’s camera .Juyeon looked concerned, even as she rubbed the sleep out of one eye.

“Dayoung, what’s going on? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Dayoung pouted. “I was just wondering what you were up to.”

“It’s almost 1 A.M. I’m sleeping. Why aren’t you?”

“I’m sorry. I’ll leave you alone-”

“No, no, it’s fine. I’m here. What’s up?”

“Juyeon?” A strange voice  cut in. “Can you take it outside?”

“Yeah. Sorry, Hyunjung.” Dayoung watched Juyeon get out of bed and walk  into the hallway. “What’s up?”

“I just finished my last paper for this class.”

Congratulations, Dayoung. Are you alone?”

“Yeah. I couldn’t drink with anyone because they…” It suddenly hit her that Juyeon had classes tomorrow. “Oh. I’m sorry for bothering you.”

”Dayoung, you’re not bothering me. What is it?”

“You have classes tomorrow.”

“Yeah.”

“I’m bothering you. You should be sleeping.”

Juyeon huffed. “I can sleep later. It’s okay. I just wanna be sure you’re okay.”

Dayoung looked away from her phone screen. She couldn’t meet Juyeon’s eyes, so big and beautiful and full of displaced concern.

“I was just lonely,” she said guiltily.

“Well, I’m here now. You don’t have to feel lonely anymore.”

Dayoung looked up again. Juyeon was sitting outside, her knees pulled up to her chest. Dayoung could see her pale pink pajamas. And she was smiling so sweetly.

Dayoung’s breath caught in . Juyeon was so beautiful .

“Dayoung? Is everything okay?”

“Do you ever- do you ever really wanna tell somebody something, but you can’t?”

“Yeah.”

Dayoung swallowed.

“Is there something you wanna tell me?”

“Yeah.”

“What is it?”

“I-” Dayoung swallowed again and looked down at the floor. “I can’t.”

“That’s okay. You don’t have to.”

“But I want to.” Dayoung set her teeth. She needed to get this over with, or it’d bother her forever. “What if I told you next time you came over? I promise.”

Juyeon bit her lip. “You don’t have to-”

“I want to. I will . Just, next time you come over, remind me. I swear.”

“But you’re drunk.”

“No, Juyeon, listen. This is something that’s been bothering me for a long time, but I was too much of a to say it when I was sober. I’d tell you now, but I’m still scared.”

“Dayoung-”

“Come over. I swear I’ll tell you. On my life.”

“Is it bad?” Juyeon asked, eyes full of concern again.

Dayoung let out a weak laugh. “It depends.”

“On?”

Dayoung swallowed. “On you. That’s why you deserve to hear it in person.” She felt herself start to shake. What was she doing?

Juyeon’s eyebrows creased. “Are you sure everything’s okay?”

Dayoung nodded and swallowed. “Can we talk about something else?”

Juyeon nodded slowly. “Sure.”

“Where are you sitting right now?”

“Outside. There’s some grass right by the building…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Juyeon came over a few days later, even though it was a Tuesday, and she had classes the next day, but she insisted that she didn’t have that much homework due, so it was fine.

Dayoung still worried.

“You took an hour long bus ride here, just for me? And then you’re gonna have to take an hour long bus ride back?! On a Tuesday?! 

“Well, maybe if you hadn’t been talking in riddles, I wouldn’t be here!”

“Riddles? What riddles?” Dayoung asked.

“Remember, on Sunday, you called me? Said you had to tell me something? Said you promised to tell me the next time you saw me in person , that it might be bad, or not, depending on me? That riddle.”

“Oh.” Dayoung blushed and looked down at her lap. She’d been sort of hoping Juyeon had forgotten, or dismissed it as a dream, but that clearly did not happen. “Yeah.”

“You don’t have to tell me exactly what it was if you don’t want to. But I’m tired of riddles.. Just-” Juyeon took Dayoung’s hands in her own, “-know that you can tell me anything, Dayoung-ah.”

“Thanks,” Dayoung said quietly. “You deserve to know, anyway. Besides, Yeoreum has been bugging me to tell you.” She chuckled.

“What?”

“I’m in love with you.” She said it softly, just above a whisper, as if that would soften the impact, or keep things from changing.

