Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday

There is an unmistakable sound of a door opening and shuffling of feet, tiptoeing lightly as not to make any sounds. There are girlish, hushed but excited whispers and a little squeal – accompanied by a scolding and a low groan. A rush of mixed scents, with mint and honey easily overpowering others, infiltrates the dim room.

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

Hitomi blinks her eyes open with how several scents attacked her nose, despite the familiarity of them, her paranoid Omega-sense tingled and force her to be alert. She sleepily looks up, meeting the soft brown orbs of her mate, gazing so lovingly at her, with pink lips pulled into a gentle smile and for the moment Hitomi forgot how to breathe – her heart speeds, cheeks warm, and very much in love.

She ignores the light squealing coming from the others as Chaewon lightly helps her up, her friends lightly singing their version of ‘Happy Birthday’. It’s weird to have Yena, Chaeyeon, Eunbi, and Yujin to sing the song in what supposed to be pianissimo, but somehow they have done it beautifully.

Somehow, in the middle of the singing, Chaewon got pulled away and is pushed back from the crowd, her figure is replaced by Nako – Hitomi’s best friend, fiercest protector, the captain of Beta Knights, and someone who will definitely be her pups’ main godmother.

“Happy birthday cheeks,” Nako whispers, and though it’s dim and Hitomi couldn’t see her expression that well, Nako’s bright eyes are glimmering with sincerity – or is it tears? Either way, at the end of her heartfelt speech, Hitomi’s eyes are teary while Chaeyeon and Eunbi are bawling their eyes out, Minju reluctantly provides comfort to Chaeyeon with Sakura busying herself recording the precious moment with her phone.

Nako ends her turn by hugging her best friend tightly, whispering another ‘happy birthday’ as she lets go, allowing the two maknaes to sit on each of Hitomi’s side.

Wonyoung and Yujin deliver their joined birthday speech in much simpler words, but still, causes Eunbi to snort messily and Hyewon has to kick her out from being such a mood-breaker. In the end, both maknaes pull Hitomi to a tight hug, not forgetting to land a very wet kiss on each of Hitomi’s cheek. Nako is quick to pull their ear and effectively unlatch them from Hitomi without any real harm done. Wonyoung, the youngest and less tactful one, did complain but a simple glance coming from the Pure Alpha who is deliberately placed on the far back, shuts her up.

Eunbi comes next, still teary-eyed and she never finishes her birthday speech with how loudly she cries and Hyewon has to pull her back to calm her down. Chaeyeon opts to take her turn, delivering a short but impactful speech that renders Hitomi a sobbing mess. A happy, sobbing mess.

The next one is Yena. Born as an entertainer, the self-proclaimed ‘vanguard’ of Beta Knights makes the atmosphere lively with her amusing but earnest speech. Hitomi’s smile is wide and bright as Yena ends her turn with a tight hug, along with a small warning that she demands to be at least the best maid. She humors her demands with a whisper,

If you indeed marry Yuri.”

That leaves the duck flustered, but laughing as she nods her affirmation, her eyes staring straight to a certain hamster. Swiftly, the Halfling pushes Yuri upfront and under Hitomi’s teasing stare, Yuri can only mutter her wish for Hitomi – the speech she planned a day beforehand went flying out of the window with the indirect proposal coming from her girlfriend. She promises she will repeat her speech later when she’s not distracted. Hitomi agrees and pulls Yuri to a hug.

Sensing that it’s best to be her turn, Hyewon steps forward, pushing Minju and Sakura away lightly with little protest. Like Hyewo they know and love, she delivers her speech smoothly but shyly, her volume just above a whisper. She kisses the crown of Hitomi’s head, whispering an “A very merry and happy birthday” before enveloping the younger Omega to warm embrace, reinforced by a comforting scent of warm chocolate.

As Hyewon slowly untangles her limbs off Hitomi, Minju takes her place on Hitomi’s side, smiling ever so gently. Her eyes, filled with nothing but love and adoration make Hitomi whimper; eyes tearful again as she melts, touched by the sincerity on the Pure Omega’s eyes.

