Flabbergast

Flabbergast || Ssambbang

As my shoes touches the ground, a fresh and earthy smell slowly hits me. First rain pours down from the gloomy sky and battered the dry street, fragrant dispersed into thin air around me; what was it called again? Petrichor? That’s it, petrichor, it was a pleasant smell to my nose but this is no time for me to enjoy it as I feel myself getting a bit soaked while I walk.

 

It started raining heavily so I began to run, looking for a place I could take shelter on for a while because I didn’t bring an umbrella. I stepped inside a building without thinking that much. Taking notice that it was a café, the interior inside was well-decorated. Cream-colored walls with some aesthetic paintings hanging, arranged flower in a vase at the counter, high polished dark walnut floor; all of these simplicity taking me in like it was a perfect magazine cover to look at.

 

Soft jazz music was playing, audible as background noise while I shove the water lightly on my shirt. Scanning over the place, I was looking for an empty table which is just around the corner of the room. I dragged my feet, walking past some tables with light steps into the table I’m heading. I seated myself on the mahogany chair, soft cushion attached on top of it, relaxing my body right away.

 

Soon enough a tiny café staff approached me, giving menu for me to look and order something. I’m not really a fan of coffee so I ordered a caramel hot chocolate, thinking it would be best to drink something warm while raining outside. The staff asked me if I want to read some books or magazines while waiting for my order or not which I decline politely. She motioned her hand at a mini bookshelf close to the counter to let me know if I ever gonna change my mind before she left me.

 

Is it because I’m here alone that the staff had to offer customer to read something while we wait? This café is quite unique. My mind wondered.

 

While I wait, I glanced over the window, checking if it was still raining or not. But then my gaze averted to a certain table near the window. It was quite far from my seat as it’s across the room but there was a lone girl sitting there, accompanied with book in her hands. She looks so immersed in the book with a slice of cheesecake and a probably a cup of coffee or something on her table.

 

I could feel my breath stopped for a second when I first saw her. She has this white pale skin, long blonde hair with her bangs to the side; exposing half of her forehead which gives off a mature image. Is she older than me? Same age? Or maybe younger? Her serious face while reading was... utterly cute. Then the previous staff walked over to my table, bringing my order then placed it carefully on the table, telling me to enjoy before she leave again. That pulled me back from what I have been doing earlier.

 

Have I stared at that blonde girl so much?

 

Still reading, a slight smile apparent on her face; making me feel that the rain might be stopped immediately and being replaced with a bright sun instead... which is not the case. It was difficult for me to stop admiring her beauty, or perhaps it’s nearly impossible now.

 

Who is she?

 

I wanted to greet her but her alluring side profile making my world and words stumbled in my mouth. Whenever she smiles I felt a jolt inside my chest, a desire to talk to her boils from my blood and bones. To share fun stories, to jokes around playfully with her so that I could always see those astonishing smiles.

 

What is her name?

 

Oh I do really wanted to greet her, befriending and getting to know better of her but I didn’t have the courage to do so. Because that’s not my style or rather because I’m stunned, silenced by her charm, and mostly being helpless by it. Her presence was like the caramel, filling the cup in front of me with nothing but sweetness and soothing feeling. So adoring her from far is the least I could do at this moment, also that’s enough for me too.

 

***

 

The next day I visited the café again at the same time during my break, think I’m kind of hoping to see that girl again. I seated myself in the corner again but her table was being occupied with other people; not her. My eyes quickly took glances all over the room, searching thoroughly for the figure who maybe sitting in another table. But nope. My hands dropped on my side, silently sighing because I really didn’t see her anywhere in the café.

 

Eyes drifted outside the window, I could feel the sky is slowly collapsing on my mind. And it continues falling onto my chest, wrapped around then squeezes it tightly with plenty of wonders. Maybe mixed with an uncanny feeling of regret that I absolutely did nothing, not greeting her when I had the chance to.

 

Love at first sight?