“Really?” Juyeon sounded shocked. Dayoung didn’t dare look at her face.

“Yeah.”

“Me, too.”

“ What?! 

“I mean, I’m in love with you, too.”

Dayoung looked up slowly. Juyeon was looking at her, eyes wide and sincere.

Without thinking, Dayoung kissed her.

Juyeon kissed her back, matching Dayoung’s pressure and snaking a hand around Dayoung’s neck.

They broke apart, but barely. Dayoung could still feel Juyeon’s breaths on her lips.

“Am I dreaming?”

“No,” Juyeon said. “I’m in love with you.”

“I’m in love with you, too.”

They kissed again, and Dayoung’s heart soared with joy.

“I can’t believe this.”

Juyeon pinched Dayoung, so lightly that it didn’t even hurt. “Does that help?”

“No,” Dayoung said, smiling.

“What about this?! ” Juyeon cried, tickling Dayoung’s armpits.

Dayoung giggled and squirmed. “Stop, stop , stop it!”

Juyeon grinned. “Still dreaming?”

Dayoung sighed and rolled her eyes, as if that would hide the wide smile on her face. “I guess not.”

Juyeon hummed happily and wrapped her arms around Dayoung’s waist. Dayoung closed her eyes and burrowed her face into Juyeon’s neck. She was warm, and comfy, and in love with Dayoung . It felt surreal to think about.

“Dayoung-ah,” Juyeon said softly.

“Hm?”

“Your homework.”

Right. Crap . “.”

“Maybe I should—“

“Please stay. Just a little longer.” Dayoung tightened her grip on Juyeon. “Please. My homework can wait.”

She felt Juyeon relax. “Okay.”

There was a comfortable silence, for a while.

“Can I ask, um…” Dayoung separated from Juyeon and looked at her. “...when you realized…y’know...?” Juyeon asked.

Dayoung blushed and fiddled with her hands. “Um, kinda always? Like, after you left that morning, I really thought you would text me or something. You seemed to really listen to me the night before, and I appreciated that a lot. I liked you a lot since then.” She looked up shyly. “And you?”

Juyeon avoided Dayoung’s gaze. “I...it was a lot later.”

“That’s okay.”

Juyeon cleared . “It was...when you said one mistake was not- that you’d still be my friend. That was when I felt like you were different, and special.”

Dayoung squeezed Juyeon’s hands. “You are, too.”

Juyeon shook her head. “Nah. I don’t have your heart, or your empathy.”

“You don’t know that.”

Juyeon grimaced. “I don’t know if I’d still trust me after what I did.”

Dayoung frowned. “You’re too hard on yourself.”

Juyeon bit her lip. “Agree to disagree. How much homework do you have?”

Dayoung groaned. “Too much. Homophobic. Wanna stay with you.” She punctuated her words by burrowing her head into Juyeon’s lap.

“Chill. I’m staying here. I can talk to you while you do your homework.”

Dayoung looked up, hopeful. “You can stay?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh, great! I actually do have some stuff due tomorrow, so…”

Juyeon laughed. “What is it?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The new semester was about to start, which meant it was time for moving in.

Dayoung groaned as she set down the last box. “Finally. We can stop.”

Juyeon wrapped her arms around Dayoung’s stomach from behind and lightly kissed her temple. “We still have to unpack everything.”

Dayoung groaned harder. “Can’t it wait?”

She thought she could feel Juyeon smiling against her skin. “Yeah, it can wait.”

“Good.” Dayoung turned and captured Juyeon’s lips with her own. “I have some things I wanna do.”

“Oh?” Juyeon raised an eyebrow. “Like what?”

Dayoung grinned. “Liiiiike,” she kicked her shoes off and hopped on one of the beds, “breaking in our new beds!”

Juyeon bit her lip and eyed Dayoung suspiciously. “I just hope the breaking isn’t literal.”

Dayoung hopped off the bed and pouted. “You’re no fun.”

Juyeon smiled, moving in to wrap her arms around Dayoung. “Maybe I just have a different idea of fun,” she said, and kissed Dayoung deeply.

Dayoung smiled into the kiss. “I like your idea,” she said. “Let’s do that.”

“No problem,” Juyeon replied easily, kissing Dayoung again.