The Omega listens as Minju launches to her speech with pure intent, their eyes never left each other.

Yena coos, finding the gesture of each other sweet but Eunbi lightly scolds her. Nudging Chaewon with her elbow, Eunbi smiles to the frowning Pure Alpha.

She understands Chaewon is feeling insecure with how everyone witnessing love pouring out from Hitomi’s eyes and it’s not directed towards her, but rather someone else. Minju has been Hitomi’s pillar of strength, a perfect role-model, and someone she trusts with her life second after Nako. They might have started off on the wrong foot with how Minju dated Chaewon at the beginning of their career together, but the end was what matters.

With Minju’s turn coming to end (Chaewon holds her breath as Minju embraced her Hitomi), Sakura passes her phone to Yujin, trusting her to record the moment.

Like her mate, Sakura’s speech for her is short and a little bit clumsy with the use of occasional Japanese and English for an unfathomable reason. Yujin filming up-close doesn’t help her. But what Hitomi could discern, was that Sakura is proud of her. Despite whatever had happened last year, Hitomi stayed strong and even conquered her fear of being around Alphas.

“Honda Hitomi,” Sakura smiles softly, her voice slightly cracking up as she tries to hold back her tears. Behind her, everyone’s eyes are tearful as well.

“I’m – no,” Sakura shakes her head, “we, are glad you are still here. With us.”

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

Amidst the heart-warming atmosphere, Hitomi notices Chaewon is yet to give her wishes and short speech. She consults this to Eunbi in a whisper and to her confusion, Eunbi barks out her laughter – to which the others, after sharing some knowing glances, laugh merrily as well. Everyone’s laughter doubles as Hyewon, ever the slow-responder, chokes on her cake with the information finally registering in her brain.

At the corner of her eyes, Hitomi swears Chaewon is incredibly red and embarrassed.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

With her phone memory running out and the maknaes realized they still have school, the ten of them reluctantly retreats to their own bedroom, with Hyewon sneakily hoards all the snacks herself.

Tired and sleepy but happy, Hitomi turns toward her roommate – her mate, her Alpha, one and only Kim Chaewon with a smile. The Alpha smiles back and locks the door, switching out the lights and climbs into their bed to cuddle with her mate, her Omega.

Tucking her head under Chaewon’s chin, Hitomi lets out a soft smile as she listens to the erratic heartbeat of the older woman. It’s as if Chaewon is anticipating or planning something, but unable to execute it due to some reasons she doesn’t know of.

It’s endearing.

“Hitoma,”

Hitomi pulls back slightly to see her unnie’s expression, but Chaewon stubbornly keeps her in place.

“Yes, unnie?”

“…Happy birthday,” Chaewon finally murmurs after a few seconds of silence, burying her nose on Hitomi’s crown, kissing it lightly. “At noon,” She pauses and Hitomi listens as her heartbeat steadies, “…Please go out on a date with me.”

Listening to her unnie’s request somehow makes Hitomi’s heart breaks a little.

After all these times, Chaewon still doubts her feeling. Still haunted by her past mistake. Still haunted by the fact that she might do her wrong again, that leads to the horrible consequences of Hitomi not coming back.

“Yes,” Hitomi breathes out lightly. She has no choice but to agree, but that doesn't mean she isn't willing, either. She smiles softly as she looks up in response to Chaewon pulling her closer to her embrace. Their eyes meet each other and despite the darkness around them, both can clearly see.

The glint on each other’s brown orbs shows nothing but pure love.

“Thank gahdniss,” Chaewon finally whispers, dipping her head as she captures Hitomi’s lips in a gentle and loving kiss.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Happy Birthday, My Love," Chaewon whispers, her lips lightly kissing Hitomi's nape. Hitomi giggles, snuggling further to the bed sheet -- and effectively, Chaewon's embrace. Chaewon pulls back slightly, and under the dim light peeking from the crack of the curtains, she marvels the marks scattered along Hitomi's shoulders.

With these marks, she owns Hitomi -- but this time, Hitomi owns her, too.

 

 

FIN.