 

I simply think that phrase is ridiculous to happen in real life to be honest. But why does this usually calm heart of mine keeps on wondering and thinking about that girl then? If she knows that I’ve been looking at her the whole time yesterday, what would she think? Would she think I’m some kind of a weirdo and creeped her out? Is that why she didn’t come here today? See, she effortlessly invaded my mind like this even without her presence here.

 

I guess I’ll just order something and enjoy my own time here in the café. Maybe I should just accept the fact that I saw someone so attractive yesterday and bury it all on the back of my mind, getting over the regret.

 

After ordering something I walked over to the bookshelf, examining the books there that I could read in the meantime. Then the tiny staff came at me with a welcoming smile. She offered help to choose a suitable book for me so I asked about the book that the girl near the window read yesterday.

 

“Oh you meant Hii-chan? One second then,” the staff browsed the shelf, studying the neatly placed books.

 

Hii-chan? A Japanese? So this is her nickname I guess.

 

Somehow it seemed my cheeks has turned into a slight rosy color because the staff smiled widely before picking up a book from the shelf, lending it to me right after. I thanked her as I look at her nametag which read as ‘Yabuki Nako’, I bow my head showing my gratitude because I wouldn’t know what Hiichan was reading if it wasn’t for her. Just by the name I assumed the staff is also a Japanese, probably that’s why she knows of Hiichan or maybe they are friends or something like that.

 

I went back to my table, seated myself as I open the first page of the book. It was actually a light novel; and my mind lurked again, recalling the memories of her yesterday. She’s calm on the outside but her face is readable for me, it’s easy to know if the book she was reading is having a sad or happy moment. I could tell by her expression and I found myself adoring that side of her.

 

As soon as I open the second page, my eyes widened. There was a post-it, attached on the crepe paper.

 

Hi, are you interested in reading this novel? –Honda Hitomi”

 

My heart flipped right away, doing somersault maybe thrice in the air before going back to where it should be. I failed to realize that I'm standing now, not sitting, and perhaps slammed the table out of my consciousness because I could feel people in the café were gazing at me weirdly. Putting an awkward smile, I bowed my head low, apologizing for the embarrassing scene I caused.

 

Back on my seat, I heaved a long sigh, bringing palm to cover my face but once my eyes sees the note I feel thrilled again; in a more calming way. Sigh turned into a big smile, plastered on my face as I feel happy inside and I couldn’t contain it. Do you know how it feels when you admire someone from far, thinking that the person wouldn’t know your presence but they somehow know and talks to you? Well, indirectly talks to me, in my case.

 

So her full name is Honda Hitomi.

 

My mind wonders into deep thoughts once more, why did she use a post-it note like this? She could just try to ask me, or am I that intimidating to talks to? Or was she shy, just like me? Well, that’s very cute of her if it’s the latter one. If the post-it is the only way to communicate to her then so be it. I grabbed a pen from my bag, writing a reply to her on the post-it.

 

I saw you were really enjoying the story the other day so I got curious and just started to read it now. –Kim Chaewon”

 

***

 

We keep on exchanging notes since that day, we talked about the novel progress along our read. The small post-its changed and grow into larger ones as we talk more. She would write what she has in mind about some of the characters, about their actions; and even to the point that she lets me know that our schedule isn’t matching for a meet up. The first time I saw Hiichan in the café was just because her lecturer didn’t come thus her class was cancelled. She put it all on her note, or rather our secret note.

 

I, too, told her that I’m also a student but not a regular one because I’m taking night classes due of my work during the day. I have two days off on Sunday and Monday, but I usually went home to my parents’ house on Sunday. Hence we really don’t have the chance to meet even deep inside I wanted to, very badly.

 

Until one day Hiichan wrote that she’s going to wait for my classes to end so we can meet even for a little bit. The note successfully infiltrated my mind during all my classes that evening, making me fail to focus on the lecture. I kept on looking on my watch every five minutes even though I know doing this will only makes the time go even slower. Two minutes before the class end, my finger kept light tapping the table impatiently and stopped only when the bell finally ring. I gathered all my things, putting in the bag and quickly dash outside the classroom.

 

It was half past nine when I arrived in front of the café. I tried to catch my breath as I open the glassy door, leading me inside with all the familiar feeling I had whenever I step into this unique café. The café that changed my life into something more meaningful, something I look forward to, and lastly into meeting a certain someone that I adore so deeply.

 

My legs nervously walked to that one table, the one near the window. I could feel my heart thumping hard inside my chest but it stopped for few seconds when I saw Hiichan smiling softly. Not because of the novel she was reading, this time she smiled right at my direction, at me to be exact. I flashed a smile back, I didn’t know what kind of smile I gave her but she giggles a little. A giggle that I would want to hear every day if possible.

 

We spent the time there for not too long because the café is closing at ten but we chatted happily. We talked about the novel, about how was our day going; and about ourselves. I could feel both of us tried to get to know each other better because somehow our conversation never ends up boring.

 

Soon enough we decided to go home, such a pity but the café needs to be closed anyway. I offered to walk her to the bus station which she nodded her head. We walked through the sleeping city, greeted by the streetlights and night breeze sweep over us. I zipped my pastel pink jacket tighter and wrap Hiichan with my padded jacket from the back. Well since I have night classes, it’s getting chilly when I get home late so... Yeah, I usually bring the black padded jacket even when I wear a jacket already.

 

Hiichan looked startled when I suddenly wrap the jacket around her body but she thanked me for it. We walked more until we’re standing at the station, waiting for her bus to come. Once the bus came she bid her farewell but my head was buzzing, my mind telling me to follow her and get on which I did. I just couldn’t let her go home alone after what she has done for me, waiting for me until this late to be exact. Or maybe it was just my excuse because I don’t want to part just yet.

 

We sat next to each other on the bus with her being the one near the window. She must have really liked to be able to see the scenery outside the glass I pondered. As the bus moving, I could feel her head slowly leaning on my shoulder. It doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable at all, I’d rather say it’s very comfortable thus I lightly rest my head on top of hers. I would lend her my shoulder every time she wanted to; she can just lean on me. It felt really nice to have someone relied on you even if it’s just a small thing, a simple gesture, you know.

 

After two stations, we finally got off the bus. She said it was okay to part way there but I insisted, gaining a chuckle from Hiichan. I’m not a really stubborn person but I could be one when it comes to her, it feels almost magical how someone could change me in short amount of time. That includes me reading a novel, something I never enjoyed in doing before I met her.

 

Hiichan linked her hand on me as we walk, clutching it quite tightly like she was holding onto her dear life. Truthfully, the gesture caused a tingling sensation in my stomach. I tried my best not to smile so wide but I failed miserably. Good thing that it was night time because there are less people around, so we couldn’t care about people watching us.

 

After what I think around ten minutes of walk, we finally pulled up in front of her house. She slides off my padded jacket, giving it back and thanked me once again. Her eyes were glistening, touched by the moonlight that shines brilliantly that night.

 

“Oh hey, I like it,” she muttered so softly.

 

I blinked my eyes repeatedly which makes her giggle again, I just couldn’t believe what my ears just heard. “W-what?” I asked cautiously, brows furrowed; still not grasping what she was implying.

 

“Meeting you like this, I like it. Yeah, maybe I started to like you, Chaewon-unnie,” I heard her tone clearly this time. Every word that came out from that night was really sweet, perhaps even sweeter than the cake we had at the café. I could feel my heart and soul flies away before it get struck by her words.

 

I mustered up every courage that I have in me before I reply.

 

“I like you too, Hiichan.”

 

I wanted to say love rather than like to be honest, but love itself is a very strong word. I didn’t want to scare her away by saying that word so soon when we barely just started to know about each other; and even though I have fallen for her already. So I held back, I will wait until Hiichan being more comfortable with me and said it first; which I’m sure that day will gradually come in the future. Whenever she is ready, I’m ready too.

 

 

Because once I started, I won’t fall back.

 

 

A/N: Hey again readers! Finally posted this Ssambbang story here too. At first I thought it'd be just around the length as my previous oneshots but it seems I'm mistaken LOL. Thanks again for reading this, hoped you all enjoyed this one too!